• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Member Suspension Appreciation/Depreciation Thread

Page 110 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well ebandit and djp I have been clear in the past that I support accusations of sock puppetry towards new members. the ones who come out of nowhere and start posting none stop in the clinic. The ones who somewhere between 99 to 101% of the time are clearly sockpuppets.

So the whole - but we will be constantly abused, argument is a none starter.

And ebandit,before you go on your civil rights "all members should be treated equally" protest, its not exactly uncommon for some forums to treat new users differently and have a - prove yourself, period. And I doubt many of those forums receive anywhere near the same trolling as this one.

In my opinion, calling a member a sockpuppet isn't that big a deal. Historically almost all clinic poster started off as at least 50% other forum posters. You happen to be the one guy who from day 1 starts mass posting exclusively in the clinic exclusively in Lance/ Sky threads and posts the exact same posts as dozens of other accounts that were banned for trolling, well just suck it up and keep posting. Ice up son.

The whole campaign against it is based on this false idea that everyone would just always accuse everyone of being sockpuppets. I doubt in my 25 000 posts you would find more than a dozen were I accused someone of being a sockpuppet and I think all were correct.

Also, I don't agree with the - report to the mod and let them deal with it behind the scenes, at least in my last case, beacause I wasn't trying to get the poster banned. I was just offering a "I see you, you ain't fooling me". Wendy is mostly being harmless atm anyway, so I'm not particularly concerned if he is banned. I do want to though be able to tell posters who I believe are sockpuppeting, when he comes back - listen mate, you aint foolin me.

And Mrhender, I don't think I was "name calling". I merely informed the poster that I think he is a former banned user, I didn't insult him in any way.

Finally, in case any mod wants to be the one to go "Shut up hitch, we say you aren't allowed to accuse members of being sockpuppets and I will ban you if you do it again, you ***", I think my post makes it pretty clear that it is all my opinion.

I'm not a mod, never wanted to be a mod (don't need the power trip ;)). In my opinion mods should be a little harder on trolls because the danger of trolling on this forum, one of the most trolled in the world, far outweighs the danger of one poster occasionally being told they are a sockpuppet. And with a little logic (ie mods using their heads and not allowing posters to abuse it) there would be very little danger of that at all. Just how I see things. Mods don't see it that way, oh well. Not the end of the world. Just like the posters who got accused of being sockpuppets. Wasn't the end of the world either was it?

Those are good arguments. Some self-policing can definitely be an effective countermeasure. Calling out sock-puppetry when the thread is already derailed by a returning user probably deserves leniency. And I don't doubt that many, if not most, of the accusations are spot on. But I would still rather be able to report it knowing it is against the rules rather than have to derail a thread by defending myself.

The thing is, a fair few of our members - and even some of the mods - weren't here during the bad old days of BPC and other pro-Armstrong cronies. The forum frequently became unreadable and those of us who were around at the time are reluctant for it to reoccur.

If anyone thinks that the constant rehashing in the Sky threads for each new user is bad now, you should have seen things in 2009-11!

...........again i feel that mods have been rather too accepting of talk about other members

..........stick to the topic in hand as forum rules

.........as to 'members rights?' i would like to see any members posts that are over long full of their own self

importance with excess hyperbole ....................................................

zapped as soon as they appear on the forum

Mark L

Re:

ebandit said:
...........again i feel that mods have been rather too accepting of talk about other members

..........stick to the topic in hand as forum rules

.........as to 'members rights?' i would like to see any members posts that are over long full of their own self

importance with excess hyperbole ....................................................

zapped as soon as they appear on the forum

Mark L

How many days is it again till hog comes back? You know, since you are keeping count. Only a few more x left to fill in no?

Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
thrawn said:
BigMac said:
Can't bother to take a look but sniper, sceptic and hog should all be back within a week or so.

Ryo and Foxxy too.

Should organise a betting pool for who will be the first to get re-banned.
The smart money is on Ryo or The Hog. Those two have been banned as often as the rest of the forum put together :D

The odds would be to low on them :D

42x16ss said:
thrawn said:
BigMac said:
Can't bother to take a look but sniper, sceptic and hog should all be back within a week or so.

Ryo and Foxxy too.

The smart money is on Ryo or The Hog. Those two have been banned as often as the rest of the forum put together :D
I would hope neither one of them would be banned anytime soon. They're both coming off long suspensions so the next one, no matter how trivial will seem like an eternity to them.

42x16ss said:
thrawn said:
BigMac said:

Ryo and Foxxy too.

And how many final warnings have they had?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Re:

JackRabbitSlims said:
how many times do you keep banning a member

who holds the record for the most bans

or most amount of time banned for......and allowed back

doing some searching it seems like The Hog has been banned 22 times.

hopefully he will come back soon, the clinic needs him.

irondan said:
the sceptic said:
JackRabbitSlims said:

doing some searching it seems like The Hog has been banned 22 times.

hopefully he will come back soon, the clinic needs him.
The hog is due to return on the 26th of August.

the clinic

& this site is so much more

than the hog

i remember the early days when I was just a reader.....lurker......observer
then became an active member

who can remember the hog from the early days

multiple personality disorder
anyone

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I accepted my ban with grace but have a few points to raise.
Did I get banned for posting " cluck cluck" calling Froome a chicken ?
or did I get banned for just posting an opposing view in the Froome thread " tongue in cheek"

Looking at other posts it seems to me that if you go on a named riders thread i.e. Froome ,Bertie. etc and say anything other than how great they are you get accused of baiting or being a troll.

Should we start some new" named rider" threads where we are allowed to speak freely without being accused of trolling are baiting and are allowed to use the words " cluck cluck" or make a joke/banter comment without the threat of a ban.

Its ridiculous IMO to have a Contador [for example] thread and not expect negative comments it all part of the fun of being on a forum
As long as no one is abusive or threatening I don't see the problem with a bit of funny ,sometimes heated debate ....

I appreciate the job the mods do and the time they give up but its like walking on eggshells for some of us and yet some posters seem to get away with baiting ,trolling under the guidelines that seem to be set.

If a poster gets upset because of " cluck cluck or a different opinion that is not abusive or threatening then really that is their issue. How do these people cope in real life?

regards Ray J

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: grace

ebandit said:
ray j willings said:
How do these people cope in real life?

but it's not real life...........a whole lot easier to be civil here on the forum

........welcome back......wear ya bans with pride.................

Mark L

Agreed. The mods have been doing good work lately when they banned TheSpud and Sky Tears.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: grace

ebandit said:
ray j willings said:

but it's not real life...........a whole lot easier to be civil here on the forum

Mark L

Thanks Mark .

It's just I don't see a clear definition between disagreeing and trolling/baiting.
And I think some posters seem to get away with a bit more than others.
I am pretty sure I will get another ban at some point and if I do that's fine. There are sure some uptight posters and I don't see why their influence should be the criteria mods use to warn or ban someone ,,,,what about common sense and " get over it its a bike race not a war"

the sceptic said:
ebandit said:
ray j willings said:
Mark L
Agreed. The mods have been doing good work lately when they banned TheSpud and Sky Tears.

but what has your reply go to do with my post?

i do commend the mods for keeping peace here but why? introduce your dislike of

certain members

Mark L

Re:

JackRabbitSlims said:

Thing is, both have committed an absolute sh!tload of minor offences but no single offence that is close to worthy of a perma ban. They push the boundaries, especially Ryo, whose style is more combative than The Hog's, who is more tongue in cheek.

Thinking back, Thought for Food/Chewie would probably hold 3rd place, the only competition would be the accumulated bans from the BPC sockpuppets.

TheSpud said:
42x16ss said:
thrawn said:
BigMac said:

Ryo and Foxxy too.

And how many final warnings have they had?
Says the currently banned poster who is racking up his own rap sheet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS