• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Michal Kwiatkowski Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
once he starts training with Uran, i think he will start doing better in the mountains.

but the way it stands, i will give a very wide band of 6-15.

btw, any idea whether Poels or TdG will help him in Tour?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Poels rode strongly in the Giro for Uran, so I doubt we'll see him at the Tour. Probably Vuelta next.

Kwiat should have Bakelants at the Tour. He should be a strong climber for him.

The "problem" is that Kwiatkowski is too versatile. He can win one day races, stage races and time trials. Actually he can do all the things - he is a big talent. In Poland people wonder what kind of speciality he will choose in the future. He has to choose something at some point bacause otherwise he may waste his potential. I would say he's a born one-day racer but with a potential for grand tour podiums.

Krzysztof_O said:
The "problem" is that Kwiatkowski is too versatile. He can win one day races, stage races and time trials. Actually he can do all the things - he is a big talent. In Poland people wonder what kind of speciality he will choose in the future. He has to choose something at some point bacause otherwise he may waste his potential. I would say he's a born one-day racer but with a potential for grand tour podiums.

Thats the thing. You would like to take him to every race in the calendar, cause he always has a chance of winning. It's a curse and a blessing at the same time. This year for example he skipped the cobbles even though he is a decent rider on these roads.

I think the only problem is that he was in too good shape too early and later over raced, and that he is riding in a HTC like team where he has to slave for Cav. Ideally he should've had a slower build up starting in Algarve and then race Strade and Tirreno as preparation for MSR, then just Pais Vasco (without going too deep) before the Ardennes and then a break. This spring he was already racing to win in February and didn't hold back in any races.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
I think the only problem is that he was in too good shape too early and later over raced, and that he is riding in a HTC like team where he has to slave for Cav. Ideally he should've had a slower build up starting in Algarve and then race Strade and Tirreno as preparation for MSR, then just Pais Vasco (without going too deep) before the Ardennes and then a break. This spring he was already racing to win in February and didn't hold back in any races.

TBH I think his schedule wasn't problematic, until he decided to race Romandie. You can't podium LBL without an almost ideal prep.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Krzysztof_O said:

Absolutely.

he and Sagan are two gems in this generation.

i think he may be able to make better choices from next year. FS, i dont want him to do TdF unless he has real chances to be in top-10. he could have raced veulta instead

Pentacycle said:
TBH I think his schedule wasn't problematic, until he decided to race Romandie. You can't podium LBL without an almost ideal prep.

I agree with you. I was perfectly fine with the schedule but he shouls have stopped after LBL and recover properly. Sending him to Romandie was terrible decision. I am not sure just how much you can recover in the time remaining to a TdF, especially since serious racing starts already in the first week and because of leadout duties (is that really necessary with such a strong spring train without him?). Considering all of that, top10 would be a huge success but all it takes is one weak day in high mountains and even that can be out of reach quickly.

Not sure he is suited for Vuelta but maybe it would be better idea for this season. And I believe at this point he has to decide which direction he wants to go. Is it the classics (cobbles, Ardennes) and he is on track to do well there, or is it TdF and 1 week stage races (high altitude training, less front-loaded schedule, so pretty much Ardennes and TdF)

Pentacycle said:
Ofc you can. If you noticed I didn't suggest much of a change in schedule, but simply that he shouldn't have been in so good shape so early (as much because of how it will affect the rest of his season, not just the Ardennes, as I don't think just cutting Romandie would've meant he would be fresh for Dauphiné). It's quite telling that he didn't win anything between Strade and Romandie.

Netserk said:
Ofc you can. If you noticed I didn't suggest much of a change in schedule, but simply that he shouldn't have been in so good shape so early (as much because of how it will affect the rest of his season, not just the Ardennes, as I don't think just cutting Romandie would've meant he would be fresh for Dauphiné). It's quite telling that he didn't win anything between Strade and Romandie.

Well, 2nd in Pais Vasco behind Contador, stage win at Tirreno-Adriatico, top 5 in AGR, FW, LBL (and I think last one he had good momentum coming into right corner but Moreno caused him to slow down so could have won there) is nothing to be ashamed of.

I think next season he should just not go for a GC in Tirreno-Adriatico, but instead make it his second race of a season (after Strade Bianchi), then go to MSR, Vais Pasco and Ardennes. After that a long rest and Dauphine/TDS as a prep race to TdF

So basically cut out Algarve and 4 one-day races before it (although he said a win in a stage race was big confidence booster so I am afraid he will return there).

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:

Yes he lacked a real 'peak' performance like Gerrans and Gilbert had. Like you say, somewhat reducing the training intensity could work for him.

HappyLoser said:
Some news:

1. Kwiat says they haven't found any viruses in his blood, he's just tired because of training.

2. He feels stronger than last year.

3. He'll be working in Cav train again. He won't be given any special domestiques for GC.

4. We need to watch him during Polish Championships in Sobotka. (25-29 VI)

Source:

So OPQS is not pulling him out of the Tour? What a stupid decision.

Netserk said:
At least we can be sure he'll be dead the rest of the season, perhaps with a single bright moment in the WCTTT :eek:

Well, maybe he can trat TdF as a preparation race for Tour de Pologne? :D The parcours there suit him very well so even in 80% form he will be one of the favorites. And after that a loooong rest and probably start preparing for next season (he mentioned trying out mountains in Augist/September in one of the interviews. Maybe he actually meant this year since there is no chance he can be competative after another 30 days of racing

True. Especially if the team is not there to support him and he is riding for Cavendish on flat stages instead of conserving energy.

But to be fair, his schedule is pretty much the same as last year. 66-67 racing days, major races are all the same (just San Luis instead of early season Classics and cobbles instead of Pais Vasco). He also underperfomed in Dauphine last season (although not as bad as this season) so he might still surprise. Just needs to make sure not to lose time on stage 2 and to perform as well as we know he can (relative to other GC riders) on cobbles

TRENDING THREADS