• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
Quintana is what? 27? I've refused to write Contador off till 34.
Well, I think it's simply a bad sign if your top shape is nowhere close to where it once was for two years in a row. And I mean he wouldn't be the first rider who is past his prime so early.
He was very good in both springs. He destroyed Blockhaus, and won the Vuelta by being the best climber. I dont'think Quintana is going anywhere.

DNP-Old said:
Gigs_98 said:
portugal11 said:
Nairo always was a overrated climber, he never showed something similar to pre ban contador. Quintana us no longer capable of winning the tour because I think he didn't improve since 2015 (I think he regressed) but he can win a giro or a vuelta
Then again, he doesn't have to improve, he just has to try to get the 2015 shape again and that might very well be enough to win the tour. However I agree that he is unlikely to win the tour since I doubt he'll ever have that shape again.
2018 is his do or die year. Full focus on the Tour, quite the rest the year prior (won't ride anything for the rest of the season other than the worlds), full leadership, at this point should know how to peak. Either he returns to being this mythical climber, or it's time to say his Tour de France wishes farewell.
What? You would write off a two time GT winner (the last of which was only a year ago), and a guy with four more podiums, at just 28 years of age? Despite the fact the only GT rider consistently better than him in this era is five years older than him?

Seems a bit premature.

Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
Quintana is what? 27? I've refused to write Contador off till 34.
Well, I think it's simply a bad sign if your top shape is nowhere close to where it once was for two years in a row. And I mean he wouldn't be the first rider who is past his prime so early.
He was very good in both springs. He destroyed Blockhaus, and won the Vuelta by being the best climber. I dont'think Quintana is going anywhere.
I hope so, but we'll see. I think DNP-Old summed it up perfectly, 2018 is his do or die year. I was maybe a bit harsh in my original comment but I still think it's not that likely for him to ever win the tour.

DFA123 said:
DNP-Old said:
Gigs_98 said:
portugal11 said:
Nairo always was a overrated climber, he never showed something similar to pre ban contador. Quintana us no longer capable of winning the tour because I think he didn't improve since 2015 (I think he regressed) but he can win a giro or a vuelta
Then again, he doesn't have to improve, he just has to try to get the 2015 shape again and that might very well be enough to win the tour. However I agree that he is unlikely to win the tour since I doubt he'll ever have that shape again.
2018 is his do or die year. Full focus on the Tour, quite the rest the year prior (won't ride anything for the rest of the season other than the worlds), full leadership, at this point should know how to peak. Either he returns to being this mythical climber, or it's time to say his Tour de France wishes farewell.
What? You would write off a two time GT winner (the last of which was only a year ago), and a guy with four more podiums, at just 28 years of age? Despite the fact the only GT rider consistently better than him in this era is five years older than him?

Seems a bit premature.
Write him off? No. Adjust my expectations? Yes. While the youngins keep getting better, Nairo has stood still or even regressed. He hasn't shown his top level in years. While his chances of winning should rise with Froome getting older and looking weaker than ever, they seem to drop as Nairo himself doesn't make much progression, while there is a garden full of talents ready to take his place to attack the crown.

I suggest we take this into the Nairo thread.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Red Rick said:
Vino attacks everyone said:
omg so strong. omg tour 2018 victory is imminent
About that. Do we know any plans for next year?
My guess is that they'll send him to the Tour with Fuglsang and Kangert+Hirt to the Giro with Kangert doing the double just like he did durning the last few years. If they end up signing Uran the Tour squad could be even stronger with Uran as the leader and him as a protected rider.

Re:

portugal11 said:
Your usual glorious posts. Lol.

Don't worry, Quintana will be back. He is a natural!!

Superman Lopez!!!!!!!!!!

Impressed by today's performance. At some point I thought he would fade with Contador. But then I realized he was just hanging around making time. The team told him to step it up and there he was, dropping everyone.

Big effort. Hope he has a good third week.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I never saw Quintana attack from 25km against a Sky train, on a shallow climb.

I did see him do nice stuff in the 3rd week on actual hard climbs. But this? On a tempo col? No. On a tempo col he couldn't even stay ahead of Dumoulin. Lopez stays ahead of the Sky train.. on a shallow % climb. **** me. Quintana can't do that. He never could.
Froome hasn't done that either. What's your point?

He doesn't need to do that to win the Tour. This year Tour was very winnable without having to do that.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I really do hope Lopez will do the Giro + Vuelta double and first attempt TdF in 19. I fear he will get recked in a typical first TdF week in Bretagne next year.
I generally have the opinion young gc riders should first ride giro and vuelta and if they are strong enough to win these races they should move on to the tour. However in Lopez case, Astana doesn't really have a leader for the tour, Lopez looks like he is already strong enough to fight for the win there and personally I just generally want all riders capable of beating froome in the tour because I can't stand another tdf with the sky train making all mountain stages a snoozefest.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
DNP-Old said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I never saw Quintana attack from 25km against a Sky train, on a shallow climb.

I did see him do nice stuff in the 3rd week on actual hard climbs. But this? On a tempo col? No. On a tempo col he couldn't even stay ahead of Dumoulin. Lopez stays ahead of the Sky train.. on a shallow % climb. **** me. Quintana can't do that. He never could.
Does 17 kilometers count? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPcTCe4mpFc

This was against a Sky train that finished 1, 2, 4 and 9 in a damn Dauphine.
Not a shallow climb. So no. Doesn't count. Read and try again.
As I said, shallow % climbs, so climbs were 20 men hang on for most part. Not this stuff.

Let me explain it again: SHALLOW PERCENTAGE climbs. So no steep stuff.
Get it? Ok. Thanks..

El Purche is not a shallow climb.

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
MAL WHAT A TALENT , he was born the exact same day of Quintana just 4 years later , they are of the same zone in Colombia so i guess they are made of the same PASTA or to say material IRON

For now I think Quintana and Lopez have been equally impressive. We still need to remember Lopez looked very mediocre before going into the high mountains also, he really didn't look good. Whether thats because Astana didnt support him going into those explosive climbs, if he just needed a bit more time or he is significantly better at longer climbs, I don't know really. We also need to remember that Quintana went up against a full genius Froome who has failed to replicate those performances apart from 1 or maybe 2 stages since 2013. They have both attacked from afar and both improved as the race progressed and has jumped a lot of places in the GC due to superior recovery and generally being the best or second best climber in the race, there are lots of similarities.

Quintana didn't do anything AS impressive as Lopez did today, altho I'd argue his Ventoux-ride and Annecy Semnoz-ride are pretty damn close. He was incredible at Ventoux, Samnoz was raced full genius, just go look at the results.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Escarabajo said:
portugal11 said:
Your usual glorious posts. Lol.

Don't worry, Quintana will be back. He is a natural!!
You have to respect different opinions... sick of these patriot fans.. this is not quintana appreciation thread

TRENDING THREADS