• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Barb said:
I have a random question for some of the Spanish speakers out there:

My Colombian girlfriend was bemused by Lopez’s post-race interview today. She said he was speaking with a distinctly Spanish accent, totally unlike the rural Boyaca accent he normally has and which he spoke in when interviewed just a few days ago. Did anyone else notice this?

I am conscious that linguists say the faster you pick up an accent in a new country is indicative of how content you feel in that country, but to acquire an accent in a few days seem unusually fast.
It's very common for people from Boyacá and Cundinamarca to quickly acquire a new accent... Check Fabio Parra interviews, or even Quintana's. On the other hand, people from Antioquia more or less keep their accent for longer time. William Alvarez (tennis player and Spanish Armada coach) could be the best example, but also Santiago Botero. Not to mention Urán, Henao among others.

Re: Re:

Ruudz0r said:
Escarabajo said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
One thing I do wonder though, he spent a lot of energy in a lot of attacks now. It's possible he'll fade a bit in the third week right? I mean, you can't go ballistic each mountain stage without fading nowadays.
That is a possibility, I do fear as well.
Maybe he has energy to just follow wheels this third week.

In general he gets stronger (less weak) as a race progresses, but he it's ofcourse the first time he rides for 3 weeks in row. I think he will be fine though.
As expected he is fading a little. Or at least not as strong as in week 2.

Let's wait for Angliru which is a longer climb, but I think this is the position where he will end up.

Great performance nevertheless. I would be very surprised and not feeling good if he kept pounding everyone like he did in week 2 in his first GT.

Great things are coming for Lopez.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site

Mayomaniac said:
telencefalus said:
so today he stays with Nibali could result , he won't podium , so the comparison with Quintana as the same age is pretty non sense because every rider is different but Nairo has clearly the edge
The difference is that this is his first gt, who has done so well in his first gt in recent history?
I agree and really do not understand why people are bothering with these comparisons. It is well known that Lopez is underdone and came in to mainly support Aru. So far he has exceeded expectations but if he starts to fade it will be no surprise. We actually have no way of realistically judging his inherent GC capability based upon this performance because he didn't have the best preparation anyway. Next year we'll get a better idea (if stays on his bike).

The Barb said:
I have a random question for some of the Spanish speakers out there:

My Colombian girlfriend was bemused by Lopez’s post-race interview today. She said he was speaking with a distinctly Spanish accent, totally unlike the rural Boyaca accent he normally has and which he spoke in when interviewed just a few days ago. Did anyone else notice this?

I am conscious that linguists say the faster you pick up an accent in a new country is indicative of how content you feel in that country, but to acquire an accent in a few days seem unusually fast.

I'd have to check these interviews again but I didn't notice that. His rural Boyacá accent isn't very noticeable (neither is Nairo's), always with some Iberian Spanish brushtrokes.

Re:

Oliver said:
Does he ride some italian races to end the season?

news_idnews1181_photo_1506607653.jpg

Doesn't seem like Lopez is still in Europe?

Re:

DNP-Old said:
No, he'll be riding in Turkey.

Sure? Cyclingfever gives this team

BIZHIGITOV Zhandos Kazahkstan
CHERNETSKY Sergey Russia
GRUZDEV Dmitriy Kazahkstan
HANSEN Jesper Denmark
MINALI Riccardo Italy
STALNOV Nikita Kazahkstan
TLEUBAYEV Ruslan Kazahkstan
ZEITS Andrey Kazahkstan

liamito said:
DNP-Old said:
No, he'll be riding in Turkey.

Sure? Cyclingfever gives this team

BIZHIGITOV Zhandos Kazahkstan
CHERNETSKY Sergey Russia
GRUZDEV Dmitriy Kazahkstan
HANSEN Jesper Denmark
MINALI Riccardo Italy
STALNOV Nikita Kazahkstan
TLEUBAYEV Ruslan Kazahkstan
ZEITS Andrey Kazahkstan
That's a pre-startlist though, those aren't always accurate. Early September it was all but confirmed, on record, that he'd be starting in Turkey. So unless something has changed..

TRENDING THREADS