• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mixed Martial Arts

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
428344_10150550817106643_12714756642_9252143_399884441_n.jpg

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
fedors page in facebook..a friend pass it on to me...caption is Is this a fight you wanted to see?

Nice photoshop. I don't know who I would pick here. Lesnar has a glass jaw but would outweight him by 60 lbs on fight night.

I always thought Fedor was over-rated. The heavyweights in pride did not impress....so he beat Nog and Crocop. Look what they did when they came to the UFC.

Also, though drug testing is a farce at least they have some of it here. In Japan there is nothing. Take Shogun, for example. Look at some of his old pride videos on youtube. What he did to Rampage should have gotten him arrested. The guy had a nonstop motor.

Then, look at him now. Yeah, yeah, I know about the knees but this is night and day. Wandy is not the same. Silva has thrived since he left Pride, which makes me believe he was probably clean there. Hendo the same.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Not a fight I’d get excited about, Fedor is past it and I never thought Brock was anything special, the upcoming JdS vs Overeem should be much better.

ChrisE said:
...Also, though drug testing is a farce at least they have some of it here. In Japan there is nothing. Take Shogun, for example. Look at some of his old pride videos on youtube. What he did to Rampage should have gotten him arrested. The guy had a nonstop motor.

Then, look at him now. Yeah, yeah, I know about the knees but this is night and day. Wandy is not the same. Silva has thrived since he left Pride, which makes me believe he was probably clean there. Hendo the same.

Not sure what you mean here, Rua’s done fine in the ufc (except his loss to Forrest on his debut) whereas Wand as much I enjoy his fights has been poor and I’m not sure I’d use Henderson as an example of a clean fighter.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Machu Picchu said:
Not sure what you mean here, Rua’s done fine in the ufc (except his loss to Forrest on his debut) whereas Wand as much I enjoy his fights has been poor and I’m not sure I’d use Henderson as an example of a clean fighter.

Rua has not been the same. As I say, look at the old pride fights. Now he looks like he is in slow motion. I will drop this right here for your pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HURawqwJJx4

Shogun beat an overhyped Machida, an over the hill Liddell and Coleman, but finally got brutalized by JJ. The Hendo fight was good, but Hendo is 40 and Rua I think is still 29 and he lost. That should not have been close because Shogun should theoretically still be in his prime.

Good catch on Hendo. I forgot about his "testosterone replacement therapy". lol.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
ChrisE said:
Rua has not been the same. As I say, look at the old pride fights. Now he looks like he is in slow motion. I will drop this right here for your pleasure...

Very few fighters have been the same since moving from Pride to Ufc, despite the similarties there are differences between them and people fought more freely in pride. Like I said, I like he's done alright compared to others.

The Hitch said:
...Did about 10 different sports before mma then moves in and becomes one of the top guys immediately.

Not sure what his ten sports are but I give him credit for attempting to play football and think he did well in mma but I just don't think he was going to remain at the top table for too long.

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Let me tell you a little secret......

95 % of all the UFC fighters use/juice/use TRT. Mir grew almost the same in less time but because nobody made a JPEG to show you, you don't know.

So stating someone uses after he got caught is easy...

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I have trained in past with brother valentijn overeem. he always seemed big talent but bit unstable. valentijn was always incredibel talent but horrible stamina because he cut weight for light heavyweight. he is now a monster and above all mentally relaxed. that's what makes him a champion. no stress and he enjoys everything. he'll be back for sure. just like josh barnett

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
ChrisE said:
Well, well. What a shock. :rolleyes:

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/7...reem-fails-doping-test-nevada-commission-says

Anybody that has even remotely followed this guy's transformation from skinny light heavyweight to now knows WTF was going on.

he was never a skinny lightheavyweight and besides he was 18/19 back then. is normal that you grow. look at stevan strufe. he fought against a teammate of me 6 years ago when he was 2.12 and barely 100 kg. now he is what 120? semmy schilt had the same too.

and btw. what an idiot is dana white. he only talks so much bs. he's a mark for his own fighters. he's a fanboy and a hater of everything he can't get. see fedor. I hope to god some japanese promotion can turn mma upside down again like in the late 90s with pride

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
he was never a skinny lightheavyweight and besides he was 18/19 back then. is normal that you grow. look at stevan strufe. he fought against a teammate of me 6 years ago when he was 2.12 and barely 100 kg. now he is what 120? semmy schilt had the same too.

and btw. what an idiot is dana white. he only talks so much bs. he's a mark for his own fighters. he's a fanboy and a hater of everything he can't get. see fedor. I hope to god some japanese promotion can turn mma upside down again like in the late 90s with pride

The japanese pride stuff was good. Well I even like a good Sumo Basho from back in the day. But these days there is way too many gajin in Sumo. It is disapointing. :eek:

Barry Bonds would be envious.

The one line that caught me off guard though is this:

"The Dutch kickboxing champion can take a second urine test, but will need commission approval for a license to fight Dos Santos as scheduled May 26."

A second test?? You mean he can wait a week or two until the ratio in his body settles closer to normal, then take another test, and if the results show under the 6:1 ratio he's allowed to fight? Is he also then considered negative??? :confused:

Ryo Hazuki said:
he was never a skinny LHW and besides he was 18/19 back then.

Actually, he was 26 in that photo in the middle and looks almost 40lbs heavier just two years later, all of it muscle. Even in the photo at the most left, he was 23.

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
I have trained in past with brother valentijn overeem. he always seemed big talent but bit unstable. valentijn was always incredibel talent but horrible stamina because he cut weight for light heavyweight. he is now a monster and above all mentally relaxed. that's what makes him a champion. no stress and he enjoys everything. he'll be back for sure. just like josh barnett

The second use of Valentijn should be Alistair I think....

Besides that, Valentijn isn't very good, come on, you never tap to strikes....

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Barry Bonds would be envious.

The one line that caught me off guard though is this:

"The Dutch kickboxing champion can take a second urine test, but will need commission approval for a license to fight Dos Santos as scheduled May 26."

A second test?? You mean he can wait a week or two until the ratio in his body settles closer to normal, then take another test, and if the results show under the 6:1 ratio he's allowed to fight? Is he also then considered negative??? :confused:

Actually, he was 26 in that photo in the middle and looks almost 40lbs heavier just two years later, all of it muscle. Even in the photo at the most left, he was 23.

Well you are missing one and also the biggest point here.... currently he is not licensed by the NSAC, so he has done absolutely nothing wrong.

Before they will grant him a license though, he needs to be tested again.

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
BTW, why not change the topic name to mma Talk?

MMA is more then only UFC, and to be completly honest, the UFC is one of the worst things ever to happen to the sport of mma.

I'll change the title of the topic, if everyone agrees. Mostly would like Chris to chime in as it's sort of his thread.

dirkvijf said:
Well you are missing one and also the biggest point here.... currently he is not licensed by the NSAC, so he has done absolutely nothing wrong.

Before they will grant him a license though, he needs to be tested again.

So, he tests positive for testosterone, and has done nothing wrong because he doesn't have a license? That's brilliant.

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I'll change the title of the topic, if everyone agrees. Mostly would like Chris to chime in as it's sort of his thread.

So, he tests positive for testosterone, and has done nothing wrong because he doesn't have a license? That's brilliant.

Yes, it's very crooked, and also the reason why mma is still in its baby shoes.
Zuffa is also paying the lawyer of Overeem who aso represented Michael Jackson and Paris Hilton in other cases, so obviously they don't really care about his tests.

As long as Dana White and Mob brothers Fertitta keep treating the UFC as a popularity contest, the sport will never surpass being "entertainment".

I really miss the Pride days....