• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Moderators

Page 350 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
cineteq said:
In other words, you're saying you don't want to moderate? Isn't it your job or what you signed on for? So instead of finding a solution, you're suggesting: "let's leave it as that with noise that way because we don't have to work that much". Very dissapointed.

I don't think it would be so much moderating as cataloging. There'd be lots of reports 'move posts no. x,y,q,e and r to the fanboi threads, please.' I could see it being a fair chunk of work to keep up with "organizing" all those posts.

Mods are volunteers, after all. I don't think it is unreasonable for them to draw the line and say something will be too much work.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
cineteq said:
I came here to file a solid complain. I've been respectful, and I expect Afrank don't take my argument personally, I actually like him. Respect my opinion as I respect yours. If you guys want to pile up on me be my guest.

The post i quoted was not an argument..
It was an unfair accusation.
Far from being respectful..

You should be able to see that..

As for piling up..
Even if one is being the "victim" of that... It doesn't allow them to get unreasonably personal towards a hard-working mod...
edit: (or anyone else for that matter)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't have to be an entire subforum. It could just be a seperate thread - random collection of cute Alberto pictures and videos and factoids. Something like that. There's some sarcasm in there but I think it could be a valid idea. You don't have to give it a baiting name like I did, call it something neutral like "Contador pictures and videos". That way it would make other threads more readable.

Or start a blog - this is another idea that might seem sarcastic but it's actually an honest suggestion. Tumblr seems the most convenient option to me, but there might be better hosting sites out there. Put the link in your sig.

"Taking it to veloshrooms" might not be an option, if the same content is being posted on both sides already (not sure if that is the case, but could be)

mrhender said:
The post i quoted was not an argument..
It was an unfair accusation.
Far from being respectful..

You should be able to see that..
Sorry that's my take. If he's busy or doing this for free, or whatever. He should've been honest and stated it. Thing is the 1st mod said he'll look in to that, and him, sort of said not from the getgo. Never said: "Let's see if we can find a solution". Different attitudes, different results.

I'm not sure what your agenda or who are you to dismiss what I'm saying, but that's not unfair in my book and I expect you respect my take, and you should be able to see that.

Bluenote said:
Mods are volunteers, after all. I don't think it is unreasonable for them to draw the line and say something will be too much work.
That's fine, but be honest from the start, and try to be helpful, instead of closing the door. that's all I asked.

Christian said:
It doesn't have to be an entire subforum. It could just be a seperate thread - random collection of cute Alberto pictures and videos and factoids. Something like that. There's some sarcasm in there but I think it could be a valid idea. You don't have to give it a baiting name like I did, call it something neutral like "Contador pictures and videos". That way it would make other threads more readable.
I guess I'm not the only one. The key here, as Christian said, is "make other threads more readable".

cineteq said:
I came here to file a solid complain. I've been respectful, and I expect Afrank don't take my argument personally, I actually like him. Respect my opinion as I respect yours. If you guys want to pile up on me be my guest.

[X] Implying a volunteer is lazy
[X] Respectful

:rolleyes:

Anyway, thread in question has been like this ever since it started 2,5 years ago. Most of the content and links posted are super easily avoidable AND it's the off season. It's not like there's anything happening to discuss anyway

Understanding a subforum for gossip and other fanboyisms is unlikely, I can suggest posters' using common sense in that they should avoid, for instance, posting whole pictures in discussion threads and instead link to it. Sometimes it's the overload of graphic content that turns a thread unreadable, because there's not much to read. And most times it's completely random material. Or if you, say, are going to share a tweet, write something on it so it's not just an isolated quotation people are not sure what to do with. Have control over yourselves. Another way to avoid cloating a thread is to gather content and post it all together - it may not seem like it, but it's much more friendly to the user to read or see it all in one post instead of spread over a page, even if all followed by each other or if exactly the same content. It is my experience. This implies you to be slightly less impulsive. Give it a second thought: perhaps it's not worth having an argument or discussion with multiple posts of just a single line or sentence that may add nothing. If it's a discussion at all. I will say that the reason why I find it impossible to go through the Contador Discussion Thread is because there's little to no discussion going on - instead the same people repeating the same things, agreeing with each other and posting such, or in constant need to write some sort of praise for whatever possible reason. It's the place where discussion got bested by speculation and disagreement is expressed in the most basic forms of insulting and denigration of other parties. It's a mess that can only be inverted with prudence by the contributors.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
cineteq said:
Sorry that's my take. If he's busy or doing this for free, or whatever. He should've been honest and stated it. Thing is the 1st mod said he'll look in to that, and him, sort of said not from the getgo. Never said: "Let's see if we can find a solution". Different attitudes, different results.

I'm not sure what your agenda or who are you to dismiss what I'm saying, but that's not unfair in my book and I expect you respect my take, and you should be able to see that.

I respect you as a poster here..
But that doesn't mean i can't strongly disagree with your posts..
I adressed the post, not you...

That is the keystone for me..

Afrank disagreed with you.
You called him lazy..
I called the post out as nonsense.. Simple!

The only agenda I have is to post my opinion.
nothing more, nothing less...

The bolded part of your post is just more nonsense..
So every time a mod don't wan't more unnecessary work, they should resort to the argument that they are busy or working for free?
That is is the same as calling them lazy..

Sorry but it doesn't add up, either way you spin it.....

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
BigMac said:
Understanding a subforum for gossip and other fanboyisms is unlikely, I can suggest posters' using common sense in that they should avoid, for instance, posting whole pictures in discussion threads and instead link to it. Sometimes it's the overload of graphic content that turns a thread unreadable, because there's not much to read. And most times it's completely random material. Or if you, say, are going to share a tweet, write something on it so it's not just an isolated quotation people are not sure what to do with. Have control over yourselves. Another way to avoid cloating a thread is to gather content and post it all together - it may not seem like it, but it's much more friendly to the user to read or see it all in one post instead of spread over a page, even if all followed by each other or if exactly the same content. It is my experience. This implies you to be slightly less impulsive. Give it a second thought: perhaps it's not worth having an argument or discussion with multiple posts of just a single line or sentence that may add nothing. If it's a discussion at all. I will say that the reason why I find it impossible to go through the Contador Discussion Thread is because there's little to no discussion going on - instead the same people repeating the same things, agreeing with each other and posting such, or in constant need to write some sort of praise for whatever possible reason. It's the place where discussion got bested by speculation and disagreement is expressed in the most basic forms of insulting and denigration of other parties. It's a mess that can only be inverted with prudence by the contributors.

A picture can mean a thousand words..

A wall of text can't...

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
cineteq said:

If you put LaFlo on ignore, 99% of all pictures and videos of Contador will disappear. Problem solved.

(not that I think anyone should do that)

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
BigMac said:
가십과 다른 fanboyisms에 대한 subforum을 이해하는 것은, 내가 예를 들어, 그들은 피해야한다는 점에서 상식을 사용하여 '포스터를 제안 토론 스레드에 전체 사진을 게시하고 대신에 링크 할 수 있습니다 않을 수 있습니다. 보다 읽기가 아니기 때문에 때로는 읽을 스레드를 전환 그래픽 컨텐츠의 과부하가 있습니다. 그리고 대부분의 시간은 완전히 임의의 물질이다. 당신은, 말하자면, 트윗을 공유하려는 경우 그렇지 그래서 또는 단지 고립 인용 사람들이 함께 할 무엇 확실하지 않은 그 위에 뭔가를 쓰기. 스스로 제어 할 수 있습니다. 스레드를 cloating 방지하는 또 다른 방법은 콘텐츠를 수집하고 모두 함께 게시 할 수 - 그것은 그것처럼 보이지 않을 수도 있지만 경우에도 읽거나 페이지를 통해 대신에 확산 한 게시물에 모든 것을 볼 수있는 사용자에게 훨씬 더 친절 모두 정확하게 동일한 내용이 서로에 의해 또는 경우 하였다. 내 경험이다. 이것은 당신이 약간 덜 충동 적으로 의미한다. 그것을 두 번째 생각을 : 아마도 그것은 아무것도 추가하지 않을 수 단 한 줄의 문장의 여러 게시물과 함께 인수 나 토론 가치가 없어. 경우는 전혀 논의이다. 나는이 불가능 콘타 도르 토론 게시글을 통과 찾을 이유가가는 얘기는 거의 거기에 있기 때문에 말 것 - 대신 같은 사람들이 같은 일을 반복 서로 동의 및 게시, 또는 상수 필요 어떤 가능한 이유에 대한 칭찬 어떤 종류의 물품. 이 토론은 추측에 의해 빠져 있있어와 의견 차이가 모욕과 상대의 모욕의 가장 기본적인 형태로 표현되는 장소입니다. 그것은 단지 참여자에 의해 신중로 반전 될 수 엉망입니다.
:eek:

mrhender said:
I respect you as a poster here..
But that doesn't mean i can't strongly disagree with your posts..
I adressed the post, not you...

That is the keystone for me..

Afrank disagreed with you.
You called him lazy..
I called the post out as nonsense.. Simple!

The only agenda I have is to post my opinion.
nothing more, nothing less...

The bolded part of your post is just more nonsense..
So every time a mod don't wan't more unnecessary work, they should resort to the argument that they are busy or working for free?
That is is the same as calling them lazy..

Sorry but it doesn't add up, either way you spin it.....
Sorry for the inconvenience. I've been bullied out by this poster. Do whatever you want. Peace.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
cineteq said:
Sorry for the inconvenience. I've been bullied out by this poster. Do whatever you want. Peace.

cineteq: would really hate to not read your posts. i may not agree with you about what content goes in the contador thread and some other of your opinions but you offer interesting opinions, arguments, and are an informed cycling fan.

...don't go - it would be a shame if you were to disappear, really :(

my 2 cents.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
In other words, you're saying you don't want to moderate? Isn't it your job or what you signed on for? So instead of finding a solution, you're suggesting: "let's leave it as that with noise that way because we don't have to work that much". Very dissapointed.

I don't necessarily see it as a big enough problem to need a "solution" at this time. But that's just my opinion.

It's not really about the amount of extra work it would be as well. Although I can't deny that's not part of it. For me, it's more about necessity, if it really would work without degenerating into arguments, and how practical such a subforum would really be.

cineteq said:

I didn't really think it need to be stated that the mods (all of us) do the modding for free, but we do. All of us probably have other jobs or school outside of the Forum.

To clarify, I'm not saying "no, such a request is never going to happen." I'm merely stating my opinion about it here. I did the same thing in the mod section. And I welcome any debate or counterpoints to the points I brought up. I did find merit in Mellow Velo's post above mine about it being a non-aggressive section.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Afrank said:
I don't necessarily see it as a big enough problem to need a "solution" at this time. But that's just my opinion.

It's not really about the amount of extra work it would be as well. Although I can't deny that's not part of it. For me, it's more about necessity, if it really would work without degenerating into arguments, and how practical such a subforum would really be.

I didn't really think it need to be stated that the mods (all of us) do the modding for free, but we do. All of us probably have other jobs or school outside of the Forum.

To clarify, I'm not saying "no, such a request is never going to happen." I'm merely stating my opinion about it here. I did the same thing in the mod section. And I welcome any debate or counterpoints to the points I brought up. I did find merit in Mellow Velo's post above mine about it being a non-aggressive section.

This is a cycling forum, not a team/rider fan forum. Ignore or skip the posts that are "toxic", if you want to read that topic. Like Afrank said, no one is forced to read them.

I like the pics vids etc, be it any rider, esp. now in the off season.

My 5cents

pigoonse said:
cineteq: would really hate to not read your posts. i may not agree with you about what content goes in the contador thread and some other of your opinions but you offer interesting opinions, arguments, and are an informed cycling fan.

...don't go - it would be a shame if you were to disappear, really :(

my 2 cents.
Not going anywhere my friend. Just disspointed on the member's bullying approach to this (see what they did to BigMac's post) and the passiveness of the Mods.

Afrank said:
Nevermind, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS