• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most absurd TDF winners

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Most absurd TDF winners in order..

#1 Lance Armstrong.. couldn't climb a ladder, no experience even contending then wins by 7 min bwahhhhhhaaaaa

#2 Bjarne Riis... Mr 60% indeed... go real fast

#3 Marco Pantani.. is dead

#4 Floyd Landis...bad hip..defrocked

#5 Jan Ulrich....Jim McMahon's lost german brother? Wonder how fat he is now. He should've added Midol to his program.

#6 Miguel Indurain...Too Big Mig.. Could kill all the moutain goats and all arounders at will...Often did not, on purpose

Hillavoider said:
contador, but i am still amazed at how he even rode his bike with bruyneel that far up his a$$

Contador had some leverage -- insider info like FL. If Contador goes down for dope then he spills the beans on LA and The Hog. So what did they do? Ditch Contador at the hotel. Give Contador loaded wheels. Ostracize Contador. Everything except screw up Contador's doping regimen.

El Imbatido said:
I agree with most of those that have been given above. But this topic would be better if we expand it to ' Most absurd GT winners'

Once again Big Mig, the double, double GT winner makes the list. Pantini's double is up there too. OTOH, it was a different time. The Giro sucked big time back then and not everybody focused 100% on the Tour.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
La Vie Claire said:
Contador had some leverage -- insider info like FL. If Contador goes down for dope then he spills the beans on LA and The Hog. So what did they do? Ditch Contador at the hotel. Give Contador loaded wheels. Ostracize Contador. Everything except screw up Contador's doping regimen.
Pepe the trainer, aka Dr Jose Marti had the red cells

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
I'll second Oscar P. A solid GT rider (generally around tenth every Tour) is handed a gift from the so called "contenders" and then gets a backdated elevation from second.

Pedro Delgado. You would think that the Clinic Crew would hate this guy as he was positive for a steroid masker that wasn't on the UCI list at the time. On top of being juiced (with positive test to prove it) he beat more or less no one to win.

Steven Roche: No Hinault, No Lemond, No Fignon. Somebody had to win.

I guess Miguel was an early adopter of EPO when he won in 1991. He must have been ahead of everyone else.

Is there anybody who won the Tour that wasn't doper? Hinault more or less confessed after retirement, did he not? Greg beat him, so Greg must be a doper. Merckx had a positive or two here and there (one of them rather dubious, but that's life) so he cheated.

Winner=Cheater doesn't it? So many on this forum are more versed in the facts about drug use than most. Will someone post some facts that point to Indurain's drug use (other than "he had a doctor that had a reputation")?

I read that Miguel had a positive in 1992. I asked for further information, but none was forthcoming. I don't recall hearing about that. Let's hear some facts.

Lion of Flanders said:
I'll second Oscar P. A solid GT rider (generally around tenth every Tour) is handed a gift from the so called "contenders" and then gets a backdated elevation from second.

Pedro Delgado. You would think that the Clinic Crew would hate this guy as he was positive for a steroid masker that wasn't on the UCI list at the time. On top of being juiced (with positive test to prove it) he beat more or less no one to win.

I guess Miguel was an early adopter of EPO when he won in 1991. He must have been ahead of everyone else.

Is there anybody who won the Tour that wasn't doper? Hinault more or less confessed after retirement, did he not? Greg beat him, so Greg must be a doper. Merckx had a positive or two here and there (one of them rather dubious, but that's life) so he cheated.

Winner=Cheater doesn't it? So many on this forum are more versed in the facts about drug use than most. Will someone post some facts that point to Indurain's drug use (other than "he had a doctor that had a reputation")?

I read that Miguel had a positive in 1992. I asked for further information, but none was forthcoming. I don't recall hearing about that. Let's hear some facts.

Really????

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:
Really????

Was Fignon in the race in '87? He was battling injury mostly between 1984 and 1989 as I recall. Anyway, somebody had to win that Tour.

I forgot to add Carlos Sastre. While he was definitely the most deserving winner of all the 2008 contenders, being pretty much the only one of them to make a real attack over three flippin' weeks, the entire race was a pathetic farce of a Tour.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Lion of Flanders said:

1987 Indurain was there

""Stage 24, Saturday, July 25: Dijon - Dijon Individual Time Trial, 38 kilometers.

1. Jean-Francois Bernard (Toshiba) 48min 17sec
2. Stephen Roche (Carrera) @ 1min 44sec
3. Marino Lajaretta (Caja Rural) @ 2mmin 28sec
4. Jesper Skibby (Roland) @ 2min 30sec
5. Raul Alcala (7-Eleven) @ 2min 23sec
6. Pedro Delgado (PDM) @ 2min 45sec
7. Miguel Indurain (Reynolds) @ 2min 35sec
8. Charly Mottet (Systeme U) @ 2min 51sec
9. Peter Stevenhaagen (PDM) @ 2min 55sec
10. Erik Breukink (Panasonic) @ 2min 58sec ""

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Lion of Flanders said:
Was Fignon in the race in '87? He was battling injury mostly between 1984 and 1989 as I recall. Anyway, somebody had to win that Tour.

I forgot to add Carlos Sastre. While he was definitely the most deserving winner of all the 2008 contenders, being pretty much the only one of them to make a real attack over three flippin' weeks, the entire race was a pathetic farce of a Tour.

The 2009 Tour that was a farce. Most boring Tour I've ever seen to be honest ...

The 2008 Tour wasn't that bad. Good finish to the first stage, Super-Besse was great, the joke of the Saunier Duval two plus Fränk Schleck on Hautacam...

Anyway, for absurd GT winners I nominate Damiano Cunego. A combination of a hugely disappointing Giro route, an awful entry list, and some rather suspicious riding. That whole Giro was one of the most absurd GTs ever. Cunego won four stages, Popovych held the maglia rosa in the last week, Fabian Wegmann won the King of the Mountains, Dario Cioni came top 5 and Bradley McGee top 10... Cunego's win into Falzes is rather comical to look at now.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
MrContador said:
Indeed he was. He even won the thrilling stage to La Plagne.

87 was a good tdf.. 7-11 won 3 stages(sprint mountain final).. The TV coverage of the Pau-Luz Ardiden stage (won by lauritzen) was one of the best tdf segments ever.(abandon all hope ye who have come to the Pyrenees).Roche's team hardening the flats to burn up delgado and the other climbers..First iron curtain stage winner. JFB suffering(and winning) on Mt Ventoux..Riders collapsing and needing oxygen(unlike these days)Roche leading his not so faithful team like a true captain.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Lion of Flanders said:

He was found to have taken the asthma drug salbutamol at one point. It was at a time when most sportspeople were apparently asthmatic.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
redtreviso said:
87 was a good tdf.. 7-11 won 3 stages(sprint mountain final).. The TV coverage of the Pau-Luz Ardiden stage (won by lauritzen) was one of the best tdf segments ever.(abandon all hope ye who have come to the Pyrenees).Roche's team hardening the flats to burn up delgado and the other climbers..First iron curtain stage winner. JFB suffering(and winning) on Mt Ventoux..Riders collapsing and needing oxygen(unlike these days)Roche leading his not so faithful team like a true captain.

It was a classic battle of nerves and wills. I read that Roche knew that Delgado was nervous about a particular descent, so he put the hammer down on it, dropped Pedro and put time into him. Roche had been given a lesson in descending by Michel Laurent, one of his Peugeot team-mates, in the 1981 Paris-Nice, and became a very good descender.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
TomasC said:
It should be also said that it (salbutamol) was not banned at the time.

There's some current generation cyclist who manages to insert pronouncements of his/her asthma condition into every interview..Can't remember who.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
happychappy said:
#1 Carlos Sastre

I disagree; a rider who is able to finish in the top 5 multiple times in one year and who is able to peak in the third week must eventually compete for the top spot. Winning a GT was a matter of time for Sastre, and he can win another. The fact that it was the Tour had several causes, but it was not by accident nor was it ridiculous.