• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Motor doping thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Her dad in the same interview is trying to convince they did not know about this bike: "she did not have good legs and she had a bad start. If we would have known we had this bike we would have given it to her."

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

sniper said:
Brian Butterfield said:
that's VERY reminiscent of Cancellara 2010 just drifting away from Boonen on the Muur without any sort of visible accelleration of the legs.

Didn't Cance also stay seated.....there may be a need to keep the weight back over the saddle and rear wheel so the wheel doesn't visibly skip on the pavement or mud. Not an engineer myself but I have experienced situations when climbing on the steeps where the wheel can skid if traction is poor when out of the seat. It would be pretty damning for the rider if viewed from the side with the motor on and the wheel unweighted if the rear wheel revved up.

Metabolol said:
Tienus said:
She is not the brightest cookie. In an interview on camera this morning she litteraly says: "I was startled to see that bike standing there. Then she says: "its not my bike".
By the way, the UCI confirms that the bike had her name written on it.

Lol, that is the new doping excuse - 'it's not my bike'. But like I said, I hope they fingerprint it too.
They should fingerprint the motor and its battery, and cross check with dad, mechanic etc.

Amazing how the cycics are always right. Sad really.

May 22, 2011
Visit site

I think a key point is this: it seems highly unlikely that a doping innovation would start in the lower ranks. It suggests that mechanical doping has probably been going on for a while (edit: see Metabolol's post above), but for the UCI it is always better to pop a minor rider who no one will remember than to pop money makers like Cancellara, Dertie or, god forbid, Froome.[/quote]

You are describing SOP in major league sports in the US: When confronted with doping or other cheating the leagues ALWAYS go after the small fry first. That lets the marquee players (Peyton Manning, Tiger Woods, Roger Clemens, etc.) some time to quietly back off on the doping if they are smart enough to get the coded signal being sent. As other posters have described I have no doubt that there is a lot of midnight oil being burned behind locked doors tonight as the marquee races are getting ready to be run on Sunday....

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Mechanical doping: first rider caught

Quality stuff here, laughing all the time, dumb excuse "not my bike" - maybe it was a bike of her vanishing twin.

Anyway, for those questioning cooksonic transparency, how about TRANSPARENT FRAMES?

May 22, 2011
Visit site

" - maybe it was a bike of her vanishing twin.

Good one...I had forgotten all about the "vanishing twin" excuse. I think every doper and cheater should postulate the existence of the evil (but usually invisible) twin. Always makes a great plot device in soap operas. More recently Jeffrey Tambor played twins to great effect in "Arrested Development".

Watching the interview with her, she doesn't come across as an intelligent girl at all. A reason more to suspect that she is surrounded by *** people, cuz there is no way she organized this on her own. In fact, I honestly believe her influence in all this is rather small.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Chipist said:
It should be easy enough to design a gadget that picks up the electromagnetic noise from the motor. The noise will be in a specific frequency range. This sort of project is what the Raspberry Pi was invented for....
According to an artcle in Todays La Gazzetta the UCI is now using a new gadget that is able to pick up electomagnetic waves and heat and sends the results right to your tablet.
Apparently a few bike manufatures are also cooperating with the UCI.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
sniper said:
LaFlorecita said:
oldcrank said:
It's becoming harder to ignore Cipo's comments during the 2015 Giro,
and/or this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cDbNJMwxWY :eek:
Oh my ghosh a rider changing his bike and was that Uncle Bjarne pushing him off? :eek: clearly suspicious :eek:

you heard the commentary? they can't figure out why alberto changed bike every day before an MTF finale.
Commentary at the end of that clip is hilarious btw.

And that l'Equipe article on motorization also focused on Contador's bike changes, remember? L'Equipe are usually good at seeing the smoke.

interestingly, Bjarne was there when Cance introduced motorized bikes in the peloton in '10.

So in short, yes, it seems warranted to be suspicious of contador + motorization.
Different tires different gears different bike weight perhaps even an entirely different set up which is better for climbing out of the saddle. There can be a billion different reasons but the anti-doping trolls prefer to believe the most far-fetched. It is just stupid and tiresome. His bike has been checked many times and never has something been found.

Even when he changed wheels with Basso on Mortirolo and could have lost the Giro it was seen as suspicious. "Oh Basso didn't immediately within 3 seconds switch to a new wheel so obviously nothing was wrong with the wheel so obviously it was a doped wheel so obviously Contador is a bike doping fraud". It's farcical.

I'm not a Contador fanboy by any stretch of the imagination but never in a million years would I believe he'd use a motor in his bike. I think he'll do whatever it takes in training to get his body to perform at its best, but nothing artificial like a motor. Losing is an option for him, as long as he's given it a good shot.
I believe Froome and Cancellara's personalities are different, for them there is nothing except winning - their ego is their entire personality.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Just for a reminder heres the Fab motor controversy again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nd13ARuvVE

Engines make the sport a joke. when the rumours about Fab started the UCI did a lot of checking of bikes.
I think if a climber was going to use a doped bike they would have to be very good actors to pull it off.
The other riders would be very suspicious. Using it in a long stage race though would be much easier to pull off

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

ray j willings said:
Just for a reminder heres the Fab motor controversy again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nd13ARuvVE

Engines make the sport a joke. when the rumours about Fab started the UCI did a lot of checking of bikes.
I think if a climber was going to use a doped bike they would have to be very good actors to pull it off.
The other riders would be very suspicious. Using it in a long stage race though would be much easier to pull off
why? you really think UCI would expose Dertie, Froome or Cance with a motor?
images

Last time UCI checked for motors, they checked a random sample of riders instead of target testing, say, the top 20 or the ones that had finished quickest uphill. Facepalm.
Also, they announced the testing the day before the race. Double facepalm.
Everything here suggests the UCI don't want to catch the big boys. Would you expect differently?

This belgian lady had been pushing the envelope so hard and so obviously, it must have been raining complaints from competitors (see Tienus' post up above). My guess is UCI couldn't ignore this one.

I hope the girl will be ok and receive psychological help after this. She's young and i think she doesn't deserve a life ban if she says it all. All the people around her deserve though.

About fabian...what he did un 2010 was beyond crazy. But he did the same next year with all the checks. And he might do it in 2016 again. Same with alberto. Their engine is not in the bike.

At lower levels, i was sure it was used. It won't surprise me if a total desperate guy would use in world tour too. So checks need to be made, no doubt.
While pharmas are part of the game, engines are definitely not.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

jens_attacks said:
I hope the girl will be ok and receive psychological help after this. She's young and i think she doesn't deserve a life ban if she says it all. All the people around her deserve though.

About fabian...what he did un 2010 was beyond crazy. But he did the same next year with all the checks. And he might do it in 2016 again.
A bit like Armstrong in 2000. Nothing to see there, because he did the same in subsequent years in spite of 500 plus tests. :rolleyes:
That argument doesn't wash, Jens. We know nothing, zilk, nada about the quality/quantitiy and integrity of the tests that were carried out.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Checks don't mean anything if you are protected (by buying people off and/or too important to for the sport). This has been proven time after time.

Dec 22, 2015
www.youtube.com
Re:

Flamin said:
Watching the interview with her, she doesn't come across as an intelligent girl at all. A reason more to suspect that she is surrounded by **** people, cuz there is no way she organized this on her own. In fact, I honestly believe her influence in all this is rather small.

Basically this.
Only thing that makes me think the other side, is her putting the ring on and off her finger, which can be a lying tick.

Re:

staubsauger said:
As much as I've sadly enough accepted medical doping as part of the game to increase your OWN power ...

I ain't gonna accept any cheating with motors anytime. This is bike racing. Not motorbike racing.

I certainly hope the UCI's got the same view on it and fights just this one very hard!

I would rate Vaughters & co hypocrite enough to truly believe that mechanical doping at least ain't got no bad influence on the riders health and ain't that sleazy because of that. He's such a goof and ain't got no clue about true cycling passion after all!
Indeed. I too have accepted medical doping and cycling as inextricably linked. I'll even admit following that aspect of the sport was a guilty pleasure. But mototized doping is a different animal and would completely ruin the beauty of cycling for me

Rovinin said:
Flamin said:
Watching the interview with her, she doesn't come across as an intelligent girl at all. A reason more to suspect that she is surrounded by **** people, cuz there is no way she organized this on her own. In fact, I honestly believe her influence in all this is rather small.

Basically this.
Only thing that makes me think the other side, is her putting the ring on and off her finger, which can be a lying tick.

Well, of course she was lying. Her story was total nonsense. But that doesn't mean that her entourage wasn't the driving force behind this.

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
There's an amazing amount of sympathy being given to this rider. I wonder if the attitudes would be the same if an 19 year-old male rider had been caught? Sure, she didn't do this by herself, but she was the one riding the bike, winning the races and taking the prize money and glory.

Sorry, but this seems very much like another example of, "Men must always held to be responsible for their actions, whilst things 'happen to' women." (A quote from the 'Psychology of criminal justice', in relation to how the criminal justice system tends to view similar offences by men and women in very different ways, with men being far more likely to receive custodial sentences as a result.)

To give her more sympathy than a similarly aged male would get simply reinforces the old 'sexist' stereotype which holds women are 'weak' and easily led, an attitude which, if equality is to mean anything, must be held to be outdated. Bottom line is that she knew exactly what she was doing and was caught.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

McLovin said:
Bavarianrider said:
Anyone with half a brain and eyes in his head knows that it has been used in the pros. While the popular videos of Cancellara or Froome leave a 1% possibility that they didn't use a motor, the one of Hesjedal certainly didn't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN7HjwZI-k0
Ryder may or may not have used a motor, but that rebuttal is brainless.
And has been discussed at length in the Ryder Motor thread.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22884&hilit=motor

After one lap of Saturday’s Under-23 race, UCI officials tested her bike in the pit area with an tablet before then taking the bike away.

It was reported that when the saddle was removed, electrical cables were found in the seat tube. When they tried to remove the bottom bracket it was stuck, but eventually a motor was found inside.

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/great-britain-team-manager-slams-electric-motor-cheating-209512#rQH8itWWiYDW1tWR.99

Here's what a normal bike looks like on X-Ray:
76896187_xraybike_75376c.jpg

TRENDING THREADS