• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Motor doping thread

Page 85 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Keep in mind that Rasmussen would've won the 2007 Tour with pretty oldschool doping. I doubt that would've been the case if any serious contender would've been able to use a motorcycle that year.

My money is absolutely on Garmin. Vandevelde was an absolute nobody when he placed 4th at the 2008 Tour. In the following years Garmin managed to develop a mediocore cyclist into a gc contender nearly each year. Finally winning the 2012 Giro with Hesjedal. They were launched and labeled as a clean team. So probably their motor doping was tolerated for pr reasons instantly. Keep in mind that Vaughters probably is enough of a hypocrite to praise motor doping for at least not hurting his athletes body. I'm pretty sure that's the whole story behind the Garmin success and the Cannondale downfall. When Wiggins took the technology with him to Sky it probably went out of control.

Armstrong in contrary is a true cycling passionist. He's enough of a sociopath as well to have the will to win at all costs and with all possibilities. But strangely enough I honestly do believe in him because he's too much of a cycling lover to change the whole matter of the sport. Turning it into motorbike racing. Armstrong is one of this guys with very strange, mafia like ethics I think. Somehow I don't know if using a motor would work with that strange ethics.

There's still Cance, CSC and Basso's strange tt results in 2005 & 2006 though. If those where benefited by a motor rather than perfluocarbon though, he simply would've kept going from 2009 onwards!

Q. Who is the biggest name bringing attention to the possibility of mechanical doping at WT level?
A. Greg Lemond

Q. Apart from the athlete and team, who would be most damaged by having their name associated with motors?
A. Bike manufacturers

Q. Which rider and bike manufacturer's misfortune would give Lemond the most satisfaction?
A. Lance and Trek

Q. Why is Lemond so vocal on mechanical doping at Grand Tour Level?
A. See above.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

TeflonDub said:
Q. Who is the biggest name bringing attention to the possibility of mechanical doping at WT level?
A. Greg Lemond

Q. Apart from the athlete and team, who would be most damaged by having their name associated with motors?
A. Bike manufacturers

Q. Which rider and bike manufacturer's misfortune would give Lemond the most satisfaction?
A. Lance and Trek

A. See above.
have to agree, Lance seems a likely candidate.

but let's group pray that he'll not be the only one exposed.
it would be too lame to have to go through another session of lance bashing.

beer's on me if it's hesjedal and/or cance.

i would obviously hope that it's froome, too.
there can't be any doubt about his 2013 ventoux.
but i doubt he or sky would draw on varjas and leave such a trail.

Re: Re:

sniper said:
TeflonDub said:
A. Greg Lemond

A. Bike manufacturers

A. Lance and Trek

A. See above.

Do you honestly think anyone would care if it's LA? The guy has already been kicked to the ground and spit on. He's laughed at, mocked and the brunt of many bad doping jokes & characterizations (e.g., "Pharmstrong" and all that). And Hesjedal? Most people can't even pronounce his name; he's a low-profile rider...who would really care also? Spartacus would be a big deal, coming off a Gold medal performance and just retiring with dignity & honor. However, I don’t see any evidence based on some footage of his hard accelerations. Big, powerful guys like Cancellera can accelerate hard dropping other riders like a they're standing still...no surprises there.

And Froome? Do you honestly think he'd be that stupid to risk everything he's accomplished becoming Britain's National hero by using a motor??? Goodness, you should hear some of the people on the CN forums...they worship his book, they idolize him, the defend him like a Knight defends his King, etc...he's become their "holier-than-thou" hero. He's built such a strong & loyal following worldwide, and to risk throwing it all away for using a motor? Perhaps for Froome, IMO, old-fashioned blood doping which doesn’t leave any evidence and can easily trick the ABP, TUE drugs IC, and non-banned PEDs - simple and safe from detection, but effective for a good responder. But motors? Isn't that far too dangerous a risk of someone talking and having some physical evidence to present?

Did one team use it exclusively, but failed to have the guts to actually use it? We'd surely know who, if they did, right?
Or were they so holy that they paid 10 years exclusivity so the sport could clean itself up, be spared the moto disgrace?

Nomad said:
sniper said:
TeflonDub said:
A. Greg Lemond

A. Bike manufacturers

A. Lance and Trek

A. See above.

Do you honestly think anyone would care if it's LA? The guy has already been kicked to the ground and spit on. He's laughed at, mocked and the brunt of many bad doping jokes & characterizations (e.g., "Pharmstrong" and all that). And Hesjedal? Most people can't even pronounce his name; he's a low-profile rider...who would really care also? Spartacus would be a big deal, coming off a Gold medal performance and just retiring with dignity & honor. However, I don’t see any evidence based on some footage of his hard accelerations. Big, powerful guys like Cancellera can accelerate hard dropping other riders like a they're standing still...no surprises there.

And Froome? Do you honestly think he'd be that stupid to risk everything he's accomplished becoming Britain's National hero by using a motor??? Goodness, you should hear some of the people on the CN forums...they worship his book, they idolize him, the defend him like a Knight defends his King, etc...he's become their "holier-than-thou" hero. He's built such a strong & loyal following worldwide, and to risk throwing it all away for using a motor? Perhaps for Froome, IMO, old-fashioned blood doping which doesn’t leave any evidence and can easily trick the ABP, TUE drugs IC, and non-banned PEDs - simple and safe from detection, but effective for a good responder. But motors? Isn't that far too dangerous a risk of someone talking and having some physical evidence to present?

"Big, powerful guys like Cancellera can accelerate hard dropping other riders like a they're standing still...no surprises there."
Is Tom Boonen not one of the biggest, most powerful riders in the peloton? Nobody would have disputed what you just said had Cance not dropped who he dropped like he was standing still. :confused:

Big surprises there and lot's of people dispute what Cance did as Tom Boonen is not pack fodder, his acceleration was not normal.

"And Froome? Do you honestly think he'd be that stupid to risk everything he's accomplished becoming Britain's National hero by using a motor???"
Sure, why wouldn't he? Froome was a nobody that happens to be a pro cyclist. All pro cyclists are suspect because historically when performances are too good to be true they're not true...

But motors? Isn't that far too dangerous a risk of someone talking and having some physical evidence to present?
You would think so, but it has already been proven that some riders are willing to take that risk.

Nomad said:
sniper said:
TeflonDub said:
A. Greg Lemond

A. Bike manufacturers

A. Lance and Trek

A. See above.

You also have to ask the question, Are they really interested in catching the motor dopers?
And using a female CX as an example does not work. Small fish, sacrificial lamb who the UCI did not really even catch.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Irondan said:
Nomad said:
sniper said:
TeflonDub said:
A. Greg Lemond

A. Bike manufacturers

A. Lance and Trek

A. See above.

"Big, powerful guys like Cancellera can accelerate hard dropping other riders like a they're standing still...no surprises there."
Is Tom Boonen not one of the biggest, most powerful riders in the peloton? Nobody would have disputed what you just said had Cance not dropped who he dropped like he was standing still. :confused:

Big surprises there and lot's of people dispute what Cance did as Tom Boonen is not pack fodder, his acceleration was not normal.

"And Froome? Do you honestly think he'd be that stupid to risk everything he's accomplished becoming Britain's National hero by using a motor???"
Sure, why wouldn't he? Froome was a nobody that happens to be a pro cyclist. All pro cyclists are suspect because historically when performances are too good to be true they're not true...

But motors? Isn't that far too dangerous a risk of someone talking and having some physical evidence to present?
You would think so, but it has already been proven that some riders are willing to take that risk.

I was standing on the Muur in 2010 about 10 meters from where Cancellara dropped Boonen. He did it seated, near the top but not anywhere near the steepest section of the climb. Boonen said after the race he was cramping and I saw him head-rolling when he came past us and Cancellara had already opened up probably six or seven seconds gap. In 10 meters.

I don't believe for a nano-second he had a motor and in that single moment it was mostly Boonen faltering not some ridiculously powerful attack. I think David Millar was more impressive on the Muur that day than Cancellara.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Re:

zlev11 said:
Cancellara at RVV wouldn't be eyebrow raising if it wasn't for his even more ludicrous attack at Paris-Roubaix a week later. put them both together and it looks fishy.

I disagree. His "attack" was more about riders sitting up and Boonen caught out at the back of the group. Yeah, he stepped on it but there was zero immediate reaction (something like 50kms to go) and the group wasn't exactly cooperating with Boonen.

Evidence of a motor? I just don't buy it. My opinion of course. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEFqL0mbazw

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Nomad said:
sniper said:
TeflonDub said:
A. Greg Lemond

A. Bike manufacturers

A. Lance and Trek

A. See above.

And what Froome had to risk back then?! He hardly won anything before 2013...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

zlev11 said:
Cancellara at RVV wouldn't be eyebrow raising if it wasn't for his even more ludicrous attack at Paris-Roubaix a week later. put them both together and it looks fishy.

Yep Canc just rode away and away and away and made it look so easy. Too easy. Big smiles to camera when he should have been in extreme pain to stay away to the line from a chasing group.

veganrob said:
Nomad said:
sniper said:
TeflonDub said:
A. Greg Lemond

A. Bike manufacturers

A. Lance and Trek

A. See above.

You also have to ask the question, Are they really interested in catching the motor dopers?
And using a female CX as an example does not work. Small fish, sacrificial lamb who the UCI did not really even catch.
That may be true with the UCI. However, what about an investigative journalist who wants to make a name for himself/herself by exposing a high-profile rider/team with tangible physical evidence such as a mechanically altered bike, along with video evidence, whistleblower statements, recorded conversations, etc.

The governing bodies may not be interested in catching motors dopers, but they couldn't stop an aggressive investigative reporter from digging up evidence, going public with it and literally turning the cycling world upside down.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Nomad said:
veganrob said:
Nomad said:
sniper said:
TeflonDub said:
A. Greg Lemond

A. Bike manufacturers

A. Lance and Trek

A. See above.

That may be true with the UCI. However, what about an investigative journalist who wants to make a name for himself/herself by exposing a high-profile rider with tangible physical evidence such as a mechanically altered bike, along with video evidence, whistleblower statements, recorded conversations, etc.

The governing bodies may not be interested in catching motors dopers, but they couldn't stop an aggressive investigative reporter from digging up evidence, going public with it and literally turning the cycling world upside down.

The motor doping thing is a huge catch. Not sure it is that easy. French TV are doing a program in January.

It would be hard to see the sport make any headway into a bigger arena after the motors come out and it will.

Re: Moto-fraud: first rider caught

Bloody Lance!

60 Minutes Investigating Mechanical Doping in Professional Cycling
December 23rd, 2016
For months, rumors have been swirling of a big story regarding mechanical doping in professional cycling. Istvan Varjas, the engineer widely regarded as the technology’s inventor, recently told French newspaper Le Monde that the public should expect major revelations on television in January, with the newspaper suggesting the shakeup would rival the Festina Affair – the largest exposé of doping culture in cycling to date.

We now know more. CBS’s 60 Minutes is preparing a segment on mechanical doping in cycling, and questions surrounding Lance Armstrong will feature heavily. Could 60 Minutes be the major reveal that Varjas hinted at?

Concerns around mechanical doping – or technological fraud, as it is called by the UCI – first gained widespread traction in 2010 when some speculated that Fabian Cancellara rode a motorized bike in several of the Spring Classics. These allegations stemmed largely from an Impressive Acceleration Away From Tom Boonen On The Kapelmuur in the Tour of Flanders and questionable hand movements which could have activated a hidden motor.

Other athletes whose bikes and performances raised questions include Ryder Hesjedal, whose rear wheel Continued To Spin After A Crash in the 2014 Vuelta a España, and Alberto Contador, who made some Oddly Timed Bike Changes when riding on to win the 2015 Giro d’Italia. Despite these allegations and the implementation of enhanced bike testing by the UCI, there has been no definitive evidence of mechanical doping in the professional road peloton to date. The sole case comes from the U23 women’s UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships where one of Femke Van den Driessche’s bikes was Found To Contain A Concealed Motor.

Varjas hinted at mechanical doping in the professional peloton as early as 1998. In an October interview with Ger Gilroy on his Off The Ball radio show, Varjas said that he sold his invention to an unnamed party in 1998 and signed an exclusivity agreement for ten years. He later clarified to Le Monde: “I was not paid to make it, I was paid not to make it for others.”

BREAKING on Front Page Cycling

FPC is now exclusively reporting a number of assertions made by a anonymous source:

60 Minutes is investigating mechanical doping in cycling and is preparing a special segment expected to air in January.

This segment will feature a journalistic investigation of Lance Armstrong.
Bill Whitaker traveled to Budapest, Hungary in June 2016 to meet with Istvan Varjas for an interview and demonstrations of the motor technology in bikes from the early 2000’s.
Whitaker has also recently interviewed former teammate of Armstrong, Tyler Hamilton.
60 Minutes has also been in close contact with Greg LeMond, a staunch anti-doping advocate who has made efforts to publicize the possibility of mechanical doping in the professional peloton.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto-fraud: first rider caught

thehog said:
Bloody Lance!

60 Minutes Investigating Mechanical Doping in Professional Cycling
December 23rd, 2016
For months, rumors have been swirling of a big story regarding mechanical doping in professional cycling. Istvan Varjas, the engineer widely regarded as the technology’s inventor, recently told French newspaper Le Monde that the public should expect major revelations on television in January, with the newspaper suggesting the shakeup would rival the Festina Affair – the largest exposé of doping culture in cycling to date.

We now know more. CBS’s 60 Minutes is preparing a segment on mechanical doping in cycling, and questions surrounding Lance Armstrong will feature heavily. Could 60 Minutes be the major reveal that Varjas hinted at?

Concerns around mechanical doping – or technological fraud, as it is called by the UCI – first gained widespread traction in 2010 when some speculated that Fabian Cancellara rode a motorized bike in several of the Spring Classics. These allegations stemmed largely from an Impressive Acceleration Away From Tom Boonen On The Kapelmuur in the Tour of Flanders and questionable hand movements which could have activated a hidden motor.

Other athletes whose bikes and performances raised questions include Ryder Hesjedal, whose rear wheel Continued To Spin After A Crash in the 2014 Vuelta a España, and Alberto Contador, who made some Oddly Timed Bike Changes when riding on to win the 2015 Giro d’Italia. Despite these allegations and the implementation of enhanced bike testing by the UCI, there has been no definitive evidence of mechanical doping in the professional road peloton to date. The sole case comes from the U23 women’s UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships where one of Femke Van den Driessche’s bikes was Found To Contain A Concealed Motor.

Varjas hinted at mechanical doping in the professional peloton as early as 1998. In an October interview with Ger Gilroy on his Off The Ball radio show, Varjas said that he sold his invention to an unnamed party in 1998 and signed an exclusivity agreement for ten years. He later clarified to Le Monde: “I was not paid to make it, I was paid not to make it for others.”

BREAKING on Front Page Cycling

FPC is now exclusively reporting a number of assertions made by a anonymous source:

60 Minutes is investigating mechanical doping in cycling and is preparing a special segment expected to air in January.

This segment will feature a journalistic investigation of Lance Armstrong.
Bill Whitaker traveled to Budapest, Hungary in June 2016 to meet with Istvan Varjas for an interview and demonstrations of the motor technology in bikes from the early 2000’s.
Whitaker has also recently interviewed former teammate of Armstrong, Tyler Hamilton.
60 Minutes has also been in close contact with Greg LeMond, a staunch anti-doping advocate who has made efforts to publicize the possibility of mechanical doping in the professional peloton.
Is it? Could be bait for the story. But would not rule it out. I remember back in the day when they used to call his inside geeks the F1 group or something to that effect.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Lance probably involved.
Question is will others be implicated too.
Let's pray to the sweet Lord and the holy mother Mary that it's not just about Lance.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Dear lord of the flies if it is!

I have a theory about Lance but doubt anyone at this point would be willing to listen.

Sometimes when life gives you a bump in the road - you view things a tad bit different. I have gone through the gambit this Christmas and don't expect my personal feeling to get any more stable but have an entirely new perspective on LA.

Shame on him if he was using motors and it is a proven fact. Could be the hammer. But I would have expected my man Tyler and his Twin or Floyd for that matter to have come up with this before. That is why I'm a bit of a skeptic.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Agreed.
I am/was skeptic too.
I've stated on this board many times that i don't think Lance used a motor. I've never seen an alien Cancellara 2010 or Froome 2013 seated jump from him.
But motors can be used for different purposes. And currently the signs are pretty strong that he used one after all.

I'd be massively disappointed if the documentary is only about Lance.

I'm pretty confident about the following riders using / having used a motor:
Sagan, Cance, Froome, Primos Roglic, Hesjedal.
Teams I suspect of systematic motor use: movistar, sky.
And those are merely the guys/teams I've seen evidence form

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
Agreed.
I am/was skeptic too.
I've stated on this board many times that i don't think Lance used a motor. I've never seen an alien Cancellara 2010 or Froome 2013 seated jump from him.
But motors can be used for different purposes. And currently the signs are pretty strong that he used one after all.

I'd be massively disappointed if the documentary is only about Lance.

I'm pretty confident about the following riders using / having used a motor:
Sagan, Cance, Froome, Primos Roglic, Hesjedal.
Teams I suspect of systematic motor use: movistar, sky.
And those are merely the guys/teams I've seen evidence form
If so then that means someone like Hincapie also. Quick Step Tom B as well.

Quick Step had a bunch of strange TT performances in the long ITT at the 2014 Giro that always seemed like possible motor use to me. riders who had never done a TT like that and haven't since. I remember being completely dumbfounded watching it happen live. it could be one of those cases that Varjas talks about, with the motors being activated without the riders' knowledge and them just thinking they had a good day.

seriously though, take a look:
http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=26044

just a super weird result from Uran, Brambilla, and Poels. De Gendt's ride isn't as strange but he was way out of form all year that season. think about how poorly Uran has done in similar time trials since then, too.

It is highly likely that Sky and Froome in particular have used motors imo. I distinctly remember Brailsford on the eve of this years TDF on BBC radio dismiss the use of motors as ridiculous and expressed shock when hearing the news that the Belgian girl got caught. Just another example of Dave trying to insult our intelligence. I'd love to hear that Brailsford interview again but I distinctly remember what I heard and shaking my head. If he'd said that he knew it was going on but that it had never been used by sky then it would not have sounded anywhere near as suspicious.

The testing for motors has been a complete farce and smacks of amateurism. The UCI have failed dismally here and have either turned a blind eye or been asleep at the wheel. I'm inclined to think it is the former given the lack of desire to act on info from French police. Cookson in his role as president has been like t**s on a bull....utterly useless.