• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Motor doping thread

Page 157 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I need to find an untouched version of those spots in the race because those videos look manipulated. If it looks like that live, it would be pretty hard to argue against some type of booster.

EDIT: After watching the videos a few more times, WP seems to be the only thing that speeds up, CF and IZ don't seem to change, nor do any of the people in the crowd. That doesn't rule out manipulation, but it does make it less likely.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

ScienceIsCool said:
Benotti69 said:
Froome and Poels today super motored!!!!!

Look at Poels talking to Froome as he goes past on the steep part of the corner like it was flat. FFS!!!!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/Archidux/status/906557462580514817
...that was the first bit of Vuelta that I've watched this year. <shake my head> But yeah, hub motors are so not real.

John Swanson
That looks doctored and footage sped up at the right moment. Have it recorded and watched back a number of times.
Not saying they don't exist just the footage is misleading- watch it back again and you can see where it speeds up- I think ?

May 26, 2010
Visit site

noddy69 said:
ScienceIsCool said:
Benotti69 said:

Look at Poels talking to Froome as he goes past on the steep part of the corner like it was flat. FFS!!!!!!!!!

...that was the first bit of Vuelta that I've watched this year. <shake my head> But yeah, hub motors are so not real.

John Swanson
That looks doctored and footage sped up at the right moment. Have it recorded and watched back a number of times.
Not saying they don't exist just the footage is misleading- watch it back again and you can see where it speeds up- I think ?

Nope. Watch the crowd.

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

noddy69 said:
ScienceIsCool said:
Benotti69 said:

John Swanson

I didn't speed up the footage, this is how it was broadcasted on Eurosport.
https://streamable.com/25rph

There's nothing doctored about that footage. That's exactly as ridiculous as it looked live. When I saw Poels take that line it looked like something you'd only see at a monster truck demolition rally. Glad he didn't tip over backwards.

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:

I can understand why other posters doubt this short clip. All doubt would be removed if a version of the clip with the Belgian commentary would be available. The way they reacted really tells us everything. If memory serves, "Even those slopes aren't steep enough for Wout Poels." and "Never seen before on the Angliru." were part of their comments.

After this hairpin, I switched off the tv. I just wasn't interested enough to see if the two motors could overtake Contador.

Another thing that caught my eye, but more jokingly, is the comment on Cycling News' live ticker a couple of stages back, when Froome actually lost some time: "Froome's eyes are glued to his stem, but his battery seems flat."

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site

noddy69 said:
OMG! The fact you think it looks sped up says it all! That is exactly how ridiculous it is.

John Swanson

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
I did not believe in motors in pro teams for long since in my opinion someone would open his mouth. But this year Vuelta opened my eyes. Froome after one stage riding after the finish exactly the same way like MotoGP riders in paddock - same moves, same style and Sky's performance today, it is really ridiculous. I am just afraid that if this will come out it will be the end of the sport :(.

And have to add that Riis on Hautacam looked absolutely natural compare to what I have seen in Vuelta ... .

If anyone who has ever ridden a bike doubts that motors do not exist in the pro peleton, well they only need watch the performances of Froome and Poels up Angliru. Took back 30+ seconds in the space of 1km from about 2.5km to go. The way Poels motored up that steep hairpin bend on the short side was insane. They must have some hi-tech engineers on that team, I've never seen such team dominance from a single team in back to back grand tours as this summer.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

ontheroad said:
If anyone who has ever ridden a bike doubts that motors do not exist in the pro peleton, well they only need watch the performances of Froome and Poels up Angliru. Took back 30+ seconds in the space of 1km from about 2.5km to go. The way Poels motored up that steep hairpin bend on the short side was insane. They must have some hi-tech engineers on that team, I've never seen such team dominance from a single team in back to back grand tours as this summer.

Boardman started the hi-tech thing with Lotus car for his track hour records.

But small electronic motors were always going to be used in bikes at some stage, and it usually starts with pros.

noddy69 said:
ScienceIsCool said:
Benotti69 said:

John Swanson
That was my first thought too, but I watched it about five more times and the only thing that speeds up is WP. CF, IZ, and the crowd seem to stay the same. That doesn't rule out manipulation, but it rules out simple manipulation. To make only one part of a video fast requires a bit more knowledge and equipment. Do let us know what you recorded footage looks like because I can't get the link to work from the post above.

Benotti69 said:
ontheroad said:

Boardman started the hi-tech thing with Lotus car for his track hour records.

But small electronic motors were always going to be used in bikes at some stage, and it usually starts with pros.

Yes, indeed he even raised concerns about 6/7 years ago. I've no doubt that more than sky have used them, but they do appear to have got a jump on the best technology whether it's through the BC link to McLaren F1 but how long can this charade go on for I'm not sure. In the past some big names were busted for PEDs but under Cookson nothing will happen and more and more riders will be tempted to hook up an engine. It used to be the team doctors who had the keys to the kingdom, at this rate it will be the team engineers.

ScienceIsCool said:
Benotti69 said:

John Swanson
Even though you're TiC, I agree, that isn't a hub motor. But I've yet to see anything that indicates anything but a booster of some kind in WP's bike. IMO they are still using the ST/BB motor.

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

ScienceIsCool said:
noddy69 said:
OMG! The fact you think it looks sped up says it all! That is exactly how ridiculous it is.

John Swanson

It's difficult to judge angles when the camera is dutched (not levelled) on a helicopter.

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Re:

TeflonDub said:
The other LOL moment from the live coverage was Froome closing down Poels after the hairpin with 1km to go. I doubt I was the only one who chuckled and said "yeah, whatever, do what you like, it's all a farce at this point."

https://twitter.com/bignickguff/status/906549780159123456

Now level your screen up so the spectators are vertical and you will see that was a ramp less steep than you think

adamfo said:
TeflonDub said:
The other LOL moment from the live coverage was Froome closing down Poels after the hairpin with 1km to go. I doubt I was the only one who chuckled and said "yeah, whatever, do what you like, it's all a farce at this point."

https://twitter.com/bignickguff/status/906549780159123456

Now level your screen up so the spectators are vertical and you will see that was a ramp less steep than you think

I think what you mean is 'just tilt your screen to one side and pretend it is a flat section' and everything will look normal.From about 2.5km to go Froome and Poels took about 40 seconds which included the steepest ramps of the stage including that hairpin bend which Poels motored around and which gets more ridiculous every time you see it. Up there with Froome Ventoux for ridiculousness. Seated climbing with ridiculous cadences are conducive to motor usage. Particularly so on 20% ramps.

Lol @ Angliru. I wasn't entirely convinced about widespread /common motor usage. Ax3 and Ventoux were exceptions. Angliru is another exception. Vuelta is getting much harder to watch. After Horner I found it hard to watch. Flicked it on again this year, and wished I hadn't bothered. Anyone who still believes in Sky is beyond help.

Just like with doping, its not just one team using boosters. Part of what makes omerta work is that everyone is in. I have to admit that I thought the ruse was up with the seat tube/BB motor, but I'm not so sure now.

The strategy is, when and how much to use your booster. If you use it up and crash you won't have any boost to help you get back. If you use too much on an early climb you won't have any for the finish climb. If you use too much on the last climb you won't have any for the flat run in to the finish.