• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Alpe d'Huez said:
Agree with that. I didn't even watch though. Seems like a rather blase year for great films. And Moonlight is almost bombing at the box office. Subject matter too dark I think. People don't want to be reminded life is shjt, then most of them are living it. Also a terrible title, Moonlight. Sounds like a Bruce Willis TV show.

As to Bill Paxton, that is very tragic. I wonder what happened? I know it was major surgery, and he had a stroke just after, but it makes me think they didn't give him enough heprin when heading to recovery, or he wasn't taking aspirin before or something like that, which is very common today. But I'm not his doctor, I have no idea what his vitals were before, during, how surgery went, etc. One thing about his career though, as I reflect upon it, while you recognize the guy immediately, he was a much more diverse actor than it seems on the surface as you look at his roles. Very diverse.

It sounds like he developed a blood clot. Can happen to anyone especially if the operation was a long one. Maybe it wasn't a typical heart operation, something more complex maybe.

Tricycle Rider said:
movingtarget said:
What an incredible error during the Best film award. Beatty seemed a bit out of it and Dunaway didn't even seem to read the card.
Was it an honest mistake, or just a Hollywood illusion?

I'm kinda suspecting the latter.

No it's seems it wasn't the presenters mistake at all. They were handed the incorrect envelope but if Dunaway had read the title above the winner's name she would have realized it was incorrect before she announced it. But it must have been awful to be standing on stage for two minutes thinking you had won then someone comes along and says you haven't ! Such is Hollywood. Someone will probably lose their job I am guessing.

Tricycle Rider said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
As to Bill Paxton, that is very tragic. I wonder what happened? I know it was major surgery, and he had a stroke just after, but it makes me think they didn't give him enough heprin when heading to recovery, or he wasn't taking aspirin before or something like that, which is very common today. But I'm not his doctor, I have no idea what his vitals were before, during, how surgery went, etc. One thing about his career though, as I reflect upon it, while you recognize the guy immediately, he was a much more diverse actor than it seems on the surface as you look at his roles. Very diverse.
This is for the autopsy people to find out (providing they do it right, and there is enough money to do it), which could take weeks and weeks.

I've seen Stripes, Aliens, Apollo 13, The Terminator, U-571, Twister, and Titanic. But I couldn't honestly point out which role Bill Paxton was actually playing - I suppose he was just that good, he just disappeared into his rather "small" roles.

Chapeau, and RIP Bill Paxton.

I watched the first film he directed as well called Frailty, not a bad thriller, quite creepy. He was one of those actors that was instantly recognizable. I didn't see much of his TV series called Big Love I think but my favorite movies of his performance wise would have been Aliens, Tombstone and probably Frailty.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Agree with that. I didn't even watch though. Seems like a rather blase year for great films. And Moonlight is almost bombing at the box office. Subject matter too dark I think. People don't want to be reminded life is shjt, then most of them are living it. Also a terrible title, Moonlight. Sounds like a Bruce Willis TV show.

I have no doubt that La La Land would have won best film a few months ago but there seemed to be a backlash against it recently re all of this diversity in Hollywood business, obviously the campaign worked but it won a lot of other awards. I haven't seen it or Moonlight but they are completely different sorts of films. Manchester By Sea does not sound like a bowl of sunlight either ! But Casey Affleck is supposed to be good in it. What was interesting is that many of the big stars that usually turn out for the Oscars did not show up this year. About 20 well known high profile people. I wonder what the reason was ? It was pretty unusual :

Kate Hudson
Brad Pitt
Angelina Jolie
Margot Robbie
Jennifer Lawrence
Kate Winslet
Cate Blanchett
Rachel McAdams
Reese Witherspoon
Gwyneth Paltrow
John Travolta
Will Smith
George Clooney
Julianne Moore
Anne Hathaway
Julia Roberts
Bradley Cooper

movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

I have no doubt that La La Land would have won best film a few months ago but there seemed to be a backlash against it recently re all of this diversity in Hollywood business, obviously the campaign worked but it won a lot of other awards. I haven't seen it or Moonlight but they are completely different sorts of films. Manchester By Sea does not sound like a bowl of sunlight either ! But Casey Affleck is supposed to be good in it. What was interesting is that many of the big stars that usually turn out for the Oscars did not show up this year. About 20 well known high profile people. I wonder what the reason was ? It was pretty unusual :

Kate Hudson
Brad Pitt
Angelina Jolie
Margot Robbie
Jennifer Lawrence
Kate Winslet
Cate Blanchett
Rachel McAdams
Reese Witherspoon
Gwyneth Paltrow
John Travolta
Will Smith
George Clooney
Julianne Moore
Anne Hathaway
Julia Roberts
Bradley Cooper

Dude, a lot of them may be shooting on location (lighting is everything!), or my girl Angelina may be trying to save some kids in Africa.

So a bunch of white people not being there means nothing.

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Best dresses at the Oscars - Charlize and Halle. (Your hairs, Halle, however, well... if you're gonna go fro just go full fro. And that ponytail of yours, Charlize??)

Worst dresses - Octavia and Scarlett. (I mean, seriously...)

Now it seems that the reporters on the red carpet are also getting judged for their fashions. Oh well such is Hollyweird.

Tricycle Rider said:
movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

Kate Hudson
Brad Pitt
Angelina Jolie
Margot Robbie
Jennifer Lawrence
Kate Winslet
Cate Blanchett
Rachel McAdams
Reese Witherspoon
Gwyneth Paltrow
John Travolta
Will Smith
George Clooney
Julianne Moore
Anne Hathaway
Julia Roberts
Bradley Cooper

Dude, a lot of them may be shooting on location (lighting is everything!), or my girl Angelina may be trying to save some kids in Africa.

Some of them might be but the only reason i mentioned it is because some entertainment reporter took note of it. Although it seems that none of those people were up for awards anyway. Anyway life goes on.

movingtarget said:
Tricycle Rider said:
movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

Kate Hudson
Brad Pitt
Angelina Jolie
Margot Robbie
Jennifer Lawrence
Kate Winslet
Cate Blanchett
Rachel McAdams
Reese Witherspoon
Gwyneth Paltrow
John Travolta
Will Smith
George Clooney
Julianne Moore
Anne Hathaway
Julia Roberts
Bradley Cooper

Some of them might be but the only reason i mentioned it is because some entertainment reporter took note of it. Although it seems that none of those people were up for awards anyway. Anyway life goes on.
there are only so many seats in the auditorium...

just to catch up...

Academy awards -
Warren Beatty did look genuinely confused - even looking off stage as though for assistance. He's not that good an actor.
Have seen LaLa Land. I did enjoy it - very Singin' in the Rain, but seemed to sway between being like Singin' in the Rain and being a regular movie, which took an edge off it. And I didn't walk away thinking, 'what a great performance by Emma Stone', so I'm scratching my head on that one - but haven't seen any of the other performances that were nominated, so who knows...
That said, I was supposed to see Manchester by the Sea, but couldn't go at the last minute - everyone said that I hadn't missed anything...

Bill Paxton - tragic.
Someone mentioned him in Stripes - I honestly don't recall him in that, nor Terminator. Weird Science, I do, as well as True Lies, Next of Kin, a Simple Plan, Edge of Tomorrow and Tombstone. I'm ignoring the more obvious; Aliens, and I've not seen Apollo 13 or Titanic - not even on tv, which is where I saw the likes of Next of Kin and Edge of Tomorrow... But, there was something about him - no matter the role, he was always likeable, which seems to be the general consensus amongst those actors paying tribute to him

Cinemas - there is just something about seeing movies on the big screen, but for me not all of them. The "chick flicks" I've seen with the missus really don't lose a thing by seeing them on the tv at home. I watched Yojimbo the other night while the missus was out, and just wished I could see it again in a cinema...

Archibald said:
movingtarget said:
Tricycle Rider said:
movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

Kate Hudson
Brad Pitt
Angelina Jolie
Margot Robbie
Jennifer Lawrence
Kate Winslet
Cate Blanchett
Rachel McAdams
Reese Witherspoon
Gwyneth Paltrow
John Travolta
Will Smith
George Clooney
Julianne Moore
Anne Hathaway
Julia Roberts
Bradley Cooper

there are only so many seats in the auditorium...

just to catch up...

Academy awards -
Warren Beatty did look genuinely confused - even looking off stage as though for assistance. He's not that good an actor.
Have seen LaLa Land. I did enjoy it - very Singin' in the Rain, but seemed to sway between being like Singin' in the Rain and being a regular movie, which took an edge off it. And I didn't walk away thinking, 'what a great performance by Emma Stone', so I'm scratching my head on that one - but haven't seen any of the other performances that were nominated, so who knows...
That said, I was supposed to see Manchester by the Sea, but couldn't go at the last minute - everyone said that I hadn't missed anything...

Bill Paxton - tragic.
Someone mentioned him in Stripes - I honestly don't recall him in that, nor Terminator. Weird Science, I do, as well as True Lies, Next of Kin, a Simple Plan, Edge of Tomorrow and Tombstone. I'm ignoring the more obvious; Aliens, and I've not seen Apollo 13 or Titanic - not even on tv, which is where I saw the likes of Next of Kin and Edge of Tomorrow... But, there was something about him - no matter the role, he was always likeable, which seems to be the general consensus amongst those actors paying tribute to him

Cinemas - there is just something about seeing movies on the big screen, but for me not all of them. The "chick flicks" I've seen with the missus really don't lose a thing by seeing them on the tv at home. I watched Yojimbo the other night while the missus was out, and just wished I could see it again in a cinema...

Yes Kurosawa movies were made to be seen at the cinema. Some of the old epics like Lawrence of Arabia were great on the big screen. Even a film like Gladiator for me is so much better at the cinema. I was hoping they would end up doing a Game of Thrones movie.

Well, great cinematic films you need to see on the big screen seem to have been replaced with these giant franchise huge CGI/VFX films. You know the movies I am talking about, all the sequels, comic books, etc. I think the last grand movie I saw that really had a big cinema feel, was The Revenanat. I did not see The Silence from this year, but it may have accomplished the same.
movingtarget said:
I have no doubt that La La Land would have won best film a few months ago but there seemed to be a backlash against it recently re all of this diversity in Hollywood business, obviously the campaign worked but it won a lot of other awards.
Agree with this.

As to Paxton, he was definitely an actor you knew who he was at a glance, but did disappear into a lot of roles. Edge of Tomorrow recently comes to mind.

And hey, I have no problem with Scarlett Johansson's dress at the Oscars. Yowza! I must state, I've always had a crush on Charlize though. She could wear anything and still be gorgeous hot, or wear nothing at all. :)

Alpe d'Huez said:
Well, great cinematic films you need to see on the big screen seem to have been replaced with these giant franchise huge CGI/VFX films. You know the movies I am talking about, all the sequels, comic books, etc. I think the last grand movie I saw that really had a big cinema feel, was The Revenanat. I did not see The Silence from this year, but it may have accomplished the same.
movingtarget said:
I have no doubt that La La Land would have won best film a few months ago but there seemed to be a backlash against it recently re all of this diversity in Hollywood business, obviously the campaign worked but it won a lot of other awards.
Agree with this.

As to Paxton, he was definitely an actor you knew who he was at a glance, but did disappear into a lot of roles. Edge of Tomorrow recently comes to mind.

And hey, I have no problem with Scarlett Johansson's dress at the Oscars. Yowza! I must state, I've always had a crush on Charlize though. She could wear anything and still be gorgeous hot, or wear nothing at all. :)

Wish I had seen Sin City on the big screen ! Loved the visuals. May have to catch Edge of Tomorrow, never saw that. As for Scarlett and Charlize well even the names sound good !

movingtarget said:
Yes Kurosawa movies were made to be seen at the cinema. Some of the old epics like Lawrence of Arabia were great on the big screen. Even a film like Gladiator for me is so much better at the cinema. I was hoping they would end up doing a Game of Thrones movie.
ooh, there's an idea... although, where would you start with it?
Ben Hur was good on the big screen - the chariot race, just great to see in a cinema - Am pretty thankful for that niche cinema back home!
Sin City was good on the big screen. I really like the way that was shot.

As for Edge of Tomorrow, think Aliens crossed with Groundhog Day... it's a bit of mindless entertainment, although I do like Emily Blunt.

Archibald said:
movingtarget said:
ooh, there's an idea... although, where would you start with it?
Ben Hur was good on the big screen - the chariot race, just great to see in a cinema - Am pretty thankful for that niche cinema back home!
Sin City was good on the big screen. I really like the way that was shot.

As for Edge of Tomorrow, think Aliens crossed with Groundhog Day... it's a bit of mindless entertainment, although I do like Emily Blunt.

They were thinking of doing a Lord of The Rings type thing with Game of Thrones at the cinema but it won't happen now unless there is a spin off which is possible considering how popular it is. The series is set to end after 16 more episodes.

Because of the recent Oscars I've been reading up on Faye Dunaway having previously known very little about her, she was one person Bette Davis never wanted to work with again. (And that's taking Davis' toxic relationship with Joan Crawford into account.) Here's a short Johnny Carson clip where Davis talks about Dunaway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkqFhfMqz9M&feature=youtu.be

And here's an article a guy wrote back in the late 90s about one of Dunaway's stays at a posh hotel.

https://andrewtobias.com/a-stars-suite-is-born/

Faye Dunaway may have been brilliant on screen or stage, but she's probably not someone I would want to know IRL. (That could be said of many actors, though, sometimes I wish I didn't find out what they are like off-screen, it ruins the illusion.)

I often got the feeling through the years Faye got shafted by the industry on more than a couple occasions, and blowback for speaking her mind on it. What happened with the great Bette Davis, I don't know, we'll never know. Same with who she really is.

Here's a corollary story. I met a guy who worked in the film industry for many years. One of the key people he said he'd work with any day is Meryl Streep, because of her professionalism, work ethic, and kindness. But if you read up on Streep, you'll also find she has a reputation of either ignoring her fans, or even treating them like obstacles in the way. So, one's thoughts on her would obviously depend on who you talk to.

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Because of the recent Oscars I've been reading up on Faye Dunaway having previously known very little about her, she was one person Bette Davis never wanted to work with again. (And that's taking Davis' toxic relationship with Joan Crawford into account.) Here's a short Johnny Carson clip where Davis talks about Dunaway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkqFhfMqz9M&feature=youtu.be

And here's an article a guy wrote back in the late 90s about one of Dunaway's stays at a posh hotel.

https://andrewtobias.com/a-stars-suite-is-born/

Faye Dunaway may have been brilliant on screen or stage, but she's probably not someone I would want to know IRL. (That could be said of many actors, though, sometimes I wish I didn't find out what they are like off-screen, it ruins the illusion.)

I don't think she was a great actress. With her it was more about being a star. She hit the ground running with Bonnie and Clyde which was one of hers and Warren Beatty's best films but ended up being in a lot of rubbish and getting paid too much to do so. A lot of people couldn't stand her and her diva antics. She was also good in Chinatown. Her last good role was probably in the Mickey Rourke movie Barfly where she wasn't very convincing as an alcoholic. The film was a mediocre adaptation of some Bukowski stories. Rourke's career was going south at that point as well even though he was in some decent films in his comeback. Rourke's story would provide sobering reading to any young actors wanting fame and glory in Hollywood.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Interesting article on most demanding stars (and directors) to work with:

http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/most-demanding-hollywood-stars.html/?a=viewall

Regarding Dunaway in Bonnie & Clyde, that very last shot of her, the look on her face during the quick cuts; just a few frames, but worth a million bucks. Hollywood magic at it's best right there.

I think the same thing about her in network, when Beale is starting his rant, a they cut back to her for a few seconds and at a time you see the look of almost lustful pleasure build on her face.

Dumbest thing ever... when I was a kid I "branded" (with just a black marker, mind) one of my dolls with the fleur de lis because Faye Dunaway made the branding seem so cool in The Three Musketeers.

(It's only much later that I had found out what that kind of branding actually meant/means.)

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:

http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/most-demanding-hollywood-stars.html/?a=viewall

Regarding Dunaway in Bonnie & Clyde, that very last shot of her, the look on her face during the quick cuts; just a few frames, but worth a million bucks. Hollywood magic at it's best right there.

A lot of critics said that was a seminal moment in 60s film history. The violence of the final scene. A very good film.

Re: Re:

patricknd said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

I think the same thing about her in network, when Beale is starting his rant, a they cut back to her for a few seconds and at a time you see the look of almost lustful pleasure build on her face.

Forgot about Network, another great movie but what a cast. William Holden, Ned Beatty, Dunaway, Peter Finch, Robert Duvall and so on. She was utterly believable in that role, it's a shame she didn't play more of those types or parts. She had some great scenes with William Holden who was probably the only sympathetic character along with Finch who was great as someone who basically had a breakdown on national TV, he deserved his posthumous Oscar.

Behind the Candelabra - wow, what did they do to Rob Lowe's face? They must have all been laughing once he got out of the make-up chair, well, except for Rob Lowe himself... his face was so tightly pulled back any attempt at making a facial expression might have cracked his make-up. Michael Douglas looked creepy, Matt Damon looked like he had gotten out of a boxing match, and I didn't even realize it was Debbie Reynolds who was playing Liberace's mother. The make-up department must have had a blast with this gig.

I thought this was an interesting movie, it certainly had a lot of star power. (In addition to the aforementioned it also had Scott Bakula, Dan Aykroyd and Paul Reiser.) It's hard to say whether the story was all true because Liberace's lover seems to have lived a messed up life (the story is based on his book and he's currently serving time in prison), and if Liberace were still alive he'd probably still be denying everything. But if there's one thing that can't be denied is that Liberace was very, very gay - just looking at him and his wardrobe I don't know how any woman could have thought otherwise.

As a boy, I think he was the very first person I ever heard of as being gay. He was always strange, and I think my parents told me he was gay, even though Liberace was in the closet to the end. After one look at him, I got it, understood what they meant. (Not that it matters, but I'm straight and always have been. So I didn't have some pre-teen gaydar going on.). Thus, I can't imagine anyone alive who thought he was straight. Clips of this film remind me some of Mommie Dearest, which we were just talking about.

Funny how time has passed, and it seems like he never needed to come out of the closet, because he was never "in" the closet, really. Sort of like Boy George. Did anyone ever really think that guy was straight? Now, mercifully, no one cares.

Rob Lowe is quite good in the TV show Code Black. I think what makes it work is that he's allowed himself to somewhat show his age in it. He's 52 in real life, and looks and acts close to it in the show. I mean that in a good, adult way.

TRENDING THREADS