• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movistar

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

BigMac said:
Kokoso said:
How about Amador? I realize that it probably has been discussed here throughly but don't have enough power to read this all. Last year's Giro surprise. In 2012 he couldn't follow Bárta who is not climber at all on Col de Joux, 2045 4th at Giro. Only one proffesional win. Not excatly most expectable result. Not exactly Froomish, but far from what he ever had done before.

Did Amador not win that stage?
he did. And what? That doesn't prove he was better climber there, you know cycling well enough to know that, so why do you react so silly.

Barta went alone on Col de Joux and gain 40 seconds advantage but lost his advantage downhill because his tyres were very slippy so he couldn't descend fast, so Amador passed him downhill and build up a lead. First De Marchi caught with him and Barta caught with them late. True, Barta didn't take leads if I remember correctly. Everything was decided in final sprint, where Barta opened sprint and kind of lead out Amador. There was no time gap between the two. Amador won that stage in the sprint.

So, Amador definitely didn't make the difference uphill. First time non-climber Barta gapped Amador uphill, then he was able to caught Amador uphill again. In one stage. Surely you know that win in the sprint doesn't have to depend on climbing strength.

So does this example show Amadors climbing improved a lot? I'm nut sure but I think rather it does. If Amador was able to make a difference uphill he wouldn't wait for final sprint, would he? These days Amador would never be caught by de Marchi or Barta.

Stranger things have happened in GT breakaways ... form (of the day), tiredness from the previous stages, effort put in maintaining the breakaway, and tactics all have an impact. Geschke won a mountain stage from a break with Uran and Pinot.

Re:

Gung Ho Gun said:
Stranger things have happened in GT breakaways ... form (of the day), tiredness from the previous stages, effort put in maintaining the breakaway, and tactics all have an impact. Geschke won a mountain stage from a break with Uran and Pinot.

Seems Nans Peters proved my point

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Gung Ho Gun said:
You are not catching the point. I've wrote what I've wrote and Big Mac's reaction was, that Amador won the stage, thus implying, that he was the better climber there. That is unfair reaction (and Bic Mac probably knew after he wrote that becase later he didn't bother to elaborate). My point is, that simply stating who won doesn't tell whole story here. That Amador won the stage doesn't mean he was the better climber there.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Kokoso said:
BigMac said:
Kokoso said:
How about Amador? I realize that it probably has been discussed here throughly but don't have enough power to read this all. Last year's Giro surprise. In 2012 he couldn't follow Bárta who is not climber at all on Col de Joux, 2045 4th at Giro. Only one proffesional win. Not excatly most expectable result. Not exactly Froomish, but far from what he ever had done before.

Did Amador not win that stage?
He did. But what of it?
So he couldn't follow Bárta on the Col de Joux... but won the stage by being the best in the break on the climb to Cervinia at the end. So it sounds kind of like Bárta cooked himself by going too hard early in the stage and Amador rode a smarter race, no?
No, not really, I suppose you've at least heard something about sprinting ability, some riders do it better, some do worse and it has nothing to do with smarter race. Amador won that stage in sprint.

But it but it's more complicating than that. Barta went alone on Col de Joux and gain 40 seconds advantage but lost his advantage downhill because his tyres were very slippy so he couldn't descend fast, so Amador passed him downhill and build up a lead. First De Marchi caught with him and Barta caught with them late. True, Barta didn't take leads if I remember correctly. Everything was decided in final sprint, where Barta opened sprint and kind of lead out Amador. There was no time gap between the two. Amador won that stage in the sprint.

So, Amador definitely didn't make the difference uphill. First time non-climber Barta gapped Amador uphill, then he was able to caught Amador uphill again. In one stage. Surely you know that win in the sprint doesn't have to depend on climbing strength.

So does this example show Amadors climbing improved a lot? I'm not sure but I think rather it does. If Amador was able to make a difference uphill he wouldn't wait for final sprint, would he? These days Amador would never be caught by de Marchi or Barta.

P.S. I suppose you've chosen not to react deliberately...wouldn't expect such cowardice from you.

Movistar boys really got some good preparation for this Vuelta.

Enric Mas looks suddenly the only guy who can match the Slovenians/Vingegaard. Even in quickstep he wasnt this strong, and last year he looked like Zubeldia. And Superman is matching his best Vinofueled days.

You really have to wonder what Valverde would have done at 41.

Let's hope they make use of it to give us a good gc fight.

Reactions: FroomeWagon
Reactions: perico and Red Rick

Movistar sign Ibargiren and Piepoli as doctor and coach.

Doesn't confirm that Ibarguren will be exclusive at MOV but assuming so and given the impact he seems to have had on QS after a dreadful 2011, has Lefevere got his losses covered?

Reactions: Red Rick
They still have Van Mol...
Yes, and as the poster above pointed out, they also had him in 2011. There is a real difference in results of QS before and during Ibarguren. The same counts for Lotto, which hired Ibarguren after the demise of Saunier Duval till the end of 2011. Jelle Vanendert winning on the Plateau de Beille and stuff like that. Really curious to see how they'll perform the coming years.

Enric Mas will be in contract year and has Ibarguren at his side. No leadership disputes. It will be all guns blazing and a dominant tour win.
Ibarguren has some cool stuff but I think Bahrain & UAE have better nuclear products. Remember how fresh as a daisy looked Pogacar in LBL and puts a monstrous sprint at the end beating Ala in the process. I would avoid dealing with Pogacar, Mas would need a big upgrade to his TT which will look suspicious af. If I'm Movistar I would go for stage hunting in Tour and Giro-Vuelta with Mas.

Last edited:
And Leonardo Piepoli! LOL
Piepoli has been a coach for a decent amout of time. He has coached Amador (when he was still at Movistar), Formolo before Patxi Vila became his coach (another convited doper who is now coaching riders), Bettiol and Pozzato.
It is interesting to see that nobody seems to have a problem with Patxi working as a coach, he was at Bora before and got the best out of Formolo, Schachmann stayed on the same lvel after leaving Quickstep and he worked with Sagan from 2015 to 2018/2019.

Il Trullo Volante also had a fairly successfuly stint at Abarcá back in the days of Chava. He was a teammate of Patxi Vila back then, in fact. And DSes Txente García Acosta and Pablo Lastras, but then again they've been there unbroken since the 90s.
Yeah, Pieopoli was rathr constant and good with them. He didn't reach the same hights that he reached at SD or at Refin-Mobilvetta (the guy was 5th on the Hautacam when Bjarne went full 60% mode, almost 2min faster than in 2008...), but he was pretty good in mountain heavy stage races.

TRENDING THREADS