• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Music! What are you listening to now?

Page 142 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This is the most pompous, egotistical and self-indulgent post I've ever made on this forum, and that means it's up against some serious competition.

However, as the year is coming to an end I got talking to a friend and basically challenging one another with regards to "album of the year" titles. And seeing as neither of us can name many albums we've much enjoyed in the last couple of years, we started going back through history, so we instead went for picking favourites by year, going back for the last half century (yes...). So this gives me a chance to be a pretentious snob of the worst kind. I was going to start in the past and gradually head to the present, but that was a bad call because it would mean starting with a piece of music that's simply unbeatable. So instead, we will start in the present day and gradually reverse time until we reach the absolute pinnacle of modern music.

2013: Esmerine Dalmak
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor side project holes itself up in Istanbul.
Lost River Blues (part 1)

2012: Mirrorring Foreign Body
- Grouper/Tiny Vipers collaboration, minimal, ethereal atmospherics.
Mine

2011: Belong Common Era
- a blend of distant, spaced-out feedback and motorik rhythms.
Come See

2010: Von Spar Foreigner
- Krautrock revivalists' time machine arrives in the 80s.
Scotch & Chablis

2009: F**k Buttons Tarot Sport
- euphoric, trancey, ethereal, yet dirty as hell.
The Lisbon Maru

2008: Sun Kil Moon April
- more morose reflection from the amazing and underrated Mark Kozelek.
Heron Blue

2007: Von Spar Von Spar
- a true homage to both the Berlin & Düsseldorf schools of kosmische.
Xaxapoya

2006: Joanna Newsom Ys.
- weird girl writing side-long songs on a harp shouldn't be this accessible.
Emily

2005: Venetian Snares Rossz Csillag Alatt Született
- breakcore terrorist adds classical music, Billie Holiday and sheer terror to the mix.
Masodik Galamb

2004: Liars They Were Wrong So We Drowned
- deeply unsettling, jarring Aussie post-punks.
Broken Witch

2003: Xiu Xiu A Promise
- before padded instrumentation ruined them, they were sparse & disturbing.
Ian Curtis Wishlist

2002: Isis Oceanic
- metal guitars, but huge atmospherics. Heavy as hell & twice as beautiful.
Hym

2001: A Silver Mt. Zion Born Into Trouble...
- another GY!BE side project, more minimal & restrained.
The Triumph of Our Tired Eyes

2000: Radiohead Kid A
- no introduction ought to be necessary here.
Idioteque

1999: Bonnie 'Prince' Billy I See a Darkness
- Johnny Cash covered this. He got Will Oldham to sing it with him to do it justice.
I See a Darkness

1998: Godspeed You! Black Emperor F#A#∞
- 1000 amateur post-apocalyptic shorts just got their soundtrack.
The Dead Flag Blues

1997: Mogwai Young Team
- post-rock as we know it is born. Still never bettered.
Mogwai Fear Satan

1996: Smog The Doctor Came At Dawn
- sounding like bleak folk beamed in from another planet.
All Your Women Things

1995: Scott Walker Tilt
- even more extraterrestrial, this was a huge dose of scary, weird WTF.
Bolivia 95

1994: Jeff Buckley Grace
- music not so alienating, but the talent level's still from another planet.
Dream Brother

1993: Red House Painters Red House Painters 1
- Mark Kozelek's continued attempt to tell you his life story in slowcore. Painfully personal.
Katy Song

1992: Red House Painters Down Colorful Hill
- ...and how it started.

1991: Slint Spiderland
- slowcore, math-rock and post-rock all owe this. Big time.
Good Morning Captain

1990: Depeche Mode Violator
- the greatest synthpop album came after the genre was dead.
Clean

1989: Pixies Doolittle
- a perfect pop album that's permanently just a bit off-kilter.
Hey

1988: Cocteau Twins Blue Bell Knoll
- the zenith of their disappearance into ethereal, blissful incomprehensibility.
Ella Megalast Burls Forever

1987: Big Black Songs About F**king
- possibly the nastiest, angriest album ever.
L Dopa

1986: The Smiths The Queen is Dead
- more idiosyncratic, overly pretentious literary pop.
Cemetry Gates

1985: The Jesus and Mary Chain Psychocandy
- sweet pop album murdered by feedback. Beautifully ugly.
In A Hole

1984: Prince Purple Rain
- Prince is an absolute genius & I will fight naysayers.
When Doves Cry

1983: Tom Waits Swordfishtrombones
- possibly the greatest living musician, the birth of his Brechtian post-barfly era.
In the Neighborhood

1982: Abwärts der Westen ist Einsam
- an altogether darker, more paranoid NDW. Hideously underrated.
Das Wort zum Sonntag

1981: The Cure Faith
- best, most abstract, distant & bleakest Cure album, & I love The Cure.
The Drowning Man

1980: Joy Division Closer
- this is as sparse, eerie and claustrophobic as they come. Amazing.
The Eternal

1979: Public Image Ltd. Metal Box
- post-punk's true manifesto, a jarring, eclectic & sinister fusion.
Careering

1978: Tom Waits Blue Valentines
- the best of his early barfly albums, pointing the way to the future.
A Sweet Little Bullet From a Pretty Blue Gun

1977: David Bowie Heroes
- this AND "Low" the same year? Bowie at his best.
V2 Schneider

1976: La Düsseldorf La Düsseldorf
- former Neu! man forms band called "the sound of the future" by Bowie.
Düsseldorf

1975: Bob Dylan Blood on the Tracks
- legendary singer-songwriter goes through divorce, becomes even better.
Idiot Wind

1974: Neil Young On the Beach
- long lost greatest album by another legendary morose songwriter.
On the Beach

1973: Lou Reed Berlin
- gloriously beautiful concept album, bleak and tragic. Reputation deserved.
Caroline Say II

1972: David Bowie The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
- concept album where every separate song is a standalone classic.
Rock & Roll Suicide

1971: Leonard Cohen Songs of Love & Hate
- best album by the other possible greatest living musician. Hardest year to choose, with "Histoire de Melody Nelson", "Pawn Hearts", "What's Going On?" "Tago Mago" and "Hunky Dory" also in '71... but deserved. This is one of the best albums ever made or that ever WILL be made.
Famous Blue Raincoat

1970: Van der Graaf Generator H to He Who am the Only One
- one of the weirdest & most uncompromising progressive bands of all.
Killer

1969: Nick Drake Five Leaves Left
- another hugely gifted, died-too-young singer-songwriter in the folk tradition
Three Hours

1968: Gilberto Gil Gilberto Gil (Frevo Rasgado)
- with Os Mutantes as the backing band, this is the highest peak in the almost-nothing-but-peaks Tropicália movement.
Ele Falava Nisso Todo Dia

1967: Leonard Cohen Songs of Leonard Cohen
- unassuming, unadorned album that launched a legend.
Master Song

1966: The Beach Boys Pet Sounds
- as flawless a pop album as you can get.
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times

1965: Bob Dylan Bringing it All Back Home
- close between this and Highway '61, I admit.
It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding

1964: Jacques Brel Enregistrement Public à l'Olympia 1964
- the opening track is "Amsterdam". No song in recorded history is better than "Amsterdam". Brel does his best to match it, but it can't be topped.
Amsterdam

There we are. Regular service can now be resumed, and I'll take my smug pretentiousness to cycling-related threads.

Libertine Seguros said:
This is the most pompous, egotistical and self-indulgent post I've ever made on this forum, and that means it's up against some serious competition.
My first question to you would be whether you sing and/or play an instrument. (For all I know you could be completely tone deaf, and thusly, I would think you are not qualified to judge a piece of music.)

How good is Damon Albarn? I'd say brilliant. He almost always has great lyrics in his songs and his voice is so melancholic and powerful at the same time. Undoubtedly one of my favourite singers, plus he is very intelligent.

Dr Dee: An English Opera is an opera created by Rufus Norris and Damon Albarn, inspired by Alan Moore. It was first performed in the Palace Theatre, in Manchester, as part of the Manchester International Festival, in 2011.

The opera is based on the life of John Dee, medical and scientific advisor to queen Elizabeth I.

Here are two of the opera's songs composed and performed by Albarn.

Apple Carts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxiYHTOE17A

The Reigning Queen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_LAoGrwy3g

Albums from the 80's:

Talking Heads, Remain In light from ´80. "Once in a lifetime" was part of the album, here is a taste from a concert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyKgMtZyfwU

Rolling Stones, Tattoo You, '81. "Start Me Up": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzlgJ-SfKYE

Dire Straits, Love Over Gold, '82. "Private Investigations" from the album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxS-ICzjO6I

U2, War, '83: "Sunday Bloody Sunday": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMCM-pgpYVg

Los Lobos, How Will the Wolf Survive?, '84. "Don't Worry Baby" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2UJWP1bdfI

more later, maybe.

Libertine Seguros said:
we started going back through history, so we instead went for picking favourites by year, going back for the last half century (yes...).

Challenge accepted! Well, maybe not for the last half century, but as long as it makes sense (to me, at least).

2013: Mikal Cronin - MCII...wonderfully bouncy power pop from this young'ish indie darling.
Weight

2012: Beachwood Sparks - The Tarnished Gold...cosmic americana anno 2012. Utterly gorgeous pop music for hazy, lazy summer days.
Forget the Song

2011: Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost...I don't really know why this one's hit me so hard, but something just clicks. Very diverse - twee glampop, gospel choirs, seven-minute epics and something in between. Kind of a mess, but I love it.
Vomit

2010: Sharon Van Etten - Epic...one of the finest songwriters to appear on the music scene the last couple of years. Rather straightforward, but Sharon sure knows how to write a song. The slow build up of the terrific 'Don't Do It' is one of my favorite moments of this decade.
Don't Do It

2009: Richard Hawley - Truelove's Gutter...this guy used to play second fiddle (not literally) in average britpopsters Longpigs and was live musician for Pulp. Who knew he was capable of this? Hawley's an amazing crooner - just listen to 'For Your Lover Give Some Time' and the MAJESTIC 'Soldier On'.
Soldier On

2008: Kathleen Edwards - Asking for Flowers...I love Kathleen Edwards! She's got attitude, vulnerability and her car trunk full of fabulous songs. Basically, she's a Canadian Lucinda Williams.
Sure as Shiit

2007: Mark Olson - The Salvation Blues...Olson and Gary Louris is one of the best songwriting couples ever - just check out their phenomenal output with The Jayhawks. 'The Salvation Blues' isn't far off, quality wise. 'Clifton Bridge' with its violin and acoustic guitar is extraordinary. Mark Olson's voice may be an acquired taste, I admit.
Clifton Bridge

More to come!

mortand said:
Challenge accepted! Well, maybe not for the last half century, but as long as it makes sense (to me, at least).

2013: Mikal Cronin - MCII...wonderfully bouncy power pop from this young'ish indie darling.
Weight

2012: Beachwood Sparks - The Tarnished Gold...cosmic americana anno 2012. Utterly gorgeous pop music for hazy, lazy summer days.
Forget the Song

2011: Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost...I don't really know why this one's hit me so hard, but something just clicks. Very diverse - twee glampop, gospel choirs, seven-minute epics and something in between. Kind of a mess, but I love it.
Vomit

2010: Sharon Van Etten - Epic...one of the finest songwriters to appear on the music scene the last couple of years. Rather straightforward, but Sharon sure knows how to write a song. The slow build up of the terrific 'Don't Do It' is one of my favorite moments of this decade.
Don't Do It

2009: Richard Hawley - Truelove's Gutter...this guy used to play second fiddle (not literally) in average britpopsters Longpigs and was live musician for Pulp. Who knew he was capable of this? Hawley's an amazing crooner - just listen to 'For Your Lover Give Some Time' and the MAJESTIC 'Soldier On'.
Soldier On

2008: Kathleen Edwards - Asking for Flowers...I love Kathleen Edwards! She's got attitude, vulnerability and her car trunk full of fabulous songs. Basically, she's a Canadian Lucinda Williams.
Sure as Shiit

2007: Mark Olson - The Salvation Blues...Olson and Gary Louris is one of the best songwriting couples ever - just check out their phenomenal output with The Jayhawks. 'The Salvation Blues' isn't far off, quality wise. 'Clifton Bridge' with its violin and acoustic guitar is extraordinary. Mark Olson's voice may be an acquired taste, I admit.
Clifton Bridge

More to come!

you want feedback?

2006: Damien Jurado - And Now That I'm In Your Shadow...tough choice between this one, Camera Obscura, Ray LaMontagne and The Lemonheads. Jurado, one of my favorite gloomy storytellers, wins by a hair with this bleak and downtrodden near-masterpiece. He's almost about to crack in opening track 'Hoquiam', and one gets the feeling that the rain never lets up in his universe. Jurado ain't no Mr. Happy-Go-Lucky.
Hoquiam

2005: Kathleen Edwards - Back to Me...yup, her again. Equal parts Lucinda Williams and Sheryl Crow, and a bunch of superb songs. Objectively, she might not be anything special, but I'm sure caught in her web. A b*tchy charm and a knack for songwriting really can take you far.
Somewhere Else

2004: Ron Sexsmith - Retriever...speaking of songwriting talent, how come Ron Sexsmith's still relatively obscure? I don't get it. Paul McCartney, Elvis Costello and a bunch of other high profile musicians are obviously fans. So am I. 'Retriever' is probably Sexsmith's finest moment yet.
Wishing Wells

2003: Songs: Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co...an insanely great year for (my kind of) music. More or less an homage to Neil Young & Crazy Horse. Listen to 'Farewell Transmission' and 'John Henry Split My Heart', and turn up the volume. Jason Molina, the mastermind behind Songs: Ohia (and Magnolia Electric Co.) died earlier this year. Along with fellow miserabilists Mark Linkous (Sparklehorse) and Elliott Smith, a tragic figure deeply missed. :(
John Henry Split My Heart

2002: Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter - Reckless Burning... one of the best debut albums I'm aware of. Jesse Sykes' raspy voice and former Whiskeytown'er Phil Wandscher's atmospheric guitar playing leads the way on this dreary, rain drenched piece of art, with occasional assistance from a weeping violin. The title track is out of this world.
Reckless Burning

mortand said:
Feedback's always welcome!

The biggest problem for majority of bands are lack of venues to play at. Nowadays its at home or at a low cost basement studio. Just my opinion.

Anyway this is just based on linked song.

Cronin is very good, but raw. Instrumentation needs practice.

Beachwood Sparks are ok, but audience will get tired quickly.

Girls: not sure yet. My sense is this takes tons of practice. Particularly the back part.

Sharon Van Etten: Agree the music is good. Simple, but good.

Hawley: Like it, but needs much better guitar player (engage hunter now that Reed is dead).

Kathleen Edwards, good voice, but I won't buy the album. Its been done before much better imo.

Mark Olson, best of these musicians imo, but where does the singer go from here?