• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 250 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
These stages like today more times than not become a war of attrition because of the hardness. They are very cruel. But we need these stages to destroy the energy of the riders. To deplete all the energy. So that the following stages only a few have a chance to win. Those who can recover.

I am still upset that the Tour does not have a single stage like this one.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Escarabajo said:
Red Rick said:
Seeing as Dumoulin is Dutch it may just be high regardless of altitude.
lol.

Dumoulin still has a chance IMHO.

Those mountain stages are hard. Probably not high, but being timely located where they are, they should be considered hard stages.

Dumoulin is tall..........he is always at altitude.
Dumoulin is like 1 or 2 cm taller than the Dutch average. He's not that tall

Re:

capuldemetal said:
cyclingnieuws‏ @cyclingnieuws1 5m5 minutes ago
More
Movistar DS: Quintana still feels the crash of last sunday. And is not 100% #Giro100
In that case, looks like yesterday may have been a lost opportunity for his rivals to put him under serious pressure. Sending riders in the break was perhaps an elaborate bluff, so they were expecting and waiting for a strong attack all day.

Red Rick said:
movingtarget said:
Escarabajo said:
Red Rick said:
lol.

Those mountain stages are hard. Probably not high, but being timely located where they are, they should be considered hard stages.

Next to Quintana, though... :p

Escarabajo said:
capuldemetal said:
More
Movistar DS: Quintana still feels the crash of last sunday. And is not 100% #Giro100
What crash? that was a soft landing! :rolleyes:
:lol: Contador won the 08 Giro with a *** broken wrist against the Italian chemical brothers and he lamentates about some non existent crash!? Seriously any random mailman kisses the tarmac much harder on snowy roads each winter. Big girls don't cry, Nairo!

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity (until aTour against Froome) for Nairo Quintana to be more than, say, Lucien Van Impe. His DS won't (unlike Van Impe) threaten to run him over with a car if he doesn't attack, but he needs to attack. If Dumourain finishes same time tomorrow, game over. Nairito needs to grow some b***s and unleash his power...win it...destroy...he can do it.

Counting the pennies...you miss the dollars...it's time for a crazy, turn the race upside down moment. Because let's be real. If Duboudin wasn't taking a dump yesterday, Quintana would still be very far.

Now he gets an opening, it should be all-in. Nibali will try, I believe that he will. Quintana? Show me.

The stage is set. Nairo Quintana can write a great page on the narrative of his career. He needs at least two minutes. This is the day. After that, I trust Major Tom to hold his own.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Tonton said:
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity (until aTour against Froome) for Nairo Quintana to be more than, say, Lucien Van Impe. His DS won't (unlike Van Impe) threaten to run him over with a car if he doesn't attack, but he needs to attack. If Dumourain finishes same time tomorrow, game over. Nairito needs to grow some b***s and unleash his power...win it...destroy...he can do it.

Counting the pennies...you miss the dollars...it's time for a crazy, turn the race upside down moment. Because let's be real. If Duboudin wasn't taking a dump yesterday, Quintana would still be very far.

Now he gets an opening, it should be all-in. Nibali will try, I believe that he will. Quintana? Show me.

The stage is set. Nairo Quintana can write a great page on the narrative of his career. He needs at least two minutes. This is the day. After that, I trust Major Tom to hold his own.

100% Agree. If Nairo wants to win. Got and get it! Show some Balls!

Tonton said:

It's not over because I think that tomorrow's MTF is good enough to create some serious gaps but it would be just too risky to count on just that. Quintana knows that Nibali will try something so I don't think that he has to create something himself because the race will explode without him doing anything.

Red Rick said:
movingtarget said:
Escarabajo said:
Red Rick said:
lol.

The Dutch are the tallest people on earth. Globally, he is still a giant. :razz:

staubsauger said:
Escarabajo said:
capuldemetal said:
More
What crash? that was a soft landing! :rolleyes:
:lol: Contador won the 08 Giro with a **** broken wrist against the Italian chemical brothers and he lamentates about some non existent crash!? Seriously any random mailman kisses the tarmac much harder on snowy roads each winter. Big girls don't cry, Nairo!
Yes, because you know exactly what he feels or doesn't feel, what he has or hasn't injured. Just stop.

showing sympathy for a rider is a very good thing, however defending and justifying him for any average perfomance after the immense pre-giro hype is quite comical. let nairo's legs and guts make the statement. if he's really on form, i'm expecting him to make up at least 30'' on Nibs and more than a minute on tom today.

Re:

dacooley said:
showing simpathy for a rider is a very good thing, however defending and justifying him for any average perfomance after the immense pre-giro hype is quite comical. let nairo's legs and guts make the statement. if he's really on form, i'm expecting him to make up at least 30'' on Nibs and more than a minute on tom today.
I ain't defending or justifying anything. All I'm saying is, you can't say he doesn't have anything injury related just because the crash didn't look so hard ( :eek: ). You don't need a hard fall in order to fracture something. staubsauger doesn't know sh*t, just like the rest of us here. All we can do is wait for the Giro to end and eventually get more news about his state.

Personally, I think it is a lack of form rather than an injury. Then again, I also know sh*t.

One thing to keep in mind is that Movistar and Quintana have shown that they're very capable of messing up his preparation for a GT. This year this is even more probable than last year since he has never attempted Giro and Tour. I'm not saying that is necessarily the case if his form is mediocre, but it is a possible explanation.

Great ride by Nairo. Made me (more of) a fan. Aggressive to a fault. Again, trying his luck from over 50km out. Nerves of steel, in it to win it, not chasing anyone but Dumoulin. Quintana and Dumoulin have made following this third week worth it (wins by Tejay and Pierro were a nice bonus).