• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:
Contador destryoed nairito last year too. He had an excuse: the giro just like contador this year has

That's true. Contador was in stellar form last year, whereas this year is different. In the three stage races he has participated, he has gotten beaten by riders he will later contest GTs with. I haven't checked statistics but I think that's very low by Contador standards. Most probablyy only 2013 can get worse than that.

I think many here are overlooking Quintana's seemingly strong allergy to pollen. He mentioned being sick from allergies before and during Pais Vasco and the Tour of Romandie; and as anyone who suffers from the same thing can corroborate, physical exercise is extremely difficult during an episode. Also, if I remember correctly, Nairo was having allergy issues during the first half of the Giro last year, which would explain his struggles during the early going of that race.

If his allergy to pollen is as bad as it looks, he should probably re-work his schedule in the future as to avoid competing during late spring races in Europe. Indurain, who also had this problem, stopped competing in the Vuelta partly due to this (back then, the Vuelta was the first GT of the season).

Also of note, Colombians usually don't know if they suffer from pollen allergies until they move to Europe or to other regions where the seasons are pronounced. Many Colombians don't even know that this allergy exists!

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Ataraxus said:
Miburo said:
Contador destryoed nairito last year too. He had an excuse: the giro just like contador this year has

That's true. Contador was in stellar form last year, whereas this year is different. In the three stage races he has participated, he has gotten beaten by riders he will later contest GTs with. I haven't checked statistics but I think that's very low by Contador standards. Most probablyy only 2013 can get worse than that.

Terrible comparison. Can't use stats from last years since he's doing the doulble this year, competely different.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
If we use the stats from 2011, Contador will end the year with 0 GT victories to his name. :p

But let's get back to Quintana. He is now the clear favourite for the Tour with the bookies. I wonder whether they priced his mental fragility in.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

Miburo said:
Ataraxus said:
Miburo said:

Terrible comparison. Can't use stats from last years since he's doing the doulble this year, competely different.

Terribly hasty statement. 2011 come to mind?

Re:

SeriousSam said:
If we use the stats from 2011, Contador will end the year with 0 GT victories to his name. :p

But let's get back to Quintana. He is now the clear favourite for the Tour with the bookies. I wonder whether they priced his mental fragility in.

Mental fragility? Interesting how two people can watch the same thing and yet come up with diametrically opposite conclusions.

Quintana was simply not fit enough to beat Froome in Romandie; I don't understand how you read that as being mentally fragile.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:
you mean in tirreno? who cares about that? by that logic quintana destroyed contador as well this year :rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

AlexNYC said:
I think many here are overlooking Quintana's seemingly strong allergy to pollen. He mentioned being sick from allergies before and during Pais Vasco and the Tour of Romandie; and as anyone who suffers from the same thing can corroborate, physical exercise is extremely difficult during an episode. Also, if I remember correctly, Nairo was having allergy issues during the first half of the Giro last year, which would explain his struggles during the early going of that race.

If his allergy to pollen is as bad as it looks, he should probably re-work his schedule in the future as to avoid competing during late spring races in Europe. Indurain, who also had this problem, stopped competing in the Vuelta partly due to this (back then, the Vuelta was the first GT of the season).

Also of note, Colombians usually don't know if they suffer from pollen allergies until they move to Europe or to other regions where the seasons are pronounced. Many Colombians don't even know that this allergy exists!
this guy knows what he's talking about

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:

lol, the delusional trolling gets more hilarious with every post :eek:

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if I'm the only one, but, in my mind I have questioned Quintana's age. His face gives the impression of a much older man.
And in Latin America (and Africa) they have this trend of manipulating sportsmen passports to show them as much younger in Europe hence to increase their contract values. (There are plenty of suchlike speculations about south-american footballers)

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Ataraxus said:
I don't know if I'm the only one, but, in my mind I have questioned Quintana's age. His face gives the impression of a much older man.
And in Latin America (and Africa) they have this trend of manipulating sportsmen passports to show them as much younger in Europe hence to increase their contract values. (There are plenty of suchlike speculations about south-american footballers)

I share your suspicion based on just his looks, but his youthful trepidation whenever Froome is in sight indicates otherwise

Re:

Ataraxus said:

All of this weak b.s. about mental fragility and the steaming pile of poo that is the above post is more an example of the off the charts ignorance and lack of respect for one of the sport's great young talents. It's just sad.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

Angliru said:
Ataraxus said:

All of this weak b.s. about mental fragility and the steaming pile of poo that is the above post is more an example of the off the charts ignorance and lack of respect for one of the sport's great young talents. It's just sad.

Before starting a dispute with you (which I'm planning to because, at first sight, I believe your post has more BS than mine), would you care to explain why do you call my post a steaming pile of poo. Please do.

Ataraxus said:
Angliru said:
Ataraxus said:

Before starting a dispute with you (which I'm planning to because, at first sight, I believe your post has more BS than mine), would you care to explain why do you call my post a steaming pile of poo. Please do.

Surely there is more evidence proving that he is actually 25 than there is against, no? Or are you just joking with these last posts?

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

Jspear said:
Ataraxus said:
Angliru said:
Ataraxus said:

Surely there is more evidence proving that he is actually 25 than there is against, no? Or are you just joking with these last posts?

And surely there's more evidence today's riders are riding clean. Yet the clinic is sometimes crowdier than PRR

Ataraxus said:
Jspear said:
Ataraxus said:
Angliru said:
Ataraxus said:

And surely there's more evidence today's riders are riding clean. Yet the clinic is sometimes crowdier than PRR

There's compelling reasons to believe clinic related stuff. Give me compelling reasons as to why Quintana is older. I'm not denying that this practice is never committed. I'm specifically talking about Quintana.

Re:

Ataraxus said:

And Esteban Chaves is 14.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Ataraxus said:
Jspear said:
Ataraxus said:
Angliru said:
Ataraxus said:

lol. the clinic isn't more crowded then here and besides, it's the only forum in the world with a seperate clinic board. outside of the ridiculous anglophone cycling followers(who are a VERY small portion of all cycling fans), nobody is interested in doping

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Arnout said:
Ataraxus said:

lol. this post wins

Arnout said:
Ataraxus said:

I could buy into that, he looks like a kid :D

Re:

Ataraxus said:
He looks at least 42 years old. Maybe hes had a history of substance abuse in his youth, he is from Colombia after all.

TRENDING THREADS