• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

The word compelling is very relative mate. Is it a compelling reason to open a thread in the clinic just after a guy wins his first monument? To me it isn't. To the user who opened the thread it is. To me, the looks on Quintana's face and the birth date manipulation practices in Africa and S.America are enough to suspect Quintana's documented age (the same is valid for Minala, the ex-Lazio player).

P.S. Since the labeling of users is quite ubiquitous in this forum, I want to clarify that I like Quintana. I've cheered for him in many occasions and I've defended him in some arguments in his thread(my previous comments). But that doesn't prevent me from saying out loud my suspicions.
Anyway. His results will show in the forthcoming years whether Quintana has that development curve a 25 year old should have in cycling. Hope my suspicions are wrong though.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Ataraxus said:
The word compelling is very relative mate. Is it a compelling reason to open a thread in the clinic just after a guy wins his first monument? To me it isn't. To the user who opened the thread it is. To me, the looks on Quintana's face and the birth date manipulation practices in Africa and S.America are enough to suspect Quintana's documented age (the same is valid for Minala, the ex-Lazio player).

P.S. Since the labeling of users is quite ubiquitous in this forum, I want to clarify that I like Quintana. I've cheered for him in many occasions and I've defended him in some arguments in his thread(my previous comments). But that doesn't prevent me from saying out loud my suspicions.
Anyway. His results will show in the forthcoming years whether Quintana has that development curve a 25 year old should have in cycling. Hope my suspicions are wrong though.
lol if you think colombia is some kind of 3rd world country comparable to african nations :eek: your whole post is beyond racist anyway

Ryo Hazuki said:
Ataraxus said:

lol if you think colombia is some kind of 3rd world country comparable to african nations :eek: your whole post is beyond racist anyway

Nice generalization. There are plenty of African nations with a higher Human Development index than Colombia. I don't know who's racist here.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

Ryo Hazuki said:
Ataraxus said:

Where in hell did you find this colombia and third world country stuff? Brazil is a BRIC and there are many speculations about its football players manipulating their real ages. There are speculations about eastern European countries that follow such practices so don't try to create irrelevant disputes please.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Ataraxus said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
Ataraxus said:

Where in hell did you find this colombia and third world country stuff? Brazil is a BRIC and there are many speculations about its football players manipulating their real ages. There are speculations about eastern European countries that follow such practices so don't try to create irrelevant disputes please.
speculatations. but never any proof. pls go back to the clinic, where indeed speculation is seen as proof :eek:

Re:

SeriousSam said:
If we use the stats from 2011, Contador will end the year with 0 GT victories to his name. :p

But let's get back to Quintana. He is now the clear favourite for the Tour with the bookies. I wonder whether they priced his mental fragility in.
website i checked has
quintana 5/2
froome 5/2
contador 7/2

not clear favorite at all.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

Ryo Hazuki said:
Ataraxus said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
Ataraxus said:

speculatations. but never any proof. pls go back to the clinic, where indeed speculation is seen as proof :eek:

Of course they are only speculations, what did you expect ffs?
It has been clear since my very first comment. If you could read more carefully, we might all see better days in this forum.
P.S. I 'm waiting for the mods to decide where this topic does belong.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

Ataraxus said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
Ataraxus said:

Just to let you know that Brazil is not Colombia and you cant put the whole South America in the same bag just because some players from Brazil has done that.

Some cases that I can remember about the manipulation of the age are from Brazil and Cuba, in football and Baseball IIRC.

That you say that you like Quintana doesnt make you point more or less valid than others... just to let you know.

Maybe you people from Europe just aren't used to Amerindian phenotypes. To me, Nairo doesn't look older than his actual age. And I'm from the same region as him.

classicomano said:
He looks at least 42 years old. Maybe hes had a history of substance abuse in his youth, he is from Colombia after all.

No, because, regarding drugs, Colombia is not a consumer country. Any European country has much higher drug consumption rates than Colombia. Even Brazil and Argentina have higher rates. And Nairo comes from a rural/semi-rural area. In these areas, drug consumption is even less common than in urban areas. Most people are very conservative about drugs.

Ataraxus said:
... To me, the looks on Quintana's face and the birth date manipulation practices in Africa and S.America are enough to suspect Quintana's documented age (the same is valid for Minala, the ex-Lazio player).

Such as? Give us some examples of famous cases of birth date manipulation in Colombian sport.

BigMac said:
Nice generalization. There are plenty of African nations with a higher Human Development index than Colombia.

the only ones are Libya, Mauritius and Seychelles.

Revisiting a dark moment in Quintana's brief history in the European peloton and the media's reaction to his success, does anyone remember a particular itt victory of Quintana's in a major week long stage race that prompted overt implications by Schlanger and Gogolski that there must be something suspect about the result (clinical)? I myself had never heard such a shameless dark cloud being painted over a rider immediately after a victory at the highest level of the sport on a major telecast. I've been following professional cycling for decades and was shocked by it. I am similarly shocked by the accusations that Quintana appears much older than his records indicate (I don't agree). What I see is a rider with a bone structure, skin tone and heritage not commonly seen in the European peloton coupled with an immense talent and a growing palmares to go with it. I guess with that comes scrutiny, and with scrutiny and the fact that he is not etched in the cookie cutter image that the fans are accustomed to, opens the door to all sorts of crazies and biases that have been relatively dormant in cycling but are quite visible in professional soccer. I'm hoping this is not the case but I suspect that cycling can't be spared from such drama if it's intention is to expand it's horizons internationally.

Re:

Singer01 said:
to the idiots who think quintana is older, how do you explain his career trajectory fitting in exactly with what you'd expect from a rider in his early to mid 20s?

By comparing his to Chris Horner's trajectory from age "37" to "41". Horner's trajectory justifies my belief that he first went to France as a very mature looking 12 year old boy. :eek:

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

tristecsinamigos said:
Maybe you people from Europe just aren't used to Amerindian phenotypes. To me, Nairo doesn't look older than his actual age. And I'm from the same region as him.

Probably. He certainly looks older than 25 to me but I concede that my ability to estimate age with looks is based on observing Europeans and learning their age.

I'm more error prone at that ask when it comes to Asian and Black people too.

Why Nairo would cheat on his age? He's racing with elite, not U-23. To make a better contract? C'mon cyclists get a contract based on performances, not on age. There are riders getting WT contracts at 40+, heck! there are GC riders over 35.

Now that BigMac brings a random indicator (http://hdr.undp.org/en/data) to despise a country, and in doing so quotes it really wrong (What Tristec says plus Tunisia, so 4 out of 53 countries is "plenty"). Not to mention that in the bottom bracket (Low human Development) there are 34 African countries out of 43 in total (only Haiti from the Americas in that level). But I would question the validity of such indicators as I see some countries with gender, racial, religious discrimination ranking very high... Maybe only because the GDP is very high...

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

slosada said:
Why Nairo would cheat on his age? He's racing with elite, not U-23. To make a better contract? C'mon cyclists get a contract based on performances, not on age. There are riders getting WT contracts at 40+, heck! there are GC riders over 35.

Now that BigMac brings a random indicator (http://hdr.undp.org/en/data) to despise a country, and in doing so quotes it really wrong (What Tristec says plus Tunisia, so 4 out of 53 countries is "plenty"). Not to mention that in the bottom bracket (Low human Development) there are 34 African countries out of 43 in total (only Haiti from the Americas in that level). But I would question the validity of such indicators as I see some countries with gender, racial, religious discrimination ranking very high... Maybe only because the GDP is very high...

The HDI is good at what it's supposed to do. There's really no reason for it to be discussed here though. Tracing things back, it appears a misguided comment from Ryo started this tangent. What a shock

Ahh, the smell test. Useful, at times, but age-wise I just think that some people look younger and some look older. Friends of mine are still getting carded at 30. if you're unfamiliar with the phenotype, you should really remember that staying quiet is often a prudent course of action. Few baskeball fans here, but I remember seeing a pic of LeBron and Carmelo in high school. I went, "I can't believe he's six months younger than Carmelo". His answer: "Yeah, he seems several years younger, doesn't he?"

Anyway, in my eyes Nairo looks younger than 25. As always, YMMV. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt as to their skepticism, particularly when it comes to cycling, but from where I'm standing unbiased reasons not to believe Quintana on his age are hard to come by.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

The Hitch said:
Airstream said:
And surely there's more evidence today's riders are riding clean. Yet the clinic is sometimes crowdier than PRR
:cool:

I've started following this forum prior to your join date. I've created my first and only username in July 12 2013. I've respected your opinions and praised (offline) your thread intros. But this is too low for your standards IMO.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

Ataraxus said:
The Hitch said:
Airstream said:
And surely there's more evidence today's riders are riding clean. Yet the clinic is sometimes crowdier than PRR
:cool:

I've started following this forum prior to your join date. I've created my first and only username in July 12 2013. I've respected your opinions and praised (offline) your thread intros. But this is too low for your standards IMO.

:confused: :confused:

TRENDING THREADS