• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 73 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

qwer said:
Beech Mtn said:
Escarabajo said:
Iker_Baqueiro said:
I just hope there are no accidents and that it can be seen if Quintana is for real or not. There's a lot of people hyping him up as a semi god, but, I don't know why. He won the Giro only because of the neutralization fiasco.

And a fake Tour de L'avenir
And a fake País Vasco 2013
And a fake 2013 Tour de France
And a fake Vuelta a Burgos 2013
And a fake Tirreno Adriatico 2015
And a fake Vuelta a España 2012
And a fake Dauphine Libere 2012
And a fake Route Du Sud

And his entire fake climbing throughout his life. You must be onto something!

Good post. Quintana has already solidly proven himself. If he had these palmares and looked like Andy Schleck, few would question whether he was over-hyped. And Nairo has bucketloads more talent than Andy.
What? Andy had a great palmares, he never trained hard except for le tour and he was the main rival of contador. Quintana trains hard and he is strong mentally, andy never was. Quitana is not more talented than contador, and andy is more talented than contador. I am a contador fan!!!
I am a schleck fan but I don't think andy has more talent than contador or quintana. he was a really good rider and maybe he was as good as them but not better

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The emergence and fall of Andy Schleck is shrowded in great mystery, yet few would deny his prodigious talent, whatever the cause.

More talented than Quintana given what we know today. As for Contador, wisdom dicates not to say anything about that.

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site

roundabout said:
Escarabajo said:
Iker_Baqueiro said:
I just hope there are no accidents and that it can be seen if Quintana is for real or not. There's a lot of people hyping him up as a semi god, but, I don't know why. He won the Giro only because of the neutralization fiasco.

And a fake Route Du Sud

And a real Aosta

And a real Circuito Montanes

And a real Regioni

And a real defense of his Avenir win

Whoa, whoa !!! Hold your horses people ! Seems like I stepped on some sensitive nerves! Not my intention.

Yeah, he won all those races you mention, but, who did he beat? Some no names?

More specifically, did he beat any of the great ones? Did he beat Contador? Did he beat Froome? Did he beat Nibali?

He has never won a grand tour by beating them. This Tour is his chance. If there are no accidents from any contender and Quintana wins, then, he will be the real deal.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Escarabajo said:
Iker_Baqueiro said:

And a fake Route Du Sud

???

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Mr.White said:
Escarabajo said:
Iker_Baqueiro said:

And a fake Route Du Sud

???
take it you didn't see the vuelta 2012

Re:

Taxus4a said:
Andy showed amazing performances, but I dont think he was more talented than Quintana...

Schleck could be painful to watch and with more discipline and tactical sense would have been an even better rider but I don't rate him below Quintana. And Quintana will never win a monument. Schleck was a young talent that stood out from an early age. Quintana has yet to hit his peak and it will be interesting to see how far he can go. If he climbs at his best, he has a real shot at the Tour this year. I would be surprised if Contador managed to do the double but it all depends on the form of his three major rivals. I think TJVG would by my choice for fifth place.

Iker_Baqueiro said:
roundabout said:
Escarabajo said:
Iker_Baqueiro said:

And a fake Route Du Sud

And a real Aosta

And a real Circuito Montanes

And a real Regioni

And a real defense of his Avenir win

Whoa, whoa !!! Hold your horses people ! Seems like I stepped on some sensitive nerves! Not my intention.

Yeah, he won all those races you mention, but, who did he beat? Some no names?

More specifically, did he beat any of the great ones? Did he beat Contador? Did he beat Froome? Did he beat Nibali?

He has never won a grand tour by beating them. This Tour is his chance. If there are no accidents from any contender and Quintana wins, then, he will be the real deal.

I pity everyone starting their careers in the future, since obviously they'll never be able to 'make it great' as they won't be able to win against Contador, Froome and Nibali. Quintana is one of 'the great ones', he's one of those you can't not mention when you're talking favourites for the Tour.
Besides; even if he doesn win this year it's not exactly like it's his last chance. The guy is 25! He's got plenty of time to win the Tour. Except of course for the importance of winning against Contador, Froome and Nibali. :rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

movingtarget said:
Taxus4a said:
Andy showed amazing performances, but I dont think he was more talented than Quintana...

Schleck could be painful to watch and with more discipline and tactical sense would have been an even better rider but I don't rate him below Quintana. And Quintana will never win a monument. Schleck was a young talent that stood out from an early age. Quintana has yet to hit his peak and it will be interesting to see how far he can go. If he climbs at his best, he has a real shot at the Tour this year. I would be surprised if Contador managed to do the double but it all depends on the form of his three major rivals. I think TJVG would by my choice for fifth place.
quintana could definitely win lombardia. was already close a few years ago

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Ryo Hazuki said:
Mr.White said:
Escarabajo said:
Iker_Baqueiro said:

And a fake Route Du Sud

???

On the contrary, I saw every stage... What great achievement Quintana accomplished in that Vuelta?
And when was he close to winning Lombardia, I sort of missed that too..?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Mr.White said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
Mr.White said:
Escarabajo said:
Iker_Baqueiro said:

And a fake Route Du Sud

???

On the contrary, I saw every stage... What great achievement Quintana accomplished in that Vuelta?
Lol he was the best climber behind those 3 (better than Piti in few stages) in his freaking first GT :eek:

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
He was 4th best climber on 2-3 stages in that Vuelta, and for some of you it is quite an achievement, that you proudly point out. Well for me it isn't!

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Mr.White said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
Mr.White said:
Escarabajo said:
Iker_Baqueiro said:

And a fake Route Du Sud

???

he was the best climber in that race among purito and contador and better than valverde. that for a 22 year old in his first gt. better keep your eyes open next time you watch cycling :eek:

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Quintana's status as Tour favourite sure isn't based on his previous accomplishments. Winning a Giro against Uran, aided by controversial decisions on the Stelvio, crashing out in the Vuelta but not before being dropped on a MTF by all the others, coming second in the Tour 2013 with very good performances but being crushed by Froome when it really counted, all these things don't even come close to the accomplishments of Contador, Nibali and Froome.

It's based on what his strength is likely going to be. He's at an age where improvements are expected and with the absence of any serious time trialling and the very high level he had in the last two years, it's reasonable regard him as the fav.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Ryo Hazuki said:
Mr.White said:
Escarabajo said:
Iker_Baqueiro said:

And a fake Route Du Sud

he was the best climber in that race among purito and contador and better than valverde. that for a 22 year old in his first gt. better keep your eyes open next time you watch cycling :eek:
[/quote]

Yeah, he was that much of a climber in that race that he not finished any single time with the likes of Purito and Contador, and Valverde for that matter. You say he was better than Valverde, is that why he finished 1h 14 min behind him!!!

You're maybe keeping you eyes open, but such a shame that you don't see a thing!

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Mr.White said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
Mr.White said:
Escarabajo said:
Iker_Baqueiro said:

And a fake Route Du Sud

Yeah, he was that much of a climber in that race that he not finished any single time with the likes of Purito and Contador, and Valverde for that matter. You say he was better than Valverde, is that why he finished 1h 14 min behind him!!!

You're maybe keeping you eyes open, but such a shame that you don't see a thing![/quote]
again it's clear you didn't see the race. quintana had to constantly motorpace valverde.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
1409248830304-xe72fact9jbx-700-80.jpg

And a few days later purito had to drag him to contador.

movingtarget said:
Taxus4a said:

As is well known Andy never won a major stage race on the road. Quintana has at 25 surpassed Andy's record in overall wins in major stage races. There isn't much of an argument here.

Ryo Hazuki said:
movingtarget said:
Taxus4a said:

quintana could definitely win lombardia. was already close a few years ago

I suppose that is one monument he could win.

Angliru said:
movingtarget said:
Taxus4a said:

As is well known Andy never won a major stage race on the road. Quintana has at 25 surpassed Andy's record in overall wins in major stage races. There isn't much of an argument here.

I think Schleck's five podium's in GTs and a monument have to mean something and as for the race that was not won on the road well that's another argument completely. Many people would argue differently. Last time I checked Quintana had two podiums in GTs.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
are you seriously talking about vuelta 2014? show me in what MOUNTAINstage he was dropped there?

But the vuelta 2012 can be used as an example for his potential but 2014 can't be used as any reference.

Nice one ryo.