• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 92 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

ILovecycling said:
ray j willings said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
ray j willings said:
Today was a great chance to try something. He looked fu%%ed when Nibs had a go. Come on tinymanofpower prove to us you are not all hype.
We need a race.
what are you crying? you are a know quintana-hater so why do you care?

quintana will wait and focus on the final week. already today sky were pretty f'd with porte sucking and pretty much everyone except thomas and froome, while movistar had 4 guys.

Show me where I am a Quintana hater? I want Quintana to do well ,I want a race.
After Bertie he was the best chance to beat Froome.
Fact is, he was awful yesterday he got beat by Porte [ who's smug face I do hate] I'm not going to pretend it was great when he was crap. I don't do that on the Bertie thread. I tell it like it is.
If you want to pretend that Quintana is the greatest climber and make excuses when he gets is as$ kicked then that's up to you, yesterday he got his arse kicked ,no excuses just a poor performance.
I hope he can show us the potential we think he has and can wipe the smug smile off Portes face and give us a race. No hater just telling it like it is.
Come on Nairo give us a race.
lol if you consider effort of around 6watts/kg a 'crap' then this :eek:

No I expected more. I did not expect him to get beat by Porte. Waving data around won't make Quintana's performance any better or make you right ,,,he was crap because we expected more and he failed to deliver.

Today just proved to me that Valverde is stronger.
It was a perfect stage for Nairo to attack but he his not good enough to make an attack stick right now
Maybe he will come good in the Alps but the stages are going by fast and so are his chances.
Very disappointing again.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

ray j willings said:
ILovecycling said:
ray j willings said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
ray j willings said:
Today was a great chance to try something. He looked fu%%ed when Nibs had a go. Come on tinymanofpower prove to us you are not all hype.
We need a race.
what are you crying? you are a know quintana-hater so why do you care?

quintana will wait and focus on the final week. already today sky were pretty f'd with porte sucking and pretty much everyone except thomas and froome, while movistar had 4 guys.

Show me where I am a Quintana hater? I want Quintana to do well ,I want a race.
After Bertie he was the best chance to beat Froome.
Fact is, he was awful yesterday he got beat by Porte [ who's smug face I do hate] I'm not going to pretend it was great when he was crap. I don't do that on the Bertie thread. I tell it like it is.
If you want to pretend that Quintana is the greatest climber and make excuses when he gets is as$ kicked then that's up to you, yesterday he got his arse kicked ,no excuses just a poor performance.
I hope he can show us the potential we think he has and can wipe the smug smile off Portes face and give us a race. No hater just telling it like it is.
Come on Nairo give us a race.
lol if you consider effort of around 6watts/kg a 'crap' then this :eek:

No I expected more. I did not expect him to get beat by Porte. Waving data around won't make Quintana's performance any better or make you right ,,,he was crap because we expected more and he failed to deliver.

Today just proved to me that Valverde is stronger.
It was a perfect stage for Nairo to attack but he his not good enough to make an attack stick right now
Maybe he will come good in the Alps but the stages are going by fast and so are his chances.
Very disappointing again.
Unbelievable...

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
What do you want me to say ILovecycling

All the pre tour talk about Quintana being the greatest climber ....How has he improved since Froome beat him in 2013?
Froome was there for the taking today. Pantani would have zoomed off into the distance.
Valverde did look better than Quintana or do you disagree? and why do you disagree ?

Lets hope Nairo can do something but right now he looks the 2nd best rider in movie star.

Now point out to me what is wrong with what I have said?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:

All the pre tour talk about Quintana being the greatest climber ....How has he improved since Froome beat him in 2013?
Froome was there for the taking today. Pantani would have zoomed off into the distance.
Valverde did look better than Quintana or do you disagree? and why do you disagree ?

Lets hope Nairo can do something but right now he looks the 2nd best rider in movie star.

I won't discuss with you as you are completely clueless cuz you dont pay attention when the race is on.(my guess)

Re:

ray j willings said:

Don't know if ILovecycling is saying that he disagrees with you, or if he is just having trouble accepting what he is seeing (hence the 'unbelievable'). Hopefully there is a clarification and some arguments coming up

Ryo Hazuki said:
Netserk said:
Lol Ryo. Who cares what numbers you can do. It's about how fast you can go that matters. No one thinks a 50kg climber doing 0.05W/kg more than a 65kg rider, but climbing slower, is impressive.
obviously it matters because watt per kg weight means how strong you can climb, especially the steeper because of gravity
Standardized for weight it does. Otherwise you might as well just reduce it and just say that watts alone means how strong you can climb...

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
Froome was there for the taking today.

At no point on that last climb was Froome ever in danger, Porte on the early part of the climb marshalled proceedings. G then protected Froome right until the last 300 meters. Simply put as much as Quintana tried to break Froome. He was never going to be allowed to do it by Sky. Movistar got it wrong and as far as we learned, Valverde is a foil for Quintana's attacks.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

damian13ster said:
ray j willings said:

Don't know if ILovecycling is saying that he disagrees with you, or if he is just having trouble accepting what he is seeing (hence the 'unbelievable'). Hopefully there is a clarification and some arguments coming up
The first, obviously. :eek:

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

damian13ster said:
ray j willings said:

He seems to think I hate Quintana...I don't ,I really want him to win but it's been disappointing so far. How can you deny that?
Seeing how tired Bertie is I was hoping the little man was going to come good.
I'm just calling it how I see it. You can't pretend Froome his not kicking his as5 because he his and Berties :( and everyone else except Valverde today who I think is looking good.
Still some good stages to come, so still a wee bit of hope.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Sky'sthelimit said:
ray j willings said:

At no point on that last climb was Froome ever in danger, Porte on the early part of the climb marshalled proceedings. G then protected Froome right until the last 300 meters. Simply put as much as Quintana tried to break Froome. He was never going to be allowed to do it by Sky. Movistar got it wrong and as far as we learned, Valverde is a foil for Quintana's attacks.

"Valverde is a foil for Quintana's attacks" What attacks ? He cant get away. He's not strong enough.
Bertie got a nice gap today, if it was 2014 Bertie he would have got away. Panatani would have got away. Armstrong would have got away. No one today had the form to sustain their effort. G had to go back and get Froome at one point. If Froome was strong he would have attacked and made it count like previous days.
He couldn't. He was there for the taking just no one could do anything.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

ILovecycling said:
damian13ster said:
ray j willings said:

ILovecycling ,,,, Can you debate my points. I asked a few questions what's your view.
I have only been civil.

ILovecycling said:
damian13ster said:
ray j willings said:

Zero arguments though? It is not like Quintana lit the world on fire. Valverde was much more active rider, often in the wind, trying to set Nairo up. I am not saying that Alejandro will be higher in GC at the end but so far Quintana was very unimpressive

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site

ray j willings said:
Sky'sthelimit said:
ray j willings said:

"Valverde is a foil for Quintana's attacks" What attacks ? He cant get away. He's not strong enough.
Bertie got a nice gap today, if it was 2014 Bertie he would have got away. Panatani would have got away. Armstrong would have got away. No one today had the form to sustain their effort. G had to go back and get Froome at one point. If Froome was strong he would have attacked and made it count like previous days.
He couldn't. He was there for the taking just no one could do anything.

The tour is a marathon not a sprint, if there is a chance to conserve energy for the two alpe stages before Paris. Riders must take those opportunities. Remember Froome does not need to go on the attack, his rivals do. It's called strategy and thinking about the long game. He was never there for Quintana to as you say in the taking for. If Contador and Quintana did truly try and make an attack stick, Froome would have responded. It was Movistar's ineptitude and lack of application put pay to any gains to be made. Given Sky controlled the vast proportion of the race in the peloton Quintana's chances diminished, when he did go on the attack Froome had G and Porte. Valverde tried to upset the rhythm of Sky, they are to astute for Movistar's antics.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:

Okay, I dont know if you are trolling or not..so for the case you are not,there is your answer.

What you said about Porte being better than Quintana and how it is disappointing is a very wrong judgement by you.You forgot that Porte was 40 minutes down by stage 10, so its absolutely irrelevant how good he climbed in comparison with GC guys (the same with Mjaka vs Nibali 2014)

Second point, of course Quintana has improved since 2013, he showed very little so far, but at least today stage was an idication that he will be stronger than in 2013. By this time 2 years ago he was dropped by Froome on Ventoux even with a headstart, today he looked on par with Froome (and put a little digs) which is good considering its a stage 12, where Quintana is not supposed to be on top.

About Valverde...I disagree because only (semi)attack which Froome responded worse was the Quintana one, and as you could see when Froome made the acceleration Quintana hold his wheel pretty good, Valverde was 'dropped' (I know he was only few bike lenghts away, but he wouldnt be with Froome if the attack would have succeded).And of course there is the stage to PSM, where Vlaverde lost a lot of time to Quintana.

I hope you understand my point now. :)

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

ILovecycling said:
ray j willings said:

Okay, I dont know if you are trolling or not..so for the case you are not,there is your answer.

What you said about Porte being better than Quintana and how it is disappointing is a very wrong judgement by you.You forgot that Porte was 40 minutes down by stage 10, so its absolutely irrelevant how good he climbed in comparison with GC guys (the same with Mjaka vs Nibali 2014)

Second point, of course Quintana has improved since 2013, he showed very little so far, but at least today stage was an idication that he will be stronger than in 2013. By this time 2 years ago he was dropped by Froome on Ventoux even with a headstart, today he looked on par with Froome (and put a little digs) which is good considering its a stage 12, where Quintana is not supposed to be on top.

About Valverde...I disagree because only (semi)attack which Froome responded worse was the Quintana one, and as you could see when Froome made the acceleration Quintana hold his wheel pretty good, Valverde was 'dropped' (I know he was only few bike lenghts away, but he wouldnt be with Froome if the attack would have succeded).And of course there is the stage to PSM, where Vlaverde lost a lot of time to Quintana.

Why would you think I am a troll. Because I don't agree with you that makes me a troll :eek: That's really stupid.
I have made clear concise points.
IMO Quintana has been disappointing.

Porte rode a lot of that climb at the front ...Quintana was sucking wheels with Froome and co.
For Porte to come back and pass Quintana that is not good however you want to look at it.

Froome today was weak other wise he would have attacked. There was a chance today to get some time back but no one could take it.
Of course Quintana could hold Froomes wheel because Froome was not so good today.

Valverde has been used to set up Quintana. He has used more energy. He has put in attacks to soften up Froome for Quintana, who so far has failed to deliver.
If it was the other way round IMO I think Valverde would be better placed than Quintana.

ray j willings said:
He seems to think I hate Quintana...I don't ,I really want him to win but it's been disappointing so far. How can you deny that?
I'm just calling it how I see it. You can't pretend Froome his not kicking his as5 because he his and Berties :( and everyone else except Valverde today who I think is looking good.

"tired" Contador? ayy. He was voted as the second favorite to win this Tour, and a lot of people was saying how he was rested after a month and how he would crush everyone. What makes you think that he is tired?

And Quintana has beaten both Contador and Froome several times indeed, them being 100%, 50% 80% or whatever you like.

ILovecycling said:

considering what he has said about Quintana not having a chance about winning a Tour and other nonsense, he is probably trolling.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

ray j willings said:
ILovecycling said:
ray j willings said:

Why would you think I am a troll. Because I don't agree with you that makes me a troll :eek: That's really stupid.

Porte rode a lot of that climb at the front ...Quintana was sucking wheels with Froome and co.
For Porte to come back and pass Quintana that is not good however you want to look at it.

Froome today was weak other wise he would have attacked. There was a chance today to get some time back but no one could take it.
Of course Quintana could hold Froomes wheel because Froome was not so good today.

Valverde has been used to set up Quintana. He has used more energy. He has put in attacks to soften up Froome for Quintana, who so far has failed to deliver.
If it was the other way round IMO I think Valverde would be better placed than Quintana.
As I said you clearly are clueless about important facts and their importance.Why you didnt you react what I said about Porte, his saved energy from entire 1st week? its surely more saved energy than he used by pacing up that climb ;)
Your points about Valverde are absolutely ridiculous I dont know what to answer on such a stupid point. :confused:

I just wanted to you know my opinion, thats all I wanted,as I said I won't discuss it with you in details,its not worth for both of us.

Expectations were simply too big, he is only 25, this is his second tour. For me second place in GC in Paris would be great achievement. He looked good in stage 10 - the best after Sky. He gained a lot of time on other podium contenders. He is 20 seconds behind van Garderen but he would be 1:10 ahead of him and 1:30 behind Froome without that blunder on stage 2...

White jersey and 2nd in GC - I don't think he should be criticized for that in Paris.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

tristecsinamigos said:
ray j willings said:

"tired" Contador? ayy. He was voted as the second favorite to win this Tour, and a lot of people was saying how he was rested after a month and how he would crush everyone. What makes you think that he is tired?

And Quintana has beaten both Contador and Froome several times indeed, them being 100%, 50% 80% or whatever you like.

ILovecycling said:

considering what he has said about Landa being better than Quintana (when so far has been totally the opposite) and other nonsense, he is probably trolling.

IMO he looks tired , I think most posters would agree that he looks/ his tired and trying to win the tour after the Giro is very difficult. Bertie is certainly not riding like he was in 2014. Fact.

Contador just beat Quintana in a stage race before the tour . TJ beat Froome in a stage of the Dauphine so what? Froome right now is taking care of business. Right now is where we are.

I never said Landa was better than Quintana ,,,show me where I said that? Check your facts and

Then apologise for calling me a troll.

ray j willings said:
tristecsinamigos said:
ray j willings said:

ILovecycling said:

considering what he has said about Landa being better than Quintana (when so far has been totally the opposite) and other nonsense, he is probably trolling.

IMO he looks tired , I think most posters would agree that he looks/ his tired and trying to win the tour after the Giro is very difficult. Bertie is certainly not riding like he was in 2014. Fact.

Contador just beat Quintana in a stage race before the tour . TJ beat Froome in a stage of the Dauphine so what? Froome right now is taking care of business. Right now is where we are.

I never said Landa was better than Quintana ,,,show me where I said that? Check your facts and

Then apologise for calling me a troll.
:eek:

34Y6yEz.jpg

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
If quintana joined sky he would be up that climb in sub 20, due to a good diet, rounder wheels, more exercise, and many other marginal gains :) so why stay at Movistar?

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

ILovecycling said:
ray j willings said:
ILovecycling said:
ray j willings said:

As I said you clearly are clueless about important facts and their importance.Why you didnt you react what I said about Porte, his saved energy from entire 1st week? its surely more saved energy than he used by pacing up that climb ;)
Your points about Valverde are absolutely ridiculous I dont know what to answer on such a stupid point. :confused:

I just wanted to you know my opinion, thats all I wanted,as I said I won't discuss it with you in details,its not worth for both of us.

So what , Quintana should have not have got beaten by Porte. He his not the no 1 rider at Sky Froome is.
Froome beat Porte,,,,news alert dot dash dot dash Quintana did not . Quintana is supposed to be racing Froome not Porte. agree?

Why are my points about Valverde ridiculous. explain why ,its no good saying its stupid explain to me why it is? In all honesty who looks the strongest rider at movie so far in this tour, Quintana or Valverde?

Its no good getting angry with me . Quintana is letting you down not me.