• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

ray j willings said:
Ruudz0r said:
ray j willings said:
Another day gone by no Quintana attack, very disappointing. Valverde tries but Froome was to strong.
Quintana still the 2nd best rider in Movie.

Was no point in attacking today for Nairo. Climb was not steep enough for him and the headwind would have killed him. He will attack in the Alpes.

You need to take every chance you can get. Headwind was not to strong for Nibs?
Valverde nearly got away. You have to try. Even Bertie was thinking about it. Tinko did the damage on the climb.
Froome looks stronger than Quintana. How is Quintana going to get 3 minutes back if he wont Attack.
Better to go down fighting. It seems Quintana is hoping Froome will have a bad day. Froome will tt like in Vuelta if he does have a bad day. The time gap is to big.
Quintana has to do something sensational to win this tour and not fear losing because he's already losing.
Take a chance "go for it" or settle for defeat now.

Froome doesnt care about Nibali, no way Quintana was getting away on this gradients with headwinds. Quintana could also have attacked on the flat yesterday, but would have had the same outcome as attacking today, not worth it.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Ruudz0r said:
ray j willings said:
Ruudz0r said:
ray j willings said:
Another day gone by no Quintana attack, very disappointing. Valverde tries but Froome was to strong.
Quintana still the 2nd best rider in Movie.

Was no point in attacking today for Nairo. Climb was not steep enough for him and the headwind would have killed him. He will attack in the Alpes.

You need to take every chance you can get. Headwind was not to strong for Nibs?
Valverde nearly got away. You have to try. Even Bertie was thinking about it. Tinko did the damage on the climb.
Froome looks stronger than Quintana. How is Quintana going to get 3 minutes back if he wont Attack.
Better to go down fighting. It seems Quintana is hoping Froome will have a bad day. Froome will tt like in Vuelta if he does have a bad day. The time gap is to big.
Quintana has to do something sensational to win this tour and not fear losing because he's already losing.
Take a chance "go for it" or settle for defeat now.

Froome doesnt care about Nibali, no way Quintana was getting away on this gradients with headwinds. Quintana could also have attacked on the flat yesterday, but would have had the same outcome as attacking today, not worth it.

well the next 4 alps stages, quintana better keeps attacking Froome. He got 3+minutes back. Waiting Froome to fade is like waiting a paint to dry. Froome keeps saying he is riding within himself to control quintana. And so far, his within himself is what quintana's climbing ceiling is. So if quintana is the best climber like he is being hyped.. what is he going to wait for. The road to Paris is closer now. Bring on his columbian leg to kick some brit assre. :D

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
I agree, but Nibs still got away. I would have like to seen Quintana at least make an attempt to follow Nibs.
You basically want an all brawn no brain approach from Quintana, and there couldn't be a worse tactic for himthan that. We're so fortunate you're not his DS :D

The way Valverde seems to have ridden mostly independently from Quintana since loosing a minute to him on stage 10s finish, it looks like Quintana is riding to second on his own to me. Quintana perhaps had a chance if Valverde put his GC hopes to one side earlier in the Pyrenees for him, but with Thomas & Porte, so stong, so late in the stages, they can't hope to both do better than that if both attacking as if going for GC as leaders surely?

Re:

samhocking said:
The way Valverde seems to have ridden mostly independently from Quintana since loosing a minute to him on stage 10s finish, it looks like Quintana is riding to second on his own to me. Quintana perhaps had a chance if Valverde put his GC hopes to one side earlier in the Pyrenees for him, but with Thomas & Porte, so stong, so late in the stages, they can't hope to both do better than that if both attacking as if going for GC as leaders surely?

It looks to me that Valverde is free, to certain degree to ride his race, being aggressive, while Quintana can sit in and view any weaknesses/cracks in Sky/Froome that may result and then capitalize, should that situation ever occur.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

SergeDeM said:
ray j willings said:
I agree, but Nibs still got away. I would have like to seen Quintana at least make an attempt to follow Nibs.
You basically want an all brawn no brain approach from Quintana, and there couldn't be a worse tactic for himthan that. We're so fortunate you're not his DS :D

Nope ...what I would like to see is Quintana at least trying a few attacks. He will not win sucking wheels.
He could have tried to go with Nibs yesterday, it may not have worked but its seems like Movie are putting all their eggs into the Alps. 3 minutes in the Alpes :eek: Froome will have to completely collapse for that to happen. So far Quintana has not been strong enough to attack Froome and make it stick. If Froome stays in this form " tour over for Quintana"

The Hitch said:
ILovecycling said:
Hugo Koblet said:
The Hitch said:
Mentioned this in the Contador thread but this is probably better, why was Quintana pulling Froome in Mende? Is he resigned himself to riding for 2nd. Already?
Yes. And he got 39 seconds on his biggest rival.
:confused:
uhh, are you serious? he trained for this race from last september to win it.
Then why is he pulling Froome, thereby saving Froome energy and costing himself?

If he really is riding for the win, he shouldn't care about TJ. Instead what he was doing was riding for 2nd at the expense of 1st.

As someone else said its also better for Quintana that others are closer to Froome. Everything he did screamed to me riding for 2nd.

Considering Quintana is yet to gain time on Froome in this Tour, it would be foolish to expect to be able to gain 3 mins on him in 4 stages, so he did the right thing by riding for 2nd that day. Now he's fairly safe at 2nd too, so he's got nothing to lose by attacking. Should shift his focus to stage wins

ray j willings said:
SergeDeM said:
ray j willings said:

Nope ...what I would like to see is Quintana at least trying a few attacks. He will not win sucking wheels.
He could have tried to go with Nibs yesterday, it may not have worked but its seems like Movie are putting all their eggs into the Alps. 3 minutes in the Alpes :eek: Froome will have to completely collapse for that to happen. So far Quintana has not been strong enough to attack Froome and make it stick. If Froome stays in this form " tour over for Quintana"

Well he has, so congrats, you got to see that.
Your man Valverde is behind Quintana in the GC so whatever he is doing is obviously not working as well as what Quintana is doing. Wait till the Alps....If Valverde is attacking there and Quintana is not, then you will have a point. Right now you don't. Valverde has attacked some, Quintana has attacked some; Quintana is ahead of Valverde....obviously he is riding better.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site

ray j willings said:
SergeDeM said:
ray j willings said:

And you'll see those attacks. What didn't make sense for him was to attack downhill with Nibali just to get 10-15 seconds back, no matter how much you would've liked to see it happen ;)

Yes, if Froome maintains his current level there is no beating him, which makes gung ho attacks all the more hopeless.

Quintana's plan is to hit Froome hard in the Alps, and seeing that it's a 4 day approach then attacking beforehand would've been a total waste of energy. He's not the energizer bunny.

Re:

fungusbear said:
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/racing/vuelta-a-espana/the-lineup-for-the-vuelta-a-espana-is-starting-to-look-incredibly-good-183680

Quintana probably going to vuelta.

Returning the favor to Valverde and being the 2nd option or as a team leader?
It is good news though. Going to be drama filled if there is friction at both Movistar and Astana.
And imagine if Froome is there as well....
It is a shame that the route sucks

damian13ster said:
fungusbear said:
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/racing/vuelta-a-espana/the-lineup-for-the-vuelta-a-espana-is-starting-to-look-incredibly-good-183680

It is good news though. Going to be drama filled if there is friction at both Movistar and Astana.

I'm pretty sure Valverde will be the team leader. Before the Tour even started the team was saying Quintana leader for the Tour with Valverde helping; Valverde leader of the Vuelta with Quintana helping. I haven't looked at the profiles yet, but if it's similar to other years my guess is Valverde will be stronger than Quintana.

Jspear said:
damian13ster said:
fungusbear said:

I'm pretty sure Valverde will be the team leader. Before the Tour even started the team was saying Quintana leader for the Tour with Valverde helping; Valverde leader of the Vuelta with Quintana helping. I haven't looked at the profiles yet, but if it's similar to other years my guess is Valverde will be stronger than Quintana.

If I remember correctly it is couple of flat stages, 2 mountain stages, ITT and rest is ___/. Didnt look at the gradients though. Just a quick look at the profiles.

Definetely suits Valverde, Rodriguez, Froome, etc. more than Quintana

Given that Quintana has never done two consecutive GTs in one year, its only logical that Valverde will lead team in the Vuelta.

Even if Froome does go to the Vuelta, Valverde is the bigger favourite there. Contrary to Froome, he has shown an ability to better in his second GT of the year. And unless Froome manages to lose this Tour, will be far more motivated to suffer through another three weeks of racing.

tomorrow is going to be important to determine if Nairito is going to get closer to the Alien in the GC -and perhaps make him nervous a bit :) I'm confident that my man will fight until the end - even if his reward is the same as two years ago.

Vamos Nairitooo!!!! :D

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

damian13ster said:
fungusbear said:

In my opinion the Vuelta route looks better than the Tour route.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Jspear said:
ray j willings said:
SergeDeM said:
ray j willings said:

Well he has, so congrats, you got to see that.
Your man Valverde is behind Quintana in the GC so whatever he is doing is obviously not working as well as what Quintana is doing. Wait till the Alps....If Valverde is attacking there and Quintana is not, then you will have a point. Right now you don't. Valverde has attacked some, Quintana has attacked some; Quintana is ahead of Valverde....obviously he is riding better.

You do know that Quintana is the short one :D

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

SergeDeM said:
ray j willings said:
SergeDeM said:
ray j willings said:

And you'll see those attacks. What didn't make sense for him was to attack downhill with Nibali just to get 10-15 seconds back, no matter how much you would've liked to see it happen ;)

Yes, if Froome maintains his current level there is no beating him, which makes gung ho attacks all the more hopeless.

Quintana's plan is to hit Froome hard in the Alps, and seeing that it's a 4 day approach then attacking beforehand would've been a total waste of energy. He's not the energizer bunny.

Why is he not the energizer bunny :D attack attack attack :D

Greg LeMond said yesterday words to the effect of: "Nairo Quintana is the greatest cycling talent I have seen in the last fifteen years."

Whoa, whoa there Mr. Lemond, what about Alberto Contador? Vincenzo Nibali? or even Chris Froome?

Is there something he does not trust about those three riders that he puts the Colombian above them?

Or was it just an ill-thought out throwaway line?

I have checked-out riders that were around 15 years ago by the way. Just a bunch of dopers.

TMJ said:
Greg LeMond said yesterday words to the effect of: "Nairo Quintana is the greatest cycling talent I have seen in the last fifteen years."

Whoa, whoa there Mr. Lemond, what about Alberto Contador? Vincenzo Nibali? or even Chris Froome?

Is there something he does not trust about those three riders that he puts the Colombian above them?

Or was it just an ill-thought out throwaway line?

I have checked-out riders that were around 15 years ago by the way. Just a bunch of dopers.
There is a reason why he said that. Other people have thought about it but have not come forward to say it.
Now, who was he thinking about it when he stopped at 15 years? :confused:

MKL

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
I’m really looking forward to what Quintana can do in the Alps.

Remember TDF 2013? On the last 3 mountain stages, Quintana took 1:55 on Froome
(this is including a 20 sec. time penalty Froome received for taking food outside permitted areas on the Alp d’Huez)

http://www.cyclograph.cc/race/get?raceName=tour_de_france-&year=2013&m=GC_TiME

Quintana was only 23 back then. He needs to gain 3:10 on the last 4 mountain stage, where Froome probably will be isolated from his team quite a bit.

I've got my money on Quintana :cool:

TRENDING THREADS