• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 168 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

lenric said:
I doubt Quintana could beat Andy Schleck.

Nairo is more well rounded than Andy. I'd say their peak climbing is very close, Andy was also relatively weak after hard, windy and cold stages, see 2011 Pyrenees. Andy would lose quite a chunk today, its very similar to the ITT where he lost the Tour in 2011. Remains to be seen how much Quintana will lose.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
This is pretty damning
https://twitter.com/assekevin/status/753720450551836673

10hpzpy.png

WTF is Nairo doing?

I think he was close to blowing, trying to get any little advantage he could. Even with that help he still got distanced again in the final 500m by the Yates/Aru group.

Perhaps the negative tactics these past 2 weeks have been because he just doesn't have the legs?

Re:

Escarabajo said:
For a guy his size it is very impressive what he does. Seriously. Historically very few small riders that have been Tour champions. There is a reason for it. Flat ITT, long flat stages, wind, etc.

So he is a very talented rider. But, having said that, I am convinced he will come back a drop these other riders that dropped him on Ventoux. He will probably be second again. But his personality and talent will make him come back hard. He won't just stand there. Not his nature. just you wait.
It's not particularly impressive (relatively speaking and compared to the greatest small climbers of all time, of course) when you look at what the Tour routes have become. They could hardly be more Quintana-friendly.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
It was such a big mess that they should allow everything there. On a hard climb in all of a sudden you're stopped by something caused by bad organization. End of the story.

Valv.Piti said:
Oliwright said:
He should be given a significant penalty or disqualified. Its only fair, he already gained loads yesterday, without the crash he would have lost much more time

You can argue both Froome and Aru also should have been disqualified then

But it sure doesn't like good.

Don't be ridiculous.
Rule states u have to finish the race with ur bike, Froome did.
Aru should have got a penalty, he was warned so many times.

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Ok, after watching the whole video, it doesn't seem as bad as I expected.
It's absolutely nothing. Just looks like he's balancing himself going past the scene of the crash, because the mavic car is taking up the whole road and he can't pass.

Classic case of a misleading photo.

Well, the others didn't have any trouble balancing. But I tend to agree with you after watching it a few times.

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Ok, after watching the whole video, it doesn't seem as bad as I expected.
It's absolutely nothing. Just looks like he's balancing himself going past the scene of the crash, because the mavic car is taking up the whole road and he can't pass.

Classic case of a misleading photo.

He's holding on to that bike for the whole length of the video, while several other riders in his group are not. There is no way to know when he start or stopped but what is clear is that he could have been riding along with doing it perfectly fine. That's not balancing himself, that's taking a tow.

TRENDING THREADS