• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 334 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Escarabajo said:
Great win for Quintana after all the pressure he had last week. Alps fit him better.
I thought that too, until I remembered he won a Pyrenees stage last year. Third week suits him better seems to be the rule. Just like last year he had a good first week, a bad second week and a stage win in the third week. Quintana saves the Tour for Movistar. That was one impressive 22 km solo!

LiquidCrystalDynamic said:
There’s quite a bit of climbing at altitude over the next two days. How big can Quintana dream? Has he been watching tapes from the 2018 Giro?
They won't let him get away again, though, so he won't be able to make up too much time in the next two stages. His current GC standings is safe, Landa is 1 minute back, Uran 130, Velverde 2 minutes.
The golden core group (Bernal, Thomas, Kruijswijk, Pinot, Buchmann) all have about two minutes on Nairo.
I will assume that at least one in that group will drop heavily, Pinot only due to number of matches spent in the first 2 weeks. I also assume that JA will drop out of podium but will it be 4 minutes worth? I believe Nairo can win another stage still and make up some time, but just not enough to change his GC position.

Re: Re:

carton said:
Escarabajo said:
The 29 yrs peak sounds more in line with the modern era of cycling post 90's. Before if I can remember correctly the peak was before that.
I think it has always been all over the place, but, in general, most riders seem to have peaked between their early-to-mid-twenties up to their late twenties to very early thirties and faded fast afterward.

Merckx's had just turned 29 at what was to be his last GT win. His only win of note after turning 30 was his last Milan-San Remo (at 30), though he did place 6th at the 1977 Tour shortly after turning 32. Bartali won his last Milan San Remo at 35, and he almost podiumed at both the Tour and the Giro at 38. Anquetil won his last Tour at 30 and had his last major results at 33. Indurain and Hinault, 31 and 32 for their both last GTs and major results. Among the more notable but less dominant riders, Joop Zoetemelk won his rainbow bands shortly before turning 39. Charly Gaul's last major results were at 28. The Delgado/Hinault/LeMond/Herrera generation seemed to fade particularly early.

The riders of the earlier eras also raced significantly more races than today's riders which certainly had to have an effect on the longevity of their careers. Today's riders of course tend to be more specialized in their focus and with the rare rider that seriously competes in grand tours and classics with a reasonable expectation of success. Merckx and his contemporaries had a ton of race mileage on their bodies by the time they reached their 30's. Still, as you said, there was the rare rider that still found some degree of success well into his thirties.

That's the way to silence the critics: Winning big while coming back to the fight!

I have to acknowledge having lost faith in Nairito's abilities, based on his last appearances in the Tour, but he always gets something out of them- whether is a stage win, or a high place in the top 10, etc- so It is quite delightful to have him back, winning with panache, and perhaps leading a way to grand surprise in the GC :)

BTW - I bet his market value just went back up greatly, so whatever team he's riding for next season better raise the bar ;)

Re:

Escarabajo said:
With the way Ineos is controlling Egan, the race could be up for grabs. Or in other words I don't see the dominant team that can control the race.

Exactly - Egan should be unleashed - but I'd say Movistar have the upper hand with 3 possible cards to play- IF they play them right :D

If Nairito is feeling strong - then he's got a chance to reach podium :)

Happy for Quintana today. Apparently he climbed the Galibier faster than the GC group.

But he isn't Spanish. I have always been of the opinion Quintana has been badly treated at Movistar since he won the 2016 Vuelta defeating Froome. I assume there was pressure then? For this he was "rewarded" by being asked to share leadership with an ageing Valverde who hasn't podiumed a Grand Tour since 2009 then to rub salt into the wound bring in the inconsistent and unpredictable Landa who continues to promise but still hasn't delivered.

Quintana has two recent Grand Tour wins for Movistar in his back pocket. He has fulfilled his side of the bargain and now they complain he under-performs. Yes they are professionals but they are also human beings I can understand NQs problems with motivation but today he showed he still has a high level and that his training in Colombia hasn't slowed him. Kudos.

Quintana's biggest career mistake was not to leave Movistar after 2016.

movingtarget said:
Escarabajo said:
With the way Ineos is controlling Egan, the race could be up for grabs. Or in other words I don't see the dominant team that can control the race.

There has been no dominant team. Groupama looked weak yesterday. Ineos is all over the place. If Movistar rode the Tour they way the rode the Giro they might have won it.

Ineous is much weaker than in 2018. This is why Bernal and not Thomas will win if it is an Ineous rider. Bernal not dependant upon the train. A train also now further weakened with the removal of Rowe.

Koronin said:
Cookster15 said:
Amazinmets87 said:
Valverde podiumed 2015 Tour...

Okay, thanks missed that. Rest of my post I stand by.

Actually Valverde has podiums in the Vuelta in 2012, 2013, and 2015, Tour podium 2015 and Giro podium 2016.

I still think he Quintana should have gone to another team instead of signing his last contract with this team.

I agree, he should have left Movistar after 2016. But these things are always more obvious in hindsight.

TRENDING THREADS