• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 352 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'll be back.
20200817-162500.jpg

Reactions: CyclistAbi
Good article on CN today:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/feature...na-and-the-revival-of-a-tour-de-france-dream/

If his knee is okay he might do very well. The Alpine stages suit him and the first week is better than usually. I think his transfer to Arkea was a good decision. Anacona, Rosa and his brother will be good support in the mountains. Barguil can aim for a stage win and perhaps the KoM while still doing his work when necessary.

Good article on CN today:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/feature...na-and-the-revival-of-a-tour-de-france-dream/

If his knee is okay he might do very well. The Alpine stages suit him and the first week is better than usually. I think his transfer to Arkea was a good decision. Anacona, Rosa and his brother will be good support in the mountains. Barguil can aim for a stage win and perhaps the KoM while still doing his work when necessary.

Many here have Barguil for the KOM, but the only way I can see that happen is actually if Quintana is out of the yellow's competition early. Otherwise he will be more or less the only serious domestique Quintana has and Quintana really wants to go for the win. So I am wondering how you guys think it can play out that Barguil can take the dots? Personally I see him winning a stage, maybe, but not a jersey that requires more freedom than on one or two stages?

Many here have Barguil for the KOM, but the only way I can see that happen is actually if Quintana is out of the yellow's competition early. Otherwise he will be more or less the only serious domestique Quintana has and Quintana really wants to go for the win. So I am wondering how you guys think it can play out that Barguil can take the dots? Personally I see him winning a stage, maybe, but not a jersey that requires more freedom than on one or two stages?

Last year Bardet won the dots by being mediocre on one single stage and terrible the rest of the race. Still a mystery to me how he pulled that off.

Hopefully, the rules are a bit different this year because that win was even uglier than Anthony Charteau's.

Has the KOM ever really been predictable? Except when Van Impe or Virenque were trying to rack it up year on year, it's the one jersey that can be completely unpredictable. Even when it's a good rider who clearly deserves it (Barguil, Alaphilippe) they're still not riders who would have been in the conversation about it beforehand. But it's also a competition that's clearly open to the occasional "who's that guy?" who gets in the right break, or a GC rider like Barguil who has one big day on the Queen stage.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Last year Bardet won the dots by being mediocre on one single stage and terrible the rest of the race. Still a mystery to me how he pulled that off.

Hopefully, the rules are a bit different this year because that win was even uglier than Anthony Charteau's.
I just don't see anyway to make the KoM great again tbh. This year it's hard to predict between GC rider and breakaway artist IMO, but only double points on Col de la Loze really favors the breakaway riders. Only thing in favor of GC riders for KoM is the race may stay relatively closed and controlled for a long time before breakaways are allowed to go.

Some mountain stages were curtailed plus the mountain stages were not as demanding. I thought it was an underwhelming effort.

Reactions: Red Rick
This would actually be perfect for typical Carapaz 600m kick, if he had his kick
Yeah, I mean the comparison between this climb and Montevergine, where Carapaz won his first Giro stage, is very obvious. I could however see Jumbo trying to absolutely drill it so Roglic can sprint away at the end. In that case Carapaz will have to be in top condition to have any chance.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS