• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 374 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It was something I heard on Mads Würtz Schmidt's podcast. He is a bit of a whiner (ie a lot of a whiner) but it was his guest who mentioned that incident (the guest who I now cannot remember who was which I realise reduces my credibility) after having been riding right behind him when he had done it. I hope it was a misinterpretation of an action but he is often brought up in a conversation when the riders discuss which riders they have a particular dislike for.
The peloton is full of whiny bitches. I’m not sure what any rider would base an interpretation of intent on.

The peloton is full of whiny bitches. I’m not sure what any rider would base an interpretation of intent on.
I think any sport as physically and mentally demanding as professional cycling would have the same issue.
I didn't know this. First time I hear this. That is indeed a very bad thing to do.
With due respect to Toby this is the first time I’ve heard this about Nairo too. I don’t believe it. I say the Movistar fans cabal would have spread this rumour far and wide if it had any solid basis in fact. We would have known about this years ago plus it would have generated headlines since it is quite outrageous and frankly dangerous

Reactions: Sandisfan
But you could make the argument that he is a still a Top 5 GT rider, more or less, which should, in theory, be quite attractive to any number of teams.
How? In his last nine GT outings he's had one Top 5 finish and that was four years ago. Sure, he could have had two if he hadn't needed Tramadol to get around, but cycling is won in the lab as well as on the road these days.

I don't think he is easy to like at all. Some of the things I have heard riders say he can do during races are crazy. Like purposely dropping bottles on descents to increase the risk of crashes for the riders behind him...

It sounds a little too crazy to be true but I have heard many riders say that he is one of the least liked riders in the bunch.
Wait, what? Nairoman would never do that.

ofc we never really know what these guys are really like. In my mind Nairo just gets on his bike and pedals up and down hills en tout sérénité

"Protestants hate him! This Colombian climber knows one trick that drives them mad."

Jokes aside, I've heard that Quintana is pretty ruthless when he's on the bike, but that sounds a bit blown out of proportion.
Besides that, I've always seen the whole peloton as reckless as hell when it comes to getting rid of bidons. Throwing them away while riding between houses, so that they often bounce back on the road and potentially cause crashes. Looking at it from that perspective only allowing it in special litter zones or throwing them to fans actually makes sense and the sport safer.

Trying to win the Vuelta a Colombia would've been a great target to revive his career after having won the Giro d'Italia & Vuelta a Espana already.

Especially since he has been kinda targeted and just gotten a warning shot by the UCI.

But Quintana seems desperate for another Grand Tour podium that just isn't going to materialize anymore. Maybe with all luck in the world he could be 3rd at the Giro d'Italia with a long-range attack in the Dolomites.

He should have been realistic and accepted the offer of Medellin. Especially since the South American cycling calendar actually has own reputation in contrary to the Asian or North American races.

Trying to win the Vuelta a Colombia would've been a great target to revive his career after having won the Giro d'Italia & Vuelta a Espana already.

Especially since he has been kinda targeted and just gotten a warning shot by the UCI.

But Quintana seems desperate for another Grand Tour podium that just isn't going to materialize anymore. Maybe with all luck in the world he could be 3rd at the Giro d'Italia with a long-range attack in the Dolomites.

He should have been realistic and accepted the offer of Medellin. Especially since the South American cycling calendar actually has own reputation in contrary to the Asian or North American races.
Going back to racing in Colombia would be the end of his career. IMHO. He will try anything to avoid doing that.

Movistar would be a great option for him. I hope they will sign him.

Movistar never has been a sprinter team, so not signing Cavendish wasn‘t that much of a surprise. They have Kanter who develops very well, and now starts to earn them constant Top-10 ranks in sprints of even big races. And Gaviria will arrive.

Nairo and Mas, that could work very well in the stage races. I think they would get along great, just like Nairo and Valverde did.

Nairo has built up that much. Why should this now be destroyed? He‘s popular, fast, and every team would benefit from him. He‘s motivated as ever, and serious on the job. I hope it does not end now, for almost „nothing“.

Fingers crossed that Movistar option works. Then he would even improve, team-wise… :)

Movistar would be a great option for him. I hope they will sign him.

Movistar never has been a sprinter team, so not signing Cavendish wasn‘t that much of a surprise. They have Kanter who develops very well, and now starts to earn them constant Top-10 ranks in sprints of even big races. And Gaviria will arrive.

Nairo and Mas, that could work very well in the stage races. I think they would get along great, just like Nairo and Valverde did.

Nairo has built up that much. Why should this now be destroyed? He‘s popular, fast, and every team would benefit from him. He‘s motivated as ever, and serious on the job. I hope it does not end now, for almost „nothing“.

Fingers crossed that Movistar option works. Then he would even improve, team-wise… :)

How is he fast?

I don't get why people keep bringing up Movistar. Their 2023 roster is full. They'll have to fire someone if they want to sign Quintana.
Things like that can always be solved If the people in charge wants it. Earlier this autumn it was talk about Oscar Rodriguez going to Kern Pharma even if has a contract with Movistar next year. That can materialize and they could have an open spot.

Things like that can always be solved If the people in charge wants it. Earlier this autumn it was talk about Oscar Rodriguez going to Kern Pharma even if has a contract with Movistar next year. That can materialize and they could have an open spot.

Ofcourse it can, but the chances are still slim. Rodriguez thing was about a trade deal with Garcia Pierna.
They would literally need to drop someone and doing that at the end of November is pretty shitty (and would cost them money).

TRENDING THREADS