• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 378 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Doesn't have anything to do with screwing the system imo because every World Tour team has automatic participation in every World Tour race. Teams in the PCT division likely to push for a wildcard place at ASO races, clearly join MPCC purely to get a better chance with ASO of receiving that place rather than an anti-doping / anti-cortico reason because we know MPCC teams have a much higher ratio of doping violations than non-MPCC teams even within ASO races. MPCCs own zero tolerance is actually quite flexible to proven dopers returning to MPCC teams compared to some World Tour teams not MPCC members.

Reactions: pastronef
He timed his press conference perfectly to fit with the latter stages of Trofeo Calvia to try to minimise those watching: what did he say?
I gather he is not retiring voluntarily, but does he have any reason to believe that he is not being retired by virtue of not having a team?

Last edited:
Reactions: Koronin
He timed his press conference perfectly to fit with the latter stages of Trofeo Calvia to try to minimise those watching: what did he say?
I gather he is not retiring voluntarily, but does he have any reason to believe that he is not being retired by virtue of not having a team?
I think you can see Quintana's press conference as turning procycling on itself. When a champion like himself and his palmares is being blacklisted and bullied, then you know that something strange is going on. He could be hired and still has better results than all the post-crash races youtuber Froome has been in.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98
I think you can see Quintana's press conference as turning procycling on itself. When a champion like himself and his palmares is being blacklisted and bullied, then you know that something strange is going on. He could be hired and still has better results than all the post-crash races youtuber Froome has been in.
I kinda respect him for extrorting millions out of the Israel retirement home nation, but yeah...

Reactions: Lui98
He took Tramadol maybe on his doctors's advice fully knowing the consequences.
He still insists that he is innocent inspite of 2 positives and CAS ruling.
The WT teams have to answer to their sponsors. The Top teams don't answer to ASO. Maybe the sponsors dont want the scrutiny but Astana, Baharain etc have been in worser situations
Maybe he is made an example but He has high expectations.
So he does not have a team

Tramadol doesn't improve performance.
Tramadol doesn't improve performance.
You can read a lot of articlea that said it does. Of course that is not blood doping, but lot of cyclitourist use to improve. It is not oficially doping, but it is not allowed in cyclimg and he had inside. this is not as salbutamol, which is not a positive, it depends of another factor..here if you have the subtance, you are positive.

Quintana to EF?

1) EF is the land of second chances, the home of lost boys. Quintana is their type of rider;

2) They've already got three Colombians, four is a better number;

3) While EF is an MPCC team, the MPCC's rules are a bit opaque on Tramadol bans, with Legeay seeking to apply 2024's standard to a 2022 incident. Despite the fact that Vaughters likes Legeay Crédit Agricole he could still call out the obvious hypocrisy. If he wanted to (if the language teachers writing his pay cheque allowed him to);

4) Vaughters thumbing his nose at ASO would be a good move for a man who has built his managerial career on whining and moaning about ASO and the power it wields over weak-willed teams. He needs to step up and walk the walk, not just talk the talk. He's got nothing to lose except the invites to ASO races after EF gets demoted at the end of 2025;

5) Maybe even without recourse to painkillers (or however else that Tramadol got into his system, Quintana could still score some valuable points;

6) Signing Quintana would be the biggest PR win of EF's season, even more valuable than their new Giro jersey come May or whatever Audax event he sends one of his riders too.

He took Tramadol maybe on his doctors's advice fully knowing the consequences.
He still insists that he is innocent inspite of 2 positives and CAS ruling.
The WT teams have to answer to their sponsors. The Top teams don't answer to ASO. Maybe the sponsors dont want the scrutiny but Astana, Baharain etc have been in worser situations
Maybe he is made an example but He has high expectations.
So he does not have a team
I certainly don't know deeper details than this gossip network can produce but there is always the chance that the first offense is the tip of and iceberg where other teams could have similar risk. Signing Quintana opens up a team to deeper scrutiny, for sure.

I certainly don't know deeper details than this gossip network can produce but there is always the chance that the first offense is the tip of and iceberg where other teams could have similar risk. Signing Quintana opens up a team to deeper scrutiny, for sure.
Yes, you have a good point. Just look what happened to Froome after the Salbutamol case. His career was in shatters.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Quintana to EF?

1) EF is the land of second chances, the home of lost boys. Quintana is their type of rider;

2) They've already got three Colombians, four is a better number;

3) While EF is an MPCC team, the MPCC's rules are a bit opaque on Tramadol bans, with Legeay seeking to apply 2024's standard to a 2022 incident. Despite the fact that Vaughters likes Legeay Crédit Agricole he could still call out the obvious hypocrisy. If he wanted to (if the language teachers writing his pay cheque allowed him to);

4) Vaughters thumbing his nose at ASO would be a good move for a man who has built his managerial career on whining and moaning about ASO and the power it wields over weak-willed teams. He needs to step up and walk the walk, not just talk the talk. He's got nothing to lose except the invites to ASO races after EF gets demoted at the end of 2025;

5) Maybe even without recourse to painkillers (or however else that Tramadol got into his system, Quintana could still score some valuable points;

6) Signing Quintana would be the biggest PR win of EF's season, even more valuable than their new Giro jersey come May or whatever Audax event he sends one of his riders too.
If you mean 2023, they don't have a free spot on their team and I don't see them getting rid of one of their current riders for Quintana. I think they've already hinted they wouldn't for any of the B&B riders.

I also don't think Quintana is EF's type of rider. They very rarely sign anybody who's even remotely a big name and over 30 years old at the same time (not counting contract extensions). Also already having riders like Carapaz, Uran and Chaves, they don't gain all that much with Quintana either in sporting or in marketing possibilities.

Savio wants to return to the pro continental ranks in 2024 and looks for additional big Colombian sponsorship.

Given Scarponi & Pellizotti returned with him as well and Quintana solves his business interests and attracts Colombian enterprises....

I don't see Quintana fit in DSM, nor Caja Rujal suddenly signing him for the Vuelta a Espana.

Unless Wanty signs Quintana late minute for the Giro d'Italia like they did with Pozzo last year. But that's quite a gamble that could completely fail.

It would be nice if he or the team speculated as to where the Tramadol came from (i.e. did Nairo have his own supplements or therapists, or were they all from the team?). My riding partner even suggested that he was sabotaged by someone on the team.
Maybe his body just naturally produces it? Magic genes is so much better than a multi-faceted conspiracy targeted on a fading former star. I mean, what's the motive here?

I don't doubt that he had Tramadol in his system, even if it was trace amounts (he presented hair sample analysis to TAS that were negative). But, I do believe the French heads of the UCI, MPCC, ASO and Arkea are putting the screws to him.
It would be nice if he or the team speculated as to where the Tramadol came from (i.e. did Nairo have his own supplements or therapists, or were they all from the team?). My riding partner even suggested that he was sabotaged by someone on the team.
Wrong forum for this discussion!

Reactions: Monte Serra

TRENDING THREADS