• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 381 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This is a witchhunt against Quintana. No idea why...

Exactly. MPCC has some power and connections to ASO, that‘s bad now for Quintana.

MPCC has always cared about stuff which are actually not a problem. Corticoids in the past, now tramadol. They rather should care about EPO or blood doping.

It is what it is. Sad story. Is this really the end of Nairo‘s time at WT level? It all came so suddenly. I also have no idea why Nairo is treated this way, now. Probably stuff folks like me don‘t know about.

The logic with Nairo (and MAL) is the same as in the Pantani case: „Destroy the rider (until he‘s dead, if necessary - see Pantani) to heal the sport!“… It hasn‘t healed anything in Pantanis case, and won‘t heal anything now. Only result are riders and their families who will ask themselves „Why?“ in all times to come.

Witchhunt against scapegoat Quintana is in full gas mode. No one knows why. Normally they do this to riders who are close to retiring, and don‘t win much any more (example is Samuel Sanchez)…

Keep fighting, dear Nairo Quintana.

Three clichés in one sentence.
What would be the guess that there was some other issue involved that only the Columbian Federation could confirm? That many of the Columbian riders share the same original agent and support staff might threaten or compromise the riders to the UCI, MPCC and the status quo. Political revenge isn't unheard of in this sport. Lopez is in the same boat, minus the Tramadol?

Maybe you haven't been reading. Quintana was caught abusing Tramadol. The MPCC have taken a stance against Tramadol. Of course the MPCC do not want him back, even if they have no actual rule banning him. Looking for conspiracies beyond that is crazy talk.

Maybe you haven't been reading. Quintana was caught abusing Tramadol. The MPCC have taken a stance against Tramadol. Of course the MPCC do not want him back, even if they have no actual rule banning him. Looking for conspiracies beyond that is crazy talk.
Maybe you should stop assuming what others know or don't know. Condescendence stinks.
All I see is a word class rider being silently banned from the pro peloton as aresult of the use of a non-performance substance. Other examples in the past show that has not been the case with every rider or that UCI is prone on being more flexible.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The MPCC have taken a stance against Tramadol.

Ah, I always knew it - MPCC will save cycling, one day… ;-)

Reminds me of myself, somehow… MPCC is against Tramadol, and I am against bad weather, for example… :)

MPCC did not know/respect an eternal rule of road race cycling: „If it is not prohibited, you should take everything you can get, as long as it makes you faster.“. No matter if it‘s tramadol or animal blood or whatever…

Nairo took Tramadol, which wasn‘t banned yet by WADA.

On the other hand: Nairo at least took something (Tramadol). Miguel Angel Lopez apparently did nothing at all, and - like Nairo - also was kicked out. I hope that‘s not the future, that some prople decide and succeed in kicking out people they don‘t like for whatever reason. Back to the middle ages, in pro cycling?

Rules should be obeyed, by riders - and by anyone else…

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan
What you said is mostly obvious. That the MPCC takes a serious stand to this degree hasn't been the norm particularly in the absence of a formal rule. Quality riders being left on the bench with no offers is also not unheard of but generally that situation runs to reasons not discussed openly. Lopez's behavior on Movistar certainly would qualify him for skepticism as a good team rider. Quintana had a seriously good Tour after several years of going backward.
It's not crazy to wonder why there hasn't been pressure to broker a peace for a rider of his history, at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koronin
And now for the newest update in the rumour-mill:

And now for the newest update in the rumour-mill:

Yeah, this would be super good - Contador and Basso as team managers, and Quintana as their rider.

A dream team, by taking the best of Italian, Spanish and Colombian cycling.

I hope they ink the contract quickly, so that Nairo can prepare calmly for the Giro.

For Nairo, it would be good to do Tour of the Alps end of April, then he can go to the Giro. I dream of Remco vs Roglic vs Nairo on the MTFs of next Giro. Nairo did not even lose a full minute to Vingegaard in last year’s TdF‘s brutal Granon stage. With this shape, he‘d be a serious threat to Remco and Primoz in May.

Fingers crossed the EOLO option will come true… :)

The photo used in that Cycling Today report was taken at the 53rd annual Boyacaca Poetry Slam where Quintana performed his update of Thomas Wyatt's 'They flee from me that sometime did me seek'...
2ad70694-f235-4763-b01c-96358bdd2baa_16-9-discover-aspect-ratio_default_0-696x392.jpg

This should further fan the flames of the conspiracy theorists: two months into the season and Domenico Pozzovivo is about to be signed by IPT. Meanwhile February has come and gone and Quintana's planned face-to-face talks with team bosses have got him what? He hasn't even been linked to Q36.5 ("You're listening to Q36.5, the home of tomorrow's charity shop cycling jerseys!") or Tentpole Tudor ("Wunderbar! Wunderbar! Wunderbar!"). Maybe it really is time he thought about gravel.

Last edited:
Just pinning on a number will count as a win? How low have Colombian cycling ambitions fallen?

"I'm at a good level, we're still moving forwards, with the hope of having a race number again for the top events in the sport. The day I achieve that, it'll be a big victory, not just for myself, but for Colombia and Latin America as well."

"I'm still convinced that I can do something and the numbers I have from training back me up. I've been talking to various different people, and right now any team can contract me without any problem,. We have to bear in mind that some already have full rosters and that makes things much more complicated."

Reactions: Escarabajo

TRENDING THREADS