• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nans is not the next Lance, but he has won stages in both the Giro and the Tour de France - The Nans Peters Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I agree with both sides. I'm actually sometimes a bit disturbed as well by people pronouncing names "wrongly". Regarding athletes for instance Sabine Lisicki, insisting it's "-ikki", or Christian Pulisic when playing in Germany, insisting it's Pjulisik. But yeah, in the end, if that's what they identify with, who am I to tell them what their name is.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
I agree with both sides. I'm actually sometimes a bit disturbed as well by people pronouncing names "wrongly". Regarding athletes for instance Sabine Lisicki, insisting it's "-ikki", or Christian Pulisic when playing in Germany, insisting it's Pjulisik. But yeah, in the end, if that's what they identify with, who am I to tell them what their name is.

Of course you Germans get it wrong sometimes, when you don't even know what öl is ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Fine. Then you can all now pronounce my name as "your eminence master funkydoodle".

Well, your argument; that your name is French, so you pronounce in the French way, doesn't really hold water either; lots of Belgians have French names, so it's not a question of moving to a country with a completely different language.
What if in a few generations from now your descendants - if you have any - eventually change the pronunciation to a more Dutch sounding one? Would you consider that wrong?

Well, your argument; that your name is French, so you pronounce in the French way, doesn't really hold water either; lots of Belgians have French names, so it's not a question of moving to a country with a completely different language.
What if in a few generations from now your descendants - if you have any - eventually change the pronunciation to a more Dutch sounding one? Would you consider that wrong?
I'm not a native French speaker, so your point is moot.
Yes i would consider that wrong.

I'm not a native French speaker, so your point is moot.
Yes i would consider that wrong.

But it would be quite logical for it to happen.
Just like it was logical for Nans' family to change the pronunciation of their name to a more French sounding one.
My surname is as Danish as it gets, but if I were to meet an English-speaking person with that surname, and said person pronounced their name in a more English-sounding way, I wouldn't tell that person they were wrong.

Last edited:
  • Haha
So after discussing his name extensively, what do we know and think about Nans the rider? And what do you expect from him in the future? More stages to come? After all he won't have to work for Bardet or Latour anymore - he should be rather free next season?

It'll be interesting to see if he gets to play a more prominent role in the team now. But I hope he'll just continue as a team player and a stage hunter. And as RHD says, he deserves the treble. I can also se him go for the polka dot jersey in the Tour. This year he would have had a better chance of winning it than Cosnefroy.

AG2R got a lot of fairly young prospects for the classics and some GT stage hunters and GC hopefuls, but he has really outshone a few of them already, despite him not being the among the biggest talents on paper. He's older than CC, APP, O'Connor, Hänninen and Cosnefroy, but unlike Calmejane he seems to be steadily improving.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS