• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 131 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
As to weather, every indication is that fans (which means Denver) is going to get lucky. Meaning, it's going to be warmer than normal with above freezing temps, no precipitation come game time, and light winds 5-10mph.

Great news. The 10-days-into-the-future-forecast seem to get reality. :)

Alpe d'Huez said:
Denver's wins have been building a lead with finesse play, timing passes and such, then cruising along and not blowing it. I can't recall the last time Manning, or Denver for that matter, won a tight game late.

Same was said back in 99 about the Rams. The OLers got furious about that. I always understood them. Being on high-art, high-end football magic doesn´t mean they can´t play the brute game. Those teams can do it both.

Like with Warner. It was held against him (absurd) that he had too less comebacks back in 99. I mean you can´t ask teams to intentionally play it slow just to show your "clutchiness" late. If you can perform in the 1st minute, you can in the 59th. Warner showed that later too. And we all know Manning can win close games. He did many times.
The greatest teams ever built early leads, sit on them, and more often than not just demolished opponents. No need for comebacks...

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Just have a look at Sherman. Is he the best CB? Really?

Have searched a little in the web.

Without his (perfectly coached) holding, he isn´t the best.

I would think that every DB tries to get away with as much holding as they can.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
His 40yd dash was so so (speed, one of the top priorities for CBs): No less than 28 DBs (!) had faster times than him at the combine.

I think you place way too much emphasis in the 40 yard dash, a CB is required to do a lot more than just run fast in a straight line.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
So where comes the praise for him from? Only talent?

He recently made the 2013 AP NFL All Pro team as first team CB
(he did it in 2012 as well), I think that counts for something.

(I am not sure where the 28 DBs that beat him in the 40 yard dash at the combine are in that list).

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
leftover pie said:
I would think that every DB tries to get away with as much holding as they can.

Be sure all other 31 teams will catch up this off-season. This is a copycat league. And if holding/PI on every play in a simple defensive scheme with good but not great CBs have better payoffs than complex zone defenses, we´ll see all teams apply this SEA "tactic" next year, or the NFL reacts (too late, as always). Any way, the window of opportunity for the Seahawks is now or never.
Remember 2003? Old Beli-Cheat used his tricks against PM (holding, again, what else)... Next year holding was called stricter, thus leading to an offensive explosion.

leftover pie said:
I think you place way too much emphasis in the 40 yard dash, a CB is required to do a lot more than just run fast in a straight line.

You are right (that´s why I said speed is one of the priorities). But I think you would agree that a so-called "shut down" corner would possess closing speed, right?

leftover pie said:
He recently made the 2013 AP NFL All Pro team as first team CB
(he did it in 2012 as well), I think that counts for something.

Sure, yes. OTOH, those teams are selected by writers, correct?
His numbers are great, so he must be the best...
Even coaches can´t always subtract player talent from team performance. Back in the day when pro bowl rosters were selected by coaches, the going for OLers was basically "name, reputation, past achievements". But seldom actual performance. Not that the selecting process is better now. Far from it. But that´s another story...

leftover pie said:
(I am not sure where the 28 DBs that beat him in the 40 yard dash at the combine are in that list).

I am not sure either. But certainly some ended up in the NFL. And with proper "coaching" (speak perfectiong the hold-but-don´t-get-caught technique) a la weasel Carroll, the old NCAA rule violator, any of those DBs could be a all-pro now if picked up by SEA.
Anyway, the ghost soon will fade back into obscurity, either b/c other teams catch up or the NFL does something. Just hope SEA don´t get handed a SB before that happens, like NE did get three times...

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
You are right (that´s why I said speed is one of the priorities). But I think you would agree that a so-called "shut down" corner would possess closing speed, right?

You mentioned the 40 yard dash time and him being slower than 28 other DBs like it really meant something though, If I recall correctly you used "!", to really emphasise it.

The 40 yard dash time isn't necessarily indicative of good or bad closing speed.

But anyway, despite being slower than everyone else he managed to get picked for an all pro team.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Sure, yes. OTOH, those teams are selected by writers, correct?
His numbers are great, so he must be the best...
Even coaches can´t always subtract player talent from team performance. Back in the day when pro bowl rosters were selected by coaches, the going for OLers was basically "name, reputation, past achievements". But seldom actual performance. Not that the selecting process is better now. Far from it. But that´s another story...

True, often with all pro teams and alike the final choices can be clouded by reputations, favouritism and a few stand out performances (we get that here in the AFL), however you don't get near the top of a list like that by accident.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
I am not sure either. But certainly some ended up in the NFL. And with proper "coaching" (speak perfectiong the hold-but-don´t-get-caught technique) a la weasel Carroll, the old NCAA rule violator, any of those DBs could be a all-pro now if picked up by SEA.
Anyway, the ghost soon will fade back into obscurity, either b/c other teams catch up or the NFL does something. Just hope SEA don´t get handed a SB before that happens, like NE did get three times...

I guess we can only wait and see what unfolds over the next few years.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
It plays a big part.... Add in the doping issues. I even lost of record of how many Seahawks got caught in doping violations. Sherman (using the "accident" excuse of cyclists. I´d laugh if it isn´t sad), Browner, and there was a 3rd & 4th, right? Save to assume they have a team wide program like it was in pro cycling. Just have a look at Sherman. Is he the best CB? Really? Have searched a little in the web. Without his (perfectly coached) holding, he isn´t the best. His 40yd dash was so so (speed, one of the top priorities for CBs): No less than 28 DBs (!) had faster times than him at the combine. Only 19 were slower. So where comes the praise for him from? Only talent?

I´d take a greedy PM 1.000 times over a poser and big mouth like Sherman... The fish always stinks from the head. It seems Carroll takes the LA approach. Everything goes, winning at all costs.

You know I am not naive. Everybody uses little dirty tricks in the NFL. Too much money on the table. But like in cycling, there are the good, the bad, and the ugly. After all I read about the Seahawks in recent weeks they certainly belong in the last group. I don´t like them... They play like they are. Nothing beautiful to be seen.

My 50 cents. Just had to release my growing anger about them. On early monday morning (german time) I hope everything will be fine, I´ll have cooled down, and the deserving team, the Broncos that is, will have won...

I guess you're a fan of any opponent of Seattle? This is one of the least objective comments I've seen about sports.
You're going to have a problem on Sunday, I'll guess.

Sherman says some things he shouldn't, and often sounds to me like he is very insecure. But he is highly intelligent and articulate, and has the capacity to admit mistakes and apologize. I'd say there are far worse characters in the league, like Richie Incognito.

Not going to comment on how much more holding Sherman does than other DBs. But Foxxy, don’t forget that he is unusually tall for a CB, 6’3”, I think. Remember, Bolt is the exception—generally, taller men don’t make good sprinters. But at his position, his height helps compensate for lack of all-world speed. The typical DB is significantly shorter than the WRs, not to mention TEs, that he’s guarding (again, I’d say that’s because speed and quickness are inversely correlated with height), so he has to be right on top of one to make a play. Sherman can use his height to advantage when he’s not right with the receiver, as he did tipping that pass vs. Crabtree.

For me, the kind of ultra-physical play SE is known for is not the same as, say, doping, or stealing another team’s signals, because it’s right out there on the field, for everyone to see. It’s up to the officials to call it. Athletes always try to push the envelope, it’s up to the sport to determine when they overdo it. If what Sherman is doing is within the rules as they are presently interpreted, can’t blame him for doing it. If it isn’t, then the officials should be blamed.

OTOH, I agree with you somewhat about Carroll. I do like the guy in some respects. I think he’s really good at relating to his players, and getting the best performance out of them. He seems the antithesis of the old-school dictator coach, and very much open to thinking outside of the box. Who would have predicted that Russell Wilson would become a starter, let alone such a successful one? With his New Agey views, Carroll kind of reminds me of another coach who was very successful in SoCal, Phil Jackson.

But there have been a disturbing number of positives on that team (and we Clinicians all know that for every positive there are many more who get away with it). And then there is USC, where he’s now getting the benefit of revisionist history:

How times and perceptions change. Carroll already has assured himself a spot in at least the College Football Hall of Fame, if not the pro football version. The penalties that some blamed on him have largely been criticized as an overreach by the NCAA.

Some writers have criticized them as an overreach. But then, you can find some sportswriters who will criticize anything (cold weather SBs; eliminating extra points; a player with no connection to PEDs except the era he played in being in the HOF). You can argue that the NCAA rules are ridiculous, but they are rules that coaches supposedly agree to follow. Maybe the penalties were too harsh, but that shouldn’t obscure that rules were broken, and Carroll conveniently left USC before the storm broke, leaving his successors to deal with a handicapped program. Whatever the reasons Carroll had for leaving then, it doesn’t look good when you get out just in time to avoid the storm that began while you are in charge.

The Heisman took back Bush's trophy. The BCS took away a championship. But Carroll can take his accomplishments to this grave. Nowhere in the NCAA record is he blamed. His name does not appear in the public report.

So the HC has no responsibility for what happens under his watch? And how can he take his accomplishments to his grave if they aren’t officially recognized?

The man who built the foundation is destined to go down as one of the greatest coaches ever. It's just a question to what degree.

His only peers in the college/Super Bowl championship category are Barry Switzer and Jimmy Johnson. Those back-to-back national championships (2003-04) were the first at USC since 1978-79.

Switzer and Johnson are the only coaches to win both a national championship and a SB. Carroll supposedly would be the third. But officially, he never won the national championship. The 2004 title was vacated by the sanctions. USC finished no. 1 in some polls in 2003, but did not play in the game that officially determines the champion. And that talent-loaded team blew the championship in 2005 against Vince Young and Texas.

"Coach is probably one of the most conscientious, cleanest coaches I've ever worked for," [OL coach Pat] Ruel said

I imagine a lot of Bellichick's assistants or former assistants would say the same (not Mangini, though).

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
The greatest teams ever built early leads, sit on them, and more often than not just demolished opponents. No need for comebacks...

The 49ers of the ‘80s were often criticized as a finesse team. Which is kind of funny, because Ronnie Lott and co. were some of the hardest hitters in the game.

I agree with you that if you win, the way you do it shouldn't matter. You can argue, I guess, that if a team is used to having it's way in that manner, it may be less able to deal with being behind late in the game. But really, whatever it is that allows a team to build a big lead is still there if the game is close.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
...Just have a look at Sherman. Is he the best CB? Really? Have searched a little in the web. Without his (perfectly coached) holding, he isn´t the best. His 40yd dash was so so (speed, one of the top priorities for CBs): No less than 28 DBs (!) had faster times than him at the combine. Only 19 were slower. So where comes the praise for him from? Only talent?...

That whole post belongs in the clinic. But I'll just focus on this one part. First of all, your whole basis for claiming he is not the most athletic CB is really, really outdated. The combine? C'mon, that was nearly 4 years ago. You should have done more research, because without much trouble you would have found that 4 years ago his 40-low time was 4.48, which tells me back then he had the potential. How do you know what his 40-time is today? You don't. I can tell you first hand if guys put in the work they can drop as much as 0.1 off a 40-time in less than a year. Some of that may be manufactured gain, by learning how to run better, and some or all is athletic gain. Then there's his 4-year old 20-shuttle time of 4.33. Not the best compared to someone like Tyrann Mathieu, who had a 4.14 20-shuttle (a measure of how fast a guy gets in and out of directional change). Now, 4.1 shuttle is smoking, but not far off from 4.33. A little hard work and dedication can reduce that deficit in a year's worth of effort. Possible, you bet. Secondly, there's game speed vs 40-speed. Some guys, even with slower 40-times, just play faster. If Sherman has not improved his times in the last 4 years he sure plays like it. I let his play on field do the talking there.

So, I am not saying you are wrong. I'm just saying there is a whole lot more you have not considered. But until someone on the field proves otherwise, I'll say he's the best CB in the league right now.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
And just exactly how many interviews or clips of him have you seen before making this judgement?

TBH, none before the Seahawks came to the spotlight.

leftover pie said:
You mentioned the 40 yard dash time and him being slower than 28 other DBs like it really meant something though, If I recall correctly you used "!", to really emphasise it.

The 40 yard dash time isn't necessarily indicative of good or bad closing speed.

But then what is indicative of closing speed if not being super fast?

Oldman said:
I guess you're a fan of any opponent of Seattle? This is one of the least objective comments I've seen about sports.
You're going to have a problem on Sunday, I'll guess.

I am certainly biased in the case with the Seahawks... The same as guys who say the Seahawks field the clearly better team. Thus OTOH making your post biased from the view of a Seattle fan (I´ve no problem with that. Tastes differ). My post certainly wasn´t the least objective for all sports ever.

Merckx index said:
For me, the kind of ultra-physical play SE is known for is not the same as, say, doping, or stealing another team’s signals, because it’s right out there on the field, for everyone to see. It’s up to the officials to call it. Athletes always try to push the envelope, it’s up to the sport to determine when they overdo it. If what Sherman is doing is within the rules as they are presently interpreted, can’t blame him for doing it. If it isn’t, then the officials should be blamed.

Therein lays the problem. The Seahawks know the refs won´t flag them every play. It leaves a sour taste if one knows a lesser talented team comes away with cheating b/c the officals simply can´t throw 30 flags.
I at least hope PM gets his superstar bonus (which I am normally strictly against it, but for sunday will favour that, to make the game a level playing field): Flag the Seahawks on obvious fouls twice or three times at the worst times possible (like one long PI in the EZ, two holding pens on 3rd-and-long). This would take almost all their advantage away of holding trou-out the game.
I love numbers, so here is an example:
PM in normal weather (it seems we will have) goes like 23/34-285. Add in the borderline-and-above SEA tactics, his numbers go like 17/30-175. Plus, we need at least one play where a SEA DB trips over his own feet (I mentioned earlier) for an easy long TD like 60 yds. Add in a 35-PI, two first downs á 5 yards for holding, the numbers add up to (unofficially) 22/34-280.
I know, it´s dreaming, but "I am sorry for you, if you can´t dream big..." :D
The worst outcome would be a SL-NE or IND-NE like game. No flags, and the Seahawks can do whatever they want.

Either way, if we like it or not, the refs will play a major part on the outcome of sundays game. It won´t be the first time if we just remember SBs XXXVI, XL, XLIII, XLVII...

Merckx index said:
But there have been a disturbing number of positives on that team (and we Clinicians all know that for every positive there are many more who get away with it).

Not only us, but ex-clinican Alpe too. ;)

Merckx index said:
You can argue that the NCAA rules are ridiculous, but they are rules that coaches supposedly agree to follow.

That is the point.

Merckx index said:
So the HC has no responsibility for what happens under his watch?

That´s the same story we always get feed. No matter if politics, business, cycling or football. It seems it works, otherwise this tactic wouldn´t be used anymore. People just don´t learn from the past...

Merckx index said:
I imagine a lot of Bellichick's assistants or former assistants would say the same (not Mangini, though).

Of course. The same as in cycling. Rider xyz says he never saw something going on, the accused is the best person of the world with such a high integrity I would lay my life in his hands...

Merckx index said:
But really, whatever it is that allows a team to build a big lead is still there if the game is close.

That is poetry, and true of course.

on3m@n@rmy said:
How do you know what his 40-time is today? You don't. I can tell you first hand if guys put in the work they can drop as much as 0.1 off a 40-time in less than a year. Some of that may be manufactured gain, by learning how to run better, and some or all is athletic gain.

Old coach said you can´t train speed. Either you have it or don´t. Just look back pre hi-tech doping. Once sprinters reached their 20s, no more improvement in 100 meters time. Even Carl Lewis couldn´t run faster than his usual 9.99 until he was wearing his braces at age 30... :rolleyes:

Honestly, don´t buy this stories of better training, new technique and what else. It´s all doping.

on3m@n@rmy said:
So, I am not saying you are wrong. I'm just saying there is a whole lot more you have not considered. But until someone on the field proves otherwise, I'll say he's the best CB in the league right now.

That is certainly true. And I give you the point that he might be the best CB now, or the 2nd best. Anyway that would be splitting hairs.
But what I would like to see is what happens with him on another (lesser) team who play more by the rules? You know it happened before. Big FA contract and then bust (see Haynesworth, Archuleta, Larry Brown for example).

Alpe d'Huez said:
And just exactly how many interviews or clips of him have you seen before making this judgement?

Well it wasn't the only occasion. He had that spat with tom brady, I saw an interview with him when he went full insults with the presenter (who is a jerk but still Sherman took it far). I remember when he was micked up for the Vikings game he was really taking the ****. Screaming at the guy "you're a waste of my time" even once neglecting to chase him opting instead to stand jn place and then do a massive overexagerated yawn sign. I get that many nfl players do that (taunt, though really not that far) he's not the only one but the price you pay for being a jerk and showing it off all the time is that people think you're a jerk.

He also seems to carry his superior education wrong imo. I've seen him boast about it a lot, not always explicitly (though he told the presenter for example - I'm better than you, I went to Stanford) but sometimes subtlely. He claims to use very long words when talking to wr's which he knows they won't know, as a way of showing them he is smarter. But I mean come on, most of these guys come from nohope Alabama, Mississippi, etc, small towns with 0 education. And I know he's from Compton but this isn't 1986 it isn't that bad now and far more room for social mobility exists in intercity neighbourhoods.

I get that others behave that way but the way I see it the price for behaving that way is some people won't like you. So do it or don't, but know that price is there.

He seems like a nice guy outside of when his adrenaline is pumped to the max but often a bit if a jerk. Still I think Golden Tate is worse.

NFL.com and Bleacher Report have some good updated articles.

Here's a very good X's and O's article from Bleacher Report on what to look for in the game.

Here are their expert picks. Some of them are pretty amusing.

For those who like stats, Bleacher Report has several for you, bordering on the absurd (no final score, for example).

Marshawn Lynch, the NFL's version of JD Salinger, showed up on media day "to avoid the fines", gave a lot of one word answers to questions, and left early. NFL writer Michael Shottney didn't like it one bit. But Deion Sanders did get him to talk for real once they were both outside the doors. Lynch's mom says he's always been that way. Even as a kid he was very quiet. Wonder who taught him out to cuss?!

Jack DelRio said yesterday that the rule book has changed, and going for it on 4th down is a way of football. (Maybe he's been reading this thread?!)

Finally, weather looks to be surprisingly pleasant on Sunday for this part of the country. Most days in the last few weeks we've seen single digit weather, winds, snow. So to have a day near 50 degrees and calm is very surprising.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
(Maybe he's been reading this thread?!)

Finally, weather looks to be surprisingly pleasant on Sunday for this part of the country. Most days in the last few weeks we've seen single digit weather, winds, snow. So to have a day near 50 degrees and calm is very surprising.

Not only him, but the football gods too. :)

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Old coach said you can´t train speed. Either you have it or don´t. Just look back pre hi-tech doping. Once sprinters reached their 20s, no more improvement in 100 meters time. Even Carl Lewis couldn´t run faster than his usual 9.99 until he was wearing his braces at age 30... :rolleyes:

Honestly, don´t buy this stories of better training, new technique and what else. It´s all doping.

It is true an athlete must possess the athleticism to be a speedster. But you need to find a new coach who stops feeding you the BS that speed cannot be trained. We're talking about shaving hundredths of a second for a trained sprinter and up to tenths of a second for an untrained college level football player. There is a proper technique to sprinting that generates fastest times possible. Even college coaches and trainers understand that and teach their players how to sprint to be faster in the timed runs and on field. Dude, you need to get out more.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
It is true an athlete must possess the athleticism to be a speedster. But you need to find a new coach who stops feeding you the BS that speed cannot be trained. We're talking about shaving hundredths of a second for a trained sprinter and up to tenths of a second for an untrained college level football player. There is a proper technique to sprinting that generates fastest times possible. Even college coaches and trainers understand that and teach their players how to sprint to be faster in the timed runs and on field. Dude, you need to get out more.

Hey I am retired baseball player. And since coach said you can´t improve speed (in my case more zip on the fastball; which is esentially the same, speaking of (I think in english it´s called) "fast twitch" (?) muscles), I had a good excuse not to do weight lifting. ;)
Anyway I am out every day on my bike b/c of my bad back (not that I like cycling*, I hate those small hills I have to climb every day, but like it downhill when riding home, and it´s some kind of dangerous fun to ride in the snow), since it´s the only painfree activity.

Sure a untrained guy can improve with training, so does young people who are still growing. But as I learned in the 80s/early 90s it´s impossible to shove a tenth of a second in the 100 dash for fully grown athletes (BTW, I don´t believe in the Bolt miracle for a tenth of a second). Leave alone in a 40 yard one. Anyway, nowadays anything goes it seems. Even heard some college pitchers added 10 mph on their fastball trou a "good" program. Still sounds like a myth to me...

* I love to watch cycling and talk about it from a good climate at home. :D

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

Good article about PM & the DEN offense
http://grantland.com/features/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-offense/

As I said, I´ll watch carefully the OL of DEN, and how the DBs of SEA behave (especially in replays, since we don´t see the entire field in live coverage). When SEA has the ball, I think i´ll have some interaction with my beers (just kidding), and I guess in the 2nd half I´ll only be able to watch the ball in flight. ;)

Alpe d'Huez said:
Here are their expert picks. Some of them are pretty amusing.

I like this thing with "bold prediction". We should do the same.
My pick everybody knows. My bold prediction: While pressuring a DEN receiver at the line, a DB trips, thus allowing a 60 yard TD pass by PM.
MVP: Some guy from the DEN front seven which holds Lynch to 60 yards rushing.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
But then what is indicative of closing speed if not being super fast?

a 40 yard dash time does not directly translate to closing speed, so while there might have been 28 guys who were able to run a faster time in a straight line with no pads from a crouched stance starting when they want, it doesn't mean they automatically have better closing speed than sherman.

some things you can't measure with drills, players react differently when the ball is in the air and it's a game situation.

and besides just speed, there's a multitude of other reasons a good cornerback is a good cornerback, it doesn't just come down raw speed.

which is why this week everyone is talking about sherman and not those 28 other players.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
leftover pie said:
and besides just speed, there's a multitude of other reasons a good cornerback is a good cornerback, it doesn't just come down raw speed.

Accepted that already. I was just talking of "shut down" corner. In my POV some rule bending helps to be one in SEA. But that doesn´t take away that he is a pretty good CB.

Great in-depth superbowl preview. Really recommend this for all you guys game preperation.
http://grantland.com/features/the-official-super-bowl-preview/
And this guy is really objective (he is a Manning supporter, actually proves that superior offenses have an advantage over superior defenses, but still picks SEA by 27-16). AFIK this is the first preview that mentions OLers by names... Especially liked the part where he talks of crucial redzone performance on sunday. As I can take from his pick he suspects DEN will fail in there. We will see...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Well that's the problem. Baseball players don't run! :D
Sorry bro', I couldn't resist that one. :)

That´s why i choose it. :D
There was also a reason why i was goalkeeper in handball and soccer. I really don´t like running. If you like to imagine me, I can best describe it with an excerpt from the McMahon book. In his first camp they had to run something like a half mile. He wrote he finished it in 8 minutes AFIR. After that they did skip the whole event for future camps. True or not, I like those stories of beer drinking non-running "gamer" BigMc. If I had his talent, I would have been the 2nd coming of him.
Just reminds me of a game I played catcher since our guy was injured. I really wasn´t used to that glove. I took me just one inning to break my thumb. I played one more inning before my thumb was too big to fit in the glove. That´s when i went to the clinic. I´d have played on if that ****ing glove was still fitting...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
That´s why i choose it. :D
There was also a reason why i was goalkeeper in handball and soccer. I really don´t like running. If you like to imagine me, I can best describe it with an excerpt from the McMahon book. In his first camp they had to run something like a half mile. He wrote he finished it in 8 minutes AFIR. After that they did skip the whole event for future camps. True or not, I like those stories of beer drinking non-running "gamer" BigMc. If I had his talent, I would have been the 2nd coming of him.
Just reminds me of a game I played catcher since our guy was injured. I really wasn´t used to that glove. I took me just one inning to break my thumb. I played one more inning before my thumb was too big to fit in the glove. That´s when i went to the clinic. I´d have played on if that ****ing glove was still fitting...

A goalie!? Hatred of players with passion and style?
Explains alot.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Great in-depth superbowl preview. Really recommend this for all you guys game preperation.
http://grantland.com/features/the-official-super-bowl-preview/
And this guy is really objective (he is a Manning supporter, actually proves that superior offenses have an advantage over superior defenses, but still picks SEA by 27-16)....

Very good article. I didn't read every word (it's long!), but read most of it. He really goes into a lot of detail, as much as anyone could I imagine. A few things stood out:

He mentions what I did, about Denver being good at holding leads. That is, jumping out to a 10 point lead, which seems like more than two TD's, and the other team is forced to play their game to catch-up. As I said before, if this happens to Seattle, and Denver is ahead by double digits in the 2nd half, I don't see Seattle winning without some lucky bounces or turnovers.

He also subtly asks a question I wonder what people's response is: If Seattle is down in the 4th quarter by more than 8 points, do you think Russell Wilson can lead the Seahawks to victory?

His analysis on the red zone, and how Seattle is very good in a short field was telling, but couple that with what DelRio said the other day, and I'm really curious to see if Denver has, say a 4th and 1 from the 5 yard line, that they actually go for it? What if it's 4th and goal from the 4? That could be the game right there. Can Denver make use of their downs in the red zone to score TD's with any consistency?

He writes about anyone having a hard time throwing inside against Seattle's defense, and Denver likely having the same problems. Even if it's their specialty. This means Denver may have to air it out more deep, or throw timing patterns to the sidelines (which Manning will do). But I heard someone on the radio today who plays for the Giants say that unless there is dead calm, the winds will shift and swirl inside the stadium (just as Merckx noted) and that deep passes and wide out throws will be challenging for Manning.

Now watch, all this analysis, and there will be a muffed punt or blocked kick that determines the game. ;)

I think Denver is going to win it. I believe offense>defense, and the Denver defense doesn't seem too shabby either, while the Seattle offense is, is an offense...

This will be the first superbowl I will be watching, so I'm sorry if I offend anyone with my ignorance.:eek:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
His analysis on the red zone, and how Seattle is very good in a short field was telling, but couple that with what DelRio said the other day, and I'm really curious to see if Denver has, say a 4th and 1 from the 5 yard line, that they actually go for it? What if it's 4th and goal from the 4? That could be the game right there. Can Denver make use of their downs in the red zone to score TD's with any consistency?

I hope they´d follow their words with action. But TBH, I think Fox will send the kicker in, as he always does. I think Barnwell made a good point with his red zone analysis

Alpe d'Huez said:
He writes about anyone having a hard time throwing inside against Seattle's defense, and Denver likely having the same problems. Even if it's their specialty. This means Denver may have to air it out more deep...

You bet. Throwing underneath trou-out the game is a receipt for failure vs SEA. Circa 15 teams tried. OTOH there is a problem with going deep, other than winds (will come to that in a few seconds)...

Alpe d'Huez said:
Now watch, all this analysis, and there will be a muffed punt or blocked kick that determines the game. ;)

Yeah. Certainly everything is said and done. And then everything comes different. So let me hurry up and write about it, so that it doesn´t happen: ;)
Everybody is eager for the DEN-O vs SEA-D showdown, and how SEA grinds it out. Imagine, Wilson comes out throwing and connects on many of his deep play action passes (remember, he led the league when I posted the PA-and-deep-passing link), finishing with 400 passing yards. Would be a stunner.

Here is another good link, off PFF:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/30/analysis-notebook-sbxlviii-where-denver-attacks/
"Teams have completed just two passes deep against Seattle’s corners in press alignment this season – 2 of 24 attempts – for one touchdown and 58 yards against five interceptions." That has to change. No doubt about it. This low Cmp.-Pct. is shockingly enough, but I am more surprised that SEA caught more balls than the opposing receivers on a 50/50 chance. If PM can´t connect deep once in a while, DEN is doomed. Dink-and-dunk just ain´t enough...

ToreBear said:
I think Denver is going to win it. I believe offense>defense, and the Denver defense doesn't seem too shabby either, while the Seattle offense is, is an offense...

This will be the first superbowl I will be watching, so I'm sorry if I offend anyone with my ignorance.:eek:

The first SB is always the best. It´s a great expierience. I guess everybody remembers his first. Same like with first sex and love. Enjoy the party. Are they showing it in free TV in Norway or only on pay TV?