• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 117 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
Quickly for tonight, I will of course go with DEN.

Yes, since I'm not depressed enough about my soccer team, I've got this wretched Shanny/RG3 business to depress me even further. Thanks for the updates, I have been following on Bleacher and ESPN and know what's been said is going on. A large number of fans would be delighted to see a new coach, certainly for next season. And he can take Kyle with him too. Griffin should have been benched weeks ago, bu there's far more wrong than just his play. The OL is awful, ST sucks big time. I won't be picking the Skins again, even against Atlanta.

Bad choice. Who knew?

That was some game. The Chargers look like a team you wouldn't want to play, and are headed on the up. Denver looked like a one-and-done type team. It says something that they couldn't move the ball with any consistency. None the less, they have a soft schedule with Houston and Oakland, and should still get HFA. Except...

This actually puts New England in the driver's seat for HFA in the playoffs. IF they can win out. Tough games against Miami and Baltimore will test them. I don't know what history says, if winning tough games at the end of the season is better than winning easy games.

Amsterhammer said:
A large number of fans would be delighted to see a new coach, certainly for next season. And he can take Kyle with him too.

ESPN reports Kyle Shanny was not for benching RG3 like this. What does that mean? Well, the team's a mess! I'm still 99% sure Shanahan is fired on Black Money.

Jake Plummer was on FOX Sports the other day, and while he was polite, he said a few things about Shanahan that were telling. Especially the way Plummer's career ended. He said that Shanahan was a super perfectionist, so much to the point that even when Jake would have a great game, he dreaded going into the game films, because Shanahan would pick it apart anyway, insisting it took perfection to win in this league (guess he never saw a NY Giants playoff run?!). He also said that some of Shanahan's plays were so complicated that there was just too much to keep track of in the line of fire. This goes against a lot of conventional wisdom from coaches past who stuck with variants of what the team did best (remember the Redskins Counter Trey?). I bring this up because the same thing is probably happening to RG3.

I also question the Redskins ploy of shopping Cousins like this, because it's so obvious. You want a guy to play well in key situations. Saying he's your starter for three games, then you'll go back to your franchise guy next year makes little sense. Though if he plays well, I can see a team trading away a lower 1st round or 2nd round pick to have him, the whole thing is just strange and flies in the face of the purpose of the game: to win.

Agree with all that. And if it comes down to NE and Denver in a cold outside game, Brady has the proven performance in bad weather.

Thanks for the info on the Skins situation. This really interests me because it is such a d@mn shame to see a player like RG3 evolve like this. There are a lot of things involved, including the injury and what I'd call a too-early return, but I think things would be different in another team (with an OL for starters). For Cousins, this is just a chance for him to make the most of the opportunity by forgetting the circumstances and giving it his best effort.

John Madden was calling out Washington yesterday, saying he has never seen a team operate like this, and he was very critical of the way RG3 was being tossed around.

Boomer Esiason said today that he believes it's as much Daniel Snyder's fault as Shanahan, in that RG3 has Snyder's ear. His sources say some of the coaching staff wanted to sit RG3 for about the first month of the season - especially as Cousins had played well in the pre-season (as did Grossman). But because RG3 was cleared to play medically, and itching to play, Snyder pressured Shanahan to start him from week one.

This is all well and good as far as excuses go, but at some point Shanahan has to be the same obstinate boss to Snyder as he is to his players and say, "We do that Mr. Snyder, and we're going to start the season 3-10...and you may end up doing it with another coach". But Shanahan is also probably thinking with his wallet, as he's owed $7m next season, so he's not going to go easily.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Tough games against Miami and Baltimore will test them. I don't know what history says, if winning tough games at the end of the season is better than winning easy games.

I wouldn´t do a study on this b/c it´s not really on my priority list, but may Brian would do if you kindly ask him...

So w/o any studies, I guess it doesn´t matter at all. I truly think there is no existing pattern in the long run, as there is no momentum changes or "clutch" performance for example.

Anyway, I still think DEN will have HFA. I think the NE offense will be off better than the 1st time w/o Gronk this year, but no way as effective as w/him the past couple of weeks... Good i picked MIA. :)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
So, Foxxy. You like Minn (without Peterson) over Philly? Detroit over Baltimore? Oakland over KC? Miami over NE? Tenn over Arizona? Pitt over Cincy?

I don´t like this weeks HFA too much, but it´s easier than to do well thought picks. :D

on3m@n@rmy said:
Foxxyyyyyyyyy, your picks of all hommes this week is busted. No way the following hommes win:
[edit: ok.... Foxxy I saw after posting you actually got SEA, SF, and NO right. But that's it]
SEA @ NYG
SF @ TB
NO @ STL
KC @ OAK
ARI @ TEN
CIN @ PIT

Wait and see... :)

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
John Madden was calling out Washington yesterday, saying he has never seen a team operate like this, and he was very critical of the way RG3 was being tossed around.

Boomer Esiason said today that he believes it's as much Daniel Snyder's fault as Shanahan, in that RG3 has Snyder's ear. His sources say some of the coaching staff wanted to sit RG3 for about the first month of the season - especially as Cousins had played well in the pre-season (as did Grossman). But because RG3 was cleared to play medically, and itching to play, Snyder pressured Shanahan to start him from week one.

This is all well and good as far as excuses go, but at some point Shanahan has to be the same obstinate boss to Snyder as he is to his players and say, "We do that Mr. Snyder, and we're going to start the season 3-10...and you may end up doing it with another coach". But Shanahan is also probably thinking with his wallet, as he's owed $7m next season, so he's not going to go easily.

The way RGIII is pimped out on commercials he has to be in games.

If the NFL season ended now, here is what the playoffs would look like:

AFC

Denver has the top seed, HFA and a bye.
NE holds the edge though if they can in out.

Cincinnati would host Baltimore one WC.
Indianapolis would host Kansas City in the other.

Miami and San Diego are right behind them. Both the Jets and Titans have way outside chances.

NFC

Seattle is the top seed.
New Orleans just behind them.

The 49ers would play the Eagles in one WC.
The Panthers would go to Detroit.

The North and East divisions are up for grabs, with Dallas and Chicago in the best position. The WC spots Are set. And here is something I don't like about the NFL. Both SF and Carolina will end up with better records than the teams they will travel to. If I were commissioner, I would change that and base it on wins. With only 4 teams per division, winning you division shouldn't get you a home me alone. But I almost like the road teams in the AFC as well.

Out of all the teams left, the Broncos have the easiest schedule. The Ravens or Patriots the hardest. The Saints-Panthers game next week will be a real test.

Considering both Seattle and NO are impossible to beat at home, the NFC could ave a rather predictable playoff run.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Considering both Seattle and NO are impossible to beat at home, the NFC could ave a rather predictable playoff run.

Nothing is predictable in the NFL playoffs nowadays, but that i´ll get great odds when betting against them (favs). :D

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The little siz is just annoying, b/c it shows that nepotism even works with players, not only coaches in the NFL.
Without big bro, this guy was a 6th rounder at best, and out of business after max 2 years. No way teams would have drafted such an at best average arm in a boys body, a little bit pimped in the neck area (HGH i guess) in the 1st round*. The most overrated QB since... ???
And the pipo in NY still think he´s a winner/good QB, the reason for the SB wins. Yet everybody (at least in this forum) knows that incredible luck (and other influences outside of QB play) carried those average teams to the titles.
Great game tonight BTW: 42 pass yards and three Ints... zero points

* reminds me only of the german Ralf Schumacher who got a F1 job b/c big bro won multiple championships.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The oh so great QB ranks 19 of 36 in passer rating since his first season between all true starting QBs of this era. And he leads in Ints by far (which is no surprise), todays abysmall performance not even included...

http://www.pro-football-reference.c...pos_is_db=Y&draft_pos_is_k=Y&draft_pos_is_p=Y

Alpe you now have something to show the NY Manning lovers... ;)

Don´t forget to mention he has the 2nd most starts between those QBs, thus he should show some consistency and experience to play good ball. In short: Rating doesn´t say the whole story, he is even worse...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
LOL at GB... They try to break their own Thanksgiving record. Already minus 200 yards difference to DAL at halftime, a team that was outgained themselves on record breaking pace vs NO earlier this year.

As I said on thanksgiving night; what we have here is a team comletely giving up to play. Disgusting, even worse than HOU or ATL. They at least try...

5 picks by Eli. Five!!! I can't wait to hear the NY apologists try to grasp this one. Sure, he's just one guy, but that was one of the worst individual performances in memory. Dont forget he also signed a $100m contract.

Huge props to Seattle who looked unstoppable.

Great picking there Foxxy, those home teams really making you smart!

Matt Flynn coming to life for Green Bay in 2nd half.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
That is something only the Cowboys can muster: A complete meltdown in the 2nd half. In December, as usual.

I guess McCartney talked about pride to his players at halftime...

Romo at his very best! What's amazing is after the Packers showed they could not stop the run, the Cowboys gave up running anyway, and relied on Romo and his history. [EDIT: Jason Garrett threw Romo under the bus today, saying the team discussed running the ball the last series, and low-risk passes. Only to have Romo audible on that last play and throw the int.]

Have to give props to Flynn and the Pack though. They came to life after the half. Flynn really seems to be at home in GB. Hopefully he'll be smart enough to not leave again.

Another home team wins, in that Cincy, right on the cusp of looking like a real contender, loses to the Steelers. So, the Chiefs, Patriots and Bengals, all who looked to put their stamp on AFC supremacy, all lost.

Baltimore and Detroit could be interesting tonight. Both teams need to win.

More fun with Eli today. Did you know that while he's not the highest paid player in the NFL, because of the way his contract is structured, his pay counts as $16m against the cap. He is also set to earn $20.4 million and $19.75 million (adjusted for cap) respectively the next two seasons. The next couple years should be interesting. Link 1. Link 2.

So, what is he worth? Try the ESPN Salary Calculator! Loads of fun! Turns out, every time Eli completes a single pass for about 9 yards, he's earned as much money as I make in an entire year's salary.

Or, put in other terms, I will need to work over 300 years to make the same total earnings as he does in his current contract. And who says athletes are overpaid? I am sure I'm having way more fun than he is these days?!

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe you are overpaid ;)
I need 600+ years to match one years salary of him. But my advantage, am not addicted to cars (always ride bike, no matter the weather), nor manisons. :)

Anyway, those salaries just show how sick capitalism got. Greed without boundaries. Thanks Friedman, Reagan, Bush etc... The whole $hit came over here the past twenty years. :mad:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
This players earn 1.700 (!!!) times less* than "the siz", yet their talent level is only 1% below him (if at all)...

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...5_1_nfl-lockout-kenny-mcentyre-rayshaun-kizer

That´s what stinks about "the (in the "siz" case luckiest ever in every meaning) winner takes it all" approach that is poisoning the world since Friedmans misanthropic theories swapt 1st to south america and then to europe and all over the world.

(* = Keep that in mind when you all hear the players whining about not getting a fair share of revenues.)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Seattle should tear up this man's contract and redo it this coming offseason:
32. Russell Wilson (Seahawks) $681K
That's a lot of moola to me, but obscenely low compared to any others of similar caliber.

Obscenely low are the rents for stadiums or shares the owners have to pay for new stadiums which they almost exculsivly use for their clubs. I think we all lost sight of how decadent the whole NFL business got.
OK, everybody has a different look at politics so i better stop here, but it had to be said, since my hope is to change at least some peoples mind when they buy tickets for NFL games or are about to buy one of this 1 $ made game shirts of china.

So back to sports... Wilson is having the most efficient first two years for a rookie since Roethlisberger. But SEA should think twice before throwing him 100 Mio $. Everybody sees what happens to teams where the starting QB hit the cap with at least 10%. A fair value for Wilson (if I was the GM) is 4 Mio max. (2.3 Mio NFL average times 1.2 for QB worth times 1.5 for starters worth). Now he wouldn´t sign this, so i´d make him play out his rookie contract until inclusive 2015. Then franchise the player (he´d get 16.5 Mio then if estimating the "normal" 6.5 % salary rise each year) or offer him a back heavy contract. If franchised, at least the first 5 years his average salary would be a "normal" 3.9 Mio (2.99 Mio for the 1st four years + 16.5 for the fith). In the time being I evaluate backup QBs (speak giving enough reps to my talented clippboard holders). With that approach I have enough money left for each position and can dominate the league not only in 2013, but until at least inclusive 2016. While the siz tries to collect the all time Int record, the Seahawks would collect superbowl trophies...

Too bad am sitting here, and the real NFL GMs waste money for average QBs and wonder why they don´t win...

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
....ran into this during my recent internetz travels, thought you might find it interesting...

" The National Football League Pays No Federal Taxes

One of the most profitable organizations in America, with billions in tickets, TV rights, and merchandise sales, and with an NFL Commissioner who earned more money than the CEOs of Wal-Mart, Coca-Cola, and AT&T, is considered a non-profit. It has a tax-exempt status.

It gets even worse. While the individual teams themselves are not exempt from federal taxes, they enjoy multi-million-dollar subsidies from their states for new and refurbished stadiums. Fans - and non-fans - of the Washington Redskins, the Cincinnati Bengals, the Minnesota Vikings, the Seattle Seahawks, the San Francisco 49ers, and the Pittsburgh Steelers are among those who pay taxes for their hometown football fields. New Orleans taxpayers paid for leather stadium seats. For the Dallas Cowboys, a $6 million property tax bill was waived.

A Harvard University urban planning study determined that 70 percent of the capital cost of NFL stadiums has been provided by taxpayers, rather than by NFL owners."

Cheers

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
A fair value for Wilson (if I was the GM) is 4 Mio max. (2.3 Mio NFL average times 1.2 for QB worth times 1.5 for starters worth). Now he wouldn´t sign this, so i´d make him play out his rookie contract until inclusive 2015.

Playing out his contract or extending in his final year is what will likely happen. They will not tear up his current contract and redo it this offseason (as I said I would like to do just because I think he's the real deal, it would be fair, and compensating him enough to keep him away from MLB might be a factor). Could you imagine what all the other owners would say if they did redo his contract this offseason? Setting precedence for other players to ask the same? Not going to happen.

blutto said:
It gets even worse. While the individual teams themselves are not exempt from federal taxes, they enjoy multi-million-dollar subsidies from their states for new and refurbished stadiums.

Actually I don't mind in Seattle's case, where tax revenues come from extra hotel taxes in King County. It add an additional 10 to 20 bucks for a night's stay. And I can always book outside of King Co if I don't want to pay that extra tax, which I have done. But if I have to stay inside the county it does not bother me.

TRENDING THREADS