• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 282 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BullsFan22 said:
Eshnar said:
BullsFan22 said:
They clinched the NFC West once again (5th year in a row and 6 out of the last 7)
:confused: didn't the Cards clinch it last year?

Of course. I just read the Seahawks news on their website. I should have known that. Yes, the Cards won the division last year. So the 5th year in a row is obviously wrong, but the 6 of 7 shouldn't be.
checking on wikipedia, they won the division only 4 times out of the last 7. Maybe they mean something else by clinching? :confused: Like, going to the playoffs...
edit: yes, they mean that. 5 times in a row and 6 out of last 7

I'm 99% certain that Cousins will be franchised by Washington if they don't think they can get a long-term contract with him done fairly easily. Yes, that means they'll likely have to pay him something like $22m next season, but it buys them time as much as anything.

I can't possibly see Romo going to Arizona to replace the equally aged Palmer, who is more durable. That makes no sense to me. Houston, if they dump Osweiller (and take something like a $12m hit doing so) or bench him, could pick Romo up. The question with Osweiller is, can he be a capable game manager, or is he the next Jay Cutler, where he makes impressive plays here and there, but so many mistakes that over time having him hang on for so long proves to be one big mistake?

Seattle looked pretty good, but the Rams looked awful. Next season may be worse than this one. The Chargers can't move to LA fast enough and give the fans there something to cheer for.

Jim Harbaugh told Michigan players he's not planning on going to LA to coach the Rams next year. I too would stay put. Much easier to win in Michigan. Plus, as Jimmy Johnson once noted, the NCAA is easier overall. Yes, there is a national championship, but schools, boosters, alumni, fans, they accept other bowl wins, sometimes even just winning seasons or wins over rivals in average seasons, without winning championships fairly well. The NFL is a business where it's Super Bowl, or a ticking clock until you're gone. There's little between.

Eshnar said:
BullsFan22 said:
Eshnar said:
BullsFan22 said:
They clinched the NFC West once again (5th year in a row and 6 out of the last 7)
:confused: didn't the Cards clinch it last year?

Of course. I just read the Seahawks news on their website. I should have known that. Yes, the Cards won the division last year. So the 5th year in a row is obviously wrong, but the 6 of 7 shouldn't be.
checking on wikipedia, they won the division only 4 times out of the last 7. Maybe they mean something else by clinching? :confused: Like, going to the playoffs...
edit: yes, they mean that. 5 times in a row and 6 out of last 7
But those new Seahawk uniforms... ugh... :eek:

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I'm 99% certain that Cousins will be franchised by Washington if they don't think they can get a long-term contract with him done fairly easily. Yes, that means they'll likely have to pay him something like $22m next season, but it buys them time as much as anything.

I can't possibly see Romo going to Arizona to replace the equally aged Palmer, who is more durable. That makes no sense to me. Houston, if they dump Osweiller (and take something like a $12m hit doing so) or bench him, could pick Romo up. The question with Osweiller is, can he be a capable game manager, or is he the next Jay Cutler, where he makes impressive plays here and there, but so many mistakes that over time having him hang on for so long proves to be one big mistake?

Seattle looked pretty good, but the Rams looked awful. Next season may be worse than this one. The Chargers can't move to LA fast enough and give the fans there something to cheer for.

Jim Harbaugh told Michigan players he's not planning on going to LA to coach the Rams next year. I too would stay put. Much easier to win in Michigan. Plus, as Jimmy Johnson once noted, the NCAA is easier overall. Yes, there is a national championship, but schools, boosters, alumni, fans, they accept other bowl wins, sometimes even just winning seasons or wins over rivals in average seasons, without winning championships fairly well. The NFL is a business where it's Super Bowl, or a ticking clock until you're gone. There's little between.

Not looking forward to the Rams and 49ers next week. You can only drink so much coffee ! Seahawks uniforms hurt my eyes.

BullsFan22 said:
Good all around win for the Hawks. They clinched the NFC West once again (5th year in a row and 6 out of the last 7) and now will try to win the last two games of the regular season to try and clinch a 2nd seed behind the Cowboys. On one hand it was a good win and Wilson had a solid outing, 3 TD's, 19/26, 1 int. The defense held the Rams to a single FG and...nothing else. That's a good sign after last weeks debacle. Yes the Rams have struggled this year and they just fired Fisher, but still, something to build on. I expect them to win their remaining games and snag that 2nd seed. After that it will be fun to see them in the playoffs where I think they'll raise their game. I'd love to see a Hawks Cowboys NFC title game.
I wouldn't put it as "good all around" win. But it was a win, which is good if you are a Hawk fan. My impression of the win is more filled with negatives. Negative OL play (again). Seattle OLmen whiffed on a lot of blocks and Seattle could not establish the run. Period. SEA OL had a rough night. But it was against a very good front 7 for the Rams. Ya know, NFC West is arguably the weakest division, but it is not weak in terms of physicality. These division games are dogfights because they are tough up front. And in the Rams case, they do have playmakers who must be accounted for. But back to the OL situation. Don't know if you noticed, but in the 4TH SEA subbed out starting RT Sowell for backup Gilliam. At the time I thought, Oh, Sowell is hurt now. NOPE. Post game presser Pete Carroll said they put Gilliam in to get him some reps to keep the competition going at the RT position. REALLY? At this time of the season a team should be settled on their starting 5 on the OL (sigh). Overall, I'd grade the SEA OL play below average. They did just enough, but barely.

Then you have the Rams play. Which I grade as poor overall. They easily left 14 points on the turf on a dropped pass by rookie WR (Thomas I think), who had beaten the SEA DB by a good 2 steps. That was 7 of the points. Then later, a wide open Rams receiver in the endzone was missed by Goff. Clearly missing the broadside of the barn and 7 more ponts. If the Rams convert those, now it is a 24-17 game, and then who knows. Goff missed on numerous other opportunities as well. There were some bright spots in the Rams play, but no consistency.

One thing any new Ram coach is going to have to clean up is the stupid, classless play by certain players, mostly defenders. They often go beyond chippy, and do things to hurt the team. Last night I only noticed one major mistake, when DT Aaron Donald got called for a face mask, then THREW the flag back at the official. That resulted in a 15-yard face mask penalty PLUS another 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct for tossing the flag at the official. While kind of ticky tacky flag, hey, as players you have to know the rules and play with some composure. The new HC is going to have to insist on better discipline in that area.

Overall, the Thursday game was as Sherman said during the week. It was a "poop fest". But I say that with different meaning than him. I'm saying that cuz it was one crappy game of the week. Sherm was referring to the hypocrisy of the NFL for even playing games on Thursdays. Hypocrisy from a safety standpoint, and I agree with him the NFL league office are hypocrites. The League talks about safety, safety, safety, but they expect players who are so banged up on Mondays to go out and play still banged up on Thursdays. Bodies need the rest and there is greater risk of injury when they play still banged up from the previous Sunday game.

Another area the League shows off its hypocrisy is in an area I call entertainment. And it showed up last night when SEA DT Bennett got a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty for doing a "hip thrust" celebration after a sack. Nullifying the sack. Point is, it is OK to put cheerleaders on the sidelines for the entertainment value, but it is not OK for players to do some of the celebrations that draw flags. League hypocrites. I say let the players have some more fun than they currently allow. And that is entertainment! For example, why not allow choreographed end zone celebrations, etc?

on3m@n@rmy said:
BullsFan22 said:
Good all around win for the Hawks. They clinched the NFC West once again (5th year in a row and 6 out of the last 7) and now will try to win the last two games of the regular season to try and clinch a 2nd seed behind the Cowboys. On one hand it was a good win and Wilson had a solid outing, 3 TD's, 19/26, 1 int. The defense held the Rams to a single FG and...nothing else. That's a good sign after last weeks debacle. Yes the Rams have struggled this year and they just fired Fisher, but still, something to build on. I expect them to win their remaining games and snag that 2nd seed. After that it will be fun to see them in the playoffs where I think they'll raise their game. I'd love to see a Hawks Cowboys NFC title game.
I wouldn't put it as "good all around" win. But it was a win, which is good if you are a Hawk fan. My impression of the win is more filled with negatives. Negative OL play (again). Seattle OLmen whiffed on a lot of blocks and Seattle could not establish the run. Period. SEA OL had a rough night. But it was against a very good front 7 for the Rams. Ya know, NFC West is arguably the weakest division, but it is not weak in terms of physicality. These division games are dogfights because they are tough up front. And in the Rams case, they do have playmakers who must be accounted for. But back to the OL situation. Don't know if you noticed, but in the 4TH SEA subbed out starting RT Sowell for backup Gilliam. At the time I thought, Oh, Sowell is hurt now. NOPE. Post game presser Pete Carroll said they put Gilliam in to get him some reps to keep the competition going at the RT position. REALLY? At this time of the season a team should be settled on their starting 5 on the OL (sigh). Overall, I'd grade the SEA OL play below average. They did just enough, but barely.

Then you have the Rams play. Which I grade as poor overall. They easily left 14 points on the turf on a dropped pass by rookie WR (Thomas I think), who had beaten the SEA DB by a good 2 steps. That was 7 of the points. Then later, a wide open Rams receiver in the endzone was missed by Goff. Clearly missing the broadside of the barn and 7 more ponts. If the Rams convert those, now it is a 24-17 game, and then who knows. Goff missed on numerous other opportunities as well. There were some bright spots in the Rams play, but no consistency.

One thing any new Ram coach is going to have to clean up is the stupid, classless play by certain players, mostly defenders. They often go beyond chippy, and do things to hurt the team. Last night I only noticed one major mistake, when DT Aaron Donald got called for a face mask, then THREW the flag back at the official. That resulted in a 15-yard face mask penalty PLUS another 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct for tossing the flag at the official. While kind of ticky tacky flag, hey, as players you have to know the rules and play with some composure. The new HC is going to have to insist on better discipline in that area.

Overall, the Thursday game was as Sherman said during the week. It was a "poop fest". But I say that with different meaning than him. I'm saying that cuz it was one crappy game of the week. Sherm was referring to the hypocrisy of the NFL for even playing games on Thursdays. Hypocrisy from a safety standpoint, and I agree with him the NFL league office are hypocrites. The League talks about safety, safety, safety, but they expect players who are so banged up on Mondays to go out and play still banged up on Thursdays. Bodies need the rest and there is greater risk of injury when they play still banged up from the previous Sunday game.

Another area the League shows off its hypocrisy is in an area I call entertainment. And it showed up last night when SEA DT Bennett got a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty for doing a "hip thrust" celebration after a sack. Nullifying the sack. Point is, it is OK to put cheerleaders on the sidelines for the entertainment value, but it is not OK for players to do some of the celebrations that draw flags. League hypocrites. I say let the players have some more fun than they currently allow. And that is entertainment! For example, why not allow choreographed end zone celebrations, etc?

It seems like they are trying to say that all celebrations are unsportsmanlike or over the top which is ridiculous. It's part of sport to get inside the head of the opponent. I don't even see what's wrong with trash talk. There is a reason the Rams only have four wins and most of those were simply because of great defense but their offense is worse than the 49ers which is saying something but I think the week one blowout they suffered to the 49ers actually got their defense going but Goff still has a long way to go and Keenum was plain bad.

Compared to other body contact games like Rugby and Rugby League even Soccer the ridiculous rules about celebrations and unsportsmanlike behavior is laughable and very PC.

on3m@n@rmy said:
BullsFan22 said:

Can't argue with this semester final, especially the conclusion.

I didn't see the play, but did he thrust at the down player, in an attempt to humiliate him? If so, I can see the penalty. Otherwise, it's just stupid. Turning the NFL into prep school.

The Jets sure made the Dolphins look good last night.

Currently it's 6 degrees in Chicago, with a "real feel" of -12 with the wind. Should make a fun game.

Also to be very cold in Kansas City, who hosts the Titans. Both are vying for a hold on first place, though the Chiefs are much better. I don't count Tennesee out though, weather can be an equalizer.

I'm curious if the Bengals can keep it together enough to upend the Steelers. This is the game of the year for them at this point.

Either the Lions or Giants may look like pretenders after today. I'm curious to see if the NY Giants using of walkie-talkies against Dallas turns into a "gate".

The Raiders play at San Diego, who I'm sure would love to upend them.

The Patriots play at Denver, a rematch of last year's AFC Championship. Brady has to be motivated for this one.

Tampa plays at Dallas. Let's see if the Cowboy offense sputters again against a good defense. If they are losing, will Romo play? If they lose...?

Carolina plays at Washington. I think the Panthers are better than their record, and this could be a good game. Plus, Cam Newton's chance to throw against Josh Norman, who says he's looking forward to the challenge.

It was just Bennett's usual hoopla hoop hip motion with hands behind head. He was not looking down at the player or anything that could be construed as taunting. It was just more vivid in the Seattle green slime color rush uniforms. There was a Comedy Central skit "McCringleberry Excessive Celebrations". Here is the link. It is a different motion than Bennett's, but it is funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGJb2iLvOKE
You just have to get thru the add.

Bleacher Report reported the Saints may shop HC Sean Payton for trade in the off season. Unbelievable!

Re: Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Billie said:
Rodgers just made a throw so good he almost outthrew his hammy. Almost didn't make it 60 yards down the field to spike it to stop the clock for the FG.
Yes. Nice finish for GB. Also, nice win for TEN who have winning season going at 8-6.

Here is an article on SBNation about fired HC Jeff Fisher's character trait of not being a stand up guy. Interesting read:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbna...fired-rams-contract-extension-7-and-9-excuses
Yes; kudos for the Titans!...winning in KC in December is no easy task. They say teams that get hot in Dec & Jan can be dangerous, and the Titans are 3-0 since 11/27. Next week they play Jacksonville (should win), and then the showdown with Houston for possibly the division title.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Billie said:
Rodgers just made a throw so good he almost outthrew his hammy. Almost didn't make it 60 yards down the field to spike it to stop the clock for the FG.
Yes. Nice finish for GB. Also, nice win for TEN who have winning season going at 8-6.

Here is an article on SBNation about fired HC Jeff Fisher's character trait of not being a stand up guy. Interesting read:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbna...fired-rams-contract-extension-7-and-9-excuses

The Rams and 49ers will be one for the ages next week ! Both teams were terrible this week. Fisher has run out of excuses it seems but it was curious the timing of his extension. It seems that someone at the Rams likes him. The rumors of Harbaugh going to the Rams are probably just hot air. The Jags have lost their coach. I think it's 50/50 if Chip survives at the 49ers. Some people are predicting that if the GM goes then they will all go and the overdue roster clean out will have to happen now. It seems like it's back to square one for the 49ers.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
78256_h.jpg,qitok=NgGyq-V2.pagespeed.ce.h9O_4I9sF7.jpg

For those who didn't have the pleasure of watching the Falcons-49ers slaughter, a graphic was put up on the screen showing that in numerous categories over the last two plus years, Colin Kaepernick is the worst QB in the NFL. He says the team has all the players they need, the culture just needs to change. Yeah, sure.

After another horrible start, when Brock Osweiller was finally benched for Tom Savage, the Houston stadium erupted in cheers.

I agree on teams getting hot. Tennessee, Pittsburgh, and the NY Giants come to mind. Green Bay has won 4 in a row, but eeked out a win over Chicago. Matt Barkley was wearing a diver's wet suit under his uniform to stay warm. It seemed to work, as he threw the ball fairly well, though he did toss a few picks. I have to wonder, when is Green Bay going to put together an offensive plan similar to the Greatest Show on Turf? No one in NFL history has the ability to throw deep passes on the money like Aaron Rodgers.

While New England did a serviceable job against Denver, the game wasn't as lopsided as the score. Denver just couldn't put drives together well enough, and mistakes were costly.

NO putting up 48 points against Arizona was something.

Raiders back in first, again with a tough 4Q win.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Beech Mtn said:
I HATE dallas. But I loved that when he jumped into the kettle.
I too loved that. Seemed spontaneous.

Had no idea Texan fans were so disappointed with Osweiller. But can't blame them. Elway looking pretty smart over that non-signing.
Not really with Elway: Remember, he offered Osweiler 45 million over 3 yrs with 30 mil guaranteed vs Houston's offer of 72 million over 4 yrs with 37 mil guaranteed. Osweiler, after leading the Broncos last year to 6-1 record in Manning's absence, was benched for the playoffs when Manning was ready to return. Elway had been grooming Osweiler for the future QB job as he tutored behind Manning for 3+ yrs. The plan was to have Osweiler take the helm this year after Manning retired...similar to the Rogers situation when he sat behind Favre for 4 yrs before taking over after his retirement. I don’t think Elway would have invested 3 yrs in Osweiler learning behind the Legend to just let him go like that. And the offensive scheme under Kubiak suited Osweiler very well.

Part of the problem may have been the benching of Osweiler for the playoffs in favor of Manning. The media here had reported Osweiler wasn't too happy with the decision after leading the team to a 6-1 record and beating the Patriots in Manning's absence. I can't imagine the Denver offense being worse off this year if Osweiler had stayed with the Broncos. Bottom line with the Broncos? The offense is REAL BAD right now. Three (3) lousy points against the Patriots at home! Their defense can stop any team in the league, but their offense for the most part stinks up the joint. The ship is sinking real fast in the Mile High City...the defending Super Bowl Champs could easily miss the playoffs :(

Elway also signed Mark Sanchez for $4.5m, and was trying to trade away a 4th round pick to SF to get Kaepernick, but Colin wouldn't accept the pay cut to $14m over two years Elway was offering.

From what I've seen, Osweiller has been forcing the ball too much. But it is true, had Houston not overpaid him, Denver would have, but he probably would have done better in the Bronco system, and likely at least a little better than Simeion. But Simieon came a LOT cheaper at $500k, and Denver has been looking at some tough salary numbers, having spent a lot in FA in recent years.

The problem with "grooming" a QB like that also lies in FA, the way the CBA is written, rookies come cheap. But the NFL is a QB starved league. As such, someone who shows any promise over their first couple years of grooming, can hit a jackpot. We may see this happen with Jimmy Garapolo this coming off season. Though he may also be the next Matt Flynn, and may be no better than Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, or EJ Manuel, all of whom have more experience, but will I believe hit the market as well, likely at a lesser price. Of course other QBs will be out there for the right price. Romo, Bradford, probably both Kaepernick and Gabbert, etc. but as I said before, GMs and owners tend to get enamored with QBs who they haven't seen falter (e.g. rookies) under the near blind hope this new QB can lead them to the promised land, often ignoring the other pieces of the puzzle that allow a QB to succeed.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Elway also signed Mark Sanchez for $4.5m, and was trying to trade away a 4th round pick to SF to get Kaepernick, but Colin wouldn't accept the pay cut to $14m over two years Elway was offering.

From what I've seen, Osweiller has been forcing the ball too much. But it is true, had Houston not overpaid him, Denver would have, but he probably would have done better in the Bronco system, and likely at least a little better than Simeion. But Simieon came a LOT cheaper at $500k, and Denver has been looking at some tough salary numbers, having spent a lot in FA in recent years.

The problem with "grooming" a QB like that also lies in FA, the way the CBA is written, rookies come cheap. But the NFL is a QB starved league. As such, someone who shows any promise over their first couple years of grooming, can hit a jackpot. We may see this happen with Jimmy Garapolo this coming off season. Though he may also be the next Matt Flynn, and may be no better than Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, or EJ Manuel, all of whom have more experience, but will I believe hit the market as well, likely at a lesser price. Of course other QBs will be out there for the right price. Romo, Bradford, probably both Kaepernick and Gabbert, etc. but as I said before, GMs and owners tend to get enamored with QBs who they haven't seen falter (e.g. rookies) under the near blind hope this new QB can lead them to the promised land, often ignoring the other pieces of the puzzle that allow a QB to succeed.
Elway went into desperation mode after losing both the Legend and Osweiler in one year. Who did he have left? Siemian? A 7th round pick who was on the practice squad with a probable future more conducive of a back-up QB. He grabbed Sanchez as someone with starting experience that could step in right away for the starting job. Funny thing, and to the surprise of every Bronco fan, Siemian beat-out Sanchez badly during the preseason. Honestly, Sanchez stunk up the joint and Elway egregiously miscalculated that signing. However, neither Sanchez nor Siemian were pegged anyway as the future QB for the Broncos. The evidence for that is the 1st round draft of Paxton Lynch, who obviously is not ready to start yet as seen in his 2 starts this year. Lynch is the future QB of the Broncos. Will he succeed? Don't know.

Osweiler, IMO, would be doing much better here under Kubiak's offensive scheme. Not to be redundant, but Osweiler was 6-1, beat the Patriots and had a high QB rating during Manning's absence last year...very impressive. I don’t know if Osweiler got pissed off about not being the starter for the playoffs (understandable), and maybe that factored into his decision to take the offer from Houston over what Elway put on the table (?). Certainly, he would have known that Manning's career was all but done with his injuries and declining performance, and that the starting job was a guarantee for him next season. As I mentioned, this should have been a Rogers/Favre type transition that worked so well for GB. I honestly believe Elway "didn't see this coming." Lol.

TRENDING THREADS