• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 391 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Surprised how little the Browns had to give up to get OBJ. With the off-season the Steelers are having, the Ravens losing a key LB in Mosley, I wonder who's going to be the first pundit to predict the Browns winning that division?

The Giants replaced him with...Golden Tate?

As much of upgrade Nick Foles is over Blake Bortles, I find it hard to fathom him being worth $88m, $25m up front as a singing bonus, and another $25m guaranteed. Granted, if the team goes 9-7 and he plays okay, that will be a large improvement over Blake Bortles, who the team really overpaid. So that bar will be easier to clear than justifying the contract. Granted, Nick will still make less money than Joe Flacco, if you can believe that.

Speaking of Bortles, I have to wonder if he's really going to get a serious shot as a backup in the future. Even in his best seasons, he played well when others played even better. However, he's a big guy, and runs fairly well. Maybe some team could use him like the Saints use Taysom Hill?

Not to be outdone by the Raiders overpaying Trent Brown, the Broncos went out and signed Ja'Wuan James, who is a RT to $51m over four years, with $32m of that guaranteed, making him the highest paid RT in the NFL. I had to look him up, and apparently he's a better run blocker than pass blocker, but even at that just average, which shows how tight the market must be for veteran linemen.

There's been some talk here that James could be moved to left tackle. And Elway is having a clearinghouse on the offense: Matt Paradis (Panthers), Max Garcia (Cardinals), Matt LaCosse (Patriots). More to come so I'm hearing.

Elway is trying to reconstruct the offense for Flacco's preference. He says they'll be running a lot of undercenter formations with play-action passing. He's totally sold on Flacco thinking he has a lot left in the tank and invaluable experience from the standpoint of a SB winning QB.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2825744-john-elway-believes-joe-flacco-is-entering-his-prime-for-broncos-at-34-years-old

Elway is looking for the "quick fix" solution that he got with Manning. I'm not sold on it - I think Flacco is a big injury risk with last year's hip injury, previous ACL/MCL tears & concussions. Flacco had one year left on his contract at Baltimore which didn't seem to matter one bit with ownership as they were so disappointed that they would part ways with him for a measly 4th rd pick, and go full-throttle with a pure running QB who had almost as many rushing attempts as passing attempts (147/170). Baltimore obviously sees so much more potential to win with Jackson and so little value with the aging & injured Flacco. We'll see how this all plays out this season; if Elway got a steal or made yet "another" costly mistake in evaluating QBs.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Surprised how little the Browns had to give up to get OBJ. With the off-season the Steelers are having, the Ravens losing a key LB in Mosley, I wonder who's going to be the first pundit to predict the Browns winning that division?

The Giants replaced him with...Golden Tate?

As much of upgrade Nick Foles is over Blake Bortles, I find it hard to fathom him being worth $88m, $25m up front as a singing bonus, and another $25m guaranteed. Granted, if the team goes 9-7 and he plays okay, that will be a large improvement over Blake Bortles, who the team really overpaid. So that bar will be easier to clear than justifying the contract. Granted, Nick will still make less money than Joe Flacco, if you can believe that.

Speaking of Bortles, I have to wonder if he's really going to get a serious shot as a backup in the future. Even in his best seasons, he played well when others played even better. However, he's a big guy, and runs fairly well. Maybe some team could use him like the Saints use Taysom Hill?

Not to be outdone by the Raiders overpaying Trent Brown, the Broncos went out and signed Ja'Wuan James, who is a RT to $51m over four years, with $32m of that guaranteed, making him the highest paid RT in the NFL. I had to look him up, and apparently he's a better run blocker than pass blocker, but even at that just average, which shows how tight the market must be for veteran linemen.
Yes, OBJ is a steal for the Browns. But Ravens pick up Earl Thomas, whom, if used right, could make the entire secondary better. He's great, but the Ravens way overpaid for Earl (4-yr $55M, $32M guaranteed, Average salary of $13.75M, but average over the final 3 years is $16M).

Bortles to Seattle? I mean, currently Seattle's backup is Paxton Lynch. I'd think Bortles >> Lynch, but not sure on that.

I was glad to see Bridgewater stay in NO. Hopefully in the long run that works out better for him.

As for OL, this is not a deep draft for that position group, so contracts for free agent OL are probably being driven up as a result.

Now, Tate to the Giants is interesting because of this: there are rumors that Russ Wilson may go to the Giants in 2020 after next season (when Russ becomes a UFA) because his wife Ciara is rumored to live (part of the time) in New York. Russ and Tate were teammates in Seattle early in their careers. Not sure if that can work in NY.

Nomad said:
There's been some talk here that James could be moved to left tackle. And Elway is having a clearinghouse on the offense: Matt Paradis (Panthers), Max Garcia (Cardinals), Matt LaCosse (Patriots). More to come so I'm hearing.

Elway is trying to reconstruct the offense for Flacco's preference. He says they'll be running a lot of undercenter formations with play-action passing. He's totally sold on Flacco thinking he has a lot left in the tank and invaluable experience from the standpoint of a SB winning QB.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2825744-john-elway-believes-joe-flacco-is-entering-his-prime-for-broncos-at-34-years-old

Elway is looking for the "quick fix" solution that he got with Manning. I'm not sold on it - I think Flacco is a big injury risk with last year's hip injury, previous ACL/MCL tears & concussions. Flacco had one year left on his contract at Baltimore which didn't seem to matter one bit with ownership as they were so disappointed that they would part ways with him for a measly 4th rd pick, and go full-throttle with a running QB who had almost as many rushing attempts as passing attempts (147/170). Baltimore obviously sees so much potential to win with Jackson and so little value with the aging & injured Flacco. We'll see how this all plays out this season; if Elway got a steal or made yet "another" costly mistake in evaluating QBs.
I tend to agree with your gut instinct on what Elway is doing. In fact, ever since Manning I think Elway's decisions have not been very good.

Will the Chiefs lose Hill too?
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26275558/investigation-involving-chiefs-wr-hill-underway

EDIT: Related note:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26272054/browns-rb-hunt-suspended-8-games-league

EDIT 2: I thought that Clay Matthews had worked out a deal with GB (or at least someone), but I see that he is still on the FA list. There is no question that he is not what he once was, but it seems like there are at least 10 teams that could use him as a role player and mentor.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Nomad said:

Elway is looking for the "quick fix" solution that he got with Manning. I'm not sold on it - I think Flacco is a big injury risk with last year's hip injury, previous ACL/MCL tears & concussions. Flacco had one year left on his contract at Baltimore which didn't seem to matter one bit with ownership as they were so disappointed that they would part ways with him for a measly 4th rd pick, and go full-throttle with a running QB who had almost as many rushing attempts as passing attempts (147/170). Baltimore obviously sees so much potential to win with Jackson and so little value with the aging & injured Flacco. We'll see how this all plays out this season; if Elway got a steal or made yet "another" costly mistake in evaluating QBs.
I tend to agree with your gut instinct on what Elway is doing. In fact, ever since Manning I think Elway's decisions have not been very good.

Elway's inability to pick QBs is mystifying. He seems to do better with defense. Flacco at this stage of his career is a dodgy prospect.

Re:

Koronin said:
Not a surprise...a possible injury bust. He has only played in 11 games the last two seasons. And the Finns never had success with him at the helm; only one (1) winning season in six with him starting. The one winning season (10-6 in 2016) ended in a first round playoff lost.

Simply amazing...the supposedly "hot" coach for the Finns, Gase, is gone and now Tannehill. I guess it's not only Denver having problems with HCs & QBs. Lol. This leaves the Finns with Luke Falk & Jake Rudock as the only QBs currently on the roster. What will be their move now? Draft a QB or go sign a veteran?

Re: Re:

Nomad said:
Koronin said:
Not a surprise...a possible injury bust. He has only played in 11 games the last two seasons. And the Finns never had success with him at the helm; only one (1) winning season in six with him starting. The one winning season (10-6 in 2016) ended in a first round playoff lost.

Simply amazing...the supposedly "hot" coach for the Finns, Gase, is gone and now Tannehill. I guess it's not only Denver having problems with HCs & QBs. Lol. This leaves the Finns with Luke Falk & Jake Rudock as the only QBs currently on the roster. What will be their move now? Draft a QB or go sign a veteran?
But who's an available vet better than RT right now? Kap, who has shown interest? MIA is #13 in the draft order, but ahead of them are 2 teams needing a QB (#1 AZ, #7 JAX), and 2 more teams who might draft a QB in round 1: OAK at #4; and the NYG at #6 who might want a QB for the future even if they commit to Eli one more year. If all 4 of those teams took a QB would that leave MIA with crumbs?
(On the roster for JAX at QB are Cody Kessler, Tanner Lee, & Alex McGough - Lee & McGough both finished rookie seasons. So yeah, due to Bortles' cut, JAX is probably in the hunt for a QB.)

Just think, MIA is one of those teams who could have had Russ Wilson instead of RT (both drafted in 2012).

As a side note, if the NYG do not draft a QB in round 1, there's a remote chance in the back of their mind they are thinking of going after Russ Wilson who is an UFA in 2020. And there is rumor Russ might play for the NYG after 2019 because that's where his wife lives. Who knows? Agents are probably leaking garbage stories so SEA and other teams come in with a strong offer, etc etc. It seems pretty clear agents like to use the media (e.g. reporters) to push their agenda.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2825988-rams-rumors-ex-jaguars-qb-blake-bortles-to-visit-on-monday-after-being-cut

The thought had crossed my mind that Bortles could just head to the other end of FL and be the man in Miami. Unless the Dolphins have something up their sleeve, BB might be as good an option as the 13th pick. What has AZ decided to do? Is Rosen going to Miami? The deciding factor between those two could come down to 'value'.

If BB does go to LA, he could be a good back up for them.

on3m@n@rmy said:
But who's an available vet better than RT right now? Kap, who has shown interest? MIA is #13 in the draft order, but ahead of them are 2 teams needing a QB (#1 AZ, #7 JAX).
Wait a minute! Since when did AZ need a QB? They have Josh Rosen, who was arguably the best QB out of college last season, in a year of QB's. The team as a whole, especially the offense, played poorly all year, not just him. So why do they need a QB?

As to Jacksonville, they just signed Nick Foles to an $88m deal. Why would they need a QB in the draft?

I think the teams most likely to draft a QB early are the Giants at #6, and Denver at #10. I don't think with their off-season haul, signing AB, and now JJ Nelson shows me the Raiders are looking for a new QB as well, and to dump Carr. I just don't see it.

Now, if you're saying you're certain Arizona is going to trade Rosen away, and draft Murray, that I can see. I commented on that the other day. It's a risk, but if you look at Kliff Kingsbury and the offense he's likely to play, he may very well go all-in on Murray. If so, Rosen could easily end up at Miami, or NYG, or Denver, or maybe somewhere we're not thinking, like Cincy, San Diego, New Orleans, Detroit, New England...

The QB free agency market has gotten really thin, which makes Rosen's value go up as trade bait. Who's the best FA QB left out there? Teddy Bridgewater? He's saying he likes it in New Orleans. Next up is...Brock Osweiller? He played fairly well last year, but not like a true starting, winning, QB. Ryan Fitzpatrick? Blake Bortles?!
And there is rumor Russ might play for the NYG after 2019 because that's where his wife lives. Who knows? Agents are probably leaking garbage stories so SEA and other teams come in with a strong offer, etc etc. It seems pretty clear agents like to use the media (e.g. reporters) to push their agenda.
I don't buy it. At least not easily. That sounds like something a shock jock would bring up, acting on a guess like it's inside, sage truth.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Nomad said:
Koronin said:

But who's an available vet better than RT right now? Kap, who has shown interest? MIA is #13 in the draft order, but ahead of them are 2 teams needing a QB (#1 AZ, #7 JAX), and 2 more teams who might draft a QB in round 1: OAK at #4; and the NYG at #6 who might want a QB for the future even if they commit to Eli one more year. If all 4 of those teams took a QB would that leave MIA with crumbs?
(On the roster for JAX at QB are Cody Kessler, Tanner Lee, & Alex McGough - Lee & McGough both finished rookie seasons. So yeah, due to Bortles' cut, JAX is probably in the hunt for a QB.)

Just think, MIA is one of those teams who could have had Russ Wilson instead of RT (both drafted in 2012).

As a side note, if the NYG do not draft a QB in round 1, there's a remote chance in the back of their mind they are thinking of going after Russ Wilson who is an UFA in 2020. And there is rumor Russ might play for the NYG after 2019 because that's where his wife lives. Who knows? Agents are probably leaking garbage stories so SEA and other teams come in with a strong offer, etc etc. It seems pretty clear agents like to use the media (e.g. reporters) to push their agenda.
I believe Jacksonville is taken care of at QB with the Foles signing?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021978/article/nick-foles-signs-fouryear-deal-with-jacksonville-jaguars

Maybe the three guys you mentioned will fight it out for the backup spot? *If* Arizona drafts Murray then Rosen becomes a hot commodity to the teams needing a QB. If AZ doesn't draft a QB then Murray is bound to be taken in the early picks. Also, Drew Lock is being thrown around as an early 1st rd pick. And the only consistency in the mock drafts at QB is Haskins going to the NYG. Which would bring up the question does Manning "stay or go" (there were some reports last Dec that Manning said he might not come back for 2018 - and if Haskins is taken, I'm sure the two-time SB winning QB won't be too thrilled).

Interesting info on Wilson - didn't know he will be an UFA in 2020. The problem is will the NYG want to wait another year for that possibility forgoing a chance to draft a franchise QB with their 6th OA pick?

Alpe d'Huez said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
But who's an available vet better than RT right now? Kap, who has shown interest? MIA is #13 in the draft order, but ahead of them are 2 teams needing a QB (#1 AZ, #7 JAX).
Wait a minute! Since when did AZ need a QB?
As soon as they hired Kliff Kingsbury. Kingsbury wasn't very good winning-wise at TT (several losing seasons) but had those 2 great years coaching Mahomes with that high-octane offense. As soon as he was fired, USC snatched him as their OC (I believe to work with JT Daniels and straighten out that offense). But in comes AZ to offer him the HC job after firing Wilks, who only got one (1) year on the job (very unusual in the NFL).

AZ sees something in Kingsbury to make a bold move like that and hire a guy as HC who was *fired* from the college ranks and has no previous NFL coaching experience. Maybe it's nothing more than to work with Rosen, or OTOH, perhaps they see Murray is as big-time playmaker with his RPO ability and who better to develope him than Kingsbury.

Alpe d'Huez said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
Wait a minute! Since when did AZ need a QB? They have Josh Rosen, who was arguably the best QB out of college last season, in a year of QB's. The team as a whole, especially the offense, played poorly all year, not just him. So why do they need a QB?

As to Jacksonville, they just signed Nick Foles to an $88m deal. Why would they need a QB in the draft?

I think the teams most likely to draft a QB early are the Giants at #6, and Denver at #10. I don't think with their off-season haul, signing AB, and now JJ Nelson shows me the Raiders are looking for a new QB as well, and to dump Carr. I just don't see it.

Now, if you're saying you're certain Arizona is going to trade Rosen away, and draft Murray, that I can see. I commented on that the other day. It's a risk, but if you look at Kliff Kingsbury and the offense he's likely to play, he may very well go all-in on Murray. If so, Rosen could easily end up at Miami, or NYG, or Denver, or maybe somewhere we're not thinking, like Cincy, San Diego, New Orleans, Detroit, New England...

The QB free agency market has gotten really thin, which makes Rosen's value go up as trade bait. Who's the best FA QB left out there? Teddy Bridgewater? He's saying he likes it in New Orleans. Next up is...Brock Osweiller? He played fairly well last year, but not like a true starting, winning, QB. Ryan Fitzpatrick? Blake Bortles?!
And there is rumor Russ might play for the NYG after 2019 because that's where his wife lives. Who knows? Agents are probably leaking garbage stories so SEA and other teams come in with a strong offer, etc etc. It seems pretty clear agents like to use the media (e.g. reporters) to push their agenda.
I don't buy it. At least not easily. That sounds like something a shock jock would bring up, acting on a guess like it's inside, sage truth.
Alpe you know better than to think that need is the only thing that drives moves in the NFL. Plus need is an operative term. :lol: Rosen is likely to be a better NFL QB than Murray, but AZ has the hot idea that they are going to put the NFL on its head with and new coach and a QB with similar styles. AZ needs to make a lot of changes though no matter which QB and offense they run next year.

I don't see Jax drafting a QB either (on3 probably doesn't either). I suppose they could in the last round if they think they have a 'gem' that got overlooked.

Nomad said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
Wait a minute! Since when did AZ need a QB?
As soon as they hired Kliff Kingsbury. Kingsbury wasn't very good winning-wise at TT (several losing seasons) but had those 2 great years coaching Mahomes with that high-octane offense. As soon as he was fired, USC snatched him as their OC (I believe to work with JT Daniels and straighten out that offense). But in comes AZ to offer him the HC job after firing Wilks, who only got one (1) year on the job (very unusual in the NFL).

AZ sees something in Kingsbury to make a bold move like that and hire a guy as HC who was *fired* from the college ranks and has no previous NFL coaching experience. Maybe it's nothing more than to work with Rosen, or OTOH, perhaps they see Murray is as big-time playmaker with his RPO ability and who better to develope him than Kingsbury.
Well Alpe, why does AZ need a QB is a good question. I think it's more like Kingsbury WANTS or craves Murray. But NOMAD hit it smack on the nail head... with possible intentions by AZ to draft Murray & trade Rosen. The topic of AZ drafting Murray and trading Rosen is a hot one with lots of speculation, but hinges on many people thinking that Murray is a better fit with Kingsbury than Rosen would be. There may be some folks who think Kingsbury was hired to work with Rosen, but if that's the case, it seems AZ could have made a better HC choice than Kingsbury. OTOH, the Kingsbury hiring may be the result of ownership lusting to find the next shiny golden bling (e.g. like the next McVey).

Re:

jmdirt said:
Johnny Manziel to Memphis. He could look at this two ways: a chance to make it back to the NFL, or a place to make a career.
Or an ultra weird phenomenon in which the position of quarterback is not being developed through the professional college ranks..how could this guy fit into any NFL franchise? Kaepernick and Jonny Football bring boats not bags full of disruptive baggage. They don't possess the talent to cancel out the distraction that they would bring.I would just stay on the history of college draft or go to grocery stores looking for a Kurt Warner clone

All good points. I've noted in past years that NFL staff get enamored with rookies, especially QBs, instead of quality NFL vets. They see someone who has never failed in the NFL. In this light, Murray is a vastly superior choice to Rosen for Arizona, right?!

As to Manzeil, I would be really, really surprised if he's ever back in the NFL, and surprised if he succeeds in the AAF. He never played well in the NFL, or CFL, and likely won't in the AAF. However, he may very well fill some seats, and the AAF could use that, as they aren't pulling big crowds really. It will be interesting to see if he actually plays next week.

Great win for the Arizona Hotshots beating the undefeated Orlando Apollos, in Orlando, in the AAF. Over halfway through the season.

I find NFL kneelers..strange birds. The fan base appears to disapprove, but for most no lasting outward stain to career or playing time.
Colin is different, regardless of talent he will bring booing into an art form at both home and away games. I think it had to be at the very least a consideration made by GMs and other staff no matter how desperate the need for a backup QB.
Subtle improvement made on NFL pace of play may end up being a good thing for football. Also seeing fan reaction to hearing and seeing referee decision making..again a benefit to the NFL w another league taking a tiny risk.
I don't know much about Jonny Football..
I was in NYC when players..shot themselves w guns, coach and wife agreed to a tattoo of Mark Sanchez on their bodies. Saw Farve send photos of his junk, Saw Sanchez wear a fur coat and be crowned the obvious king only to butt fumble.
All those clods still got paid to play.so why not Manzell.
And before being a NY carpetbagger ..I filled a seat at San Diego sports venues..most that came waaaaay past their prime..Doug Flutie got paid when he should not have.
Thank God for Tony Gwynn and Junior Seau..LT too I guess

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
All good points. I've noted in past years that NFL staff get enamored with rookies, especially QBs, instead of quality NFL vets. They see someone who has never failed in the NFL. In this light, Murray is a vastly superior choice to Rosen for Arizona, right?!

As to Manzeil, I would be really, really surprised if he's ever back in the NFL, and surprised if he succeeds in the AAF. He never played well in the NFL, or CFL, and likely won't in the AAF. However, he may very well fill some seats, and the AAF could use that, as they aren't pulling big crowds really. It will be interesting to see if he actually plays next week.

Great win for the Arizona Hotshots beating the undefeated Orlando Apollos, in Orlando, in the AAF. Over halfway through the season.
How is it that fans can see things that 'insiders' can't? As I said above, I think that Rosen will end up being a better NFL QB than Murray, but neither could succeed with the 2018 Cards.

Re:

Unchained said:
I find NFL kneelers..strange birds. The fan base appears to disapprove, but for most no lasting outward stain to career or playing time.
Colin is different, regardless of talent he will bring booing into an art form at both home and away games. I think it had to be at the very least a consideration made by GMs and other staff no matter how desperate the need for a backup QB.
Subtle improvement made on NFL pace of play may end up being a good thing for football. Also seeing fan reaction to hearing and seeing referee decision making..again a benefit to the NFL w another league taking a tiny risk.
I don't know much about Jonny Football..
I was in NYC when players..shot themselves w guns, coach and wife agreed to a tattoo of Mark Sanchez on their bodies. Saw Farve send photos of his junk, Saw Sanchez wear a fur coat and be crowned the obvious king only to butt fumble.
All those clods still got paid to play.so why not Manzell.
And before being a NY carpetbagger ..I filled a seat at San Diego sports venues..most that came waaaaay past their prime..Doug Flutie got paid when he should not have.
Thank God for Tony Gwynn and Junior Seau..LT too I guess
At the beginning, I thought that the guys kneeling was good because it got people's attention, and got people talking. But I feel like they never moved their discussion forward. They let other people create the narrative, and lost the momentum they had created.

TRENDING THREADS