• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 540 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Looks like the Raiders are going to hire Josh McDaniels, and Dave Ziegler, both from New England. Josh was too emotional when at Denver, but I have a hunch that won't be an issue here. He must also have been enticed by large cap room in the future. Questions are if Josh is going to call plays on offense, and who his DC is going to be. I think it would be a mistake to not keep Gus Bradly, if at all possible.
Josh McDaniels? Lol. What about Rich Biscaccia? He's nothing short of a miracle worker taking the team to the playoffs given the incredible adversity he was up against with all those criminal problems & the damage caused by that idiot Gruden. So, they would pass on Biscaccia for McDaniels? Crazy...the coaching carousel in the league has become a clown show.

Why would Aaron Rodgers want to play in the same division as Patrick Mahomes? The AFC West is one of the most competitive divisions in the NFL, and KC one of the best, most formidable, best coached, organizations in the NFL. Does he really think that Denver is going to complete head to head with Mahomes/Reid just because he's arrived? Play them twice a year? Then see what happens in the playoffs? Just to follow a coach, and because Elway likes older QB's and will pay big $ to get him there? I have some news Aaron, the Packers are a more stacked team than the Broncos. Oh, and the NFC North has one good team. The Packers. If the goal of an NFL team is to win games, think about that scenario for just a second.
Elway is not the GM anymore turning over all player personnel decisions to George Paton, who was hired this year coming from Minnesota where he served in a similar capacity. Elway is officially "President of Football Operations" but his contract isn't being renewed for 2022 as he's expressed an interest in bidding for ownership.

The speculation is that Paton is interested in Rodgers as well as Cousins. Under this scenario I'd take Rodgers in a heartbeat. He's still got a cannon of an arm and probably a good 2-3 yrs left in him. And the cupboard isn't bare: Two big solid receivers in Sutton & Patrick. Blazing speed with Jeudy. A premier TE in the making with Fant. A phenomenal rookie season with Javonte Williams, who looks to be an every down RB who can also catch. And the O-line is improving with veteran Garett Bolles playing better & taking on more of a leadership role. And the D is great - 8th best in the league led by Chubb & one of the best secondaries in the business with Simmons & Surtain.

IMO, the Broncos are just a QB away from being legitimate SB contenders.

Last edited:
What a collapse by the 49ers. But the Rams kept it together when it mattered, for the second week in a row, if just barely. But that drop by Tartt is the kind of play that haunts a player the rest of his career. The rest of the team folded pretty badly when it mattered as well. Despite Jimmy G getting them this far, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he plays somewhere else next year. Trey Lance has looked nothing close to ready to start for an NFL team, but he does have athletic skill, and they moved up in the draft to get him. Recall that SF was in talks to get Stafford before that. So, Lance better be the answer.

IF the Bengals can protect Burrow at all, I think they have a chance to win, the way they stiffened up against KC, who I think is a better team than LA. However, that's a big IF. We saw what Tennessee did against them, and the Rams have a better pass rush than the Titans, certainly better than KC. To me that's the key of the SB. That, and the Rams are very inconsistent. That is a concern for certain. But the Bengals must have layers of strategy to protect Burrow. Their D can only keep them in there so long.

If the Rams don't win this SB, they likely won't for many, many years to come. They gambled everything on this one season, everything.

What a collapse by the 49ers. But the Rams kept it together when it mattered, for the second week in a row, if just barely. But that drop by Tartt is the kind of play that haunts a player the rest of his career. The rest of the team folded pretty badly when it mattered as well. Despite Jimmy G getting them this far, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he plays somewhere else next year. Trey Lance has looked nothing close to ready to start for an NFL team, but he does have athletic skill, and they moved up in the draft to get him. Recall that SF was in talks to get Stafford before that. So, Lance better be the answer.

IF the Bengals can protect Burrow at all, I think they have a chance to win, the way they stiffened up against KC, who I think is a better team than LA. However, that's a big IF. We saw what Tennessee did against them, and the Rams have a better pass rush than the Titans, certainly better than KC. To me that's the key of the SB. That, and the Rams are very inconsistent. That is a concern for certain. But the Bengals must have layers of strategy to protect Burrow. Their D can only keep them in there so long.

If the Rams don't win this SB, they likely won't for many, many years to come. They gambled everything on this one season, everything.
Another late game implosion by the Niners, another 10 point lead down the drain. No wonder Niners fans are so frustrated. Tartt had to make that catch it went straight into his hands then a few dumb penalties and that was that.Some of the play calling as well left me mystified especially on third downs. Not one of Shanahan's better called games.

Another late game implosion by the Niners, another 10 point lead down the drain. No wonder Niners fans are so frustrated. Tartt had to make that catch it went straight into his hands then a few dumb penalties and that was that.Some of the play calling as well left me mystified especially on third downs. Not one of Shanahan's better called games.
Yeah that interception could have changed the game. Rams did what I thought Chiefs were about to do after the two missed interceptions, make them pay. With how close the games were and all the parity with Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, Ravens, and Chargers I wonder if this could be the last time Chiefs could make the Super Bowl. AFC is far away from being dominated by NE and Indy with Steelers behind them. The coming 10-20 years could show like how NFC had their quarterbacks go to 1-2 Super Bowls. Since it was from like 2001-2019 the AFC quarterback was Brady, Manning, or Ben besides twice.

Strange SB: Burrow vs Stafford - no premier QB this year. And LA has the home field advantage...hmmm

I don’t think LA playing at home is going to be such a significant advantage. The 49ers seemed more vocal at times, granted SF is much more closer to LA, and there was always going to be a lot of 49ers fan in LA, but the Bengals beat the Chiefs on the road, KC was always one of the toughest places to play at. I also think the Bengals will have a decent amount of support. They should be fine.

I don’t think LA playing at home is going to be such a significant advantage. The 49ers seemed more vocal at times, granted SF is much more closer to LA, and there was always going to be a lot of 49ers fan in LA, but the Bengals beat the Chiefs on the road, KC was always one of the toughest places to play at. I also think the Bengals will have a decent amount of support. They should be fine.
I think that the biggest home field advantage is having your regular routine: your own house, family, bed, toilet, practice facility, car...

Yeah that interception could have changed the game. Rams did what I thought Chiefs were about to do after the two missed interceptions, make them pay. With how close the games were and all the parity with Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, Ravens, and Chargers I wonder if this could be the last time Chiefs could make the Super Bowl. AFC is far away from being dominated by NE and Indy with Steelers behind them. The coming 10-20 years could show like how NFC had their quarterbacks go to 1-2 Super Bowls. Since it was from like 2001-2019 the AFC quarterback was Brady, Manning, or Ben besides twice.
Ask the Bills about the SB. Kansas will be frustrated but at least they got one recently, this time they didn't even get there, last time they were thrashed, as veterans will tell you, getting to the SB is very difficult unless your Brady. The 49ers also have lost their last three SB appearances and probably should have progressed again but they have to convert. The Bengals were a quiet pick at the beginning of the season while the 49ers were 15-1 to win it. Chiefs and Bills along with the Rams were the favourites. Next year its in Vegas see how the Raiders go !

A few people picked the Bengals to be the dark horse this season. If the Rams don't win it will be seen by many as a giant fail with all of their investments in the win now mentality and getting a win at home. Should be an interesting one as the Rams have shown a habit of seizing up in the second halves this season when they have the game under control and even against the 49ers they had all the possession in the first half but not much to show for it . If the Bengals offense gets going they can add points quickly and the Rams won't want to let them back into the game.

Ask the Bills about the SB. Kansas will be frustrated but at least they got one recently, this time they didn't even get there, last time they were thrashed, as veterans will tell you, getting to the SB is very difficult unless your Brady. The 49ers also have lost their last three SB appearances and probably should have progressed again but they have to convert. The Bengals were a quiet pick at the beginning of the season while the 49ers were 15-1 to win it. Chiefs and Bills along with the Rams were the favourites. Next year its in Vegas see how the Raiders go !

A few people picked the Bengals to be the dark horse this season. If the Rams don't win it will be seen by many as a giant fail with all of their investments in the win now mentality and getting a win at home. Should be an interesting one as the Rams have shown a habit of seizing up in the second halves this season when they have the game under control and even against the 49ers they had all the possession in the first half but not much to show for it . If the Bengals offense gets going they can add points quickly and the Rams won't want to let them back into the game.
But I mean there should be a huge difference now in the AFC on what teams or quarterbacks are in the Super Bowl and it will be more like the NFC. From 2001-present it has been Brady, Manning, Ben, Mahomes, Flacco, Gannon (Who ever the Raiders quarterback was), and now Burrow. Brady, manning and Ben were in the Super Bowl majority of the team. While the NFC it has had massive parity. So that should be how it is in the NFC now with the AFC with potentially 6 teams that should be Super Bowl favorites.

Yes, if Rams do not win now or next year it will be a HUGE failure. We’re talking Sky not being as dominant as they were in my opinion. That’d be like a team getting Pogacar, Roglic, and Bernal (precrash) and not winning the Tour.

Back end of the season seems to be the Cardinals issue, the last two seasons they dropped off badly so first they have to get to the SB. Be interesting to see how much time the current coach gets if they keep coming up short. The ups and downs of the NFC West might help them especially if Russell moves on and the 49ers roll with Lance at QB. but the Cardinals did well in the divisional games anyway until the Seattle defeat which cost them a seeding only.

Reactions: jmdirt
Done.

I guess Kingsbury still has some credit with the GM and ownership. The record has improved for 3 years straight and the goal for this season was to make the PO, which he achieved. That will change next year though, you gotta aim for something bigger.
I still believe the roster needs talent. There really is just one elite player (Nuk) in the team. First rounders in the past few drafts have been mediocre to terrible (with the lone exception of Murray). The defense in particular needs playmakers.

Done.

I guess Kingsbury still has some credit with the GM and ownership. The record has improved for 3 years straight and the goal for this season was to make the PO, which he achieved. That will change next year though, you gotta aim for something bigger.
I still believe the roster needs talent. There really is just one elite player (Nuk) in the team. First rounders in the past few drafts have been mediocre to terrible (with the lone exception of Murray). The defense in particular needs playmakers.
I don’t know how true the story is as I couldn’t find anything on it but about 1-2 weeks ago on McAfee that the owners didn’t want to pay the coaches their playoff incentive bonuses because they were disappointed. For everyone’s sake I hope that’s not true.

Last edited:
Noooooooo! :(

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/TomBrady/status/1488522498060824583?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I wonder if he had planned it for this week or if the timeframe was expedited because of the leak. A hell of a career and proved everyone wrong that he was washed up in 2019. It would be unrealistic but a cool thing would be next year if he went to every team and played a half for them if they choose to. Super unrealistic but it would be a great way to go out and everyone experience what he brings. It’s a well deserved and earned retirement for someone who has had 3 Hall of Fame quarterback careers in one person. Definitely my favorite thing about him as a person is that it didn’t matter where the player or personal came from, their background, or history. He would know what they looked like, their name, know a fact or facts about that person, and introduce himself like a normal person.

Brady has announced he's officially retired. Here are a few thoughts:

He has 7 Super Bowl rings, and is a five time SB MVP. Three time league MVP. He could have 10 Super Bowl rings, maybe more. Remember this:

• The two losses against the Giants were a dropped ball away each game.​
• The loss to Philly was a close game, with the Eagles offense putting up 12 points in 4Q to secure the win.​
• In 2011 the Patriots were 14-2, had HFA, and botched a divisional game against the Jets, who they dominated in the regular season, and blew out four weeks previous.​
• In 2008, the Patriots had one of the most stacked teams ever, and Brady got hurt in week 1, the only real injury of his career.​

In his entire 22-23 year career Brady lost just 73 games, total. The New York Jets have lost 76 in just the last seven years alone.

His career numbers are staggering. His playoff numbers staggering. If you combine his regular season, and playoff numbers, he has 97,000 yards passing. But also his team stats. 17 division titles alone is just unreal. Only two seasons in his entire career did his team not make the playoffs. Once in 2003, another when he was hurt.

His numbers this season, his last, at age 44, were extremely impressive. MVP impressive. Career best for most players level impressive:

Comp %.____ Yards_____________ TD __ INT_________Rating

Brady is unquestionably the best player in NFL history, and one of the greatest athletes in sports history. His dominance, and his leadership, are unparalleled, maybe in the history of team sports.

Brady only player in NFL history to win Super Bowl titles in 3 decades..
5 coaching jobs still up for grabs ..Brady unemployed...?
3 young players set to lose NFL careers over off the field conduct..one guy just 25yo..
I won one out of 2..I bet the Bengals because it was against my gut..and I bet against the Rams at home because it was too obvious..
I am betting that Stafford does the job
Real Sports w Bryant Gumbel is a must see for the Antonio Brown interview with his lawyer next to him..Gumbel was flooded but measured and patient with the pair..Brown said plainly that everyone else is lying and he is telling the truth..and his story is a doozy

He has 7 Super Bowl rings, and is a five time SB MVP. Three time league MVP. He could have 10 Super Bowl rings, maybe more. Remember this:

• The loss to Philly was a close game, with the Eagles offense putting up 12 points in 4Q to secure the win.​
• In 2011 the Patriots were 14-2, had HFA, and botched a divisional game against the Jets, who they dominated in the regular season, and blew out four weeks previous.​
• In 2008, the Patriots had one of the most stacked teams ever, and Brady got hurt in week 1, the only real injury of his career.​

In his entire 22-23 year career Brady lost just 73 games, total. The New York Jets have lost 76 in just the last seven years alone.

His career numbers are staggering. His playoff numbers staggering. If you combine his regular season, and playoff numbers, he has 97,000 yards passing. But also his team stats. 17 division titles alone is just unreal. Only two seasons in his entire career did his team not make the playoffs. Once in 2003, another when he was hurt.

His numbers this season, his last, at age 44, were extremely impressive. MVP impressive. Career best for most players level impressive:

Comp %. Yards_________ TD __ INT_________Rating

Brady is unquestionably the best player in NFL history, and one of the greatest athletes in sports history. His dominance, and his leadership, are unparalleled, maybe in the history of team sports.

I know they were close in those losses, but they beat the Rams and Panthers on last second FG’s, the Seahawks didn’t run the ball, and the Falcons had a historic choke.

Comp %. Yards_________ TD __ INT_________Rating

Yes! Agree with everything.

The year he didn’t was 2002 when they went 9-7 and lost the tie breaker with Jets and Dolphins finishing 9-7 as well but NE put up more points. He and the teams only Super Bowl hangover year.

To add on the list of rings that could have been, 2006 and 2015 are definitely possible. 2006 they were leading and he gave the team the lead with 3 minutes left and they lost. 2015 they came storming back in a game he and the team were absolutely bullied and a missed Gostkowski PAT away from tying that game and most likely winning in overtime with how Manning was deteriorating as the game wore on. I think they’d be guaranteed to beat Bears and Panthers.

Then a crazy thing, he lead a drive in every Super Bowl bar two to take the lead in the fourth quarter or tie it.
2001 driving 53 yards in 1:21 to win set up the game winner.
2003 driving 68 yards in 4:02 for a touchdown to take the lead with 2:51 left in the game and then 37 yards in 1:04 to set up the game winner.
2004 driving 66 yards in 4:51 for a touchdown to take the lead with 13:44 left and then driving 43 yards in 3:49 to make it a 10 point game with 8:40 left.
2007 driving 80 yards in 5:12 for a touchdown to lead with 2:42 and then almost had what most likely would have been the Super Bowl throw and catch on that deep ball to Moss that was maybe a yard short off his fingertips.
2011 the offense last scored in the 3rd quarter to be up 17-9. If the Welker pass is completed they’re in at least field goal territory with 4:00 left.
2014 driving 64 yards in 4:50 for a touchdown and the lead after being down 10 points to the Legion of Boom to start the fourth quarter with 2:02 left.
2016 driving 91 yards in 2:33 for a touchdown and 2 point conversion to tie the game coming back 25 points and then leading the 75 yards in 3:58 to win the game.
2017 driving 75 yards in 4:47 for a touchdown to take the lead after being down 22-12 at the half with 9:22 left.
2018 driving 69 yards in 2:49 for a touchdown to take the lead and 72 yards in 3:05 to make it a 10 point game with 1:12 left.
2020 when he didn’t even have to go out in the fourth quarter because they were winning 31-9 and Gabbert could have got some reps in.

He has played an extra 47 games. Yes, he didn’t play his full rookie year and missed a year in 2008 but his age stayed the same and he made up for it with the extra games. With those two years removed he was in the Super Bowl 50% of his career and in the Championship game 14 times. He had a MVP type year last year, especially with Covid going to a 7-9 team with no offseason or preseason to win with a team that all they knew was losing and how he totally changed their attitude. To then have a MVP season this year and which I believe he should win due to the fact the team relied on him to win the games far more then Rodgers, making him the most valuable player to his team. All at an age no one has done it at.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/sportingnews/status/1488573720776134661?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

He also has the most touchdowns of anyone over 40 win 9.

The haters can say it’s luck and all the defense but someone isn’t lucky and have the defense bail him out for 22 years. They can complain about the dinking and dunking all they want but that is how you help your defense. Football is complementary and if the offense isn’t helping the defense, the defense can’t help the offense. They can bring up about 4-0 but there is also 4-14 vs 7-3 and 10-20 in a time with the NFL wanting parity. Any team or player would rather have the 6 extra trips to the Super Bowl vs being 4-0. He was called the Comeback Kid for a reason in college. There is a reason every NFL team when they played against him it was like their Super Bowl and a huge deal if they won. There is a reason not a single player teammate or otherwise has a bad thing to say about him. There is a reason his teammates say they all play harder for him. That was always there, all that Belichick did was polish his dusty diamond into a shiny one. His stats, wins, and achievements don’t lie. His leadership, dedication, commitment, form, knowledge, decision making, throwing motion, and pocket movement don’t lie. That is everything you would want in your quarterback. And he never took credit, always giving it to his teammates and always took the blame for their losses, no matter how great to terrible he played.

He retired when he could have played for at least another year, maybe even to 50. He beat Father Time when it was undefeated. He is the biggest draft steal in history, maybe the history of all team sports. He is the Comeback Kid. He is Tom Terrific. He is the greatest quarterback of all time and the greatest player for majority. He is football’s Eddy Merckx

I know they were close in those losses, but they beat the Rams and Panthers on last second FG’s, the Seahawks didn’t run the ball, and the Falcons had a historic choke.
Adam didn’t get himself in field goal range and he gave the Patriots the lead with a touchdown drive previously against the Panthers. Seattle is also even extremely, extremely lucky to be even at the goal line. The way the end was played, they played themselves into having to pass the ball either on 2nd or 3rd and they picked the down that it is still 50/50 if it’s a pass and a play that has been a 100% for them. When Lynch had a terrible record needing 2 yards or less that year. Many teams “choked” against them. When someone has a history of comebacks and winning at the last minute, that will scare anyone. Especially when the Patriots had been moving the ball previously, they just had the turnovers. The luck in these wins is no where close to the Giants loses.

Last edited:
As I have posted before, I don't agree with this assertion of that SB. All (maybe most) games have 'ebs and flows'. Look at this weekend,: KC great first half, poor second half, while CIN was almost the opposite.

EDIT: Also LAR vs. TB 27-3...27-27. When a team gets up by 20+ points everyone on the team mentally relaxes, maybe not much, but 1% is enough to let the other team get some things.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS