• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders New Jerseys - 2021 Season - TeamKits-Maillots-Tricots-Tenues

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oh, the fewer teams with POC the better. I've never forgiven them for the bucktoothed blobfish aero helmet.

BddzkLUCQAANMWq.jpg:medium

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah, that is just the worst piece of filth any cyclist has ever donned.

And all Danes wear it on the track and in international level time trials...

Otoh, I think that if you change the World Record with about the same frequence as the rest of us change underwear - as the Team Pursuit squad did at the World Championships last year - you're forgiven for wearing slightly odd-looking helmets.

Reactions: pastronef
Should have stuck with the ducks and tie-dye just as a F*** you to the UCI.

And also because it was one of the greatest team uniforms in sporting history.

I love this kit as it is a very subtle F*** you to the UCI and all the ridiculous kit regulations they have. If they spent as much time on more serious matters the sport would be in a better place

Reactions: 42x16ss
While I agree that UCI are entirely hopeless in terms of consistency and prioritising in the application of their rules, I think the press releases and attitude that the team have assumed looks to me like nothing other than truculent immature posturing. Quite how that is meant to represent a company whose business is predicated upon appealing to the parents of adolescents I am not sure.

But from a distance, when the pettiness of the detailing is unseen, a smart enough and distinctive kit.

Reactions: BlueRoads and yaco
While I agree that UCI are entirely hopeless in terms of consistency and prioritising in the application of their rules, I think the press releases and attitude that the team have assumed looks to me like nothing other than truculent immature posturing. Quite how that is meant to represent a company whose business is predicated upon appealing to the parents of adolescents I am not sure.

But from a distance, when the pettiness of the detailing is unseen, a smart enough and distinctive kit.
I do find it a bit lame myself and smacks of the "2 kool 4 skool" X games posturing
Palace was a good fit for EF because they are trying to bring to cycling this "attitude" of wild rule breaking outlaws that upper middle class suburban kids think they are when they go skateboarding on private property

I don't think that would have been against the rules at all. Nor did the UCI have any objection to the "ducks and tie die". I don't think there are any restrictions on the appearance of kit, apart from possibly public decency issues (and alcohol/tobacco/gambling promotion).

The fine at the Giro was because it was an unregistered kit, and EF management knew full well what they needed to do and by when to register it. If they are either incompetent or deliberately provocative in that administrative responsibility, they deserve no sympathy for being fined: I suspect it was a very deliberate part of the publicity drive.

My point was if the UCI spent as much time worrying about things like barrier designs or course safety or moto's covering an event etc in collaboration with the event organisers as they do about registration of kits, or logo placements or sock lengths or any other numerous things that in the grand scheme, the sport would be be in a better and safer place.

The new EF/Rapha kit just emphasises the point that worrying about kits is a fairly trivial waste of resources

I don't think that would have been against the rules at all. Nor did the UCI have any objection to the "ducks and tie die". I don't think there are any restrictions on the appearance of kit, apart from possibly public decency issues (and alcohol/tobacco/gambling promotion).

The fine at the Giro was because it was an unregistered kit, and EF management knew full well what they needed to do and by when to register it. If they are either incompetent or deliberately provocative in that administrative responsibility, they deserve no sympathy for being fined: I suspect it was a very deliberate part of the publicity drive.
Quite possibly. They could have registered the kit, didn't, but factored in the fine because they've then used that to fire up their promotion for the next kit, and now people are talking about them. Vaughters knows about business and PR. You can say a lot about him, and I indeed have done, but you can't say he's not shrewd when it comes to this side of things, and they've painted it as "the old stuffy suits at the UCI won't let us have any fun and we're the cool rebels you should support" when in reality it's "our PR department deliberately baited them into a reaction so that we could paint ourselves as the good guys." A bit conspiratorial, but I certainly wouldn't put it past them.

A bit like when they argued the UCI were sexist for opposing the Hammer Series because they were introducing a women's event in order that people like him could be portrayed as the good guys, when Vaughters deliberately killed one of the best women's teams in the world less than a year after taking it over so that he could pilfer money from it to hire Thomas Dekker.

My point was if the UCI spent as much time worrying about things like barrier designs or course safety or moto's covering an event etc in collaboration with the event organisers as they do about registration of kits, or logo placements or sock lengths or any other numerous things that in the grand scheme, the sport would be be in a better and safer place.

The new EF/Rapha kit just emphasises the point that worrying about kits is a fairly trivial waste of resources
Those issues are not mutually exclusive. They could work harder on safety and still have approved gear

And the evidence that the latter is at the expense of the former is what exactly?

EF haven't (as far as I have seen) tried to make this about safety, it seems to be just about wanting to be disruptive and snubbing their noses at authority. If I were a parent seeking additional education for kids, it is exactly the opposite to what I would be looking for: I wonder what Education First make of this.

Reactions: Breezy1985
Rather than dissecting the ins and outs of Rapha and EF messing with their kit to wind up the UCI, I'm more concerned with how Carlton Kirby is going to tell the difference between that bottom row of Trek, Quebeka and UAE almost identical kits :grimacing:!
Add to them the FDJ, Bike Exchange, Cofidis, Israel, Bora and Wanty white blandness (I'll give AG2R a pass as their kits is quite funny/cool) I fear it's goin to be a long and frustrating year of shouting at the TV :rolleyes:

Add to them the FDJ, Bike Exchange, Cofidis, Israel, Bora and Wanty white blandness (I'll give AG2R a pass as their kits is quite funny/cool) I fear it's goin to be a long and frustrating year of shouting at the TV :rolleyes:

It is kind of amazing that there is one of each of: dark blue, red, yellow, black and red, and pink. Two easily distinguishable black and two lighter blue. Everyone else is primarily white.

Reactions: Sandisfan