• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New marathon domination, Kenya.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Danielovich said:
Could it be evolution in training perhaps
Perhaps, in part.

Danielovich said:
No

Danielovich said:
or perhaps genetics?
Genetics are responsible for them running fast, but that doesn't explain them running fastER, unless there's evidence of them being Genetically Modified Runners.

Danielovich said:
The same goes for the pro tri atheltes i know, it's not really part of the culture.
What isn't "part of the culture"?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Danielovich said:
I get the point. They run fast as hell.

But why woUld that alone lead one to think that's caused by doping. Could it be evolution in training perhaps, shoes or perhaps genetics ?

Knowing people that have run for a living, it's easier for me to grasp than the people I know that do cycling for a living. I guess in my world, it's a sports cultural thing. The same goes for the pro tri atheltes i know, it's not really part of the culture.

But I am asking because I too believe running 20 km/h is almost too fast. But then again, it's an event in a vacuum and not 3000km over three weeks.

Its not the speed per se that makes me think they are doping, as insanely fast as that is. People were running sub 2:10 marathons long before EPO.

But it seems extremely unlikely to me that marathon would be the only endurance sport on the planet where they wouldnt use this obvious advantage.

Hitch: I think youre right about the smaller talent pool in marathon. Maybe the best runners simply didnt have access to a dr Ferrari or Fuentes to get juiced up to the max. I assume testing is pretty much non existent, and that is why the times are gradually improving, as people improve their doping.

It would be cool if some running experts could chime in with what effect EPO has in that sport. I was considering asking on Letsrun.com but figured it would be a waste of time.

the sceptic said:
Its not the speed per se that makes me think they are doping, as insanely fast as that is. People were running sub 2:10 marathons long before EPO.

But it seems extremely unlikely to me that marathon would be the only endurance sport on the planet where they wouldnt use this obvious advantage.

Hitch: I think youre right about the smaller talent pool in marathon. Maybe the best runners simply didnt have access to a dr Ferrari or Fuentes to get juiced up to the max. I assume testing is pretty much non existent, and that is why the times are gradually improving, as people improve their doping.

It would be cool if some running experts could chime in with what effect EPO has in that sport. I was considering asking on Letsrun.com but figured it would be a waste of time.

What you have to remeber about a marathon at your maximum aerobic / anaerobic effort is that there is a point when your muscles will run out of glycogen, so the ability to burn fat/ replenish glycogen comes into it, so while vector doping may help it may not have the same effect in the marathon, it is possible that sports science advances (or a new drug) has allowed people to burn fat more or replenish muscles energy better from gels (etc) at the elite marathon effort rate.

Epo does matter for the marathon on race day and through the training cycle. Pretty much every marathoner busted has been busted with epo (with one for clen, maybe a year ago). I've heard it compared to running on a moving walkway in an airport.

What you have to remeber about a marathon at your maximum aerobic / anaerobic effort is that there is a point when your muscles will run out of glycogen, so the ability to burn fat/ replenish glycogen comes into it, so while vector doping may help it may not have the same effect in the marathon, it is possible that sports science advances (or a new drug) has allowed people to burn fat more or replenish muscles energy better from gels (etc) at the elite marathon effort rate.
Yes, runners are limited by their glycogen stores, but you can target adaptions which increase the amount of fat you use for fuel by training in fatigued or fasted states. Canova says this about fuel:

Renato Canvoa said:
This is not exact. Kenyans don't eat anything BEFORE the race and/or before morning training. Before a marathon, they take (about 2 and half hours before) a cup of tea and one banana, using for the competition the food of the previous dinner.
But during the race, the situations are different.
If there is a race in optimal temperature (8-14 degrees), in many cases they drink only water. But, if it's warmer (remember, for example, all the WCh in August), there is a loss of mineral salts, after 20 km, higher than after the whole marathon in good conditions. In this case, many of them use MALTODESTRINES, that are specific sugars able to refuel in about 10' times.
They always avoid isotonic drinks, because can provoke some stomach problem (acidity and reflux).

Read more: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=5105428#ixzz2ylv8ECKV

One of his hallmark workouts is a "special block". Basically two full size workouts in the morning and then afternoon, to train in that fatigued and fasted state. Doping isn't any less effective if these adaptations are targeted.

I stand by what I said many posts up a few years ago. A few revelations since that post:

Marathon training is different. It is no longer an event for track stars to run when they run out of speed. It is an event that young runners specialize in from a early age. The demands of the race are better understood, and marathon training is much more specific to the race than had been in the past. Previously, the dominant training philosophies were not marathon specific. Lydiard's marathon block was really just long slow running. Jack Daniel's training zones are not useful for the race pace of the marathon. Records didn't tumble in the epo era because the stars were on the track, and those on the roads weren't training in the same way. Marathon times are only coming down now because the talent pool, and training has improved.

The team structure of cycling has more money and more personnel, which allows a thorough doping program ala Ferrari and Fuentes for every pro. In running, for every Nike Oregon Project or Canova, which have the know how and resources, there are other groups which are just runners and a coach, who perform just as well. Geoffry Mutai, Kipsang and Kimetto even train together without a coach.

At the same time, the rumors in Kenya are that epo is freely available. Testing is lax, and the incentive$ to dope are enourmou$.

There is still a lot of unprofessionalism in the top of the sport, which is not surprising. Stephen Kiprotich (gold medal olympics and WC) explained that his teammates perform so poorly at international championships because of the pre race buffets; these men have never had access to so much food, and stuff themselves without knowing the consequences. The Japanese system develops what seems like hundreds of sub 65:00 HM runners, but are often not allowed to race outside the country in favor of the corporate race system. There is so much potential in so many ways

As a fan, I wear two different faces. My clinic face is suspicious and skeptical as everyone on this forum, but my spectating face is glowing with excitement at these run of performances

the sceptic said:

Wikipedia has the evolution of the WR. No improvement between 1988 and 1998 which was predicted at the time based on the improvements that had been made at 5000 and 10000 in the mid 1990s. Since then more improvements by some fair chunks of time. Inferences cf EPO fairly easy to make esp since the 1988 record was a definite one off from a runner who remains largely unheralded.

I suspect that the generally deeper talent pool at least partly explains things (basically you compete at the shortest distance you can get away with and the increased competition at track distances as more and more countries have got in on the act has led to runners targeting the road at younger and younger ages and driving standards higher).

As far as the physiological effects go, the pace the top guys run at isn't THAT amazing until you factor in the energy implications which are largely unique to marathon running so I suspect it's about far more than just boosting up with EPO.

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
2-3 sec 1500m

12-15 sec 5000m

20-30 sec 10,000m

those are the guesstimates for known dopers performance gains at shorter distances

marathon who knows?

only 1 top flight east african busted for epo
a 2-05 athlete

plenty of the Spanish from 2-06 to 2-10 were on it

it seems like there's a few minutes gain

mikeoneill said:
top east african women

5 minutes slower than paula radcliffe yesterday

go figure!
Go read - Walsh wrote Radcliffe's autobiography.

Radcliffe now lives in Monaco.

Decision point 1999/2000 - hmmm now what do I do ? I could turn to the darkside and join the cheats, but on the one hand - I can see that all the blazers have really taken to heart all the points I have been making about the drug cheats kicking my backside and I can look to it all being cleared up some month soon, just look how busy they are exposing the cheats, so I will actually get a World or Olympic medal before my career ends - ooops dreaming there, well it seemed nice while I kept my eyes closed. Five more years being beaten and then I can look forward to being written off as a footnote to the great champions of the sport - yeah fun.

Now what do I need for a plan ?
Step 1 - Find a source for the juice,
Step 2 - train somewhere quiet, where no-one I don't know is coming, will show up.
Step 3 - win lots of stuff,
Step 4 - get somebody whose credentials are impeachable to write about how I did it clean,
Step 5 - retire somewhere where they really know how the World works and nobody really cares how you got there. You have lots of suckers' money - so what !

What's not to like ! Read the bio. See how step 4 turned out.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Freddythefrog said:
...so I will actually get a World or Olympic medal before my career ends - ooops dreaming there, well it seemed nice while I kept my eyes closed.

2005 World Champs in Helsinki?

Radcliffe's 2:15 came in a mixed race, so she had the pace made for her all the way. Her "women only race" record is only sub 2:18, which is still PDQ but not that much faster than the current top ladies' PBs.

Nasty Pasty ! How very dare they ?

Kenyan athletes subjected to blood tests following German television documentary claims
More than 40 of Kenya’s leading athletes have been subjected to out-of-competition blood tests in their home country for the first time after a team of overseas drug-testers paid an unannounced visit to the main high-altitude training region in the Rift Valley.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...ing-German-television-documentary-claims.html

Story date - January 2013. Paula - and a lot of others - were long since gone.

You just have to love the two comments at the foot of the article.

Doctor caught by German TV in sting opperation.

African Athletes Council shared a link.
December 13, 2012
"Kisorio gave a long and detailed description of his blood-doping and steroid regime, blaming medical staff behind the system and claiming many fellow Kenyans were using illegal performance-enhancing procedures.

"I didn't run up to my standard during this year's Boston marathon," he told German TV channel ARD.

"To get my power of endurance up, he (a doctor) told me they will take care of it. I asked if this is considered doping. He said: 'No problem. The substance stays only three to four days in your blood circulation and then it is impossible to prove.'

"I went with it, because everyone told me, I wasn't the only one - and none of the others got caught for doping.

"I know that a lot of medical substances are used, which are injected straight to the blood for the body to have more oxygen. And when you run, you run so smooth. You have more stamina.

"When the prize money comes in the doctors want a piece of your success," Kisorio added.

"There are some doctors who settle down in popular athlete areas where you can find the training camps. These men just open a pharmacy and claim they are just selling legal medication. Then they approach the athletes. It is the same all over the country.

"Athletics Kenya knows now what the situation is like. Maybe this is an ongoing problem that finally surfaces."

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
renato canova says epo doesn't work on elite east african marathoners

he coaches most of the top Kenyans

his story changes a little all the time

I think his latest version is epo works up to
10,000m but not for the marathon as you're below the lactic threshold

he also says cyclists main drug is steroids for stronger muscles going uphill... so it's hard to take the guy seriously

Freddythefrog said:
Kenyan athletes subjected to blood tests following German television documentary claims
More than 40 of Kenya’s leading athletes have been subjected to out-of-competition blood tests in their home country for the first time after a team of overseas drug-testers paid an unannounced visit to the main high-altitude training region in the Rift Valley.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...ing-German-television-documentary-claims.html

Story date - January 2013. Paula - and a lot of others - were long since gone.

You just have to love the two comments at the foot of the article.

According to the article the test results were to be available two months after, which would be at least by the end of March 2013. What were the results?

DirtyWorks said:
Hey, it's not doping if no one gets caught. That's the Track and Field excuse used a little earlier this year.

[update]
Yikes! I just read that link.

It's NOT about more oxygen uptake, that is one of the biggest myths in running and cycling. You use what you have more efficiently. If you used more oxygen, you would run out of energy quicker. Think about it.

Wow. The deniers are a religious bunch.

Consider this study

Does recombinant human Epo increase exercise capacity by means other than augmenting oxygen transport? Lundby C1, Robach P, Boushel R, Thomsen JJ, Rasmussen P, Koskolou M, Calbet JA. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2008 Aug;105(2):581-7. doi: 10.1152/japplphysiol.90484.2008. Epub 2008 Jun 5.

Abstract

This study was performed to test the hypothesis that administration of recombinant human erythropoietin (rHuEpo) in humans increases maximal oxygen consumption by augmenting the maximal oxygen carrying capacity of blood.

Systemic and leg oxygen delivery and oxygen uptake were studied during exercise in eight subjects before and after 13 wk of rHuEpo treatment and after isovolemic hemodilution to the same hemoglobin concentration observed before the start of rHuEpo administration.

At peak exercise, leg oxygen delivery was increased from 1,777.0+/-102.0 ml/min before rHuEpo treatment to 2,079.8+/-120.7 ml/min after treatment. After hemodilution, oxygen delivery was decreased to the pretreatment value (1,710.3+/-138.1 ml/min). Fractional leg arterial oxygen extraction was unaffected at maximal exercise; hence, maximal leg oxygen uptake increased from 1,511.0+/-130.1 ml/min before treatment to 1,793.0+/-148.7 ml/min with rHuEpo and decreased after hemodilution to 1,428.0+/-111.6 ml/min.

Pulmonary oxygen uptake at peak exercise increased from 3,950.0+/-160.7 before administration to 4,254.5+/-178.4 ml/min with rHuEpo and decreased to 4,059.0+/-161.1 ml/min with hemodilution (P=0.22, compared with values before rHuEpo treatment). Blood buffer capacity remained unaffected by rHuEpo treatment and hemodilution. The augmented hematocrit did not compromise peak cardiac output.

In summary, in healthy humans, rHuEpo increases maximal oxygen consumption due to augmented systemic and muscular peak oxygen delivery.

I would say the guy Jono who you quote from the blog should have read this study!

May 19, 2010
Visit site
2:02:57 for Dennis Kimetto in Berlin today. Another huge chunk taken out of the WR (30 seconds) in what was a highly anticipated race with Emanual Mutai (Finished under old WR by 10 seconds at 2:03:13.

Kimetto's Story: Was not a runner only until a few years ago. He was a local farmer until (2:03 performer) Geoffry Mutai "discovered" him, and brought him to his training group. Now, finishing his 4th marathon with a WR

Berlin 2012, Debut: 2nd place to said training partner in 2:04:16
Tokyo 2013: 1st ??:??
Chicago: 2:03:35 1st, Course Record
Boston 2014: DNF
Berlin 2014: 2:02:57

The mantra of the Kenyan domination had been that the current crop of athletes were pure marathoners. They spent their lives focusing on the marathon, as opposed to 5k and 10k guys who didn't have the speed any more and moved up.

Kimetto throws a wrench in their own story line. Like Froome if instead of racing in sand shoes, Brailsford found him riding a tractor on the side of the road.

To Kimetto's credit though, he is not part of Renato "EPO doesn't work on Kenyans" Canova's group.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Freddythefrog said:
African Athletes Council shared a link.
December 13, 2012
"Kisorio gave a long and detailed description of his blood-doping and steroid regime, blaming medical staff behind the system and claiming many fellow Kenyans were using illegal performance-enhancing procedures.

"I didn't run up to my standard during this year's Boston marathon," he told German TV channel ARD.

"To get my power of endurance up, he (a doctor) told me they will take care of it. I asked if this is considered doping. He said: 'No problem. The substance stays only three to four days in your blood circulation and then it is impossible to prove.'

"I went with it, because everyone told me, I wasn't the only one - and none of the others got caught for doping.

"I know that a lot of medical substances are used, which are injected straight to the blood for the body to have more oxygen. And when you run, you run so smooth. You have more stamina.

"When the prize money comes in the doctors want a piece of your success," Kisorio added.

"There are some doctors who settle down in popular athlete areas where you can find the training camps. These men just open a pharmacy and claim they are just selling legal medication. Then they approach the athletes. It is the same all over the country.

"Athletics Kenya knows now what the situation is like. Maybe this is an ongoing problem that finally surfaces."

Pretty good recap. For Kenyans, competitive running is a huge personal economic success. Not even SUCCESSFUL competitive running - you just have to be good. The average per capita income is so low - you can be a successful man with income that would be impoverishing elsewhere.

Add to that, they have access to the same drugs and science of 1st world countries today. And they have access to the supply line. And they probably have this access at a cost that is far closer to production cost than would a buyer in a developed country.

Spells recipe for cheating, if you ask me.

hiero2 said:
Pretty good recap. For Kenyans, competitive running is a huge personal economic success. Not even SUCCESSFUL competitive running - you just have to be good. The average per capita income is so low - you can be a successful man with income that would be impoverishing elsewhere.

Add to that, they have access to the same drugs and science of 1st world countries today. And they have access to the supply line. And they probably have this access at a cost that is far closer to production cost than would a buyer in a developed country.

Spells recipe for cheating, if you ask me.

Never testing positive has never been easier.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
More Strides than Rides said:
To Kimetto's credit though, he is not part of Renato "EPO doesn't work on Kenyans" Canova's group.

Renato Canova posts a lot on the letsrun forums which I occasionally peruse. Didn't realise he was this deluded or dishonest.

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Interesting article on the dutch news site: *click*. Maybe someone can translate some highlights. At least a former dutch athlete (marathon runner) doesn't think times under 2:05 are possible without doping.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
HSNHSN said:
Interesting article on the dutch news site: *click*. Maybe someone can translate some highlights. At least a former dutch athlete (marathon runner) doesn't think times under 2:05 are possible without doping.

That's not what he (Luc Krotwaar) is saying, although it's close to it.

He says that the last marathon world record he would vouch for is the 2h06m50s by Densamo in the late eighties. So he's skeptical about everything after that, especially times ran under 2h05m.

He thinks there's about a 10% chance this record is ran clean.

The rest of the article is just about the "perfect conditions" in Berlin and speculation about the 2 hour barrier.

SeriousSam said:
Renato Canova posts a lot on the letsrun forums which I occasionally peruse. Didn't realise he was this deluded or dishonest.

Search around for his posts on that forum about doping. He says that 1) epo would only make marathoners burn energy too quickly, and 2) that epo would have no effect on altitude-native athletes who have maxed out their aerobic base 2b) there is no scientific literature on the performance enhancing effect of epo on elite kenyans.

In other news, Moses Mosop just got dumped by his agent for not being comitted enough or hard working. Too bad he doesn't have Tinkoff as his manager to make him more professional...