• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New study shows leg flexion less efficient than extension.

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Alex, thanks for the link to the model you created.
It seems to use a 'zero power' value at (or near) TDC and BDC - I would expect an attempt to generate power through the full crank rotation in an 'all out sprint' situation (and doing that would probably produce less cyclic variation).

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Re:

JayKosta said:
Alex, thanks for the link to the model you created.
It seems to use a 'zero power' value at (or near) TDC and BDC - I would expect an attempt to generate power through the full crank rotation in an 'all out sprint' situation (and doing that would probably produce less cyclic variation).

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
For the purposes of that example (which was to examine what happens to velocity when accelerating), whether power reaches zero or some minimum positive power during a pedal stroke will have pretty much the same effect.

But yes, you are right it's not always zero (indeed it can be negative).

I actually explored a model with a positive minimum torque/power in an earlier item when I examined crank velocity variation during steady state cycling:
http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/the-sin-of-crank-velocity.html

In that item I list many examples in the literature and other forms of measurement showing the typical force, torque and power application patterns of two legged riders, or of a single side measurement of two legged riders. The first measurement of pedalling forces was reported in the literature was in 1896!

One thing we can see with all these examples is how power doesn't generally drop all the way to zero while pedalling, and that it is often not symmetrical for left and right legs.

The variance in power/torque/forces between peak and minimum during a pedal stroke is very large, and this is by far the biggest factor impacting on (the relatively small) velocity variations.

Re: Re:

Nice work Alex. I have a spreadsheet that models power production as a rectified sine and assumes constant resistance forces. You can vary the rider mass, the speed, and the average power. I built this originally when working with Marc Quad at AIS. Anyway, if you'd like to play around with it let me know and I'll send it to you. Just use my regular email.
Cheers,
Jim

Re: Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
One thing we can see with all these examples is how power doesn't generally drop all the way to zero while pedalling, and that it is often not symmetrical for left and right legs.
-----------------------------
Thanks again Alex.
The info about variation of bike, and crank speed is very well explained.

Regarding the above quote, I think another item that can be inferred is that the riders have both the strength and skill to not allow the power to drop to zero (or at least not too much as shown in Coyle 1991 figs 4 & 5).
So assuming (yeah, I know ...) that some of the riders consider themself to be 'mashers', and some 'circular', there doesn't appear to be a huge amount of actual difference among them.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Probably many think they pedal a certain way and under measurement probably pedal in a manner that fits their individual constraints. In Para cycling an amputation above the knee requires one to pedal circular under the rules. When/if they can use a prosthesis or a counterweight we see they become more efficient. Kudos Jim, some excellent research, look forward to the full study being published.