• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Ninja of La Vuelta

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
For any future Ninja competitions I propose a following formula. It might require some co-operation among participants but I think it would allow as to track down the true Ninja better than a simple "top10 on any stage" formula.

So a Ninja would be someone who finishes the highest on GC among riders who:
  • didn't finish top3/top5* on any stage- I don't think a quiet 9th place on a stage should disqualify you from being a Ninja
  • didn't wear leader's, points, KOM or youth leader's jersey on any stage
  • wasn't spotted on TV by anyone in a group consisting of fewer than 6/7/8/9* riders that was the first group on the road at that point of a stage. So for example being in that final 6-men move on stage 2 would disqualify you from being a Ninja, but when there's a breakaway of 20 riders and it splits up at some point and you end up as the 4th rider on the road but there are riders ahead of you on the road with some time advantage, you can still be a Ninja as long as you never catch up to fhe first rider/group on the road
optionally we might add:
  • didn't win any KOM or intermediate sprints
  • wasn't spotted leading peloton/main favourites group by anyone
*- exact values could be a subject of further discussion

AfpcnBZ4WYkg7Pzq2GjiNa-1200-80.jpg

Btw, is it actually possible (or even likely) to WIN Grand Tour being a Ninja? Probably yes, e.g. if breaks are always allowed to have their stage wins (and TT is and flat enough, so the winning ninja climber has no chance for TOP10).

Btw, is it actually possible (or even likely) to WIN Grand Tour being a Ninja? Probably yes, e.g. if breaks are always allowed to have their stage wins (and TT is and flat enough, so the winning ninja climber has no chance for TOP10).

Bernal is probably closest, winning this year without ever finishing top 3 in a stage. However, it must be said he had a significant lead with a mountain to go in the cancelled stage age this year.

Roger Walkowiak is probably the Ninjaest TdF winner ever; he won without ever wearing yellow in a stage, and is the only TdF winner to have never won a TdF stage in his career.

Reactions: SafeBet
What are the chances of that happening? :D
It establishes that it is possible to be in the lead while still ninja: the later in the race it is, the more possible. Maybe I should have put "It would have happened if the last 13 stages had all finished in group sprints."

Was there not a 2.1 race this year or last that was won totally on intermediate springs, by a guy whose best stage finish was about 80th?

TRENDING THREADS