• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

No giro for Scarponi

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Kanstantin Siutsou is simply not that good. His Giro placing last year flattered him. At 30 I somehow doubt -while not impossible- dramatic improvements are gooing to happen. Don't kid yourselves.

The Hitch said:
majka in theory for saxo though i don't expect too much, but more importantly ag2r also have dupont.

in truth I was going to add both them, wasnt sure if dupont was racing tho.
I forgot about Majka.

Froome19 said:
Hasen't been named? I count that as 7 posts about him...

you will also notice that ryo said the specific person mentions and not the whole thread. reading 101.

-

anyway if rujano is ever gona win a GT, I fail to see a better oppurtunity then this giro.

The idea of Scarponi not doing the Giro is bad in my mind ( not CQ wise though ). Basso will own Rujano.

Hopefully he can animate the TDF well. I would like to see him try annihilate people in the mountains except for Andy.
Ulissi, Bole, Petacchi, Hondo, Spilak, Malori, Anacona, Niemic and Lloyd i think would be a good team to send to the Giro.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
The idea of Scarponi not doing the Giro is bad in my mind ( not CQ wise though ). Basso will own Rujano.

Hopefully he can animate the TDF well. I would like to see him try annihilate people in the mountains except for Andy.
Ulissi, Bole, Petacchi, Hondo, Spilak, Malori, Anacona, Niemic and Lloyd i think would be a good team to send to the Giro.

spilak rides for katusha ;)

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Yep, Scarponi will most likely ride the Giro. One weird sentence in the Strade Bianche preview on Velonation in not quite a reliable source to send Michele to the Tour and i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't know yet that he's made this 'decision'. The Tour 2013 will suit him more and i guess Michele himself would prefer to approach this race with a proper Giro win.

Parrulo said:
costa will either ride the tour or no GT at all and focus 100% on the classics this year (ardennes and autumn classics, worlds included ofc) but most likely he will ride the tour

Unless if he just decides to do the races in Canada i think he would do the Vuelta ( he could help on any hilly stages ).

Libertine Seguros said:
After all, we know that a leaderless Movistar will throw attackers up the road left-right-and-centre, after the carnage they attempted to wreak on the 2011 Vuelta before illness ravaged the team; Marzio Bruseghin was off the front all the time, and of course the 2010 Tour, until Radioshack started shutting down all their attacks for the Teams classification. They're pretty good at giving themselves at least a minor role in GC battles they have no right to be part of.

Looking forward to it. They got themselves 4 stages at GT's last year which shows even without leaders they can go well ( which is what you said )

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Kanstantin Siutsou is simply not that good. His Giro placing last year flattered him. At 30 I somehow doubt -while not impossible- dramatic improvements are gooing to happen. Don't kid yourselves.
Indeed, the lack of personal ambitions is an important issue for the riders from East Europe but the thing is there are not needed dramatic improvements to show a better result.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
Indeed, the lack of personal ambitions is an important issue for the riders from East Europe but the thing is there are not needed dramatic improvements to show a better result.

the true issue for east-europeans is that they have physically matured at a much earlier stage than other europeans, asians or americans mostly

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Boots! What are you doing?! He's chosen to ride a Grand Tour that has nearly 100km and very few severe mountain stages for a guy who is a climber and an average to mediocre time triallist.

A Scarponi, Andy, Basso battle in the Giro would be a good race but AS is riding the TDF and I cannot believe that Scarponi won't ride the Giro. If he does ride the TDF they should just give Basso the Giro trophy now. Rujano has no chance. Gadret should also do well in the Giro.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Boots! What are you doing?! He's chosen to ride a Grand Tour that has nearly 100km and very few severe mountain stages for a guy who is a climber and an average to mediocre time triallist.

do you try to reassure yourself?