• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Non-elite races World Championships Bergen 2017

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
Frankschleck said:
DNP-Old said:
Brullnux said:
On the contrary, many colombians seem not to progress as much as one might expect.
Except all of them have made progression throughout their careers, even Quintana, until this year.

gcwbmbJ.png

But with your arguements hey shouldn't be aloud to race ;)
I would recommend some glasses or reading comprehension.
I would recommend not being so salty and bitter, and while your at it please support you arguments more, beacuse you are bitter and unlogical.

Brullnux said:
DNP-Old said:
Brullnux said:
On the contrary, many colombians seem not to progress as much as one might expect.
Except all of them have made progression throughout their careers, even Quintana, until this year.
Henao (both) and Quintana definitely have not progressed as much as people had expected them to. Uran has stayed pretty constant since 2011, Gaviria isn't excelling that much, although it may be too early to say. For Bernal it is definitely too early to say, and Lopez has had an injury hit year and so it is also to early too say for him (either way).
Really, Sergio Henao? His career has been one big injury, breaking bones in every part of his body, and at the times he wasn't injured, he wasn't racing due to issues with his blood passport (twice). Some goes for Gaviria. Lol at him not excelling that much, he just had the best grand tour debut in God knows how many years.

kingjr said:
I haven't seen all that much progress by Quintana since 2013.
Numbers don't lie.

DNP-Old said:
Brullnux said:

gcwbmbJ.png
But would you argue that the 2016 Quintana was really better than in 13, 14 and 15? I wouldn't. This graph shows represents his results but it doesn't represent his strength.

DNP-Old said:
Brullnux said:

gcwbmbJ.png
Cq points =/= actual progression. There was no jump in ability from 2015 to 2016. He just did the Vuelta and wasn't ill. In 2013 he didn't do the Vuelta and 2014 he crashed.

Frankschleck said:
DNP-Old said:
Frankschleck said:
DNP-Old said:
Brullnux said:

gcwbmbJ.png

But with your arguements hey shouldn't be aloud to race ;)
I would recommend some glasses or reading comprehension.
I would recommend not being so salty and bitter, and while your at it please support you arguments more, beacuse you are bitter and unlogical.
We already had this discussion like three days ago. I feel no need to repeat it. At this point, if you're still clueless about my arguments I'm confident it has nothing to do with me.

If there's anything the Danish guys shouldn't be allowed to do, then it's signing a pro-contract on basis on one - or a few - good result(s) as youth riders. Coz that seems to be their main issue; signing too early, and then choking under the pressure. Which, kinda makes sense to me; for a young guy moving several 100 Ks away from home might be a bit tough, and it's rather hard to be a pro if you're living in Denmark.

DNP-Old said:
Brullnux said:
DNP-Old said:
Brullnux said:
Henao (both) and Quintana definitely have not progressed as much as people had expected them to. Uran has stayed pretty constant since 2011, Gaviria isn't excelling that much, although it may be too early to say. For Bernal it is definitely too early to say, and Lopez has had an injury hit year and so it is also to early too say for him (either way).
Really, Sergio Henao? His career has been one big injury, breaking bones in every part of his body, and at the times he wasn't injured, he wasn't racing due to issues with his blood passport (twice). Some goes for Gaviria. Lol at him not excelling that much, he just had the best grand tour debut in God knows how many years.

kingjr said:
I haven't seen all that much progress by Quintana since 2013.
Numbers don't lie.
Henao hasn't progressed. Injuries can be part of a reason someone doesn't progress.

Wow, he beat a field of Bennett and Ewan. Incredible. But his classics results (I know there were health issues) were a bit of a letdown for me personally. But anyway, like I said, it's too early to say. He could become an absolute world beater, like some said Quintana would become, or 'just' in and around the top, like Quintana has become.

No, numbers can't lie; but they can be used wrongly and distorted to fit an argument - like you have done.

RedheadDane said:
el chava said:
RedheadDane said:
Which, kinda makes sense to me; for a young guy moving several 100 Ks away from home might be a bit tough, and it's rather hard to be a pro if you're living in Denmark.

Tell that to the Australians

Australia's got two things Denmark hasn't; mountains and good weather. :p

Then tell that to Rolf Sørensen, or any other danish pro from the 90s where it was not uncommon to live in some godforsaken Belgian town age 17 as an ambitious amateur rider.

el chava said:
RedheadDane said:
el chava said:
RedheadDane said:
Which, kinda makes sense to me; for a young guy moving several 100 Ks away from home might be a bit tough, and it's rather hard to be a pro if you're living in Denmark.

Tell that to the Australians

Australia's got two things Denmark hasn't; mountains and good weather. :p

Then tell that to Rolf Sørensen, or any other danish pro from the 90s where it was not uncommon to live in some godforsaken Belgian town age 17 as an ambitious amateur rider.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for a young guy to move miles away from home, just that there clearly has been some guys struggling with that, and living in a country like Denmark - with generally terrible weather - is really not ideal.
Mads Würtz actually revealed something interesting during the U23 ITT; in his last year as a conti rider - after he'd won the World's title in Richmond but opted to stay at home for a year more - he was living in a flat on his own to practice.
Of course it's not just living alone far away from what you know, there's also the issue of being snatched up by a big team, and then not being allowed to ride for the win as frequently as they might have been used to. Take Lander for example; sure, it looked really cool that he was signed by BMC, but not like such a team would allow some random Danish kid to go for the wins.

There could definitely be tendencies toward some populations of riders maturing earlier than others. To me it definitely seems that Colombinas tend to mature quite early. Quintana first broke through in a GT when he was 23, and he hasn't really gotten much better than that. He did improve a bunch in spring races though.

It remains to be seen how much progression MAL has to make. I assume quite a bit as he basically missed almost a year due to injuries.

I think it's also pretty likely that Bernal won't improve consistenly until he's 27. He'll get close to his ceiling pretty early age wise, though it's still possibly an ATG ceiling

Re:

Red Rick said:
There could definitely be tendencies toward some populations of riders maturing earlier than others. To me it definitely seems that Colombinas tend to mature quite early. Quintana first broke through in a GT when he was 23, and he hasn't really gotten much better than that. He did improve a bunch in spring races though.

It remains to be seen how much progression MAL has to make. I assume quite a bit as he basically missed almost a year due to injuries.

I think it's also pretty likely that Bernal won't improve consistenly until he's 27. He'll get close to his ceiling pretty early age wise, though it's still possibly an ATG ceiling
If thats our conclusion, I guess there isn't anything else to do than ban them. We can't have that.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:

I agree

DNP-Old said:
Frankschleck said:
DNP-Old said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Those Danes in the youth categories.. man I wonder if this one doesn't top out at 20yo
He'll be working as an accountant or mailman in three years.
whats your problem?
How can it be their fault that they are better?
How bitter can you be?
What do you want to do, disqualfy the scandaniavian riders because they are better when they are younger, or what is your soloution?
I wouldn't mind that actually.
If the case is that you just don't like riders from Denmark, then that is fine, but cut the crap and admit your true intentions instead of using pesudo arguments like "they are ruining all the fun in the u19 and u23 classes", when a danish rider attacks 30km from the finish, overtakes the break and goes on to win solo. If that isn't truly inspirational racing, then I don't know what is.

Cance > TheRest said:
DNP-Old said:
Frankschleck said:
DNP-Old said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Those Danes in the youth categories.. man I wonder if this one doesn't top out at 20yo
He'll be working as an accountant or mailman in three years.
whats your problem?
How can it be their fault that they are better?
How bitter can you be?
What do you want to do, disqualfy the scandaniavian riders because they are better when they are younger, or what is your soloution?
I wouldn't mind that actually.
If the case is that you just don't like riders from Denmark, then that is fine, but cut the crap and admit your true intentions instead of using pesudo arguments like "they are ruining all the fun in the u19 and u23 classes", when a danish rider attacks 30km from the finish, overtakes the break and goes on to win solo. If that isn't truly inspirational racing, then I don't know what is.
Don't start a discusiion with that guy, he is impossible and doesn't argue with any context

LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:
LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:
Pidcock isnt a fan of sky to say the least going by his personal fb
Really?

Yeah got a mutual friend

d319f12b968d79092a70d32e0f23056e.png

Cant be bothered to find his anti-sky post but here's his take on Froome a couple of years ago :lol:
lol thanks :p I love his scarecrow comment
Little did he know, he would later become CNF's favorite Brit due to that comment.