• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 208 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

BullsFan22 said:
The moment (for me) is at 18/19 seconds. Bolshunov's basket snaps at 31:31.6 race time.
No, definitely not. Please look at a picture of second 12 I posted earlier. You clearly could see the difference between left (with basket) and right (without half of the basket but with white rest piece of the basket) poles.

The basket was broken between second 2 and 4. The quality of the video and the camera angle do not allow to demonstrate the moment but Toenseth intentionally moved too close to Sasha. I think he stepped on a basket.

I must admit I didn't notice the basket broke before the corner. My bad.

Been watching the first 3-4 seconds slow motion many times now. I'm coming to conclusion the basket broke on his 2nd push in this youtube clip. It is between seconds 1-2 in the clip. Firstly you can clearly see some black object bouncing in the snow after the pole leaves snow in this 2nd push. Secondly, the white object in Riders picture against the e-tron add. In picture it might look like basket still intact in pole because you can't see the pole shape clearly, but if you look at slow motion, it looks to be not adjanced to pole anymore. That object is still in the air when Bolshu hits the pole to ground for 3rd push.It is the broken piece flying around after he lifts the pole from snow.

Re:

Rider said:
The basket was broken between second 2 and 4. The quality of the video and the camera angle do not allow to demonstrate the moment but Toenseth intentionally moved too close to Sasha. I think he stepped on a basket.

But his poling right after that is normal. If it was snapped at 2-4 seconds, then his pole would sink as it did at 18/19. It's strange. As they are double poling up the hill, I have a hard time seeing the basket on that right pole, but he seems to be poling without too much trouble, so not sure how that's possible without a basket in that sort of snow. Toenseth is definitely very close to Bolshunov, almost touch him, but it's still not clear to me.

Re:

bambino said:
I must admit I didn't notice the basket broke before the corner. My bad.

Been watching the first 3-4 seconds slow motion many times now. I'm coming to conclusion the basket broke on his 2nd push in this youtube clip. It is between seconds 1-2 in the clip. Firstly you can clearly see some black object bouncing in the snow after the pole leaves snow in this 2nd push. Secondly, the white object in Riders picture against the e-tron add. In picture it might look like basket still intact in pole because you can't see the pole shape clearly, but if you look at slow motion, it looks to be not adjanced to pole anymore. That object is still in the air when Bolshu hits the pole to ground for 3rd push.It is the broken piece flying around after he lifts the pole from snow.

I see something flying as well, but is that his basket or something else? As I wrote to rider, his poling is normal until 18/19 seconds. Would he not have noticed it fifteen seconds earlier?

Re:

Rider said:
And Johaug is also innocent in Nepryaeva's fall today. Sure.

I read about that as well. They said there was no footage of that, but the Russians apparently filed a protest against Johaug. She was making moves to get up to the leaders, but the fall must have happened not long after she got up to them. It was between time split 1.6 km and 2.4 km, because at 1.6 Nepryaeva is in 8th, just ahead of Johaug, but at 2.4 km, she is 34th and almost 15 seconds back. That was it. It's a pity we don't have footage of her fall, just so we can see what really happened.

Re:

DenisMenchov said:
Well, Bolshunov still has everything in his legs, if he wins tomorrow, he (almost certainly) wins the World Cup no matter what.

Well, based on Falun performance on the 15K skating I think he will actually catch Klaebo however dropping him looks mission impossible.
By the way do you know if tomorrow's pursuit is counted has a separated event or just considered the aggragate result (like in biathlon)

KZD said:
DenisMenchov said:
Well, Bolshunov still has everything in his legs, if he wins tomorrow, he (almost certainly) wins the World Cup no matter what.

Well, based on Falun performance on the 15K skating I think he will actually catch Klaebo however dropping him looks mission impossible.
By the way do you know if tomorrow's pursuit is counted has a separated event or just considered the aggragate result (like in biathlon)

There will be points for both the Pursuit event (50 for the first...) and Final World Cup (200 for 1st, 160 for 2nd...)

BullsFan22 said:
According to Toenseth, Harvey yelled "GO" when Bolshunov's basket broke.

https://www.abcnyheter.no/nyheter/sport/2019/03/23/195563855/klaebo-med-ny-seier-etter-bolsjunovs-stavbrekk

What a class act.
Well, clearly Toenseth was the guy that caused Bolshunovs pole to break some 17s later. (31.15.4 into the race)
So Toenseth says following:
– Jeg fikk ikke med meg noe, men hørte Harvey rope «go», så da gjorde jeg som han sa, forklarte Tønseth
translated: I didn't see what happened but I heard Harvey shout "go", so I did what he said.
???? :surprised: :surprised: :confused:
Why would on earth should Toenseth follow Harveys advice?

The total absence of sportsmanship is quite sickening.

DenisMenchov said:
KZD said:
DenisMenchov said:

There will be points for both the Pursuit event (50 for the first...) and Final World Cup (200 for 1st, 160 for 2nd...)

I think Klaebo, being aware of the amount of points, will go for it from the start. He likely won't have the fastest time, but he'll be in the points, for sure. Bolshunov would need to ski the skate race of his life to win the tour. It'll be interesting to see what the Norwegians behind Bolshunov and Harvey do. I think they'll try to catch them quickly and then likely sit on, because they obviously won't like to drag those two to Klaebo. What may happen is that somebody like Toenseth and especially Roethe and Krüger would like to have the fastest time of the day.

Discgear said:
BullsFan22 said:
According to Toenseth, Harvey yelled "GO" when Bolshunov's basket broke.

https://www.abcnyheter.no/nyheter/sport/2019/03/23/195563855/klaebo-med-ny-seier-etter-bolsjunovs-stavbrekk

What a class act.
Well, clearly Toenseth was the guy that caused Bolshunovs pole to break some 17s later. (31.15.4 into the race)
So Toenseth says following:
– Jeg fikk ikke med meg noe, men hørte Harvey rope «go», så da gjorde jeg som han sa, forklarte Tønseth
translated: I didn't see what happened but I heard Harvey shout "go", so I did what he said.
???? :surprised: :surprised: :confused:
Why would on earth should Toenseth follow Harveys advice?

The total absence of sportsmanship is quite sickening.

I could not find original Toenseth interview so translating back from russian to English:

Martin had problems, and at that time Ustyugov began to add. In my opinion, this is unsportsmanlike behavior. We would not do that. NRK, January 03, 2017.

Norwegian liar.

BullsFan22 said:
I see something flying as well, but is that his basket or something else? As I wrote to rider, his poling is normal until 18/19 seconds. Would he not have noticed it fifteen seconds earlier?
It's impossible to know, but it's just the most likely based on the evidence. You see something dark fly off where his pole was in the snow, and I can't really understand what else it can be.

Re:

KZD said:
Amid so much cross country talk, I don't know if anybody refered the record 15th win of the season for Johannes Boe in Oslo pursuit with Tarjei coming in second.
None of the 'he'll never be as good as Fourcade' group have mentioned it.

Can you all agree that you saw the incident in the way that suits your particular agenda and leave it at that?

Rider, the whole calendar has been nothing but skate sprints and 15km races. No skiathlons, no 30k individual (or mass start), only 3 classic sprints, easy TDS route with (you guessed it) two skate sprints and only one individual race, everything else was basically a mass start. It's tailor made for somebody like Klaebo. Of course Klaebo didn't make the schedule, but I hope FIS can alter things for the future. That said, since the advent of the TDS in 2007, FIS has been actively trying to cater to more casual viewers, to get more people into watching the sport. That's fine, everyone that follows this sport should want it to be popular, but how is that working? Kowalczyk is basically retired from the circuit so the viewership is way down in Poland, the Germans have been more or less mediocre for the past few years, the French men have done well, but what's the stats in France? Pellegrino has flown the flag for Italy, but he is saying that xc is way down on the list in terms of popular sports, he says (maybe he is exaggerating, I don't know) it's 15th. What's the viewership like in Finland? It's always going to attract audiences in Scandinavia, so it's safe there, and it's still somewhat popular in Russia (rider or if there are any other Russians here, you can clarify). Everywhere else it's a fringe sport. Harvey is about to retire, that will greatly diminish Canada's influence in xc and I am not sure if it was ever super popular there. Next year they are bringing the WC to Minneapolis, Jessie Diggins' backyard. That's a good move. Will it bear fruit?

Fantastic effort from Bolshunov. Probably won't win, as he has two guys just drafting off of him the whole time and the course, first it's way too mellow to do too much damage and second it's been cut short by almost 2km. Nevertheless, great effort to bridge the gap so quickly and to go for it.

BullsFan22 said:
and it's still somewhat popular in Russia (rider or if there are any other Russians here, you can clarify).
Sports popularity in Russia (XC ski #5):
Snimok-ekrana-2018-03-30-v-16.19.42.png

WHAT on earth was that again today`Why in the world was this cut today? This is beyond ridicilous. Norwegian Mafia at it finest. What a *** disgrace :( :(
Incredible season by Bolshunov. By far the best skier of the season. Everyone outside of Norway will agree.

Oh yeah and Harvey once again showed that he is the biggest douchebag in the field :rolleyes:

So the skiing season is finally over.

So Wierer got it. All contenders had an average race, so 'status quo' suited her. Well done.
Öberg finally won a race, which isn't part of a major championship. I think Öberg is going to be a major world cup contender in future seasons. She is already very consistent, which is vital in the overall season. Also only time will tell, whether Herrmann has learnt to shoot consistently well, because her second half of the season has been very impressive.

JT.Bö comfortably owned the race and the season. Not confident in anyone taking the fight to him next season though, but who knows, let's see, what happens.

Incredible weekend for Stina Nilsson. It was expected that Östberg and Johaug would work together, but that wasn't enough to catch her. By the way, odd to think that for the whole decade Kalla has been Sweden's number 1. But now she has suddenly dropped to their 4th-5th skier. How times change...

Congrats to Kläbo on winning the overall. I think Bolshunov is a more universal skier than him, certainly in terms of distance skiing. But Kläbo won it by absolutely dominating sprints - which there are many on the calendar - and by performing in critical moments in long tours, where there are big points on offer.

TRENDING THREADS