• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic World Ski Championship

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
flyor64 said:
Agreed. Folks often joke about the wax...but that is where it is at!!!

It's been shown time and time again to be a game-breaker.

The Norwegian Men's relay at the Olympics this year was one perfect example...

A very very fit Hjelmeset struggled to barely keep contact during his Classic leg of the race...effectively removing any opportunity for Gold.

(Northug's leg to get the Silver is another story...:D)
how can anyone argue with the truth :)

i am fercking excited right now how magnus is burning the snow behind the german and the austrian.

Women's 10k was an exciting one. And our Finnish ladies performing so well at last made it almost perfect.

Of course we had good skis today but we still had 4 women among the 7 strongest in the race. I know Longa finished before Niskanen but he got a lot of help from Björgen so she doesn't really count here. I guess we are favorites for the relay now and only Norway will be close if everything goes as well as today.

Was disappointed to see Kowalczyk lose in the end. Should've counted his strength better and probably she would've won.

As for nordic combined, they should really change the concept. It's a freakin' skiing race nowadays. Luckily we are past the normal size hill now and the real jumping begins.

Jason Lamy Chappuis was supposed to have concentrated on his skiing in the summer but seems like it has backfired on him since he's a lot worse skiier than he was a year ago.

And it's such a shame to see the state of Finnish nordic combined. Just a few years ago we were dominant now we are seventh in the relay. Well I guess times change and nordic combined seems to be a dying sport anyway, sadly.

The NC does lean heavily on the ski, but then Mr. Lamy Chappuis has been winning races all season from his jump, and Frenzel's gold in the individual normal hill was more or less due to the jump. The problem, as I outlined above, is that the jump portion is not broadcast in many countries, so all we see is the ski race and the jump is almost irrelevant to the audience.

While i am somewhat partial to the previous format of the NC team event with 2 rounds of jumping and 60 points equaling a minute this version has certainly given some very exciting races - the 3 team sprint in Liberec and couple of very interesting races in Vancouver and today.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
men's individual 15 km classic is about to start streaming...

my personal favourite discipline to compete in and watch (excepting 50ks)

edit:
hey, even if you are not a huge fan of xc skiing, still tune in !! the eurosport english commentary is exceptionally competent and lively. and the parallels to cycling time trials are fascinating. the fittest aerobic athletes in the world in action!

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
3 in the top 8, all in the top 16 at 12.5 and a likely win. Looks like good skis to me
good skis yes but nothing close to the yesterday run by the finnish ladys..today you see real differences in fitness and technique too, not so much the waxing. that was the point

Ville Nousiainen said he had average skis. So with really top skis he would've fought for the bronze. Jauhojärvi and Heikkinen said nothing about their skis but most likely they were superb. But you can't put the good succes of the Finns only on the skis. Heikkinen was the best today hands down.

And it was a thrilling race again and great day for Finnish XC Skiing. It's been 10 years since our last gold medal and that was taken away too, Lahti 2001 :D

Swedes got to learn to wax their skis. Three consecutive days with poor waxing, if this continues they can say goodbye to any succes.

And considering NC, of course Lamy Chappuis won because he used to be an adequate skier. This year he has won lot less and has lost some big gaps.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Nastyy said:
Ville Nousiainen said he had average skis. So with really top skis he would've fought for the bronze. Jauhojärvi and Heikkinen said nothing about their skis but most likely they were superb. But you can't put the good succes of the Finns only on the skis. Heikkinen was the best today hands down.

And it was a thrilling race again and great day for Finnish XC Skiing. It's been 10 years since our last gold medal and that was taken away too, Lahti 2001 :D

Swedes got to learn to wax their skis. Three consecutive days with poor waxing, if this continues they can say goodbye to any succes.

And considering NC, of course Lamy Chappuis won because he used to be an adequate skier. This year he has won lot less and has lost some big gaps.

I believe Heikkinen said he had good/very good skis on norwegian TV, Eldar Rønning said he had fantastic skis. Good for skiing that Finland took a gold medal again, been 12 years since the last gold on the MEN's side in '99.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Nastyy said:

Hellner was down in the mid-30s correct?

Good day for the Norwegians today as well. Filling out the podium is not a bad days bit of work ;)

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Why does the program not include Biathlon? Cross country and Biathlon has more in common than cross country and ski jumping in my opinion, maybe this incident got it banned?

cartman said:
All right, thought I'd kick off this thread as no one else has done so and the sprint finals have allready started. I guess the thread will die quite quickly like the cricket one shold there be no interest, allthough judging by the clinic thread there should be some.

This years venue is Holmenkollen, Oslo

Programme, as seen at http://www.oslo2011.no/en/programme/

-

Thursday 24 February
13:30 Cross-Country: Individual Sprint free qualification Ladies and Men
15:00 Cross-Country: Individual Sprint free finals Ladies and Men

Friday 25 February
12:30 Ski Jumping: Normal Hill (HS 106) Qualification Men
15:00 Ski Jumping: Normal Hill (HS 106) Individual Ladies

Saturday 26 February
10:00 Nordic Combined: Individual Normal Hill (HS 106)
11:30 Cross-Country: 15 km Pursuit Ladies
13:00 Nordic Combined: Individual NH/Gundersen 10 km
15:00 Ski Jumping: Normal Hill (HS 106) Individual Men

Sunday 27 February
12:00 Cross-Country: 30 km Pursuit Men
15:00 Ski Jumping: Normal Hill (HS 106) Team Men

Monday 28 February
11:30 Nordic Combined: Team Normal Hill (HS 106)
13:00 Cross-Country: 10 km Individual classic Ladies
15:00 Nordic Combined: Team NH/4 x 5 km

Tuesday 1 March
13:00 Cross-Country: 15 km Individual classic Men

Wednesday 2 March
11:00 Nordic Combined: Individual Large Hill (HS 134)
12:15 Cross-Country: Team Sprint classic qualification Ladies and Men
14:15 Cross-Country: Team Sprint classic finals Ladies and Men
16:00 Nordic Combined: Individual LH/ Gundersen 10 km
18:00 Ski Jumping: Large Hill (HS 134) Qualification Men

Thursday 3 March
14:00 Cross-Country: 4 x 5 km Relay Ladies
17:00 Ski Jumping: Large Hill (HS 134) Individual Men

Friday 4 March
11:30 Nordic Combined: Team Large Hill (HS 134)
12:45 Cross-Country: 4 x 10 km Relay Men
16:00 Nordic Combined: Team LH/4 x 5 km

Saturday 5 March
12:00 Cross-Country: 30 km Mass Start free Ladies
15:30 Ski Jumping: Large Hill (HS 134) Team Men

Sunday 6 March
13:00 Cross-Country: 50 km Mass Start free Men

cartman said:
I believe Heikkinen said he had good/very good skis on norwegian TV, Eldar Rønning said he had fantastic skis. Good for skiing that Finland took a gold medal again, been 12 years since the last gold on the MEN's side in '99.

Well they finished the relay in 2001 first but naturally it was taken away.

And Hellner was 34th. Olsson was their best guy in 18th. Had their first guy started earlier they might have had time to change their skis. When Olsson was sofar down in the first intermediate time point at 2,2k it was obvious they had chosen the wrong skis again.

Big surprise by Manificat to do so well in classic. Promises good for the 50k on Sunday. Maybe he'll pull of a similar race as he did last year in 'Kollen's 50k race.

Bike Boy said:
Why does the program not include Biathlon? Cross country and Biathlon has more in common than cross country and ski jumping in my opinion, maybe this incident got it banned?

Because XC Skiing, Ski jumping and Nordic Combined come from the Nordic Countries thus they are included in the same program. Though biathlon also comes from Norway it's more mid-European. Also XC skiing, ski jumping and NC are under FIS and biathlon is under IBU.

And because it has always been this way I don't think it will ever change.

Nastyy said:
And Hellner was 34th. Olsson was their best guy in 18th. Had their first guy started earlier they might have had time to change their skis. When Olsson was sofar down in the first intermediate time point at 2,2k it was obvious they had chosen the wrong skis again.

No, they wouldn't have been able to change much. The problem is much deeper than that. The waxers said they didn't have nearly enough time to get things ready and it seems they don't quite know what to do to fix it. They even had problems with the skis at the end of Tour de Ski as well when there were similar snow conditions so it seems that these are conditions they have extra trouble with. I think their best bet is to hope for weather changes.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
No, they wouldn't have been able to change much. The problem is much deeper than that. The waxers said they didn't have nearly enough time to get things ready and it seems they don't quite know what to do to fix it. They even had problems with the skis at the end of Tour de Ski as well when there were similar snow conditions so it seems that these are conditions they have extra trouble with. I think their best bet is to hope for weather changes.

In which direction? It will only get warmer this week...so the forecast says.

+5 friday...maybe 0 on sunday...maybe not :eek:

ingsve said:

Oh well then they're pretty much screwed. Seems like they have a really poor waxing team. With Finnish or Norwegian teams these kind of waxing mishaps happen too but they get them fixed for the next race.

Don't know what the weather is going to be like but this seems to count them out of at least tomorrow's teamsprints 'cause they are in classic. With skating skis they don't seem to have problems. At least Hellner seemed to have adequate skis in the pursuit's skating leg.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Nastyy said:
Oh well then they're pretty much screwed. Seems like they have a really poor waxing team. With Finnish or Norwegian teams these kind of waxing mishaps happen too but they get them fixed for the next race.

Don't know what the weather is going to be like but this seems to count them out of at least tomorrow's teamsprints 'cause they are in classic. With skating skis they don't seem to have problems. At least Hellner seemed to have adequate skis in the pursuit's skating leg.
let's not forget another critical component for a classic style (in addition to pure waxing issues) - a choice of more or less stiff skis depending on the runner's weight style and the course profile.

for example today, with the last 3 kms mostly down and flat a stiffer ski for a heavier runner would make a lot of sense sacrificing some gripping comfort on steeper portions of the course.

it's really an art that more often than not depends on the size of the team's budget.

TRENDING THREADS