• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to know what products/brands people use to fuel up pre/during/post rides and what works what doesn't

Coming from a weight lifting background i've been a fan of maximuscle and CNP products which team SKY now use, anyone else got results using these or similar products whilst on longer rides etc?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Nutrition suppliments are what works for you post race and warm up it fairly easy but what can you eat and drink while you are in 90% on max HR.

Its easy for some they can drink anything and get away with it but what your guts can absorbe quickly and comfortable is trial and error.

Good luck. its your choice.

If its a product or brand, its processed schwag! :)

Eddy ate bananas, jam sandwiches, rice with mollasses etc.

Fruits contain the peak 1:1 glucose/fructose ratio and in the last 2 years the sports 'nutrition' companies have cottoned on and called it a 'breakthrough sports nutrition product' for anything that has this ratio..

Eat un processed wholefood carbs and automatically you get all your amino acid, vitamins, phytonutrients, enzymes, minerals etc. How can we get quality nurition in a packaged product that has been sitting on the shelf with a use by date of a few years..

7hrs ago I just fininshed my 8th 24hr solo xc race on bananas, dates and water. The whole race I saw riders belching, complaining of gastric issues or taking antacids... It cost me 50$ AUS for around 8000calories I consumed during the race. 8000cals from sports products would be well over 250$AUS in the form of bars, gels and powders.

As someone that used to sell these products, I can say that the majority of people that bought them had more money than sense.

Why buy a product that is named after a fruit, coloured like a fruit, tastes like a fruit, smells like a fruit yet has less nutrition and costs up to 500% more?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
durianrider said:

Fruits contain the peak 1:1 glucose/fructose ratio and in the last 2 years the sports 'nutrition' companies have cottoned on and called it a 'breakthrough sports nutrition product' for anything that has this ratio..

Eat un processed wholefood carbs and automatically you get all your amino acid, vitamins, phytonutrients, enzymes, minerals etc. How can we get quality nurition in a packaged product that has been sitting on the shelf with a use by date of a few years..

7hrs ago I just fininshed my 8th 24hr solo xc race on bananas, dates and water. The whole race I saw riders belching, complaining of gastric issues or taking antacids... It cost me 50$ AUS for around 8000calories I consumed during the race. 8000cals from sports products would be well over 250$AUS in the form of bars, gels and powders.

As someone that used to sell these products, I can say that the majority of people that bought them had more money than sense.

Why buy a product that is named after a fruit, coloured like a fruit, tastes like a fruit, smells like a fruit yet has less nutrition and costs up to 500% more?

This was Columbia's menu for a Tour de France stage:

TEAM COLUMBIA MENU

STAGE 17, TOUR DE FRANCE 2008

Breakfast

• Banana (1)
• Muesli (150 gr)
• Pasta (150 gr -- weight is non-cooked)
• Croissant with chocolate (1)
• Coffee (250 ml)
• Soy milk (300 gr)
• Mixed fruits (200 gr)
• Orange juice (300 ml)

Pre-race

• Pasta (150 gr)
• Water (500 ml)

Race

• PowerBar (4)
• Fruit cake (100 gr)
• PowerBar carbo drink (4000 ml)
• PowerBar energy gels (4)
• Coca-Cola (400 ml)
• Turkey sandwich (2)
• Water (1000 ml)

Post-race

• Recovery drink (500 ml)
• Turkey sandwich (1)
• PowerBar (1)
• Coca-Cola (330 ml)
• Fruit cake (100 gr)
• Water (400 ml)

Dinner

• Mixed vegetables (200 gr)
• Pasta (200 gr)
• Chicken breast (250 gr)
• Sauce (100 gr)
• Plain yogurt (350 gr)
• Mixed fruits (150 gr)
• Water (800 ml)

Pre-sleep

• Gum/sweets (100 gr)
• Chocolate (25 gr)
• Water (500 ml)

Link

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Wigans said:
8 finished or started... doing 2 laps and then running around naked doesn't count.
As I remember it was only one lap, then a BIG rest, then another lap much later on.

But he told everone that he was a winner.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
durianrider said:

this is mostly wrong as an example amino acids generally come from protein sources to say you get all your amino acids from carb sources is completely wrong and bad advice. for most athletes a good diet of fruits vegetables whole grains lean meats poultry fish eggs lean dairy etc.. covers most things. for racing many calorie dense sport supplements can be quite useful as they do not need to be digested like whole foods. in a race you want immediate energy and dont want to be digesting. i like products with at 3 or more sources of carbohydrate in 1 multiple source carbohydrate products are absorbed quickest. for races or rides over 4 hours i like 4 to 1 carb to protein products the aminos supplied by the protein stave off muscle cataboliism on longer rides. this is very basic there are many other useful supplements for athletes that are noticeably helpful with performance and recovery.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
This was Columbia's menu for a Tour de France stage:

TEAM COLUMBIA MENU

STAGE 17, TOUR DE FRANCE 2008

Breakfast

• Banana (1)
• Muesli (150 gr)
• Pasta (150 gr -- weight is non-cooked)
• Croissant with chocolate (1)
• Coffee (250 ml)
• Soy milk (300 gr)
• Mixed fruits (200 gr)
• Orange juice (300 ml)

Pre-race

• Pasta (150 gr)
• Water (500 ml)

Race

• PowerBar (4)
• Fruit cake (100 gr)
• PowerBar carbo drink (4000 ml)
• PowerBar energy gels (4)
• Coca-Cola (400 ml)
• Turkey sandwich (2)
• Water (1000 ml)

Post-race

• Recovery drink (500 ml)
• Turkey sandwich (1)
• PowerBar (1)
• Coca-Cola (330 ml)
• Fruit cake (100 gr)
• Water (400 ml)

Dinner

• Mixed vegetables (200 gr)
• Pasta (200 gr)
• Chicken breast (250 gr)
• Sauce (100 gr)
• Plain yogurt (350 gr)
• Mixed fruits (150 gr)
• Water (800 ml)

Pre-sleep

• Gum/sweets (100 gr)
• Chocolate (25 gr)
• Water (500 ml)

Link

this is a good example whole foods as the main stay off the bike and a mix of simple foods and supplements on the bike. there are lots of other things these guys generally take as well specific non-food supplements.

Forty Four, Robert Millar was Britains best TDF rider. He was a vegetarian.

1. All plant foods contain ALL 8 essential amino acids. If you eat enough WHOLEFOOD carb calories you automatically get enough amino acids.
http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/105/25/e197

2. Here is the vego rider in this years TDF. I bet he doesnt have to pop appetite suppressants to keep his weight down..

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/49...gh-France.aspx July 2010

3. http://www.veganbodybuilding.com is another site that physically proves we get all the protein we need from plant foods minus the cancer/heart diseaes promoting effect of animal products.

Im racing Cat 1 and have won 24hr solo races. Ive put up the links. Any naysayers now? :)

53 x 11 said:
As I remember it was only one lap, then a BIG rest, then another lap much later on.

But he told everone that he was a winner.

Good thing we can prove our race results on line hey?

http://www.murbahcycleclub.org.au/results.php?news=cms/results/1277859516.htm thats me, 5th place, A grade.

Thats me, 1st place, 2008 SA 24hr solo xc champs. Look at the lap splits, can you see a break in that race? Didnt think so.
http://www.bikesa.asn.au/servlet/Web?s=2060570&action=changePage&pageID=59276389

You got any results worthy of sharing bro? Do you even race? or are you too protein deficient? :)

forty four said:
this is a good example whole foods as the main stay off the bike and a mix of simple foods and supplements on the bike. there are lots of other things these guys generally take as well specific non-food supplements.

Thats the weird thing 44, you said you wouldnt get all you need from a plant based diet but these athletes in columbia aint eating a plant diet and they still take protein supplements.. :)

Interesting huh?

The ability to critically think is a rare thing these days and looks like you still have it.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
durianrider said:
Good thing we can prove our race results on line hey?

http://www.murbahcycleclub.org.au/results.php?news=cms/results/1277859516.htm thats me, 5th place, A grade.

Thats me, 1st place, 2008 SA 24hr solo xc champs. Look at the lap splits, can you see a break in that race? Didnt think so.
http://www.bikesa.asn.au/servlet/Web?s=2060570&action=changePage&pageID=59276389

You got any results worthy of sharing bro? Do you even race? or are you too protein deficient? :)

Umm, you just posted a link which explained how BRETT ANDERSON, a very good meat eating rider won the DIRTY WEEKEND, which is not the SA 24hr solo xc champs.

The event you talk about doesn't exist. The dirty weekend though is an event characterized by weak fields and one where I've regularly seen you get your arse kicked at when anyone with a bit of determination turns up.

And fifth place in an A grade race against such big names, man, max respect, you defiantly are qualified to teach me about nutrition.

As for my results, what do they matter. Suffice to say that they are better than yours, much better. But I'm not lecturing people about nutrition or training, just pointing out that you're full of it so what do my results matter.

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Come on Durian Rider, let's stop handpicking results and just choose the first three of yours that show up via Google.

2009 Australian 24hr Champs: DNF 17 12:01:31 Harley Johnstone DNF

2005 Mont 24hr: DNF 2 7:48:20 harley johnstone

2002 Canberra Tour, April 26-28; Dnf Harley Johnstone

Now get the prickly stinky fruit out of your a*** and go back to trolling at the back of your country bike club pack.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Wigans said:
Come on Durian Rider, let's stop handpicking results and just choose the first three of yours that show up via Google.

2009 Australian 24hr Champs: DNF 17 12:01:31 Harley Johnstone DNF

2005 Mont 24hr: DNF 2 7:48:20 harley johnstone

2002 Canberra Tour, April 26-28; Dnf Harley Johnstone

Now get the prickly stinky fruit out of your a*** and go back to trolling at the back of your country bike club pack.

According to Harley

"I am unbeatable in my state for 24 hour bike races." :rolleyes:

And lets not forget his much (self)publicized attempt to beat the record for riding around Australia. How far did he get folks? From Adelaide to Geelong in ONLY ten days!

Eat whatever you want, thats fine, just spin so much bull****. Your lies insult people who can actually ride.

53 x 11 said:
Umm, you just posted a link which explained how BRETT ANDERSON, a very good meat eating rider won the DIRTY WEEKEND, which is not the SA 24hr solo xc champs.

The event you talk about doesn't exist. The dirty weekend though is an event characterized by weak fields and one where I've regularly seen you get your arse kicked at when anyone with a bit of determination turns up.

And fifth place in an A grade race against such big names, man, max respect, you defiantly are qualified to teach me about nutrition.

As for my results, what do they matter. Suffice to say that they are better than yours, much better. But I'm not lecturing people about nutrition or training, just pointing out that you're full of it so what do my results matter.

2008 and 2002 1st place me.
2001/2004 2nd place me.
2009 6th.
Its not the SA champs, wow, there is another 24hr race in South Oz?
It was 3 days tosser, 1070km in 3 days..

I just got told who you are. Look forward to seeing you out on the road and then we will see how smart you are face to face.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
durianrider said:
2008 and 2002 1st place me.
2001/2004 2nd place me.
2009 6th.
Its not the SA champs, wow, there is another 24hr race in South Oz?
It was 3 days tosser, 1070km in 3 days..

I just got told who you are. Look forward to seeing you out on the road and then we will see how smart you are face to face.

Oh damn, my cover blown!

If you know who I am, then you know that I know you.

And you also know that you've told me how you're scamming the dole, that I've seen you eat all kinds of **** while telling people how they should all eat raw fruit.

I don't care what you do, or what you eat just don't spread bullsh*t lies and use this forum to sell your dodgy services tough guy.

You want to have a race? I'll see you at the State Road Champs.

End of story

You wanna talk **** Tim, then do it to my face instead of being fake like you are everytime I see you.

2005 is 5 years ago mate. You seen me eat a tofu burger since?
Yeah getting hit by a bus and being forced to welfare to live below the poverty line is great fun. Living on 200$ a week is a great scam man!

Get your facts right Tim, spend more time on your bike instead of posing in the mirror and stop dribbling **** about me on the net. Heck you got dropped like a pleb at the John Venturi race recently..did you get dropped on the range hill? For someone that trains as much as you do, your a pretty average rider. What you gonna do at the state titles, get dropped again and blame me?

I got 6th in 2002 at the state open road champs. Lets see you do better than that without your fancy pills and whiny attitude.

Maybe stop being a ***** to people that have helped you in the past and put that energy into yourself and see your riding and attitude toward yourself and others improve.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
durianrider said:
You wanna talk **** Tim, then do it to my face instead of being fake like you are everytime I see you.

2005 is 5 years ago mate. You seen me eat a tofu burger since?
Yeah getting hit by a bus and being forced to welfare to live below the poverty line is great fun. Living on 200$ a week is a great scam man!

Get your facts right Tim, spend more time on your bike instead of posing in the mirror and stop dribbling **** about me on the net. Heck you got dropped like a pleb at the John Venturi race recently..did you get dropped on the range hill? For someone that trains as much as you do, your a pretty average rider. What you gonna do at the state titles, get dropped and blame me?

Maybe stop being a ***** to people that have helped you in the past and put that energy into yourself and see what happens.

Angry Harley? Chill, I haven't written anything here that you haven't told me yourself. If I spend so much time in front of the mirror, instead of training, how do I train so much? As you have written here.

I'm not claiming to be great, average or bad. Just myself. I think you'll find that I'm more than aware of my numerous shortcomings. I do resent being called fake though, usually I get called too honest. But then again I'm not the one lieing on the internet.

Yeah, I got dropped like a pleb, probably cos I am. I work hard, don't train much, about 100km a week at the moment, I didn't get dropped on the hill though, I got dropped on the flat. That's life, if you want to look up some of my other results this season I think you'll find that I'm still doing OK. Perhaps I could put up a "eat rubbish and ride 100km a week and still sometimes finish A grade road races" website.

If you want me to remove my posts from this thread I will gladly do so. So long as you remove yours.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
durianrider said:
I got 6th in 2002 at the state open road champs. Lets see you do better than that without your fancy pills and whiny attitude.

More info.

Yeah, my best result is only third in on open championship. Granted that was a crit championship and it had a poor showing. Although one guy did go pos for 'fancy pills' not me though I do it on fresh baked bread and water.

I did get 8th in a Road Champs, not as good as six I agree but then I'm not very proud of this result and it was my first season of racing.

PS. PM me if you wish to argue about who as the biggest ****.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
And if people would like to know what has got me this worked up.

"DurianRider" has actively encouraged people with serious conditions (such as cancer) not to pursue medical treatment but rather to pay him money to tell them how to eat fruit.

I can tolerate a lot of cancer bashing, but not in this reckless manner. I am sure that the cancers survivors I know where somewhat helped by medical treatment no doubt combined with diet and healthy lifestyle.

TRENDING THREADS