• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official "be nice" Lance Armstrong thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Oh, that's easy. Change your name to Thoughtforfood and post some serious troll material like I do, and you will get the dreaded email informing you that you are a bad person who is close to getting smote...or is it smited?

I miss WBT, he got the red card of death. I guess the ban is permanent, but I hope not.

Micropost TFF micropost!

goober said:
This was not pointed at you at all. I know it is fun arguing the opinions. I just like to pick on Mr Food (he knows it - all is good).

No biggie, my pulse isn't even at the green card warning stages. My opinion is that Lance has achieved an iconic status in American culture that is blown out of proportion, it's bloated, it's distorted, it's fake, it's dishonest and it's untrue.

For me, it takes away from His rightful accomplishments on 2 wheels.

The last straw for me was how He went out of his way to drag AC into the mud. That really put me over the line once and for all.

Lance saw He wasn't the best and had to stain the person who was with His own poisonous megalomania.

His image will start to recede now. I think Lance saw it receding over the last 3 years and when His comeback was in jeopardy and He saw the heights of His stature were behind Him, He started lashing out.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall. He is huge and scaled an immense height in a relatively (in America) obscure sport. Look out belooooowwww !!!!!

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ggusta said:
No biggie, my pulse isn't even at the green card warning stages. My opinion is that he has achieved an iconic status in American culture that is blown out of proportion, it's bloated, it's distorted, it's fake, it's dishonest and it's untrue.
For me, it takes away from his rightful accomplishments on 2 wheels.

The last straw for me was how he went out of his way to drag AC into the mud. That really put me over the line once and for all.

Lance saw he wasn't the best and had to stain the person who was with his poisonous megalomania.

His image will start to recede now. I think he saw it receding over the last 3 years and when his comeback was in jeopardy and he saw the heights of his stature were behind him, he started lashing out.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall. He is huge and scaled an immense height in a relatively (in America) obscure sport.

Phew....I thought you were talking about TFF for a second...

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
ggusta said:
No biggie, my pulse isn't even at the green card warning stages. My opinion is that he has achieved an iconic status in American culture that is blown out of proportion, it's bloated, it's distorted, it's fake, it's dishonest and it's untrue.

I dunno, cancer affects millions and to see someone comeback from it the way he did is pretty damn iconic in my mind. What is dishonest and untrue? I agree there are some distortions and bloats.

Carboncrank

BANNED
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Excuse me - I have never attacked anyone over their loyalties to Lance.
As you haven't yet brought up a post where I said anything about the lack of athletic ability of Lance- you can kindly add that to your list too.

I'm so sorry... that wasn't directed at you. I didn't mean for your quote to be in there...
i've fixed it I think.

A

Anonymous

ggusta said:
Guess I should capitalize the 'H' in He whenever referring to His Lance-ness. Sorry. I will go back and clari-mi-fy

(Fixed bad use of pronouns and failure to capitalize deities in prior post.)

Yea man, dang, throw a brother under the bus why dontcha?:D

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
goober said:
I dunno, cancer affects millions and to see someone comeback from it the way he did is pretty damn iconic in my mind. What is dishonest and untrue? I agree there are some distortions and bloats.

Good point to bring us back on point!

I know I for one was hugely impressed that he made it back to Paris Nice in 97. I remember reading the results of the prologue and I thought it was more amazing than GL comeback (not flaming) - as he finished in the top thirdish.

After that it didn't matter if he won 1 or 7 TdF - that first ride back in PN was pretty amazing.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
goober said:

Some people feel it is dishonest and untrue because he achieved his remarkable comeback using dishonest means. This is compounded by the fact the 1999 TdF was labelled the Tour of Redemption after the Festina Affair in 1998, and it was won by Lance who was later found to have taken EPO during this Tour. The excuse that doping was pervasive in the peloton at the time is true, but it still does not lessen the high likelihood that Lance's achievements are not based on natural talent alone and are thus dishonest and untrue.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Dr Ferrari only took a supremely talented athlete and made him stronger. I have said all along that I believe that on clean field, he still wins.

I'm not so sure about this. In a clean field he doesn't have 6 of his team around him on the final climb of the day riding such a fast tempo that no-one can attack. In a clean field he climbs like he did pre-cancer in the tour - below average.
If you mean he still wins the classics then I can see there is good evidence for this.
I think he was an extraordinary responder - maybe the best, to Dr Ferrari's exclusively prepared "training plans", "body fat tests" etc etc.

As I began my research for my magnum opus thread post. I came across this, which I don't know if it was already thoroughly batted around by y'all like a bunch o' kitties with a new ball of yarn:

http://www.riskybusinessblog.com/2009/06/lance-armstrong-movie-matt-damon-seabiscuit.html

(Aside: btw, I never finish any of my magnum opus thread posts, the one area where my perfectionism paralyzes me. but if i posted it.....boy howdy, it would probably bring out the admins on about 10 threads.)

Carboncrank

BANNED
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Good one! Tell you what, if I do actual psychological damage to someone, that is a reflection of their problems, not mine. If I push your buttons, the problem isn't me pushing, it is the fact that the buttons are attached in the first place.

I can assure you that nothing anyone says here directly affects my image of myself. I quit giving people that right when I grew up. I take responsibility for my actions, and sometimes do things that I wish I hadn't. I chalk that up to what they call "being human" and leave it at that. If I genuinely felt I had harmed someone here, I would ask forgiveness. (as I did with RTT on DPF. I don't like her, but I did something that contributed to a real problem for her, and while that was not my intention, I was partially responsible and I admitted that, asked forgiveness, and moved on.) The fact is that I go on the belief that I am not really that important to any of you considering the form of correspondence isn't geared towards real personal relationships (which sometimes can form over time, but rarely to the extent we have them in our physical lives). The social parameters here are different for a reason, and it has less to do with actual personality and much more to do with medium. I guess you haven't figured that out yet?

Let me say, that if anything I said actually affected your life in a real way, you need to go talk to someone. Wear life like a loose garment, not a skin suit. I can assure you that even when I get angry, I blow it off pretty easily, and I don't hold REAL grudges about what anyone says. This place is like a magnifying glass, take it as such and you will be much happier.

As for you mending fences? Don't be disingenuous. You could generally care less. People have tired of you and left, others you've baited until they were banned, others have you on ignore. Your reputation is wider than this forum.
Emotion a person feels about what someone says about them is real whether it happens on the internet or in person. You accept no responsiblity for that and hide behind the anonymity that shields you from the consequences of your words. It's not excusable and can't be written off just because you want to claim it's all in good fun. You're not a dumb guy but you have the personality of an adolescent. A few find you amusing, some have offered you the woodshed.
Sorry, I'm not one that suffers fools gladly.
Just so we're on the same page.

ggusta said:
As I began my research for my magnum opus thread post. I came across this, which I don't know if it was already thoroughly batted around by y'all like a bunch o' kitties with a new ball of yarn:

http://www.riskybusinessblog.com/2009/06/lance-armstrong-movie-matt-damon-seabiscuit.html

(Aside: btw, I never finish any of my magnum opus thread posts, the one area where my perfectionism paralyzes me. but if i posted it.....boy howdy, it would probably bring out the admins on about 10 threads.)

Still going for the thread closing world record?

ggusta said:

This. will. be. awesome.
Esp. if this goes the hagiography route. Can't wait to see the depiction of French and dope testers. Probably something with moustaches, bad accents, and an hate for winners :D

"Now you wile go donne, Monsieur Armstrong, si eau aï put this EPO in your pee pee"
"Argh you monster! By the holy power of high cadeeeeeeence!"

A

Anonymous

Carboncrank said:
As for you mending fences? Don't be disingenuous. You could generally care less. People have tired of you and left, others you've baited until they were banned, others have you on ignore. Your reputation is wider than this forum.
Emotion a person feels about what someone says about them is real whether it happens on the internet or in person. You accept no responsiblity for that and hide behind the anonymity that shields you from the consequences of your words. It's not excusable and can't be written off just because you want to claim it's all in good fun. You're not a dumb guy but you have the personality of an adolescent. A few find you amusing, some have offered you the woodshed.
Sorry, I'm not one that suffers fools gladly.
Just so we're on the same page.

BAWHAHAHAHAHA

Dang, you think a lot of me.

As for the woodshed, yea, I offered to actually meet the last guy who tried the whole "you would get your ass beat" shtick to meet me in person. He lives in my city. He showed what all people such as that show, cowardice. I assure you this, if you lived in Charlotte, I would GLADLY offer you the same. You ever come here and want a go, please feel free to email me because I can assure we will find a time and place to meet. I don't take words personally in reality, but physical threats, I am tired of them. As for jackhammer, he got himself banned for being a douche.

Now, past that, if you cannot let your emotions go, that isn't my problem. The reality is that I don't know you in real life, so anything I say has a farcical nature. If it doesn't to you, I would again suggest speaking with someone. I don't accept your "emotions" as having anything to do with me. Those were developed on your own time. If you can't handle them, that again has nothing to do with me.

Edit: I think carbon might be jackhammer with a new IP or something. Tell you what jack, you agree to leave my posts alone, I will agree to do the same. I don't have a problem with that in the slightest.

As for the insults, I will sincerely try to stop on this thread.

Thoughtforfood said:
BAWHAHAHAHAHA

Dang, you think a lot of me.

As for the woodshed, yea, I offered to actually meet the last guy who tried the whole "you would get your ass beat" shtick to meet me in person. He lives in my city. He showed what all people such as that show, cowardice. I assure you this, if you lived in Charlotte, I would GLADLY offer you the same. You ever come here and want a go, please feel free to email me because I can assure we will find a time and place to meet. I don't take words personally in reality, but threats, I am tired of them. As for jackhammer, he got himself banned for being a douche.

Now, past that, if you cannot let your emotions go, that isn't my problem. The reality is that I don't know you in real life, so anything I say has a farcical nature. If it doesn't to you, I would again suggest speaking with someone. I don't accept your "emotions" as having anything to do with me. Those were developed on your own time. If you can't handle them, that again has nothing to do with me.

You obviously suffer a fool all day long, you just need to look in the mirror.

boys, boys !!! You are gonna get the thread shut down!

My Lance statue mounted on my stem ..... he is looking so sad ......

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Hmm a question if I may.

Why do we need a Lance Thread and only a Lance thread why not a Baden Cooke etc thread too or is LA a shareholder in cyclingnews or said he wont give an exclusive interview if he doesn't have his own thread?

A

Anonymous

ggusta said:
boys, boys !!! You are gonna get the thread shut down!

My Lance statue mounted on my stem ..... he is looking so sad ......

I will try man, I will try.

I think some people take me speaking honestly as insult however, and I cannot control that.

Thoughtforfood said:
I will try man, I will try.

I think some people take me speaking honestly as insult however, and I cannot control that.

Well I called this thread. Go blow up some other thread.

Or else you might get me speaking honestly, and I don't mind traveling to Charlotte.... (well actually I do, but it sounds cooler to say I don't....it's this knee, after a couple hours, it just sort of stiffens....) and when I get there, wooo doggy, the lesson of the day will be pain (unless I take my anti-inflammatory and do all my stretches while I drive)

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
Hmm a question if I may.

Why do we need a Lance Thread and only a Lance thread why not a Baden Cooke etc thread too or is LA a shareholder in cyclingnews or said he wont give an exclusive interview if he doesn't have his own thread?

Feel free to start a Baden Cooke thread. I think you will get your answer very quickly.

Azdak6 said:
Feel free to start a Baden Cooke thread. I think you will get your answer very quickly.

If by that you are trying to say that a cycling icon such as Baden Cooke is not worthy of the same sort of intense scrutinty, nay mindless idolatry or abject hatred as Lance (the King) Armstrong, then you and I are going to have a problem sir.