• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official "be nice" Lance Armstrong thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Carboncrank said:
The only meaningful measure of his supposed failure would be the result of the race.

If you want to deny that the 9 time winner of the Tour de France knows what he's doing you do so at the risk of your own credibility.

The only meaningful measure would be the results - in Your opinion!

I was commenting on the fact he is described as a great DS - he has always had the best rider in LA. He also recognised the talent in a young AC, however my post clearly stated how he handled AC and LA - which was not a success.

Dr. Maserati said:

I was commenting on the fact he is described as a great DS - he has always had the best rider in LA. He also recognised the talent in a young AC, however my post clearly stated how he handled AC and LA - which was not a success.

JB is very analagous to Phil Jackson coach, formerly of the bulls, now of the Lakers, specifically with reference to the Kobe v. Shaq 'debacle'.

I am sorry. I implied there are other sports. I will go serve my penance now and stand at the Lance shrine in the corner of my bathroom.

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
ggusta said:
Armstrong? I don't see him attack very much, does anyone else see him do that? I know I am no nobel laureate or anything, but did he attack much this year? I did see him catch the break on stage 3. I wonder if he and Johan communicated that to AC, because ya' know, like Lance says, AC jus ain't two smurt.

How often did he attack bw on the ventoux?

Bingo! I was looking for some conjecture that would help to make sense of everthing and I think this post hits on it. I've read all 18 pages (whew!) and no one really makes a suggestion as to what might have been going on in reality. Personally, I found it very strange, at the time, since it almost seemed planned in a way, that Mr. Armstrong, alone, made the break in stage 3, especially since the TTT was scheduled for the following day and all the Astana team members were likely to pick up time on Cancellara. By some twist of fate, however, a hundreth of a second, in fact, Armstrong was not awarded the maillot jaune after the TTT, but one is left wondering about the possibility that if he had, whether or not Bruyneel would have obligated Contador to ride in support of Armstrong as being the strongest rider. I guess what I am asking is, was this their plan all along? Surmising this, perhaps, Contador decided to attack on Arcalis, since it was the first and maybe his last chance to bring an end to the shenanigans. I was particularly struck by Armstrong’s statement after that stage that “it was not the plan” for Contador to attack on Arcalis, only to be contradicted the following morning by Bruyneel, who related that if Contador saw the possibility to attack that he should take it. It seemed to evidence that their “plan” had changed over night by necessity, since their original plan was now out the window and it would have been absurd to echo Armstrong’s statement from the day earlier without having to admit that there was such a plan. Obviously, I am very disappointed with Mr. Armstrong's over all behavior, but I do not feel that we have truly sounded the depth of it.

A

Anonymous

Carboncrank said:
The only meaningful measure of his supposed failure would be the result of the race.

If you want to deny that the 9 time winner of the Tour de France knows what he's doing you do so at the risk of your own credibility.

Explain the tactical genius used by The Hog to win. I don't mean the management of the team in terms of acquiring riders (and lets face it, we know who wore the pants in that part of the relationship) or landing sponsors. Show us the actual tactical genius used to make sure the strongest rider in the peloton win the race. Then prove that it couldn't have been done without him. Because anyone could have won the Tour with Lance and Alberto as their leader. Even someone like you.

JB has strings attached to each appendage, and The Uniballer holds the strings. Always been that way, and this year is even further proof. The man wasn't capable of getting behind the strongest rider in the race fully because Lance wouldn't let him. He is a weak, soggy noodle of a man.

Carboncrank

BANNED
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

I thought people around here though he was just a second class rider until Johan and Dr Ferrari came along?

Now, it's, Johan has always had the best rider.

You admit now he was the best rider?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Carboncrank said:
I thought people around here though he was just a second class rider until Johan and Dr Ferrari came along?

Please point to a post where I have ever said that Armstrong was not an excellent athlete!
I know you believe you are on one side of an arguement - there is more than one side. There are a lot of posters here who have the objectivity to look at more than one side of an argument.

He wasn't a second class rider when he met Dr. Ferrari - he just wasn't a potential GT winner.

Carboncrank

BANNED
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Explain the tactical genius used by The Hog to win. I don't mean the management of the team in terms of acquiring riders (and lets face it, we know who wore the pants in that part of the relationship) or landing sponsors. Show us the actual tactical genius used to make sure the strongest rider in the peloton win the race. Then prove that it couldn't have been done without him. Because anyone could have won the Tour with Lance and Alberto as their leader. Even someone like you.

JB has strings attached to each appendage, and The Uniballer holds the strings. Always been that way, and this year is even further proof. The man wasn't capable of getting behind the strongest rider in the race fully because Lance wouldn't let him. He is a weak, soggy noodle of a man.

I thought you too were of the opinion Johan and Ferrari were the evil geniuses that took this nobody and made him into Secretariat?
Which is it? Lance was alway that good making the soggy noodle look good? or Johan the brilliant mad scientist made Lance?

A

Anonymous

Carboncrank said:

No, just until Dr Ferrari came along.

I have never said he wasn't talented before cancer. Quite the contrary, I thought he was really talented as a rider. The seeds of my dislike were sown then, even though I was a fan right up until he chased down Simeoni. I still remember the awkwardness I felt as he rode in to win the stage after Casartelli's death. I could see even then that he was a person who presented emotions he didn't actually feel. Then after reading "It's All About Lance" it was clear that he was a ball busting narcissist. Then he chased down Simeoni and I just couldn't take anymore. He is a sick, sick puppy. A walking encyclopedia of psychological abnormalities. He will never see it though, his malignant self love is cemented at this point. I don't say this to be mean, but it will be interesting to see how his kids turn out.

A

Anonymous

Carboncrank said:
I thought you too were of the opinion Johan and Ferrari were the evil geniuses that took this nobody and made him into Secretariat?
Which is it? Lance was alway that good making the soggy noodle look good? or Johan the brilliant mad scientist made Lance?

I never said that, and you will not find anywhere I did. If you need to make shit up to prove a point, you already lost.

Dr Ferrari only took a supremely talented athlete and made him stronger. I have said all along that I believe that on clean field, he still wins.

Carboncrank

BANNED
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboncrank

Dr. Maserati said:
Please point to a post where I have ever said that Armstrong was not an excellent athlete!
I know you believe you are on one side of an arguement - there is more than one side. There are a lot of posters here who have the objectivity to look at more than one side of an argument.

He wasn't a second class rider when he met Dr. Ferrari - he just wasn't a potential GT winner.

you danced around it and try having it both ways.

you say he wasn't a potential GT winner but he won 7 in a row.
you're saying he hasn't always been the best rider and Johan made him. which gives credit to the guy you are discrediting.
and makes johan... a great DS

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Carboncrank said:
Quote:] you danced around it and try having it both ways.

you say he wasn't a potential GT winner but he won 7 in a row.
you're saying he hasn't always been the best rider and Johan made him. which gives credit to the guy you are discrediting.
and makes johan... a great DS

I did not dance around it - I clearly answered your question....

I said Dr. Ferrari not JB - big difference!
As for dancing - well you appear to have danced around my first question.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

I have never said he wasn't talented before cancer. Quite the contrary, I thought he was really talented as a rider. The seeds of my dislike were sown then, even though I was a fan right up until he chased down Simeoni. I still remember the awkwardness I felt as he rode in to win the stage after Casartelli's death. I could see even then that he was a person who presented emotions he didn't actually feel. Then after reading "It's All About Lance" it was clear that he was a ball busting narcissist. Then he chased down Simeoni and I just couldn't take anymore. He is a sick, sick puppy. A walking encyclopedia of psychological abnormalities. He will never see it though, his malignant self love is cemented at this point. I don't say this to be mean, but it will be interesting to see how his kids turn out.

I thought chasing down Simeoni was the highlight of his career! Why are you so infatuated with Lance's personality or emotions. Get over it. Get a life. :D

Carboncrank

BANNED
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

Thoughtforfood said:

I'd never claim Lance as perfect but, there's alot more documented in your own words in this forum about your own psychological abmoralities with your insults and attacks on anyone you see fit, than there is in Lance's record. Lance vs Simeoni pales in comparison to insults and injuries you continually dish out on here. Your posts are here for anyone to read. Someone should do a greatest hits version just for the record.
You need to take a look in the mirror bub.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Cool little article. http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1008133/index.htm

I was talking with some guys at work telling them about when I was going to Virginia Tech, the Tour DuPont came through Blacksburg, Roanoke, VA area while I was there in the early to mid 90's. I was working at the Mariott in Roanoke at the time(Bartender at night--Electrical Engineer student during the day!!), and the tour basically stayed there for the night, so I got to meet alot of the riders. Since following cycling since 85-86 or so, I was like a kid in a candy store getting to meet all the riders.

laura.weislo

Administrator
Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
yellowCard.jpg

Reminder - this is the "be nice" LA thread. I feel the trend leaning toward name-calling and insults between forumites... no personal insults!

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Carboncrank said:
I'd never claim Lance as perfect but, there's alot more documented in your own words in this forum about your own psychological abmoralities with your insults and attacks on anyone you see fit, than there is in Lance's record. Lance vs Simeoni pales in comparison to insults and injuries you continually dish out on here. Your posts are here for anyone to read. Someone should do a greatest hits version just for the record.

Excuse me - I have never attacked anyone over their loyalties to Lance.
As you haven't yet brought up a post where I said anything about the lack of athletic ability of Lance- you can kindly add that to your list too.

goober said:
I thought chasing down Simeoni was the highlight of his career! Why are you so infatuated with Lance's personality or emotions. Get over it. Get a life. :D

Goob, can you understand that his personality and his actions OFF THE ROAD in this year's tour certainly are what are animating people? Some of the thread is dedicated to the racing, but mostly as a supplement to people's opinions about him and whether he handled AC fairly and vice versa.

I think everyone has pretty much made up their mind before arriving here on Lance, AC, JB .... you name it. Doesn't stop us. It's fun. If it stops being fun (probably in a day or two, for me) I'll drift away. You can always check back then if this is no fun for you. It's just opinions and emotions, pal. It doesn't take a certified hvac technician to see no one's position gets changed by the discussion.

Infatuated? Haven't been infatuated since I was 17, and that was NO man! Gosh, I'd love to be infatuated like that again.

A

Anonymous

Carboncrank said:

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Good one! Tell you what, if I do actual psychological damage to someone, that is a reflection of their problems, not mine. If I push your buttons, the problem isn't me pushing, it is the fact that the buttons are attached in the first place.

I can assure you that nothing anyone says here directly affects my image of myself. I quit giving people that right when I grew up. I take responsibility for my actions, and sometimes do things that I wish I hadn't. I chalk that up to what they call "being human" and leave it at that. If I genuinely felt I had harmed someone here, I would ask forgiveness. (as I did with RTT on DPF. I don't like her, but I did something that contributed to a real problem for her, and while that was not my intention, I was partially responsible and I admitted that, asked forgiveness, and moved on.) The fact is that I go on the belief that I am not really that important to any of you considering the form of correspondence isn't geared towards real personal relationships (which sometimes can form over time, but rarely to the extent we have them in our physical lives). The social parameters here are different for a reason, and it has less to do with actual personality and much more to do with medium. I guess you haven't figured that out yet?

Let me say, that if anything I said actually affected your life in a real way, you need to go talk to someone. Wear life like a loose garment, not a skin suit. I can assure you that even when I get angry, I blow it off pretty easily, and I don't hold REAL grudges about what anyone says. This place is like a magnifying glass, take it as such and you will be much happier.

A

Anonymous

richwagmn said:
OMG, yellow card!!!! ;-)

What does a red card get you?

Oh, that's easy. Change your name to Thoughtforfood and post some serious troll material like I do, and you will get the dreaded email informing you that you are a bad person who is close to getting smote...or is it smited?

I miss WBT, he got the red card of death. I guess the ban is permanent, but I hope not.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
ggusta said:
Goob, can you understand that his personality and his actions OFF THE ROAD in this year's tour certainly are what are animating people? Some of the thread is dedicated to the racing, but mostly as a supplement to people's opinions about him and whether he handled AC fairly and vice versa.

I think everyone has pretty much made up their mind before arriving here on Lance, AC, JB .... you name it. Doesn't stop us. It's fun. If it stops being fun (probably in a day or two, for me) I'll drift away. You can always check back then if this is no fun for you. It's just opinions and emotions, pal. It doesn't take a certified hvac technician to see no one's position gets changed by the discussion.

Infatuated? Haven't been infatuated since I was 17, and that was NO man! Gosh, I'd love to be infatuated like that again.

This was not pointed at you at all. I know it is fun arguing the opinions. I just like to pick on Mr Food (he knows it - all is good).