• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official lance armstrong thread, part 2 (from september 2012)

Page 128 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
thehog said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/05/s...g-said-to-weigh-admission-of-doping.html?_r=0

Armstrong, 41, has been in discussions with the United States Anti-Doping Agency and has met with Travis Tygart, the agency’s chief executive, in an effort to mitigate the lifetime ban he received for playing a lead role in doping on his Tour-winning teams, according to one person briefed on the situation.

Armstrong is also seeking to meet with David Howman, the director general of the World Anti-Doping Agency, that person said.

Herman denied that Armstrong was talking to Tygart.

None of the people with knowledge of Armstrong’s situation wanted their names published because it would jeopardize their access to information on the matter.

Tygart declined to comment. Howman, who is on vacation in New Zealand, did not immediately respond to a phone call and an e-mail.

Armstrong has been under pressure from various fronts to come clean. Wealthy supporters of Livestrong, the charity he founded after surviving testicular cancer, have been trying to convince him to come forward so he could clear his conscience and save the organization from further damage, one person with knowledge of the situation said.

The timeline for Armstrong’s deciding whether to confess is unclear, but it is partly based on whether the United States Justice Department will join the whistle-blower lawsuit, which was filed under the False Claims Act. The sole plaintiff of that lawsuit is Floyd Landis, Armstrong’s former Postal Service teammate who was stripped of the 2006 Tour de France title for doping.

If the Justice Department also becomes a plaintiff, the case would be more formidable than if Landis pursued the case alone. Landis stands to collect up to 30 percent of any money won in the case, which could be in the millions. The team’s contract with the Postal Service from 2000 to 2004 was more than $30 million.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/05/s...g-said-to-weigh-admission-of-doping.html?_r=0

thehog said:

The media thirst for Rise--Fall--Redemption must be slaked. "Cycling" needs closure so that it can "move on" and put this mess "in the past." After all, things are "much better now" than they were in "Lance's Era."

Lance surely isn't making any money as a liar. Maybe he can earn a little money from a nice heartfelt confession.

I'm sure Oprah's door is always open. Put her on the speed-dial, Lance!

From Juliet Macur's article:
But what worries Armstrong and his lawyers the most, two of the people with knowledge of the situation said, is that he could be facing criminal charges of perjury if he confesses because he had given sworn depositions in the SCA case that he had never doped.

Before coming forward, Armstrong would need assurances from the Department of Justice that he would not be prosecuted for those crimes, those two people said.
Based on http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/98-808.pdf, the federal code regarding perjury only applies to perjury associatated with federal court matters. Of course the SCA arbitration was a civil matter, involving a contract, so it isn't at all clear what the two people were speaking of.

Texas has a statute that could apply. If Armstrong confesses, he could be prosecuted for perjury,which is a misdemeanor. Texas also has an aggravated perjury statute, which would be a felony. It has (as most perjury laws do) a requirement that the false statement must be material, which is generally interpreted to mean that it would have affected the outcome of the proceedings. This would in my opinion be difficult to show, given that SCA has publicly said that the original contract had no doping clause. In other words, if he had admitted to doping, SCA would still have needed to settle. My guess is that a perjury conviction is not one of Armstrong's major concerns which would impede a confession.

I think his nature is the primary impediment.

BTW, IANAL, but I did Google for 15 minutes.....

ETA: Another 15 minutes of Googling turned up the opposite-- the feds could prosecute. although the materiality issue is still problematic.

This apparent change of course really seems to indicate how chaotic and unplanned Lance's decisionmaking process has been. It appears to confirm, for me at least, that Lance hasn't been following the expensive advice of his media advisors.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
From the moment he stepped down from being the Livestrong chairman, I knew he's on track for a confession. You don't step away from the baby you built from scratch unless the allegations were true.

His confession, if anything, will only be damage control. He lost all his Tours, all his sponsors, even his own company wants nothing to do with him. And he lost a big chunk of his supporters. So now he knows that silence doesn't work. The court of public opinion actually worked against him. He has become a joke. And LA's ego doesn't allow him to be a joke. His back is against the wall, and confession is the only way for him to save a bit of face. He won't confess because he has a guilty conscience or he knew what he did was wrong. He will only do it for narcissistic reasons.

At least Cycling will get some closure, that's better than nothing.

veganrob said:
According to the World Anti-Doping Code, an athlete might be eligible for a reduced punishment if he fully confesses and details how he doped, who helped him dope and how he got away with doping.

Uh oh, could spell trouble for JB

Wonder if this will include: ALL of the people he's intimidated, bullied, screwed over, been a **** to, etc. What would be friggin hysterical, is if Greg Lemond added his name to any lawsuits or cases against Wonderboy, for Wonderboy basically sabotaging his business w/Trek. Wonderboys douchiness is the main reason I'll NEVER consider buying any Trek products ever, not to mention what he and Trek did to Greg(& the sport)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
I just lurked over at Slowditch, and the tide seems to have turned. Still, people like Dan will embrace Wonderboy because people who stand to gain financially will always embrace a cash cow, but at least the rank and file are starting to smell the coffee it seems.

Are tri's going rogue just so they can get Lance to participate?
what about our friends at the Daily Peloton. What happened to Chris H and House and Whareagle. These guys were the enablers. Without these folk selling the myth, he never wields the power.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/s...n-web-he-created-cyclist-deserves-no-sympathy

He's no champion. He's no hero. He's no role model. He's no inspiration for genuinely suffering human beings who wrestle with mortality, pain, loss and the temptation to make wrong into right, to make the righteous end justify the dishonorable means.

Lance Armstrong is nothing more than a liar, a cheat, a thug, a bully. He draped himself in the American flag, adorned himself with the trappings of a great sportsman and posed as a general in the war against cancer.

andy1234 said:
Still badly confused?

Armstrong is as relevant as toeclips.

Don't let that stop you hanging off his every word though.

He must love it.......

Not sure he's lovin' it.

He's doing hard time in isolation.

Not a happy place.

Alas ChewyD was right in his assertions. Now and in the past.

He who laughs last, laughs loudest.

Lance isn't laughing.

thehog said:
Not sure he's lovin' it.

He's doing hard time in isolation.

Not a happy place.

Alas ChewyD was right in his assertions. Now and in the past.

He who laughs last, laughs loudest.

Lance isn't laughing.

I can't take a thing you say seriously
Any truths you may have to offer, have been long hidden by all the lies....

May 27, 2012
Visit site
andy1234 said:
Still badly confused?

Armstrong is as relevant as toeclips.

Don't let that stop you hanging off his every word though.

He must love it.......

He is significant enough for you to come troll a forum topic about him.

Not too keen on the whole self-awareness thing, hmmm?

I fine many of his fanbois are as pathetically incapable of seeing who they truly are as is Armstrong. Water seeks its own level I guess?

andy1234 said:
I can't take a thing you say seriously
Any truths you may have to offer, have been long hidden by all the lies....

Alas I was right about Armstrong all along.

Some just didn't want to believe.

Yourself included.

You can only see what you want to see.

My position didn't change from 1999 onwards. I was always right.

thehog said:
Alas I was right about Armstrong all along.

Some just didn't want to believe.

Yourself included.

You can only see what you want to see.

My position didn't change from 1999 onwards. I was always right.

A broken clock is correct twice a day.
The rest of the time they are useless.

TRENDING THREADS