• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 302 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
King Boonen said:
As for peptides, it's a long time since I did amino acid chemistry but yes, I seem to remember they are relatively easy to make as long as they are small so conformation does not come into it. amino acids can also be bought very cheaply through Sigma Aldrich or similar suppliers. Perfectly possible someone if producing those...

Actually, you can just order short peptides custom synthesized from a lab. Just specify the sequence you want, e.g., L-A-N-C-E (lysine-alanine-asparagine-cysteine-glutamic acid), C-H-R-I-S (cysteine-histidine-arginine-isoleucine-serine) or W-I-G-G-Y (tryptophan-isoleucine-glycine-glycine-tyrosine).

Merckx index said:
Actually, you can just order short peptides custom synthesized from a lab. Just specify the sequence you want, e.g., L-A-N-C-E (lysine-alanine-asparagine-cysteine-glutamic acid), C-H-R-I-S (cysteine-histidine-arginine-isoleucine-serine) or W-I-G-G-Y (tryptophan-isoleucine-glycine-glycine-tyrosine).

Good point. Although I would assume there are restrictions on ones that are known to be biologically active?

We see a huge number of possible peptides in data sets, if I get chance I may start digging into some of the known ones and see if they turn up in any of them.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
peptides

Making pharmaceutical grade peptides can be just as difficult as small molecule drugs. The purification is always the tricky part and might not be part of the patent.

If you just order your favorite peptide from a generic synthesis company, they'll probably send it to you as a powder. Knowing the formulation, dosage, and administration method for performance enhancement is a whole other ball game.

I think the current crop of dopers are probably enabled by the similar people as Lance was, and these people have access to the pharm. grade material and knowledge.

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
biokemguy said:
Making pharmaceutical grade peptides can be just as difficult as small molecule drugs. The purification is always the tricky part and might not be part of the patent.

If you just order your favorite peptide from a generic synthesis company, they'll probably send it to you as a powder. Knowing the formulation, dosage, and administration method for performance enhancement is a whole other ball game.

I think the current crop of dopers are probably enabled by the similar people as Lance was, and these people have access to the pharm. grade material and knowledge.

Just need to clear something up.

EPO is very difficult to produce because of its post-translational modifications (glycosylation). It can't be produces in bacteria like HGH & insulin or easily purified from urine/animal parts.

EPO isn't your run of the mill protein.

http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/content/22/10/2749.full

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Good point. Although I would assume there are restrictions on ones that are known to be biologically active?

We see a huge number of possible peptides in data sets, if I get chance I may start digging into some of the known ones and see if they turn up in any of them.

There's been a lot of mimetic peptides produced for EPO in the last 20 years, but only a few have gone to clinical trials. Most of them, like Hematide, are further modified to make them more stable in the blood stream.

Here's a nice screen that resulted in identification of EPO mimetic peptides=
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC22127/

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Berzin said:
None of this has anything to do with Armstrong, so please-enough of this off-topic talk.

Sorry Berzin. Just wanted to clear up the difficulty of EPO production.

Conversation started to get off topic here:

Oldman said:
I heard from reliable sources that LA was going to name names at Amgen that assisted him with "new versions" of the drug. Apparently Weisel facilitated the meetings and it's all on tape...

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
SCA filed a motion last Friday seeking to have the stay partially lifted to allow the deposition of Armstrong to go forward, even if the arbitration proceeding is temporarily stayed pending the appeal. It contends Armstrong failed to offer any evidence how he would be harmed by having the deposition fo forward, other than the usual time/expense argument.

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Kennf1 said:
SCA filed a motion last Friday seeking to have the stay partially lifted to allow the deposition of Armstrong to go forward, even if the arbitration proceeding is temporarily stayed pending the appeal. It contends Armstrong failed to offer any evidence how he would be harmed by having the deposition fo forward, other than the usual time/expense argument.

I wish I could use the argument that my time is too valuable every time I am asked to clean the house.

1112.gif

Now we might be getting somewhere! Come on Lance, chuck the Hog under the bus too while you're there.

Throwing Emma under the bus out of spite or was she really a contributor? Most likely she was in on it, but how can anybody like Armstrong's (their) credibility?

"told" Carmichael about his doping? Maybe he was even second rate at doping and therefore out of the loop.

Armstrong has not paid or offered to pay someone to keep his or others' doping a secret," he stated. "However, Armstrong has, on occasion, provided benefits or made contributions to many people and institutions, some of whom may have been aware of, or suspected Armstrong's use of performance-enhancing drugs and banned methods

He never extended his benefits to Flandis:D

del1962 said:
Armstrong has not paid or offered to pay someone to keep his or others' doping a secret," he stated. "However, Armstrong has, on occasion, provided benefits or made contributions to many people and institutions, some of whom may have been aware of, or suspected Armstrong's use of performance-enhancing drugs and banned methods

That is coming pretty close to admitting a nod, nod, wink, wink payoff arrangement.

Also coming pretty close to admitting the hospital incident.

If we give him long enough, he may actually tell the truth.

Dave.

D-Queued said:
That is coming pretty close to admitting a nod, nod, wink, wink payoff arrangement.

Also coming pretty close to admitting the hospital incident.

If we give him long enough, he may actually tell the truth.

Dave.

Nope. Doesn't need to. That was a masterfully worded non-admission-admission he did pay off the hospital to have witnesses disappear.

Interesting that it appears he well and truly seems to recall some filtered-through-lawyers facts.

Armstrong also refers to his cycling team's general mananger, Mark Gorski, and former cyclist Chris Carmichael in his answers in the Acceptance case.

"As for Mr. Gorski, it is Armstrong's belief that he was aware of doping by the USPS team," Armstrong states. "Mr. Armstrong told Chris Carmichael in 1995 of his use of PEDs."

Mark Gorski is another fraudster that got off clean.