• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 558 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I consider Betsy a friend, and I think she would say the same of me. If you know her in any depth, you know that the one thing she is not is intentionally dishonest. (The same cannot be said of Armstrong at just about any point in his life) If she made a statement that was not factually correct, it wasn't because she knew it was factually incorrect, and said it anyway. In all honesty, I have never seen her say anything that I would consider dishonest even under those circumstances. She also uses the forum she is given by others to voice opinions on topics she is asked about. Betsy doesn't own a radio station or TV station, or any media outlet that i know of. Sure, her FB friends list is long and whenever she posts something, there is generally a lot of response regardless of the topic, but I would say that a great majority of those people sent her friend requests, not the other way around.

It was humorous to me last week when JB engaged her and others on her FB feed. A serial lying POS came on and acted like everyone there should give him deference because of who he is...yea, well FTG.

Libel Betsy all you want (fortunately, in the US, unlike the idiocy of the UK system of "justice," you're allowed to write or say whatever you want if you truly believe your statement). She gets attacked all the time from a myriad of people, and I think at this point, she's developed a pretty good attitude about it. She and I have disagreed fervently about political issues, and gotten into some very heated exchanges, and have always come back to a place of respect. The reason I continue to respect her is that she is honest. I may disagree with her belief, but I never question whether she is being honest to her morals and ethics. If you see a person other than that, you don't know her at all. Hammer away at her, I feel pretty certain that she doesn't care.

EDIT: I don't post on this part of the forum much anymore because cycling is still rife with cheating. I still watch races, but can't muster much emotion about any of it. In my personal opinion, I think that Lance's doping history is little different from most of the peloton of the day...it is his personal actions against those who questioned him, that were and will always be the point of contention I have with him.

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession

Some fair points by Bruyneel..

“LeMond has realized that people are becoming less and less angry with Lance because it has become clear that he was only one of the many who used doping substances and that is why LeMond is now looking for something new to stain his first name,” Bruyneel added. “But you will not find it. They may try until the year 3000, but they will not find motorized doping.

“Lance’s opponents behave like a cult. For them, everything that goes wrong in cycling is because of Armstrong.”

http://www.velonews.com/2017/02/news/bruyneel-attacks-lemond-motor-claims_430341#fq5V3F6hUyFmr4Ie.99

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site

thehog said:

“LeMond has realized that people are becoming less and less angry with Lance because it has become clear that he was only one of the many who used doping substances and that is why LeMond is now looking for something new to stain his first name,” Bruyneel added. “But you will not find it. They may try until the year 3000, but they will not find motorized doping.

“Lance’s opponents behave like a cult. For them, everything that goes wrong in cycling is because of Armstrong.”

http://www.velonews.com/2017/02/news/bruyneel-attacks-lemond-motor-claims_430341#fq5V3F6hUyFmr4Ie.99

Bruyneel is wrong. It's not that Lance was just like so many others. He wielded power others didn't have, and was more of a bully. Lots of people doped, but he wasn't like the others.

No, these days people aren't as interested in going after Lance because he doesn't have the power he once had, he's serving a ban, and out of the spotlight. If Lance came back into cycling, particularly in any sort of way connected to the power structure (UCI, USAC, etc), there would have to be uproar again. If Lance can stay away, live his life, and leave the sport alone, I think many folks are content to leave Lance alone too.

Beech Mtn said:
thehog said:

Bruyneel is wrong. It's not that Lance was just like so many others. He wielded power others didn't have, and was more of a bully. Lots of people doped, but he wasn't like the others.

No, these days people aren't as interested in going after Lance because he doesn't have the power he once had, he's serving a ban, and out of the spotlight. If Lance came back into cycling, particularly in any sort of way connected to the power structure (UCI, USAC, etc), there would have to be uproar again. If Lance can stay away, live his life, and leave the sport alone, I think many folks are content to leave Lance alone too.

You're wrong; Bruyneel is right.

Once you get off this board and this particular thread, there's a large cohort of cycling fans who are far more concerned about the issues of which Bruyneel speaks ... (and rightly so) ... rather than being fixated on Lance being a 'meanie.' That you feel obligated to come on these boards and wax whiningly in chivalrous defence of Betsy, Simeoni, Emma or Bassons is rather pathetic. I'm sure any one of these four would tell you to sod off and stop blubbering over them. Your loathing of Lance is not about his drug use and never was. It was his passport and his cockiness since day one, nao eh?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

thehog said:

Certainly fair enough from Bruyneel's perspective.

It's an intriguing one, although when it comes to motives we're typically left speculating.

Fwiw, whenever I see Greg I don't see an a-hole.
Rather, I see a bit of a soft guy who'd be very easily manipulable by a strong party like Kathy.
The similarities with Froome and Michelle are quite interesting in that regard.

As for the motor thing, I have to defend Greg. From the 60 Minutes broadcasting I didn't get the sense it's only about Lance, even if that may have initially triggered his interest in the topic. I'm happy he's pursuing the issue, and also scrutinizing UCI's role.

sniper said:
thehog said:

It's an intriguing one, although when it comes to motives we're typically left speculating.

Rather, I see a bit of a soft guy who'd be very easily manipulable by a strong party like Kathy.

As for the motor thing, I have to defend Greg. From the 60 Minutes broadcasting I didn't get the sense it's only about Lance, even if that may have initially triggered his interest in the topic. I'm happy he's pursuing the issue, and also scrutinizing UCI's role.

I find it hypocritical that Lemond accepts money from Eurosport and I believe the TDF, but yet is involved in a secret activity to find mechanical doping at the TDF - I find his moral compass to be lacking.

yaco said:
sniper said:
thehog said:

I find it hypocritical that Lemond accepts money from Eurosport and I believe the TDF, but yet is involved in a secret activity to find mechanical doping at the TDF - I find his moral compass to be lacking.
What, because he promotes the race and at the same time tries to do something to get rid of cheaters?

The perfect combination in my book.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Bruyneel would want to start talking about his own doping as a rider and his teams doping as a manager. After that i'll listen to what he says about LeMond and others 'obsessions'.

yaco said:

How so? He's commenting on the race and he's not getting any money from the TDF (where did you get that from?). Should he be a shill like Liggett, Sherwin, Roll, and countless others that praised Armstrong for years, knowing full well he was doped to the gills yet they continued lying to the public's faces, only to look like complete idiots after all that crap went down. That said, I would like to see him state his opinion directly to a rider such as Froome, rather than be all cordial and congratulatory. If you don't think he's won without some doubt, say it to his face, right?
Btw, from the 60 Minutes piece, LeMond didn't even mention Armstrong. 60 Minutes was asking LeMond what he thinks because he is the most successful American rider that doesn't have a doping stain on his career. I'm not sure my Bruyneel mentions him, but that a-hole has no credibility so he needs to just be quiet. He's just jelly that LeMond betters his manlove Lance on all levels once again.

sniper said:
thehog said:

Fair points; the 60 Minutes broadcast was watered down as Armstrong lawyers had sent a letter prior to the broadcast. They couldn't make the Armstrong allegations as there was simply no evidence to back it up. Not even a little bit, hence why they intermated it could have been Armstrong.

kingjr said:
yaco said:
sniper said:
thehog said:

What, because he promotes the race and at the same time tries to do something to get rid of cheaters?

The cheaters in Lemond's mind - And we are discussing alleged mechanical doping ? Lemond wants to out mechanical dopers ? Do you think they only exist in the TDF ?

Why would you would covertly with the French Police, rather than going the UCI or even the TDF Organisers - Talking from a purely commercial perspective, I'd be surprised if Eurosport renews Lemond's contract - The TDF is a big cash cow for all, so having an employee secretly working against the event/employer is unacceptable.

benzwire said:
yaco said:

How so? He's commenting on the race and he's not getting any money from the TDF (where did you get that from?). Should he be a shill like Liggett, Sherwin, Roll, and countless others that praised Armstrong for years, knowing full well he was doped to the gills yet they continued lying to the public's faces, only to look like complete idiots after all that crap went down. That said, I would like to see him state his opinion directly to a rider such as Froome, rather than be all cordial and congratulatory. If you don't think he's won without some doubt, say it to his face, right?
Btw, from the 60 Minutes piece, LeMond didn't even mention Armstrong. 60 Minutes was asking LeMond what he thinks because he is the most successful American rider that doesn't have a doping stain on his career. I'm not sure my Bruyneel mentions him, but that a-hole has no credibility so he needs to just be quiet. He's just jelly that LeMond betters his manlove Lance on all levels once again.

My post is not about Armstrong so stop going off on a tangent - I don't believe you should accept money from Eurosport for adding your expertise to the TDF, and then work against the race - I have expressed the same thoughts about Landis whistle-blower case against Armstrong - I am consistent in my thoughts.

thehog said:
sniper said:
thehog said:

Fair points; the 60 Minutes broadcast was watered down as Armstrong lawyers had sent a letter prior to the broadcast. They couldn't make the Armstrong allegations as there was simply no evidence to back it up. Not even a little bit, hence why they intermated it could have been Armstrong.

Tough to put a 2016 motor into a 1999 bike frame, knowing that a 1999 moto would be larger than a 2016 version - To do so would lack credibility

yaco said:
kingjr said:
yaco said:

The cheaters in Lemond's mind - And we are discussing alleged mechanical doping ? Lemond wants to out mechanical dopers ? Do you think they only exist in the TDF ?

Why would you would covertly with the French Police, rather than going the UCI or even the TDF Organisers - Talking from a purely commercial perspective, I'd be surprised if Eurosport renews Lemond's contract - The TDF is a big cash cow for all, so having an employee secretly working against the event/employer is unacceptable.
From a Eurosport perspective, but from my perspective as a fan, I'm all for people working covertly with the Police.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

yaco said:
<snipped for brevity>

The UCI or ASO (TdF Owners ;) ) are not interested in catching cheaters. When have they ever?

LeMond is not stupid he knows police forces have proven better at catching the cheats rather than the UCI or ASO.

Really don't understand how JB is given any credibility in any matter that is concerned with cycling(not that I think LA had a motor).
It is strange how loud he is protesting and slinging words at GL, who really wasn't implicating LA using a motor.
What is interesting is that I looked back at the the 2001 Tour. LA had a bike that was unique because it still contained shifting on the down tube for the front derailleur while everyone else was onto index shifting by the point for front and rear shifting. If it has been mentioned before apologies.

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

MarkvW said:
I am only aware of one false statement. She initially said that Birotte promised to hand over Armstrong investigation to USADA. She promptly retracted that when confronted, though.

The person who claims "carefully crafted lies" were told is not telling the truth. She is a zealot, but not a liar.

She is a liar. This stuff about Lance using motors is lie. She did not hear this and then pass it along. She and Kathy LeMond cooked it up and spread it. It did not exist before she fabricated it. Greg LeMond then bought in. Whether Greg is a well meaning fool who was duped by the machinations of his wife or whether he actually believes his own rationalization about missing Watts, the result is the same: Greg publicly giving weight to Betsy's lies. Bruyneel hit the nail on the head. Since the general public is now aware that everyone was doping, she needs something else to smear Lance with.

Re:

papisimo98 said:
Really don't understand how JB is given any credibility in any matter that is concerned with cycling(not that I think LA had a motor).
It is strange how loud he is protesting and slinging words at GL, who really wasn't implicating LA using a motor.
What is interesting is that I looked back at the the 2001 Tour. LA had a bike that was unique because it still contained shifting on the down tube for the front derailleur while everyone else was onto index shifting by the point for front and rear shifting. If it has been mentioned before apologies.

Armstrong wasn't the only rider still using a downtube shifter for the front derailleur in the 2001 Tour, Ullrich for example was using a downtube shifter.

Re: Re:

DamianoMachiavelli said:
MarkvW said:
I am only aware of one false statement. She initially said that Birotte promised to hand over Armstrong investigation to USADA. She promptly retracted that when confronted, though.

The person who claims "carefully crafted lies" were told is not telling the truth. She is a zealot, but not a liar.

She is a liar. This stuff about Lance using motors is lie. She did not hear this and then pass it along. She and Kathy LeMond cooked it up and spread it. It did not exist before she fabricated it. Greg LeMond then bought in. Whether Greg is a well meaning fool who was duped by the machinations of his wife or whether he actually believes his own rationalization about missing Watts, the result is the same: Greg publicly giving weight to Betsy's lies. Bruyneel hit the nail on the head. Since the general public is now aware that everyone was doping, she needs something else to smear Lance with.

Utterly unpersuasive. And you remain unable to back up your "carefully crafted" fabrication.

Alpe73 said:
Beech Mtn said:
thehog said:

You're wrong; Bruyneel is right.

Once you get off this board and this particular thread, there's a large cohort of cycling fans who are far more concerned about the issues of which Bruyneel speaks ... (and rightly so) ... rather than being fixated on Lance being a 'meanie.' That you feel obligated to come on these boards and wax whiningly in chivalrous defence of Betsy, Simeoni, Emma or Bassons is rather pathetic. I'm sure any one of these four would tell you to sod off and stop blubbering over them. Your loathing of Lance is not about his drug use and never was. It was his passport and his cockiness since day one, nao eh?

I think you are all wrong :D

No, seriously. I'll take into account what happened with Virenque and Jalabert in France. Being caught or outed has never, ever dimished their popularity. Never. Why ? Because the general public (i/e not the cyclists or die-hard cycling fans) couldn't care less, eventually. They put on a big show. Why spoil the show ? The crowd will rather turn against the press for breaking their toy... This is precisely what happened with Lance. It took 7 years between the L'Equipe investigation of 2005 and the USADA investigation of 2012 to finally surrender to the truth. During those 7 years people fought hard for their toy not to be broken.

yaco said:
benzwire said:
yaco said:

My post is not about Armstrong so stop going off on a tangent - I don't believe you should accept money from Eurosport for adding your expertise to the TDF, and then work against the race - I have expressed the same thoughts about Landis whistle-blower case against Armstrong - I am consistent in my thoughts.

So... Speaking about mechanical doping when you think it's taking place is "working against the race". I wonder what "working FOR the race" might be. Duck and cover ?

yaco said:

You got it backwards. The 60 minutes story is inspired by a 2 parts report on french TV in april 2016. This is the first part. The second part where Kathy LeMond appeared is not online anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15kIyBhsX8o&t=921s

Anyway, from what I remember, the LeMonds met with that motor bike builder from Budapest during the 2015 Tour de France. While they were together, the guy got a call from a UCI official that the police were looking for him. The guy flew back to Budapest. The police went after the people who met him. That's when they met the LeMonds to hear their testimony.

Greg and Kathy didn't go to the police. The police went to them. Were they supposed to go to the UCI while a UCI official was on the grill ?

Wake up, dude.

Anyway. That's when Greg ordered a mechanical bike from budapest to demonstrate bike motors :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKgJ_Uhwfno

@NL_LeMondFans said:
yaco said:
benzwire said:
yaco said:

So... Speaking about mechanical doping when you think it's taking place is "working against the race". I wonder what "working FOR the race" might be. Duck and cover ?

I'd be surprised if Lemond works for Eurosport for the 2017 TDF if the train of events are correct - Of course I could be wrong !

As a long time lurker, I finally came here to adress this very serious issue for the future of cycling (Kidding! But my 1st post ever being about such a ludicrous subject is so close to trolling that it’s good.)
Anyway, Ms Andreu is very well capable of lying. And I’m quite tired of this old « she is so honest she would never lie » BS.

Some exemples ?

- The most recent, a few days back on her facebook. Johan Bruyneel said it best. (I would post Bruyneel Facebook message would I know how)
Of course she insinuated for weeks Lance Armstrong (relevance to the topic :) ) was going to be exposed in the 60 minutes investigation. These are facts. Yet, she now deny insinuating anything. I’m not even sure this qualify as a lie per se, it’s just take people for fools. So let’s move on.

- Frankie never ever doped until he was 29 years old. Many times she said this. (The semantic precaution that he only started EPO when he was 29 years came only recently.) Frankie had told everything and ALL his doping history was in the USADA reasoned decision. Until OOPS ! Yeah he may had started sooner than that ultimately…

- You also have the « Frankie was fired for saying no to dope. » When in fac the was offered another contract at the end of the 2000 season. Yes, a smaller salary, but a salary related to his age and what he was going to be able to bring to the team. That’s not « firing », that’s law of supply and demand that apply to every business. She knows that, yet she keeps distorting the truth to add dramatic elements to her story.

- Then the « Frankie did not approached McKingley for the fixed Triple crown race in 93 » when even her very good friend wrote he did in his 7DS book a couple of years before.

Those are just the most recent one or obvious and known-to-be-lies ones. She does take some liberties with the truth when it suits her. And this shows it’s easier to demand full honesty when it’s not about you or your own family.

Why bother what a self proclamed stay-at-home mum say? Because she is the one putting herself in the spotlight for 4 years and smearing people and it’s becoming boring.

About Johan Bruyneel, Lemond and 60 minutes : 60 minutes wanted to incriminate Lance Armstrong (and by repercution Bruyneel). There’s no doubt about it. It’s been confirmed by many protagonist of this story. Armstrong name was the ONLY name leaked to the press. And there was multiple hint 60 minutes was going to make a lot lot lot of noise.
And in the end 60 minutes brought ZERO evidences about Armstrong, and almost nothing about sky or others. The question is Why ? I would have loved to see the original piece they wanted to make (the more agressive one, before they received a letter from Armstrong’s lawyers).

Was there real evidences? If so why didn’t they go with them?
Or was there always zero evidences but just the will to be more frontal in their accusation? If so, why the hell did they oversold this ? And who is behind this? (Because you don't accuse someone without proof by accident. They didn’t choose the 99 Armstrong bike and Hamilton to test the bike by chance. Someone wanted it to be this way)
Many people seems to think it was fabricate by the LeMonds and Betsy Andreu.
I would like Damiano Machiavelli to develop how he knows for sure they are behind it - and no Varjas or the 60 minutes producers.
But since ChewbaccaDefense is a good friend with Betsy Andreu, he could also enlight all of us and ask her directly why she was so sure Lance Armstrong was about to be exposed as the pioneer of mechanical doping. Who told her that? What were the evidences?

TRENDING THREADS