• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
lagartija said:
Nothing serious here , but it was asked up thread and i thought it was funny.

Lance flew to Hawaii on Jet Blue , family in tow . apparently drank a fair bit and was in no mood for conversation . really just coincidence , a good friend and riding buddy is a jet blue pilot . when he told me about it i thought it was hilarious . oh he wasnt particularly pleasant to the attendants , lol .

Jet Blue does not fly to Hawaii

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
D-Queued said:
I have been advised from a reliable source that he actually is in conflict over his legacy. While I am heavily interpreting that conversation through my own filter, I believe that they believe he was sincere.

If it hadn't come from who it did, I would have laughed.

I suppose it is possible.

Dave.

You aren't quoting me are you, I posted that last week :D

I think your source is probably right, because pre-Oprah he had nowhere to go. No future other than sitting in his ranch trying to keep a hold on his money.

What I'm getting at is that once he'd decided to fess up why continue to lie about some of the aspects? (because I think he did lie)

Damage limitation I guess...

Joachim said:
What I'm getting at is that once he'd decided to fess up why continue to lie about some of the aspects? (because I think he did lie)

The liar is going to keep on lying, preserve his world view and, like you say stay out of jail.

Oh yeah, and there's the fact he wants to return to WADA sanctioned athletic events for a dozen reasons. He can sell super-premium "Elite Weekend with Carmichael Training", "Wonderboy Gran Fondo" with special guests Hein Verdruggen and Thom Wiesel. among other scammy scams.

He needs to get around ##!!@$!% USADA to restart the scam machine.

Race Radio said:
Jet Blue does not fly to Hawaii

Well, they sort of do. It's one of those deals where the passenger books through Jet Blue and ends up on a Hawaiian Air flight.

Not a "Jet Blue" plane on the last hop if there was more than one stop and the deal was on when Wonderboy booked.

Not surprising to hear Wonderboy's a drinker. I feel sorry for any kids that have to be around that guy. It's the perfect setup to "find God" after he declares bankruptcy. I still owe Oldman a few leadouts for calling the "God card" before me.

DirtyWorks said:
The liar is going to keep on lying, preserve the legend in his own mind, like you say stay out of jail.

Oh yeah, and there's the fact he wants to return to WADA sanctioned athletic events for a dozen reasons. He can sell super-premium "Elite Weekend with Carmichael Training", "Wonderboy Gran Fondo" with special guests Hein Verdruggen and Thom Wiesel. among other scammy scams.

The scam machine's pretty well smashed right now. Lance would have to rebuild a new scam machine, pretty much from scratch. I don't think that he's able to do this.

His only trick now is dominating old man triathlons. There's not much mega-marketing potential in that. And, so far, Lance has only been able to dominate anything by engaging in a massive doping program. And, if the lifetime ban is relaxed, Lance still has a fairly long ban to serve (as he gets older and more out of the public eye).

Lance's personal appearances look to me to be just attention-seeking behavior. I can't see any practical reason behind public defiance at one moment (the 7 jerseys picture) and public contrition the next (Oprah).

Maybe Lance is just clinging to the last dregs of his fame.

Joachim said:
You aren't quoting me are you, I posted that last week :D

I think your source is probably right, because pre-Oprah he had nowhere to go. No future other than sitting in his ranch trying to keep a hold on his money.

Damage limitation I guess...

I think my conversation went something like this:

That Joachim guy in the Clinic was saying that Lance may have sincerely wanted to apologize. I know that Joachim is always right, and don't in any way want to suggest I doubt Joachim's word, but I was wondering if you might feel the same way.

Boy was I surprised when they said, "I am Joachim"

Dave.

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Joachim said:
A week and a half on from it and it just seems bizarre. Almost to the point of wondering why he did it.

Agree totally. We wont have to put up with him in Hollywood movies at least - terrible actor! Couldn't feign sincerity or remorse if his life depended on it. In fact, couldn't even act being himself. Was reminiscent of rope-a-Dope Phil Anderson under interview.

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Surfdelux said:
Agree totally. We wont have to put up with him in Hollywood movies at least - terrible actor! Couldn't feign sincerity or remorse if his life depended on it. In fact, couldn't even act being himself. Was reminiscent of rope-a-Dope Phil Anderson under interview.

He's cracking. Must....take....charge....somehow.... Oops.

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
I think my conversation went something like this:

That Joachim guy in the Clinic was saying that Lance may have sincerely wanted to apologize. I know that Joachim is always right, and don't in any way want to suggest I doubt Joachim's word, but I was wondering if you might feel the same way.

Boy was I surprised when they said, "I am Joachim"

Dave.

Dave:

Have not you heard of Joachim's Razor? :)

DirtyWorks said:
The liar is going to keep on lying, preserve his world view and, like you say stay out of jail.

Thats just it my friend, I dont think he can "get around USADA", sooner or later he'll have to talk to Travis if he wants to even entertain the idea of doing tri's again. I know you know this, I was just commenting that there's no way in hell(imo) that either WADA or USADA lowers his ban unless he brings the goods.

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
MarkvW said:
The scam machine's pretty well smashed right now. Lance would have to rebuild a new scam machine, pretty much from scratch. I don't think that he's able to do this.

His only trick now is dominating old man triathlons. There's not much mega-marketing potential in that. And, so far, Lance has only been able to dominate anything by engaging in a massive doping program. And, if the lifetime ban is relaxed, Lance still has a fairly long ban to serve (as he gets older and more out of the public eye).

Lance's personal appearances look to me to be just attention-seeking behavior. I can't see any practical reason behind public defiance at one moment (the 7 jerseys picture) and public contrition the next (Oprah).

Maybe Lance is just clinging to the last dregs of his fame.
Just before the Oprah confession I was starting to think Armstrong would do the sensible thing -- quietly settle the various lawsuits against him and disappear with what's left of his fortune. But apparantly he needs to the attention and will do his damndest to stay in the public's consciousness, just so long as it doesn't involve Dancing with the Stars.:D

Pazuzu said:
Just before the Oprah confession I was starting to think Armstrong would do the sensible thing -- quietly settle the various lawsuits against him and disappear with what's left of his fortune. But apparantly he needs to the attention and will do his damndest to stay in the public's consciousness, just so long as it doesn't involve Dancing with the Stars.:D

He needed to confess to give himself more room to maneuver legally. With denying he only had one option - denying. Now he can half-truth his way to settlements.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50139810n

Interesting piece from 60 Minutes on how they helped shape the myth and the threats and harassment they faced when they finally pursued the truth

The only reply on the comments for the Tygart follow-up interview.

Some quotes:

"Lance is a scapegoat"
"Lance played on an even playing field"
"I can't believe how naive the public & media are"

Then tries to change to subject to Michael Phelps...

I just wish USADA would stop with the "most sophisticated doping program" hogwash (there is no way they can know that), and if they are going to claim that Pharmstrong's BP bloodwork had "a one in a million" chance of not being manipulated, then explain why he was allowed to even start the 2010 TdF. Their case is to me airtight, and editorializing their case with the above statements give Wonderboy and his ever shrinking legion the opportunity to obfuscate.

Puckfiend said:
I just wish USADA would stop with the "most sophisticated doping program" hogwash (there is no way they can know that), and if they are going to claim that Pharmstrong's BP bloodwork had "a one in a million" chance of not being manipulated, then explain why he was allowed to even start the 2010 TdF. Their case is to me airtight, and editorializing their case with the above statements give Wonderboy and his ever shrinking legion the opportunity to obfuscate.

Agreed but we discussed this in the past week. It's along the same lines as lance would "incinerate" those in the sport that got on his bad side.

armstrong always gets beat up for his lie telling body language during interviews but Tygart has a lot of awkward face twitching.

armstrong made it clear several times during his Oprah interview that he was not fond of the UCI. Funny how insulting them was actually his attempt at giving them credibility for his latest approach of them and WADA instead of USADA for his admissions. Like saying he doesn't like them will alleviate any conflict of interest.

Puckfiend said:

Well, this is what media manipulation is all about: SOUNDBITES. The Armstrong camp used their "500 Tests" bullchit to great avail. Now Tygart is playing the game too, and it is working in his favor. Better him than Lance Inc.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Tygart was under a lot of stress for the interview... But he came out very well, to the point and as said, very good sound bites for the unwashed so to speak. Poor Prance was watching and getting steamed-up. Was Tygart referring to Herman? I hope that fraud Herman gets disciplined and loses his license. Herman is in on it, deep. Both will end in hell.

jackwolf said:
"It's not over. He'd like to think it's over, but it's not."

Threatening and harassing major actors of a TV network and their investigative news segment, both professionally and personally!

Did he/they really think they would get away with this?

It appears that the payback isn't finished. It looks like CBS won't be happy until Armstrong and his myth are totally destroyed.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Owen Slot wrote an interesting piece over the weekend for The Times. The gist of which is that the Armstrong claim to Oprah that 09/10 were ridden clean is to use the SoL to have his ban reduced and to limit legal actions from sponsors.