• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 120 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
webvan said:
So he would have been fine without the comeback? Dunno...I guess Landis wouldn't have asked him for a job and to help start the TOC but he would still have been desperate at some point and would have started "singing"...

Surely he would have been even more fine without the 15 years of cheating, bullying and lying in the first place?

thehog said:
Good lesson in life. Never get greedy! :rolleyes:

Lance is such a Glory Hog. After winning the TdF 7 times in a row, he gave a heartfelt retirement speech, "Now I can spend more time with my family & charity... yada yada." But within 3 years of being out of the spotlight, Lance announced his big comeback.. he was gonna do it all again! Talk about not knowing when to quit!

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Bosco10 said:
Lance is such a Glory Hog. After winning the TdF 7 times in a row, he gave a heartfelt retirement speech, "Now I can spend more time with my family & charity... yada yada." But within 3 years of being out of the spotlight, Lance announced his big comeback.. he was gonna do it all again! Talk about not knowing when to quit!

No such thing as too much money or celebrity if contemplating a political bid in the US tho

Bosco10 said:

Man people were just gushing after him in 2009! He must have thought “ching ching” – this is the best thing I ever did!

I think it also says something about McQuaid. He should have known not to back that horse again.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
Man people were just gushing after him in 2009! He must have thought “ching ching” – this is the best thing I ever did!

I think it also says something about McQuaid. He should have known not to back that horse again.

Lance had too much on them. He had them wrapped around his finger and McQuaid played to his tune.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
webvan said:
Well again, would it have changed the end result? Landis was going to go ballistic at some point anyway, comeback or not. I mean, yeah Dopestrong got greedy, but the worm was in the apple anyway, so to speak.

I believe it would.

While i agree that Landis would eventually have confessed and implicated him.
But LA would have been long retired (5+ years) and the general public would turn on Landis dismissing him as bitter, drunk etc. which is essentially what LA & his mob tried to do anyway.

But the Feds were snooping around because of Leogrande but weren't getting up to the next level. and then the Garmin guys said they would co-operate.
Hamilton has said he would not have spoken except he was sent to a grand jury, and one can assume Hincapie was the same.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Great quote on the back of the book

BWPPFUGCEAAac8J.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Hello tonight (11:30/10:30c) on The Colbert Report (Comedy Central), Reed Albergotti and Vanessa O'Connell discuss their new book "Wheelmen: Lance Armstrong, the Tour de France and the biggest sports conspiracy ever".

You can also watch it tomorrow on the website http://www.colbertnation.com.

I definitely recommend it, his interviews are usually both informative and funny!

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Bosco10 said:
Attention hores tend to do behave like that.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:
I wonder how Crow feels about keeping silent about this all that time. If LA is such a fraud for cheating, then people like Crow were aiding and abetting a fraud.

A theme that richly deserves to be explored, IMO. For any kind of crime or infringement of rules, we recognize that people who knew what was going on and didn’t speak out are themselves guilty. If I were Crow, I’d be deeply ashamed of myself. But people have an almost infinite ability to rationalize, and I doubt that her silence bothers her in the slightest.

I am not sure what your measuring stick is here MI.

It took Betsy Andreu 9 years from when she first was aware of LA's PED use until she was deposed in SCA. It took Crow 7 years before she was deposed and admitted what she saw, which is faster than BA. They were both compelled legally to get rid of their shame of not speaking up about LA.

By your logic you could direct your post towards BA, but as we all know she is the "clean white satin sheet that can do no wrong" in the eyes of the clinic, and since the clinic is full of non-hypocrites :)rolleyes:) I am surprised nobody has corrected you until now. It took me having to log in to point out this obvious fact.

The ironic thing is that from Crow's recent interviews, she seems to want nothing to do with LA. I just don't know why she doesn't want to just meet up with him for tequila shots and bury the hatchet, if you know what I mean, darlin'. :cool:

ChrisE said:

It took Betsy Andreu 9 years from when she first was aware of LA's PED use until she was deposed in SCA. It took Crow 7 years before she was deposed and admitted what she saw, which is faster than BA. They were both compelled legally to get rid of their shame of not speaking up about LA.

By your logic you could direct your post towards BA, but as we all know she is the "clean white satin sheet that can do no wrong" in the eyes of the clinic, and since the clinic is full of non-hypocrites :)rolleyes:) I am surprised nobody has corrected you until now. It took me having to log in to point out this obvious fact.

The ironic thing is that from Crow's recent interviews, she seems to want nothing to do with LA. I just don't know why she doesn't want to just meet up with him for tequila shots and bury the hatchet, if you know what I mean, darlin'. :cool:

Normally MI has pretty solid posts but he missed the boat on that one. There is a long list of people who looked the other way at LAs doping. The would be a **** ton of aiding and abetting charges against a whole bunch of clinic darlings.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:

Betsy witnessed Lance doping? This is a new one, do you have a link?

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Ah, that's right. You got me playing my silly games, and this time I have gone too far by soiling the clinic superwoman!!!

She only heard him admitting it in the hospital room and then had all these other stories that came out in the reasoned decision deposition. No way would that rise to the level of shame while he raked it in with LAF, celebrity, and all those TdF wins until 2005. :rolleyes:

Of course, blabbing in say 1999 would have put a crimp in her quality of life......some of us get that. Others have a binary moral template, selectively applied. You seem to fall into the latter category, and pointing that out was the goal with my post. Thanks for playing.

I don't see why anybody would give Sheryl Crow a hard time. We (as yet) have zero evidence that she "aided and abetted" any crime or cheat that Lance did. Same with Betsy.

The other human beings, who were virtually enslaved by Lance and forced to help him cheat . . .. Well that's another story!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
I don't see why anybody would give Sheryl Crow a hard time. We (as yet) have zero evidence that she "aided and abetted" any crime or cheat that Lance did. Same with Betsy.

The other human beings, who were virtually enslaved by Lance and forced to help him cheat . . .. Well that's another story!

Guess what would happen to you if you saw a crime where the criminal saw you see him in the act and didn't say anything and it was found out later, guess what can happen to you if the criminal can prove you saw it and didn't say anything then.

ChrisE said:

I’ve never said Betsy was above criticism. I have in fact questioned on this forum why both she and Frankie remained silent for so long, knowing what they heard in that hospital room. But at least she laid it on the line to Frankie, the one rider she was in best position to influence, whereas Crow apparently completely accepted what LA was doing. And after Betsy finally was deposed, she was the target of enormous abuse that Crow did not have to endure.

Normally MI has pretty solid posts but he missed the boat on that one. There is a long list of people who looked the other way at LAs doping. The would be a **** ton of aiding and abetting charges against a whole bunch of clinic darlings.

Again, I'm focussing on Crow because she was the subject of recent posts. That doesn't mean I'm unaware or forgiving of others who also remained silent. I was particularly upset when I learned that JV had witnessed LA taking EPO was back at the 98 Vuelta. I know he would say that if he had spoken out then or any time after prior to the USADA investigation, nothing would have come of it, but sometimes actions should be based on ethics, not practicality.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Merckx index said:
I’ve never said Betsy was above criticism. I have in fact questioned on this forum why both she and Frankie remained silent for so long, knowing what they heard in that hospital room.

I do believe the mere fact that Frankie was employed by the sport to which Armstrong had much influence in was a decisive factor as to why they didn't come forward earlier.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:
I’ve never said Betsy was above criticism. I have in fact questioned on this forum why both she and Frankie remained silent for so long, knowing what they heard in that hospital room. But at least she laid it on the line to Frankie, the one rider she was in best position to influence, whereas Crow apparently completely accepted what LA was doing. And after Betsy finally was deposed, she was the target of enormous abuse that Crow did not have to endure.

Again, I'm focussing on Crow because she was the subject of recent posts. That doesn't mean I'm unaware or forgiving of others who also remained silent. I was particularly upset when I learned that JV had witnessed LA taking EPO was back at the 98 Vuelta. I know he would say that if he had spoken out then or any time after prior to the USADA investigation, nothing would have come of it, but sometimes actions should be based on ethics, not practicality.

As much as having ethics is a sweet idea - you do realize that JV was taking EPO at the same race?

As for Crow. If doping was an issue for her, he would not have told her or their relationship would have ended quickly. Regardless she is not at fault.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
ChrisE said:

Surely you can see the legal significance of hearing someone say something in a hospital when the doctor involved wouldn't even admit what happened, and watching Lance hook up on a plane and speak openly about his doping.

And one need ask why it is that you carry such vitriol for BA, but really seem to want to let Ms. Crow off the hook? I will give Crow one thing, I bet with her profession, seeing needles wasn't that big of a deal to her...

Race Radio said:

That is just ChrissE trying to stir things up :rolleyes:

one
note
wonder

I am pretty sure Sheryl would be doing her happy thing with Armstrong had he not given her the boot
..it doesn't seem as if the doping bothered her until she was compelled to spill it...unlike Betsy who never played the quiet game

TRENDING THREADS