• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official London Olympics Doping thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Markyboyzx6r said:
Right, so tell me - what's your experience of GB Rowing? Hmm? Ever been on a GB training camp, ever seen any of their physiological results, ever helped team members (like Redgrave) scrape enough money together between Games to enable them to train properly? Ever actually raced them in competition?

You lot have no idea what you are talking about. None at all. You have no insight into GB Rowing, yet you are quite happy to s*** on our team. I never saw you down at Leander on cold winters mornings yet you somehow know something I didn't see in 20 years in and around elite rowing, nor did I ever even hear rumours about.

Nothing that Redgrave or Pinsent or any of the squad did was out of the norm (ie drug-tainted). They were exceptional athletes right from the start of their careers (Pinsent was beating my scores when he was still at Eton). You name one single performance for which there is any suspicion and I'll put you right on it...

Any performance. Name one.

So what? You are angry about me?

I am into sports since the early eighties. Coincidentially my mom was rowing back in the 70s. She knows a thing or two about it. And you know what? Doping in rowing goes at least right back to the 70s.

Suspicious performances? What about 88 almost beating the east german rowers? Leave me alone, and think what you want. It´s the dopers fault we are suspicious, there are tons of it. And an endurance sport like rowing is one of the worst.

Markyboyzx6r said:
You're absolutely and totally wrong about Redgrave so I'll assume the rest of this post is rubbish too.

To be fair, if you want to have a discussion this is pretty silly. His first four points can easily be checked and can be found to be true.

I have to say about Blake though, I believe it was a substance that wasn't banned under WADA rules but was similar to one that was. This seems a little unfair to me, you can't just add something to the list of banned substances and the retroactively ban someone.

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Dont get het up old chap. I am no more inclined to believe an anonlymous someone on a forum who allgedes insider knowledge.

Darryl Webster is not anonymous with his posting so his insider informaton carries weight, not a name taken out of MotorcycleNews. Never liked Kwakas:D

Redgrave never doped. I know this for a fact. I don't believe I need to compromise my confidentiality in order to assert this truth. I know the guy and have a sense of humour failure when his achievements are belittled cause I know and saw what it took to win those 5 golds.

That's my final say on this. I'm sure you'll follow up with some snide, narky comment.

Markyboyzx6r said:
Redgrave never doped. I know this for a fact. I don't believe I need to compromise my confidentiality in order to assert this truth. I know the guy and have a sense of humour failure when his achievements are belittled cause I know and saw what it took to win those 5 golds.

That's my final say on this. I'm sure you'll follow up with some snide, narky comment.

I'm sorry, but unless you have literally been watching him 24/7 you can't know for a fact.

I'm not in the "Redgrave doped" camp, but if you're not willing to discuss it there was little point posting here.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
King Boonen said:
I'm sorry, but unless you have literally been watching him 24/7 you can't know for a fact.

I'm not in the "Redgrave doped" camp, but if you're not willing to discuss it there was little point posting here.

That pretty much sums it up. Thanks.

On the Redgrave point,

I actually think he managed to win 5 golds because rowing it is an elitist sport which many countries didn't or still don't take seriously. The cost may be prohibitive for many nations to set up a decent rowing programme, whereas something like the 100m - 10,000m just require a track. (and yes, I understand more money will mean much better facilities, but I still think the comparison is valid).

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Well "King" you would have been right, if there wasn´t (err... still is, only that it´s world wide now, even to places like Jamaica) that dark era of eastern doping. They spoiled every sport from A like Archery to Z like Zehnkampf.

So to beat the east germans in endurance sports like rowing, you´d have been better the best of the best in the universe. Otherwise no chance to stand the dopers. Now, is Redgrave the best ever rower in the universe? I doubt it...

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Well "King" you would have been right, if there wasn´t (err... still is, only that it´s world wide now, even to places like Jamaica) that dark era of eastern doping. They spoiled every sport from A like Archery to Z like Zehnkampf.

So to beat the east germans in endurance sports like rowing, you´d have been better the best of the best in the universe. Otherwise no chance to stand the dopers. Now, is Redgrave the best rower in the universe? I doubt it...

Yeah, but was rowing popular and understood in East Germany?

I mean, I had friends who rowed. I would have beaten them in any test of endurance or strength, embarrassingly so in some cases, but on the water I would have been destroyed.

There is a lot of technique involved and I don't know how easy it is to learn.

I agree any performance like that is suspicious, there's just too little evidence. Have any of Redgraves competitors ever been pinged for drug use/admitted to it?

King Boonen said:
On the Redgrave point,

I actually think he managed to win 5 golds because rowing it is an elitist sport which many countries didn't or still don't take seriously. The cost may be prohibitive for many nations to set up a decent rowing programme, whereas something like the 100m - 10,000m just require a track. (and yes, I understand more money will mean much better facilities, but I still think the comparison is valid).

Or not...

Having raced in Egypt and against the Cubans, let alone against competitive crews in the past even from Uruguay, you are way off. There are more than enough competitors to justify rowing as an Olympic sport (e.g. compare to the dispute over Women's ski jumping).

You only need three other competitive entrants to get bumped from the medals.

Redgrave has classically competed in the hardest of rowing events to win - straight pair and straight four. Not that there haven't been anomolies in these events in past games with some unexpected successes, but these races typically have the best athletes competing from their respective nations.

This does not mean that I can vouch for Redgrave as Marky boy has. After all, I don't even know what medications my spouse might be taking. How could anyone vouch 100% for anyone else?

Dave.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Yeah, but was rowing popular and understood in East Germany?

I mean, I had friends who rowed. I would have beaten them in any test of endurance or strength, embarrassingly so in some cases, but on the water I would have been destroyed.

There is a lot of technique involved and I don't know how easy it is to learn.

I agree any performance like that is suspicious, there's just too little evidence. Have any of Redgraves competitors ever been pinged for drug use/admitted to it?

It wasn´t about popularity. It was political. The medal count was important to them.

Here is a good article about the plague rowing:
http://www.cycling4fans.de/index.php?id=5673

(i hope your google translator works ;))

Don't be late Pedro said:
You probably only need to be one of the best on earth unless you think Aliens also compete??

Yes of course i think Aliens compete:
460x.jpg

Here is a non alien for comparison, maybe the last 100-Champ ever:
evelyn_ashford_07.jpg

These thoughts occurred to me over the last few days:

What kind of out of competition testing is going on in the Olympic Village and training camps? Further, would doping athletes who compete later in the games be at a relative disadvantage (in terms of getting caught/noticed) to their earlier-competing counterparts, by spending more time in "prep" mode around other competitors or teammates?

After the whole Caster Semenya thing, I wonder if more athletes with a similar condition would emerge in different sports, sort of out a 'natural selection'?

More anecdotal, but it seems like more nations with minor athletic institutions are getting caught. Maybe more countries are trying to level the playing field by juicing?

Also curious to see the impact of the HGH test, as well as the effect of the threat of its effectiveness on performance

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
I would have also accepted any picture of Robert Forstemann.

I am not sure if he counts as alien. AFIR, there was sportsmen looking like him 100 years ago. But no way "women" used to look like Fraser. Not even in the times of big time doping in the GDR.

I you take away the face and then look at the picture, it seems to be a male bodybuilder with anabolica steroid ti+s.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
I am not sure if he counts as alien. AFIR, there was sportsmen looking like him 100 years ago. But no way "women" used to look like Fraser. Not even in the times of big time doping in the GDR.

I you take away the face and then look at the picture, it seems to be a male bodybuilder with anabolica steroid ti+s.

No way Forstermann looks more natural than her. The picture with his thighs and Greipel's looks shopped FFS.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
No way Forstermann looks more natural than her. The picture with his thighs and Greipel's looks shopped FFS.

Ok, you´re right. It looks bad. It may comes b/c of his shorter legs.
Still, women didn´t look like Fraser unless they were/are pregnant. I mean where is her waist? :eek:

What causes this ugly looking stomaches of all those "women" athlets (not just Fraser, look at Jeter, etc.)? I never saw such things in the 80s? Anyone knows?

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Ok, you´re right. It looks bad. It may comes b/c of his shorter legs.
Still, women didn´t look like Fraser unless they were/are pregnant. I mean where is her waist? :eek:

What causes this ugly looking stomaches of all those "women" athlets (not just Fraser, look at Jeter, etc.)? I never saw such things in the 80s? Anyone knows?

HGH, allegedly.

or HGH and insulin

or just insulin

I don't know, I am not a freak.

gooner said:
US coach has suspicions about Ye Shiwen's world record Olympic swim. Crikey he even compared it with Michelle Smith's performance in Atlanta in 1996 and her swim that time was so obvious there was something up.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/30/ye-shiwen-world-record-olympics-2012

And Vino has got a bit of back up from a UK journalist in The Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/jul/30/london-2012-olympic-alexandr-vinokourov

Ye Shewin is the Olympic equivalent to Pharmstrong. She makes it impossible to suspend disbelief.
There is simply no way a 16 year-old female can best the times of top-level males without doping.

TRENDING THREADS