• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official London Olympics Doping thread

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
terribleone said:
Michael Johnson was equally damning on the Turkish 1500m runner, having already been suspended etc. He was on BBC and said that, "she served her suspension and will get tested tonight. No news is good news." although given what Pound and Conte are saying above it seems like there is some new methods that are difficult to trace...

I'm wondering if the Algerian that won the 1500m will face the same tests and if frozen samples are being retained? Obviously coaches and national teams are onto new method and the questionnaire where over 50% of athletes would dope to win gold, even if they were going to die within 4 years. Given that the peloton have been trying fairly randomly, new pills and potions without a second thought for the future. Maybe we'll just see more athletes dying off sooner. :confused:

Just to clarify, the study was about a winning a gold medal if they would die in 5 years, not doping. The implication of the results obviously suggest that most athletes are willing to dope to win.

Libertine Seguros said:
The last remaining DDR World Record in athletics has just fallen.

Sadly they still hold both men and womens discus records plus the 400m for women. Some of the remaining 1980's Soviet Block World Records will probably never be broken at least not in my lifetime.

Pete

More Strides than Rides said:
Just to clarify, the study was about a winning a gold medal if they would die in 5 years, not doping. The implication of the results obviously suggest that most athletes are willing to dope to win.

Is it this ?

http://www.gifu-pref.com/eagerbeavers/2012/Olympics_games.pdf

Because here the question apparently was about doping.
“Will you use performance-enhancing drug, even if you will die in 5 years but you can win gold medal for sure”,
52% athletes ansewered “Yes”

Actually judging by the false use of the singular, that may be lost in translation. THough i also found this on a blog, which again is susceptible to a mistake.
A survey was once done on Olympic athletes that said, “If you could take a pill to guarantee you would get a gold medal, but it also guaranteed that you would die a year later, would you do it?”

80% of them said yes. I said no when someone asked me the question. She said, “Well, you don’t want it bad enough then. You won’t win a gold medal.” Maybe she was right.

I could swear i also remember a different one from some years back where the question was would you take a gold if it meant you cut 3 or 4 years of your life or some such, and 90% answered yes.

The Hitch said:
Is it this ?

http://www.gifu-pref.com/eagerbeavers/2012/Olympics_games.pdf

Because here the question apparently was about doping.

Actually judging by the false use of the singular, that may be lost in translation. THough i also found this on a blog, which again is susceptible to a mistake.

I could swear i also remember a different one from some years back where the question was would you take a gold if it meant you cut 3 or 4 years of your life or some such, and 90% answered yes.

Ahh, I was wrong. I checked the first google result for some of the key words. It was a journalist's summary, which could have been lost in translation. Thanks

hrotha said:
When Operación Galgo popped up I was surprised to read many Spanish athletes talking openly about how it was about time those obvious cheats were busted. I wouldn't rule out athletics not having such a deeply ingrained doping culture as cycling.

Maybe its the team thing. When guys are training as individuals and they are clean they dont know what is going on, whereas clean athletes in cycling may suspect friends, or fear omerta.

You had me thinking though, until i saw tts thread;)

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Oh, the irony...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2186859/London-2012-Olympics-Lisa-Dobriskey-accuses-1500m-rivals-cheating.html

Lisa Dobriskey appears to have accused the women who beat her in the 1500 metres at the Olympic Games of cheating.

‘I’ll probably get into trouble for saying this but I don’t believe I’m competing on a level playing field,’ said Dobriskey, the 2009 world silver medallist, on Radio 5 Live.

I wonder what Dobriskey thinks about the people who are competing against Team GB's track cycling squad - that has broken world record after world record in these games?

Are they competing on a level playing field?

Or are these the sorts of questions you only ask about foreigners?

terribleone said:
Michael Johnson was equally damning on the Turkish 1500m runner, having already been suspended etc. He was on BBC and said that, "she served her suspension and will get tested tonight. No news is good news." although given what Pound and Conte are saying above it seems like there is some new methods that are difficult to trace...

I'm wondering if the Algerian that won the 1500m will face the same tests and if frozen samples are being retained? Obviously coaches and national teams are onto new method and the questionnaire where over 50% of athletes would dope to win gold, even if they were going to die within 4 years. Given that the peloton have been trying fairly randomly, new pills and potions without a second thought for the future. Maybe we'll just see more athletes dying off sooner. :confused:

1500m for women was deemed an inappropriate event but with the feminism in full flow from the 1960's, it was included in the 1972 Olympics. I cannot see a single World record for the event since its introduction that does does not look suspect. I remember watching Kazankina's World record in 1976 in Monteal - a truly absurd 3' 56". This same Russian (now a veteran) incurred a ban in 1984 when refusing to take a drugs test after running another sub-4 in Paris. Although she held the WR for 13 years, I suspect it was longer as I don't think anyone ran faster than her Montreal time until the Chinese came along in 1993. The first offical post-IAAF record holder was an English woman who set her World record on a track on which I ran as a child. She died at 52 following a brain haemorrhage.

Dalakhani said:
Oh, the irony...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2186859/London-2012-Olympics-Lisa-Dobriskey-accuses-1500m-rivals-cheating.html

I wonder what Dobriskey thinks about the people who are competing against Team GB's track cycling squad - that has broken world record after world record in these games?

These are questions the British only ask of foreigners. Even if BC is exposed there would still be knighthoods all around.

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Dalakhani said:
Oh, the irony...

Really? The irony?

I can totally understand asking questions of British Cycling/Sky and being suspicious but to then turn this onto an athlete from another sport who has no connection to cycling who is upset at the fact her event was won by a known and guilty doper... from a country where it appears that you can source EPO over the counter with no prescription... isn't athletes speaking up about doping what the clinic wants?

hotrats said:
Really? The irony?

I can totally understand asking questions of British Cycling/Sky and being suspicious but to then turn this onto an athlete from another sport who has no connection to cycling who is upset at the fact her event was won by a known and guilty doper... from a country where it appears that you can source EPO over the counter with no prescription... isn't athletes speaking up about doping what the clinic wants?
Agreed on the athlete. The irony is in the media reporting.

Dalakhani said:
Oh, the irony...

To be fair Dobriskey is her own self and the fact that other British people won medals, got rich and got their faces into newspapers is not really going to be much consolation to her failing to achieve her own dream.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
hotrats said:
Dobriskey has form on speaking out about level playing fields. Can we not give her some credit?

I do, even the commentator on tv pointed out Alptekin had some remarquable results last 2 years.

I find it interesting that she openly speaks out. Athletes who race together all the time know/feel when someone outdoes it I think, otherwise why speak out?

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
hotrats said:
Really? The irony?

Yes, the irony. The irony of it being a member of the GB team that's talking about how they can't win because of opponents who seem to be able to put in "surprising" performances when it comes time for the Olympics.

isn't athletes speaking up about doping what the clinic wants?

Sure... when they're speaking out about doping... rather than someone who is myopic and only speaks out against foreigners giving suspicious performances.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Dalakhani said:
Yes, the irony. The irony of it being a member of the GB team that's talking about how they can't win because of opponents who seem to be able to put in "surprising" performances when it comes time for the Olympics.

Sure... when they're speaking out about doping... rather than someone who is myopic and only speaks out against foreigners giving suspicious performances.

The same way you'e only focusing on supposed British suspicious performances?

Dalakhani said:

Again,

What does Lisa Dobriskey get from 50 other people wearing gb colours winning medals? What the **** does she care.

Her only concern going into these games was her own event the 1500m and she has a point that dopers may have cost her.

The fact that other people from her country may have doped in other events is of absolutely 0 importance.

Its like saying if some American comes up and wins the tdf 10 years from now that he doesnt deserve it because Armstrong used to dope:rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS