• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Valverde thread.

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

That is easily a top 3 bonkers performance for me.

- blocked on the sprint and lost momentum
- gave Sagan and van Poppel 10 or so metres lead
- has a full TdF of daily effort in his legs
- is using energy to chase down bonus seconds on a daily basis
- smokes past all opposition and wins by a bike length

I think plenty riders will feel robbed. How are men in their physical prime (who are apparently all doping according to some) being beaten by a middle aged man? Benjamin Button is a good nickname for him, but anti-doping hero Dave Millar thinks Valverde is riding purely on natural energy, so who am I to doubt it?

Time to change best young rider to 35yrs and below?

Escarabajo said:
Was that real????
That would be the worst journalism in the sports of cycling that I ever seen. LOL.

You should read more of the Daily Mail if you want to experience the worst of journalism in all spheres. That headline is just another example of their blinkered jingoistic idiocy.

Nomad said:
It's a total embarrassment to see a 28 yr old multi-green jersey winner & 3x WC get outkicked by a 38 yr old coming off a very serious knee injury, and at the tail end of his career. LMAO!

Well, now. Bala does have a way of bringing the circus to town, yes? Outsprinting Sagan. After a full TDF. At 38 years of age. With hair falling out. :lol:

By week 3, will we see him channeling Pappy Horner? Stay tuned.

I'm pretty sure Sagan also has a full TDF in his legs. Also Bala wasn't going for GC at the Tour and did sit up at the Tour on a couple of mountain stages and lost time. Plus he's always had a sprint.
Is he still doping, who knows. Is the entire peloton still doping, who knows.

Re:

Koronin said:
I'm pretty sure Sagan also has a full TDF in his legs. Also Bala wasn't going for GC at the Tour and did sit up at the Tour on a couple of mountain stages and lost time. Plus he's always had a sprint.
What's up with the name "Bala?" I always thought that he was referred to on The Clinic as "Piti"...you know his "codename" he used when he had that membership at Fuentes' blood doping club. Lol.

He may have "always had a sprint" but the guy is now 38 yrs old and coming off of major surgery for a displaced fractured patella and other lower leg injuries. And he didn't just outkick some chump - but Superman Sagan, who is a freaking decade younger than him!

This kind of stuff makes the sport so laughable when an aging, seriously injured, known doper is outkicking one of the best in the business. "Who knows" you ask? Maybe Spanish anti-doping is looking the other way? Lol.

Re:

Bolder said:
Stll, relative crickets in the Clinic as Valverde continues to defy logic and Father Time.
at this point it's old hat. What would you like to be said? Holding up a sprint result as indication of foul play seems a bit off the mark to me given that most known drugs focus on endurance / aerobic efforts, weight loss, recovery, etc. and not so much on individual anaerobic efforts.

Given Valv and Sagan's relative qualifications, you have to expect there is some inflection point of difficulty and duration of sprint and parcours leading up to the sprint which shifts from Sagan's favor to Valverde's favor, and at that inflection point they'd go toe to toe evenly.

Re: Re:

Nomad said:
Koronin said:
What's up with the name "Bala?" I always thought that he was referred to on The Clinic as "Piti"...you know his "codename" he used when he had that membership at Fuentes' blood doping club. Lol.

He may have "always had a sprint" but the guy is now 38 yrs old and coming off of major surgery for a displaced fractured patella and other lower leg injuries. And he didn't just outkick some chump - but Superman Sagan, who is a freaking decade younger than him!

This kind of stuff makes the sport so laughable when an aging, seriously injured, known doper is outkicking one of the best in the business. "Who knows" you ask? Maybe Spanish anti-doping is looking the other way? Lol.

Spain actually does have an anti doping law, but how many it's actually paid attention to or if anyone there actually cares is a totally different question.

Nomad said:
Koronin said:

That would mean all the other countries where he did well this year are looking the other way also, huh

Angliru said:
Nomad said:
Koronin said:

That would mean all the other countries where he did well this year are looking the other way also, huh
He's not outkicking World Champion Supermen in other countries wiseguy!

Nomad said:
Angliru said:
Nomad said:
Koronin said:

He's been out kicking World Champions and all the others in these kind of uphill sprints for the last 15 years, and he's doing it every freaking year! And he's doing it in every country wiseguy :rolleyes:

Blanco said:
Nomad said:
Angliru said:
Nomad said:
Koronin said:

He's been out kicking World Champions and all the others in these kind of uphill sprints for the last 15 years, and he's doing it every freaking year! And he's doing it in every country wiseguy :rolleyes:
Aren't riders only answerable to their own federations?

Re:

Bolder said:
Stll, relative crickets in the Clinic as Valverde continues to defy logic and Father Time.
What do you want to hear? that he is doping
Everyone knows him, and what he has done.

If he wins the Vuelta I am sure he will have some comments in here. But don't expect it to be overwhelming since we know him already.

Escarabajo said:
Bolder said:
What do you want to hear? that he is doping
Everyone knows him, and what he has done.

If he wins the Vuelta I am sure he will have some comments in here. But don't expect it to be overwhelming since we know him already.

I'm not sure what they are expecting either. I'm pretty sure we all know him and his history.

Sagan isn't close to peak shape this Vuelta. Hence he loses out on sprints against Bouhanni. Additionally the points system of the Vuelta heavily favors an uphill-sprinter like Valverde who's constantly around in the mountains as well. Beating Sagan for the green jersey at the 2018 Vuelta a Espana is one of the most naturally performances in Valverdes career.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Angliru said:
Nomad said:
Koronin said:

He hasn't won a Tour stage since 2012. Guy is the biggest doper in the history of the sport, especially when the race is in Spain.

He sucked at the Tour this year and now he can do all this? Lol.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site

El Pistolero said:
Angliru said:
Nomad said:
Koronin said:

He hasn't won a Tour stage since 2012. Guy is the biggest doper in the history of the sport, especially when the race is in Spain.

Any proof?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

lartiste said:
El Pistolero said:
Angliru said:
Nomad said:
Koronin said:

Any proof?

He comes from Kelme that experimented on their riders like Nazi's experimented on prisoners of war.

Anyone who rode for Kelme, and still denies anything happened there, has no moral compass to speak off.

Horrible team, horrible people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SOUJTiNY_I

TRENDING THREADS